Professional sports in Florida are getting the green light to resume production after the Florida Governor's Office deemed them "essential services."

fullfloater
Fantasy
13th
4/14/2020 6:51pm Edited Date/Time 4/14/2020 6:53pm
From NBC Sports:

Florida is paving the way for a return of sports, provided no fans are present.

A memo circulated by Jared Moskowitz, state coordinating officer for the Florida Division of Emergency Management, has decreed that sports are to be considered “essential services” for the purpose of the executive order on the COVID-19 public health emergency.

The memo says that people who are allowed to work during the pandemic include “Employees at a professional sports and media production with a national audience — including any athletes, entertainers, production team, executive team, media team and any others necessary to facilitate including services supporting such production — only if the location is closed to the general public.”

In other words, nationally televised pro sports could take place in empty arenas in Florida.

The WWE has already taken advantage of that ruling, and aired Monday Night Raw last night from its Orlando training center.

This does not mean the Dolphins, Buccaneers and Jaguars can return to work: The NFL has ruled that no team may begin working at its facility until all 32 teams are allowed to return.

But it does show that pro sports may be able to return sooner than some are expecting, at least in Florida and any other states willing to let them. For the NFL, the start of the season is still far enough away that no one really knows what the situation is going to be by then, but other pro sports may look to Florida as a place where they can get games going soon.

Just because putting on pro sporting events in Florida is legal, however, doesn’t mean it’s responsible. When “essential” services are exempted from stay-home orders, the idea is to allow businesses like grocery stores and pharmacies to stay open because people can’t live without food and medicine. Allowing nationally televised pro sports to take place is about the state of Florida making money off lucrative businesses, not about health and safety.
oldblood
4/14/2020 7:09pm
From NBC Sports: Florida is paving the way for a return of sports, provided no fans are present. A memo circulated by Jared Moskowitz, state coordinating...
From NBC Sports:

Florida is paving the way for a return of sports, provided no fans are present.

A memo circulated by Jared Moskowitz, state coordinating officer for the Florida Division of Emergency Management, has decreed that sports are to be considered “essential services” for the purpose of the executive order on the COVID-19 public health emergency.

The memo says that people who are allowed to work during the pandemic include “Employees at a professional sports and media production with a national audience — including any athletes, entertainers, production team, executive team, media team and any others necessary to facilitate including services supporting such production — only if the location is closed to the general public.”

In other words, nationally televised pro sports could take place in empty arenas in Florida.

The WWE has already taken advantage of that ruling, and aired Monday Night Raw last night from its Orlando training center.

This does not mean the Dolphins, Buccaneers and Jaguars can return to work: The NFL has ruled that no team may begin working at its facility until all 32 teams are allowed to return.

But it does show that pro sports may be able to return sooner than some are expecting, at least in Florida and any other states willing to let them. For the NFL, the start of the season is still far enough away that no one really knows what the situation is going to be by then, but other pro sports may look to Florida as a place where they can get games going soon.

Just because putting on pro sporting events in Florida is legal, however, doesn’t mean it’s responsible. When “essential” services are exempted from stay-home orders, the idea is to allow businesses like grocery stores and pharmacies to stay open because people can’t live without food and medicine. Allowing nationally televised pro sports to take place is about the state of Florida making money off lucrative businesses, not about health and safety.
Not about health and safety? I guess it's how you look at it.
FortyHat
4/14/2020 7:32pm
Motoxdoc wrote:
That’s par for Florida. I would expect nothing less. I’m surprised Georgia and Oklahoma aren’t already open. That’s awesome, when the rest of the world gets...
That’s par for Florida. I would expect nothing less. I’m surprised Georgia and Oklahoma aren’t already open. That’s awesome, when the rest of the world gets over the virus good ol Merica will ping pong it right back to them....then what will the virus be referred to as?
Mullet Flu

The Shop

oldblood
4/14/2020 8:14pm
How do you guys think vital is going to exist going forward if the doomsdayers get their way? All of these moto companies will fold, no more advertising. Better start charging for memberships.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
4/14/2020 10:55pm
oldblood wrote:
How do you guys think vital is going to exist going forward if the doomsdayers get their way? All of these moto companies will fold, no...
How do you guys think vital is going to exist going forward if the doomsdayers get their way? All of these moto companies will fold, no more advertising. Better start charging for memberships.
Now there's a doomsday scenario.

oldblood, relax.
4/15/2020 12:02am
Not going to happen for SX or MX. No ticket sales, no concession revenues, no profit. This is not NFL where TV contract can pay the bills.
4/15/2020 12:11am
So my post commenting on how it's good to see the world emerging from this crisis was removed???

Yet posts listing how many died today are still in here....

Interesting.

