Professional sports in Florida are getting the green light to resume production after the Florida Governor's Office deemed them "essential services."

Related:
Create New Tag

4/13/2020 11:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/13/2020 11:56 PM

WWE but is this some potential good news for the Florida national -- even if it's no spectators? Quick round of SX? wink

The order that was signed on Thursday states that employees at professional sports and media production with a national audience can continue only if the location is closed to the general public. This essential service was added because it is critical to Florida's economy, officials told CNN.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/13/us/wwe-essential-business-trnd/index.html

|

4/14/2020 12:01 AM

Let Ricky design five more rounds of Daytona to finish off the season. Loop-de-loops and wall jumps galore!

|

4/14/2020 12:10 AM

i dont know how i feel about this. florida hasnt handled this situation the best in the first place. if you look at japan, they had pretty good control of this and started to relax restrictions and their cases have rebounded badly the past few weeks. i want to ride and watch SX/MX as bad as anyone else but im skeptical. It is no audience so i guess florida is gonna be the guinea pig

|

4/14/2020 12:33 AM

dimesandrhymes wrote:

i dont know how i feel about this. florida hasnt handled this situation the best in the first place. if you look at japan, they had pretty good control of this and started to relax restrictions and their cases have rebounded badly the past few weeks. i want to ride and watch SX/MX as bad as anyone else but im skeptical. It is no audience so i guess florida is gonna be the guinea pig

Yes, bit of a wild decision, especially if they say oh, we only meant the WWE. There are literally hundreds of national audience sports that could presumably run an event in FL.

|

4/14/2020 12:36 AM

Photo
|

4/14/2020 12:56 AM

Never thought I’d say it, but God bless Florida.

|

4/14/2020 1:02 AM

Photo

|

- Filthy Euro
- Silly prankster
- Life-long Zook fan
- Rooting for all privateers on this rotating ball of carbon, hydrogen, silicon and poop

4/14/2020 1:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2020 1:13 AM

How long would it take FELD to get everything back up and running assuming they can find a venue (their headquarters is in Tampa I believe)?

Obviously it’s a completely hypothetical question and some wishful thinking of course but it seems to maybe be an option. Although I understand that it would likely be very irresponsible to try anything like that right now.

|

4/14/2020 3:55 AM

jorgechavez wrote:

How long would it take FELD to get everything back up and running assuming they can find a venue (their headquarters is in Tampa I believe)?

Obviously it’s a completely hypothetical question and some wishful thinking of course but it seems to maybe be an option. Although I understand that it would likely be very irresponsible to try anything like that right now.

At least 7 days. No.... wait..... I say a week. Final answer.

|

4/14/2020 5:01 AM

Under those rules, we’re more likely to see SX than MX. There would be little to no chance a race happens without fans at WW, as it doesn’t make financial sense for the promoters and puts the season in uncertainty, especially if states that have later rounds might not ease up their restrictions.

Things we haven’t discussed but might want to keep in mind:

What if riders say they don’t want to risk it right now? An illness that damages lungs isn’t good for our guys and this could be what someone takes a stand against.

Part supply chain needs to be figured out, because most companies have furloughed employees, reduced workloads, and financial situations they need to get through first. Do not be surprised if some brands don’t make it through this.

Are we going to do screenings of every person that comes through the gate? Because I’m sure that will be somewhere in the guidelines. Who is going to spend the money and facilitate that?

What about if someone comes down with it and it spreads to a larger portion of the paddock? We already see how easy these guys pass around the flu each year. You all just discussed Webb at A1/Osborne at STL a few weeks ago.

I want to be back at the races as much as anyone, but we’re so far from that happening. Don’t let emotion override commonsense.

|

4/14/2020 5:12 AM

It would take just one infected person taking part in riders meeting to spread the virus to whole group. After that it would be impossible to arrange next race...

|

4/14/2020 5:24 AM

It’s never fun to get in a crowded commercial airliner.
Maybe something good will come out of this COVID-19 predicament? Professional football teams and European soccer teams travel in a team jet. That way you’re only at the mercy of the “weakest link”, the player who doesn’t keep safe, rather than 200+ total strangers.
Wouldn’t it be cool if Factory Riders returned to traveling in Box Vans? The mechanic and rider traveling between the AMA National events together. The 18 wheeler could still be at the track with spare parts, bikes, and hospitality.

