Pro riders not wearing neck protection

chase187
1/26/2012 8:06am
It's such a hard decision to make (for me personally), i would pay the money if the they were proved to be life saving equipment but...
It's such a hard decision to make (for me personally), i would pay the money if the they were proved to be life saving equipment but theres so many horror stories as there is life saving stories. Then after i make that deicision i have the decision of picking between Leatt or Alpinestar, can anyone help me with what one to get?
Atlas, doesn't have the controversial hard part on the center of your spine
1/26/2012 8:09am
i have been told that Reed stop wearing his Astar one after Andrew 'Sharkey' Farlane died with head injuries, many believe that neck braces cause head...
i have been told that Reed stop wearing his Astar one after Andrew 'Sharkey' Farlane died with head injuries, many believe that neck braces cause head injuries and this is what killed Sharkey. Whether this is true or not hasn't been proved, but it was enough to scare Reed into not wearing one
TerryK wrote:
Digging up a two year old thread instead of starting a new one? First post fail.
i searched the question on google and this came up lol, never realised how old it was, just became a member to write that and this is the first time i've been on this website
DrSweden
1/26/2012 8:27am
i searched the question on google and this came up lol, never realised how old it was, just became a member to write that and this...
i searched the question on google and this came up lol, never realised how old it was, just became a member to write that and this is the first time i've been on this website
No worries on my behalf. I think there's a more recent one where Ryan Huges complains over the Leatt and put his less thoughtful ideas out to the public via his twitter, and that thread I think the discussion went pretty good after a while other than Huges Brain fart and the usual fuck him BS.

Anyway, I'm a supporter of the idea despite so far no evidence, but despite the spine thing with the Leatt, they have put down more testing (I think that's the case) than the others, and have a more professional approach on homepage, and they have people talking about their gadget, putting their name and reputation on line to protect their thing. And just because the Atlas have a diff configuration with the spine thing visually doesn't really prove anything when talking about hard end points, as: Does this gadget reduce spinal cord injuries...

Good luck with your investment!
dpingree101
1/26/2012 10:36am
If you need research go to Leatt's website and do some reading. Or, have a look at the crash photo from last weekend with Trey and Ryan. Trey was wearing a brace and does not have C-spine injury {despite being crushed by a 450]. Morais was not wearing one and has a broken C2, C3, C4, C6 and T1. Luckily his cord was not damaged or displaced. Canards injury was much lower and likely caused by Ryan's rear wheel which hit him in the center of his back. Reed insists that Sharky was killed because he had a brace on but there is a lot more to the story there. I don't know why Dungey and some of the others have stopped wearing them. As for me, I wear one. If you see photos of me without it they are at least a year old. I went back and forth for a long time between the A-stars, Leatt and nothing at all and then made my choice. We each make our own decisions and with the available information and a little common sense I made mine.

The Shop

kawi195
1/26/2012 10:47am
not to sounds like an ass but you guys should really do research on the leatt before you start making assumptions about it the back piece flexes so much when force is applied to it that it wouldnt push into your spine and also it is almost impossible for the leatt to come in contact with a collar bone. The guys that break their collar bones are just as likely to break it whether they are wearing a neck brace or not the force is always from the side when you break your collar bone never from the front.
kawi195
1/26/2012 10:49am
if someones back bends enough for the leatt to put a huge force of pressure on their spine they have bigger issues
flyinb501
Fantasy
272nd
1/26/2012 11:04am
For those concerned about the energy transfer to the lower spine have you read this? Makes a lot of sense.

"For those that don't wear a brace because it transfers forces lower in the spine, think about this. First of all, the thoracic spine is composed of larger vertebrae that also get a lot of support from the surrounding muscles and rib cage. The cervical spine is made up of smaller vertebae, has no axial support from other parts of the body, and has much more freedom to flex and extend. This means that it takes considerably more force to fracture the thoracic spine than it takes to fracture the cervical spine. In addition, due to the lack of support, a cervical fracture is much more likely to displace, causing an injury to the spinal cord. For these reasons, it makes a lot of sense to transmit forces from a weak area to a stronger area. If the forces in an accident are great enough to cause a neck brace to break the thoracic spine, those forces would surely cause a fracture of the weaker c-spine if the neck brace was not there. In addition, in the worst case scenario where a severe accident wearing a neck brace did cause a thoracic spine fracture with associated spinal cord injury, having the cord injury lower in the spine could make the difference between paralysis involving the entire torso, arms and legs, and paralysis involving only the legs. Just as seat belts can break your pelvis and airbags can break your arms, the alternative without them would almost positively be much worse."
flyinb501
Fantasy
272nd
1/26/2012 11:05am
If you need research go to Leatt's website and do some reading. Or, have a look at the crash photo from last weekend with Trey and...
If you need research go to Leatt's website and do some reading. Or, have a look at the crash photo from last weekend with Trey and Ryan. Trey was wearing a brace and does not have C-spine injury {despite being crushed by a 450]. Morais was not wearing one and has a broken C2, C3, C4, C6 and T1. Luckily his cord was not damaged or displaced. Canards injury was much lower and likely caused by Ryan's rear wheel which hit him in the center of his back. Reed insists that Sharky was killed because he had a brace on but there is a lot more to the story there. I don't know why Dungey and some of the others have stopped wearing them. As for me, I wear one. If you see photos of me without it they are at least a year old. I went back and forth for a long time between the A-stars, Leatt and nothing at all and then made my choice. We each make our own decisions and with the available information and a little common sense I made mine.
So what brand do you wear now Ping? My GF got me a Leatt Carbon Pro for Christmas. Can't wait to try it out.
mxb2
1/26/2012 12:20pm
If you need research go to Leatt's website and do some reading. Or, have a look at the crash photo from last weekend with Trey and...
flyinb501 wrote:
So what brand do you wear now Ping? My GF got me a Leatt Carbon Pro for Christmas. Can't wait to try it out.
Whatever he gets free LOL!
yamaha581
1/26/2012 12:26pm
No its more like I notice when its not there, I dont notice when I have it on
DrSweden
1/26/2012 1:22pm
Tnx for the input. You have any opinions about pro riders using them vs not using them and how much $ is the decider?
PressPassP
1/26/2012 1:35pm
flyinb501 wrote:
Just out of curiosity... Does anyone have any stories of riders with neck injuries that were wearing a neck brace? You don't really ever seem to...
Just out of curiosity... Does anyone have any stories of riders with neck injuries that were wearing a neck brace? You don't really ever seem to hear about them. Coincidence?
Good point,anyone got a link to anything like this?

Post a reply to: Pro riders not wearing neck protection

The Latest