Barrett57
4/15/2020 12:20am
Isn't this just the first wave of Covid? Has there ever been any disease in history that has only ever had a single wave and then disappeared?
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
4/15/2020 12:33am
So my post commenting on how it's good to see the world emerging from this crisis was removed??? Yet posts listing how many died today are...
So my post commenting on how it's good to see the world emerging from this crisis was removed???

Yet posts listing how many died today are still in here....

Interesting.

Everyone's a critic. There were a lot of floaters that wouldn't go down in here. oldblood caught the double flush and he can rest a while.
kkawboy14
4/15/2020 3:11am Edited Date/Time 4/15/2020 3:12am
So everyone stays isolated for another month, then let out......a month later 1 guy that has corona virus flys over from say Russia......

Now what?
Dust601
4/15/2020 4:28am
It’s interesting, when WWE, or whatever it’s called now first requested they be considered essential they were denied. Couple days later they changed the ruling, and came out with this. Wonder how much $ it cost wrasslin to change their minds.

I don’t think this means much of anything for time being. Unless lots of states start heading in this direction.
4/15/2020 4:32am
kkawboy14 wrote:
So everyone stays isolated for another month, then let out......a month later 1 guy that has corona virus flys over from say Russia......

Now what?
Spanish flu hit use twice.
DonM
4/15/2020 8:06am
dedi684 wrote:
Travel bans. Wont have a race if half the people cant get there.
Where are the travel bans? Planes are still flying....
4/15/2020 9:00am
GuyB wrote:
Everyone's a critic. There were a lot of floaters that wouldn't go down in here. oldblood caught the double flush and he can rest a while.
Steve..I just didn't understand why that post was offensive/controversial. I was happy to see some light at the end of the tunnel....that's all.

Peace!

avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
4/15/2020 9:46am
kkawboy14 wrote:

Now what?
When it flares up again, and it will, it will come from within our borders because 99% of the country hasn't been tested yet.

That said, probably not a chance in hell MX runs this summer unless they figure out a way to make it financially viable to run the races without fans. SX could finish up because they can pull it off without a crowd (and those sponsor dollars FELD and the teams/riders are counting on).
4/15/2020 10:34am Edited Date/Time 4/15/2020 10:37am
kkawboy14 wrote:

Now what?
Trace and test like other successful countries.

Once you find him/her you backtrack and have potentially affected people get tested and isolate instead of the entire country. Using things like low frequency bluetooth on phones you find who that person was near within the last however many days and contact those people to test and self isolate. You also backtrack those people from the the present to when they were known to be in contact with subject A and do the same for their interactions. This is how South Korea has been doing it and they had their first confirmed case the same day as us with only 11,000 confirmed cases so far and a lot more of their economy remaining open. They have a population the size of California, Washington, Alaska, Hawaii and Oregon in a space smaller than Florida.
rileymx
4/15/2020 10:56am
kkawboy14 wrote:

Now what?
Trace and test like other successful countries. Once you find him/her you backtrack and have potentially affected people get tested and isolate instead of the entire...

Once you find him/her you backtrack and have potentially affected people get tested and isolate instead of the entire country. Using things like low frequency bluetooth on phones you find who that person was near within the last however many days and contact those people to test and self isolate. You also backtrack those people from the the present to when they were known to be in contact with subject A and do the same for their interactions. This is how South Korea has been doing it and they had their first confirmed case the same day as us with only 11,000 confirmed cases so far and a lot more of their economy remaining open. They have a population the size of California, Washington, Alaska, Hawaii and Oregon in a space smaller than Florida.
so in the land of the free and the brave, its people will be controlled by a surveillance device that records their every move and all their social life.....
i have see something around this ideia,but it was in films and in the end there were always this GI joes that came and saved those people from that oppressive regime in the name of freedom.....
since i now live in a small island in the middle of the atlantic, in a small community and i have a pc at home, i am really considering dropping the smartphone and start using one of those old ones that just do calls and text msg. i am loosing faith in humanity and its capacity to think......
4/15/2020 11:09am
Dust601 wrote:
It’s interesting, when WWE, or whatever it’s called now first requested they be considered essential they were denied. Couple days later they changed the ruling, and...
It’s interesting, when WWE, or whatever it’s called now first requested they be considered essential they were denied. Couple days later they changed the ruling, and came out with this. Wonder how much $ it cost wrasslin to change their minds.

