Progressive won't pay.

Truckdriver
Edited Date/Time 12/16/2014 8:12am
Has anyone had any trouble with Progressive insurance? My friend has been with them since 2007. He has 3 bikes with full coverage insurance. One of the bikes had a weird crash and broke the frame. 2014 model with about 20 hours on it. The agent came out, looked at the bike and declared it totaled. The a few days later, they stated their son had ridden or raced on a MX track so they would not cover the claim.
So my question. Why would anyone insure with them if they won't cover a bike that has been on an MX track? What about theft? What about liability?
So if your at the local MX track just riding around and you hit and injure another rider. Because you were riding on a track your not covered? I believe I will be dropping my policy and switching to another insurance company. Bad deal for a company that sponsors the sport. I've been with them since 2001.

|
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
7/23/2014 8:23pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 8:26pm
Wait.... He said the bike was totalled for that?!?!

Call me old fashioned but I would just find a weld shop to fill that tab in with a thick bead then re-tap a hole when I got home....

And I guess I can't help with the claims question. I've never had insurance on a bike. I've ways been under the impression that you could get theft protection, but claims on broken parts/etc. wouldn't be covered.
dboivin
7/23/2014 8:27pm
who claims an mx bike on insurance??? no way would insurance cover an mx bike for incidental damage on a track around here. insurance only cover fire/theft stuff. unless he insured a specific activity (like racing) which would have an insane premium if the insurance company had any smarts.
mmitoptech
7/23/2014 8:37pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 8:39pm
MxKing809 wrote:
Wait.... He said the bike was totalled for that?!?! Call me old fashioned but I would just find a weld shop to fill that tab in...

Call me old fashioned but I would just find a weld shop to fill that tab in with a thick bead then re-tap a hole when I got home....

And I guess I can't help with the claims question. I've never had insurance on a bike. I've ways been under the impression that you could get theft protection, but claims on broken parts/etc. wouldn't be covered.
It was totaled because the frame alone is $2000.00 If you were to add up what it would cost to replace the frame (and whatever else was damaged) it would over value the bike, therefore it's "totaled".
Normally they will pay off the lien or pay the policy holder what they think the bike is worth and declare the title "salvage". What you do after that is up to you.

EDIT: Also depends on the coverage policy!
hbdesigns913
7/23/2014 8:40pm
My insurance policy through "Foremost" covers collision damage. I wanted theft only through my Allstate agent and they said they didn't have a theft only policy and if I raced that they couldn't cover it. To make a long story short, Allstate sent me to foremost for a full coverage type policy for $350 a year.

The Shop

MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
7/23/2014 8:42pm
MxKing809 wrote:
Wait.... He said the bike was totalled for that?!?! Call me old fashioned but I would just find a weld shop to fill that tab in...

mmitoptech wrote:
It was totaled because the frame alone is $2000.00 If you were to add up what it would cost to replace the frame (and whatever else...
It was totaled because the frame alone is $2000.00 If you were to add up what it would cost to replace the frame (and whatever else was damaged) it would over value the bike, therefore it's "totaled".
Normally they will pay off the lien or pay the policy holder what they think the bike is worth and declare the title "salvage". What you do after that is up to you.

EDIT: Also depends on the coverage policy!
Yeah dude, I'm not an idiot. The frames not broken though. Two sub frame bolt holes are broken.... Big deal. Pay any respectful weld shop $100 bucks and get back out riding!!!!!
dboivin
7/23/2014 8:43pm
MxKing809 wrote:

yeah i'd fix that frame in about 30 minutes with my welder Smile fail to see the major issue here.
enketchum
7/23/2014 8:44pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 8:46pm
So where in his coverage policy does it say that dirt bikes that they cover are not covered if ridden on a closed course? If it isn't in the contract, take them to small claims court and get your money.

Why didn't they just say it happened when something in their garage fell on top of the bike? That's homeowners insurance, much easier to deal with.

I did not know you could get accident coverage on a dirt bike. If he crashed the bike and it was his fault, there really is no fault given on a closed course track, why is he expecting Progressive to pay to completely fix the bike? It doesn't work that way when you crash your car and it's your fault.....
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
7/23/2014 8:48pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 8:49pm
MxKing809 wrote:

dboivin wrote:
yeah i'd fix that frame in about 30 minutes with my welder Smile fail to see the major issue here.
I can't count how many subframes I've welded new exhaust tabs onto. My brothers RMZ was terrible.

I guess if they're looking for a payout then fight it.... But I mean wow.... That's common mx shit right there, buy yourself a 10mm tap and find an aluminium welder.