The best part of the rider being in the box van during the week is that you’d see them at private tracks across this great country, and sometimes even at local races between AMA Nationals. Racing against Baden Manneh and Eddie Hicks at Evansville Supercross in PA, riding with Ricky Johnson, Johnny O’Mara and Jeff Stanton at Croome, and many more in the mid-1980’s.
I hope this doesn’t sounds as “far out” as some of Cooksey’s ridiculous ideas.

Photo

|

4/14/2020 5:27 AM

Travel bans. Wont have a race if half the people cant get there.

|

4/14/2020 7:17 AM

GangGreen wrote:

It’s never fun to get in a crowded commercial airliner.
Maybe something good will come out of this COVID-19 predicament? Professional football teams and European soccer teams travel in a team jet. That way you’re only at the mercy of the “weakest link”, the player who doesn’t keep safe, rather than 200+ total strangers.
Wouldn’t it be cool if Factory Riders returned to traveling in Box Vans? The mechanic and rider traveling between the AMA National events together. The 18 wheeler could still be at the track with spare parts, bikes, and hospitality.

The best part of the rider being in the box van during the week is that you’d see them at private tracks across this great country, and sometimes even at local races between AMA Nationals. Racing against Baden Manneh and Eddie Hicks at Evansville Supercross in PA, riding with Ricky Johnson, Johnny O’Mara and Jeff Stanton at Croome, and many more in the mid-1980’s.
I hope this doesn’t sounds as “far out” as some of Cooksey’s ridiculous ideas.

Photo

this place never ceasses to amaze me.......
this topic all together, but specially this post in this topic is really like gold !!!!!!

|

4/14/2020 7:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2020 8:05 AM

I think the fact the humans think sports entertainment as an essential service is one piece of evidence for the decadence of man and disconnection of man and earth. You think the mountain men that live off grid are laughing at us before, how about now? We have lost our orientation. The fluffy things of life are now relied upon as essential, this is madness.

If sports entertainment is essential then I guess candy manufacturers should be as well. What a joke.

|

4/14/2020 7:38 AM

rjg wrote:

I think the fact the humans think sports entertainment as an essential service is one piece of evidence for the decadence of man and disconnection of man and earth. You think the mountain men that live off grid are laughing at us before, how about now? We have lost our orientation. The fluffy things of life are now relied upon as essential, this is madness.

If sports entertainment is essential then I guess candy manufacturers should be as well. What a joke.

This. Well said.

|

4/14/2020 8:31 AM

Anton brings up a great point: what does the parts budgets and sponsor allocations look like 30, 60, 90 days out? While we may have a rough schedule, that is still subject to change, and what does travel arrangements look like in a similar time period? Don’t think it’s as simple as “just show up and race” with so many unknowns.

|

4/14/2020 9:28 AM

That’s par for Florida. I would expect nothing less. I’m surprised Georgia and Oklahoma aren’t already open. That’s awesome, when the rest of the world gets over the virus good ol Merica will ping pong it right back to them....then what will the virus be referred to as?

|

4/14/2020 9:29 AM

Anton_514 wrote:

Under those rules, we’re more likely to see SX than MX. There would be little to no chance a race happens without fans at WW, as it doesn’t make financial sense for the promoters and puts the season in uncertainty, especially if states that have later rounds might not ease up their restrictions.

What if riders say they don’t want to risk it right now? An illness that damages lungs isn’t good for our guys and this could be what someone takes a stand against.

Part supply chain needs to be figured out, because most companies have furloughed employees, reduced workloads, and financial situations they need to get through first. Do not be surprised if some brands don’t make it through this.

Are we going to do screenings of every person that comes through the gate? Because I’m sure that will be somewhere in the guidelines. Who is going to spend the money and facilitate that?