I don’t think this means much of anything for time being. Unless lots of states start heading in this direction.
Linda McMahon (Vince' husband) was on the Cabinet, and now heads a PAC. WWE has a ton of political pull.
fullfloater
Fantasy
13th
4/15/2020 12:15pm
Sounds good. Davey just has to plow 18 mil into TV advertising to get the Florida national going.
tek14
4/15/2020 12:35pm
Just lockdown all SX riders to Daytona for 4 weeks and make their job to race twice a week.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
4/15/2020 12:38pm
kkawboy14 wrote:

Now what?
Trace and test like other successful countries. Once you find him/her you backtrack and have potentially affected people get tested and isolate instead of the entire...

rileymx wrote:
so in the land of the free and the brave, its people will be controlled by a surveillance device that records their every move and all...
so in the land of the free and the brave, its people will be controlled by a surveillance device that records their every move and all their social life.....
i have see something around this ideia,but it was in films and in the end there were always this GI joes that came and saved those people from that oppressive regime in the name of freedom.....
since i now live in a small island in the middle of the atlantic, in a small community and i have a pc at home, i am really considering dropping the smartphone and start using one of those old ones that just do calls and text msg. i am loosing faith in humanity and its capacity to think......
Yes, keep trusting in your fictional movies and throw away your evil devices...
motogrady
4/15/2020 1:03pm
I don’t think u can.
Most networks have upgraded to 3g.

Those old phones won’t work on the upgraded networks.

Imagine that.
Anton_514
4/15/2020 1:11pm
tek14 wrote:
Just lockdown all SX riders to Daytona for 4 weeks and make their job to race twice a week.
Give this a read. It's very extreme example of what procedures would be necessary for MLB to have crowd-free sporting events in full compliance with current guidelines. Some of it comes off as excessive, like the fact that players will have to basically ditch their families for weeks at a time, live at a hotel, and only go back and forth between the stadium and hotel. And there's no way motocross would do the same, but this will give you an idea of how complicated all of this is.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/04/10/sports-arent-coming-back-soon

On an international note, Macron has openly discussed in meetings with other EU countries that he doesn't think the group should open its borders to people from outside the Schengen Area until September. So, MXON?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tamarathiessen/2020/04/11/europe-borders-m…
motogrady
4/15/2020 1:15pm
I have a feelin. Almost a dream. A premonition maybe. Tall green trees.......lush green pastures......
no sand in sight.......a track with history........

It won’t be Mother’s Day, but something like that. Maybe, just maybe, this will be the date of this years first outdoors.

Or, was this just a dream?

https://youtu.be/w6qcafgLHe4
fullfloater
Fantasy
13th
4/15/2020 5:33pm
tek14 wrote:
Anton_514 wrote:
Give this a read. It's very extreme example of what procedures would be necessary for MLB to have crowd-free sporting events in full compliance with current...
Give this a read. It's very extreme example of what procedures would be necessary for MLB to have crowd-free sporting events in full compliance with current guidelines. Some of it comes off as excessive, like the fact that players will have to basically ditch their families for weeks at a time, live at a hotel, and only go back and forth between the stadium and hotel. And there's no way motocross would do the same, but this will give you an idea of how complicated all of this is.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/04/10/sports-arent-coming-back-soon

On an international note, Macron has openly discussed in meetings with other EU countries that he doesn't think the group should open its borders to people from outside the Schengen Area until September. So, MXON?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tamarathiessen/2020/04/11/europe-borders-m…
Even Fauci said the same thing. Doesn't work for SX/MX obviously, unless they limited it to the top 20 or something so they could track riders and teams. I'm sure FELD is evaluating Florida's decision but considering that they are already hoping for "regular" SX in the fall, there doesn't seem to be much of a reason to explore more radical alternatives.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the infectious disease expert who’s a part of the White House’s coronavirus task force, thinks sports can return sooner than later.

In a recent Snapchat interview, Fauci said sports could return if played in empty stadiums and with teams strictly quarantined in hotels in order to prevent the spread of coronavirus. Under such harsh restrictions, athletes wouldn’t be able to be exposed or spread the virus and could resume a season as usual.

“There’s a way of doing that,” Fauci said. “Nobody comes to the stadium. Put them in big hotels, wherever you want to play, keep them very well surveilled and have them tested every week and make sure they don’t wind up infecting each other or their family, and just let them play the season out.”

Currently, the NBA, NHL and MLB seasons are suspended indefinitely. The NFL, which is in its offseason, recently elected to hold a virtual draft. The PGA Tour is planning to start back up in June.

Fauci said he was sympathetic to the country’s longing for sports, adding that he’s a fan himself.

“People say, ‘Well, you know, you can’t play without spectators.’ Well, I think you’ll probably get enough buy-in from people who are dying to see a baseball game, particularly me,” Fauci said. “Living in Washington, we have the world champion Washington Nationals. I want to see them play again.”

He might get that chance if MLB’s Arizona plan comes to fruition. Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey said Tuesday he’s open to MLB’s plan, bringing all of its teams to his state to play out the season and have them quarantined in hotels when not playing.

“Two words that would allow the country and the state of Arizona to know that things were headed back to normal would be, ‘Play ball,'” Ducey said.

Though there are many logistical obstacles for MLB to overcome, some players support the idea. ESPN’s Jeff Passan said this week, “It seems like it’s going to be Arizona or bust for Major League Baseball.”

Post a reply to: Professional sports in Florida are getting the green light to resume production after the Florida Governor's Office deemed them "essential services."

The Latest