People really just buy a whole new frame?!?!
mmitoptech
7/23/2014 8:49pm
MxKing809 wrote:
Yeah dude, I'm not an idiot. The frames not broken though. Two sub frame bolt holes are broken.... Big deal. Pay any respectful weld shop $100...
Yeah dude, I'm not an idiot. The frames not broken though. Two sub frame bolt holes are broken.... Big deal. Pay any respectful weld shop $100 bucks and get back out riding!!!!!
To an ins. company, the frame is broken and needs to be replaced, not fixed. I know you're not an idiot. You asked why it was "totaled".
I would fix it too. I wouldn't make a claim to an ins. co. for that either.
7/23/2014 8:56pm
Typically the contract mentions not covering damages during a competition (same goes if you took your car to autocross). Some don't cover anything on closed courses. Read the contract and pursue your options from there is pretty much where you are at.
jhansen510
Fantasy
3595th
7/23/2014 8:58pm
Insurance is nothing more than expensive air. I deal with people everyday who are being raped by their insurance co.
enketchum
7/23/2014 9:01pm
mmitoptech wrote:
To an ins. company, the frame is broken and needs to be replaced, not fixed. I know you're not an idiot. You asked why it was...
To an ins. company, the frame is broken and needs to be replaced, not fixed. I know you're not an idiot. You asked why it was "totaled".
I would fix it too. I wouldn't make a claim to an ins. co. for that either.
You are an MMI Top Tech, can you fix it for him?
scooter5002
7/23/2014 9:02pm
Young lad I knew about 10 years ago had his bike stolen out of their garage, had coverage, and went to the insurance co. for a payout. Apparently, someone at the office had seen the previous weekends newspaper, with the local race results in it. Payout denied, same reason. Bike was ridden in a race, on a closed course. Now I'm guessing they didn't read the fine print before signing the coverage forms, but the company had no problem taking their money, despite the bike being a CR125. Maybe that should have raised a red flag on the insurance co.'s part, but I guess the onus does fall on the policy holder for "full disclosure".
enketchum
7/23/2014 9:02pm
Typically the contract mentions not covering damages during a competition (same goes if you took your car to autocross). Some don't cover anything on closed courses...
Typically the contract mentions not covering damages during a competition (same goes if you took your car to autocross). Some don't cover anything on closed courses. Read the contract and pursue your options from there is pretty much where you are at.
Why the **** did they tell the insurance company it happened at a track? I was just riding it through the open desert and....
7/23/2014 9:03pm
generally they would cover it while at your home, also to and from the track...

Xeno
7/23/2014 9:05pm
Wait a minute- you can get collision coverage for an MX bike?
So, what's to stop someone from buying a new bike, insuring it, ride the piss out of it, then have a "collision" with a quad that will total the bike?
7/23/2014 9:07pm
enketchum wrote:
Why the **** did they tell the insurance company it happened at a track? I was just riding it through the open desert and....
I wouldn't personally recommend insurance fraud for such cheap fix, but yeah you could do that.
gharmon
7/23/2014 9:10pm
Typically the contract mentions not covering damages during a competition (same goes if you took your car to autocross). Some don't cover anything on closed courses...
enketchum wrote:
Every time one of us gets hurt on our bike I always say we were just riding in a cow pasture. I don't know if they cover for health insurance while on a track or not. I don't care to find out. I just use the above mentioned excuse.
enketchum
7/23/2014 9:11pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 9:11pm
Xeno wrote:
Wait a minute- you can get collision coverage for an MX bike? So, what's to stop someone from buying a new bike, insuring it, ride the...
So, what's to stop someone from buying a new bike, insuring it, ride the piss out of it, then have a "collision" with a quad that will total the bike?
I was thinking about this, too. The one guy said he had full coverage for 350 a year. That's like getting half your money back each year to buy a new bike when yours gets run over by a water truck at the track.... every September
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
7/23/2014 9:13pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 9:13pm
Xeno wrote:
Wait a minute- you can get collision coverage for an MX bike? So, what's to stop someone from buying a new bike, insuring it, ride the...
enketchum wrote:
I was thinking about this, too. The one guy said he had full coverage for 350 a year. That's like getting half your money back each...
I was thinking about this, too. The one guy said he had full coverage for 350 a year. That's like getting half your money back each year to buy a new bike when yours gets run over by a water truck at the track.... every September
Those damned water trucks..... They'll get ya!!!..... They'll always get ya.....
enketchum
7/23/2014 9:13pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 9:15pm
gharmon wrote:
Every time one of us gets hurt on our bike I always say we were just riding in a cow pasture. I don't know if they...
Every time one of us gets hurt on our bike I always say we were just riding in a cow pasture. I don't know if they cover for health insurance while on a track or not. I don't care to find out. I just use the above mentioned excuse.
Health insurance is health insurance. You pay a high premium because they cover whatever you get into health wise. The real problem is that if you get really sick, they usually only pay up to 100k-150k per health 'problem'. Cancer treatment for 3 years? That's one 'problem'. It cost you 400k to stay alive? Sorry, we can only pay 150k of that. Thanks and keep paying your premiums each month
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
7/23/2014 9:27pm
I cant believe anyone would even try to collect on collision insurance on a race bike. I cant believe that a insurance company would even put collision on a race bike but why not because they will never pay because its a race bike. I am more impressed that people have found full coverage insurance for a race bike. Now getting fire and theft insurance makes sense.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
7/23/2014 9:38pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 9:45pm
enketchum wrote:
Health insurance is health insurance. You pay a high premium because they cover whatever you get into health wise. The real problem is that if you...
Health insurance is health insurance. You pay a high premium because they cover whatever you get into health wise. The real problem is that if you get really sick, they usually only pay up to 100k-150k per health 'problem'. Cancer treatment for 3 years? That's one 'problem'. It cost you 400k to stay alive? Sorry, we can only pay 150k of that. Thanks and keep paying your premiums each month
You have so much wrong information its funny have you not read a paper or watched the news the last few years or even looked at how your health insurance has changed ???. The affordable care act (obamacare) changed insurance rules so your coverage won’t top out,so if it costs 400k to stay alive they pay 400K The law also states that you must have health insurance.