What about if someone comes down with it and it spreads to a larger portion of the paddock? We already see how easy these guys pass around the flu each year. You all just discussed Webb at A1/Osborne at STL a few weeks ago.

I want to be back at the races as much as anyone, but we’re so far from that happening. Don’t let emotion override commonsense.

I've been thinking, what does Roczen think about rushing back to racing? If he contracts the virus, there's more than an insignificant chance he could die with his immune system problems.

|

4/14/2020 9:59 AM

Maybe this is aimed more at easily controlled 'made for TV' events than a motocross race with hundreds of riders/support personnel?

|

4/14/2020 10:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2020 10:11 AM

Time to change the site name to EssentialMX.

|

4/14/2020 10:16 AM

davis224 wrote:

I've been thinking, what does Roczen think about rushing back to racing? If he contracts the virus, there's more than an insignificant chance he could die with his immune system problems.

Well, Dr. Davis...can you show us this rush back to racing, or how things will be in the future? I think we're all figuring it out as we go...and that includes Ken.

|

4/14/2020 10:58 AM

I cannot speak directly for the sporting world, but for the working man I think this is a good thing. I think that letting people think and decide for themselves is the best way to go. Let business resume and let whatever diseases are out there run their course. Let people decide for themselves if they should be out and about or stay home and protect themselves. Why should it be up to some authority figure to command the entire population what to do? Not to mention that I would like to get back out on my local track, and also that it would be great to watch professional racing again.

|

4/14/2020 12:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2020 12:32 PM

Hold some events at the goat farm and bagget’s.... im sure they would be happy to make some money

Would be fun to see some outdoor supercross during the day.

|

4/14/2020 12:37 PM

I vote Lets go back to Daytona, and i So hope that the national in Florida goes down as expected, if it does i think i'm gonna go, it wasn't in my plans but after all this being cooped up, I think i'm gonna go if it happens.

|

4/14/2020 12:50 PM

Anton_514 wrote:

I have heard this argument about SX versus MX: that the MX tracks need the spectator money to make it worth it because they don't have TV money. However, doesn't that assume that the promotor is doing just that: spending money promoting and bringing in all of the resources to house a ton of fans? If the person who owns the track just preps it well and MX Sports puts up some banners, the cost is surely able to be offset rather easily. Hell, Budds Creek has the track prepped pretty well year round. Anyways, can you explain what I am missing?

|

4/14/2020 1:24 PM

Anton_514 wrote:

davis224 wrote:

GuyB wrote:

Well, Dr. Davis...can you show us this rush back to racing, or how things will be in the future? I think we're all figuring it out as we go...and that includes Ken.

Dang, I was just asking a legit question! unsure I can't and I can't. I was referencing above posts wanting to go racing in Florida. I'm in agreeance with you, hang tight and see where it goes. Apologies if I worded it poorly/pushed a hypothetical too far.

|

4/14/2020 1:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2020 1:58 PM

Tarz483 wrote:

I vote Lets go back to Daytona, and i So hope that the national in Florida goes down as expected, if it does i think i'm gonna go, it wasn't in my plans but after all this being cooped up, I think i'm gonna go if it happens.

As I suggested a couple weeks ago, Daytona has huge bleachers never full usually, assigned seating with distancing. No spectators in the pits, no unnecessary personnel in the pits. Distancing in the pits.

|

"If you are going through HELL, keep going."-Winston Churchill
"A man needs a little madness or else he never dares cut the rope and be free"-Zorba
Blur the technicolor

4/14/2020 2:19 PM

Besides venue fees how is it good for Florida's economy if there are no spectators spending money and travelling? Does TV revenue figure in to this somehow? Just trying to understand how empty venues support local economies.

|

4/14/2020 3:16 PM

I am sure people looking at the data from the last 4 days are seeing a drop in death rates and speculate we are good to go.

So far today, we've exceeded the peak with over 2200 deaths... epicenter like new York might be getting better, but other areas might just be getting going.

Very sad news, and best wishes to the people and their families affected. And also sad for the rest of the world trying to get business back going again

Photo

|