Health reform ended lifetime limits in 2010, meaning health plans can no longer cap the amount of money spent on essential health benefits during the entire time you are enrolled in the plan. And beginning in 2014, the law prohibits health plans from imposing annual limits. Also you can get covered for preexisting conditions and keep your kids on your plan until their 26.
enketchum
7/23/2014 10:19pm
Just because it's law, doesn't mean it's not happening
gharmon
7/23/2014 10:25pm
gharmon wrote:
Every time one of us gets hurt on our bike I always say we were just riding in a cow pasture. I don't know if they...
enketchum wrote:
Health insurance is health insurance. You pay a high premium because they cover whatever you get into health wise. The real problem is that if you...
Guess I should have mentioned I was mainly referring to AFLAC. I know they have a clause that you cannot be in a "race" but it doesn't say you can't be on a " race track" just not in "a race". I don't care about the wording. I don't take a chance. I don't even bring the track up .
7/23/2014 10:32pm
They would never cover a broken part on the bike that happend when riding on a track, they will cover stolen bikes though.. And i wouldnt consider that totaled. If you were an OCD guy and needed a new frame its still not totaled... 2000 bucks for a frame and the bike is worth wayyyyyyyy more than that... Get a local shop to tig weld the piece back on and call it a day..
The Rock
7/24/2014 12:08am
dboivin wrote:
who claims an mx bike on insurance??? no way would insurance cover an mx bike for incidental damage on a track around here. insurance only cover...
who claims an mx bike on insurance??? no way would insurance cover an mx bike for incidental damage on a track around here. insurance only cover fire/theft stuff. unless he insured a specific activity (like racing) which would have an insane premium if the insurance company had any smarts.
Back in the 70s Scott Hause's AKA Mr. Wild's bike got fire and was burnt to a crisp but his parent's insurance covered it.

My mom was able to get insurance on some bikes but it was for theft only.
The Rock
7/24/2014 12:11am
lostboy819 wrote:
You have so much wrong information its funny have you not read a paper or watched the news the last few years or even looked at...
You have so much wrong information its funny have you not read a paper or watched the news the last few years or even looked at how your health insurance has changed ???. The affordable care act (obamacare) changed insurance rules so your coverage won’t top out,so if it costs 400k to stay alive they pay 400K The law also states that you must have health insurance.

Health reform ended lifetime limits in 2010, meaning health plans can no longer cap the amount of money spent on essential health benefits during the entire time you are enrolled in the plan. And beginning in 2014, the law prohibits health plans from imposing annual limits. Also you can get covered for preexisting conditions and keep your kids on your plan until their 26.
The affordable care act (obamacare) changed insurance rules so your coverage won’t top out,so if it costs 400k to stay alive they pay 400K The law also states that you must have health insurance.

Is this a bad thing or a good thing? If I was dying and needed 400K to live I think it would be a good thing.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
7/24/2014 12:33am
lostboy819 wrote:
You have so much wrong information its funny have you not read a paper or watched the news the last few years or even looked at...

The Rock wrote:
[i]The affordable care act (obamacare) changed insurance rules so your coverage won’t top out,[b]so if it costs 400k to stay alive they pay 400K [/b]The law...
The affordable care act (obamacare) changed insurance rules so your coverage won’t top out,so if it costs 400k to stay alive they pay 400K The law also states that you must have health insurance.

Is this a bad thing or a good thing? If I was dying and needed 400K to live I think it would be a good thing.
Even though I don't think the government should be in the health care business, there a a few good things in it.I think its a good thing that they removed the caps with the cost of treatments it does not take much to have medical bills run in the hundreds of thousands. I had a 5 hour surgery and 4 days in the hospital and the hospital bill was 88k and that didn't even include the doctors fee's

Post a reply to: Progressive won't pay.

The Latest