Pro riders not wearing neck protection

Moto619
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 5:59pm
Hey guys i'm new to the forum and have a question. Why is it now that alot of pro riders that used to wear neck protection are not wearing them anymore? There is a ever growing list such as Weimer,MC,Josh Grant,Cheyne Boyd (aussie),Ping,Townley and Rattray to name a few. This is not a rant about pro's should be setting a example or anything like that it is just a question. Does it come down to money or have they information that they don't help you at all in the event of a crash?
Thanks
|
10/17/2010 11:22pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2010 11:22pm
Moto619 wrote:
Hey guys i'm new to the forum and have a question. Why is it now that alot of pro riders that used to wear neck protection...
Hey guys i'm new to the forum and have a question. Why is it now that alot of pro riders that used to wear neck protection are not wearing them anymore? There is a ever growing list such as Weimer,MC,Josh Grant,Cheyne Boyd (aussie),Ping,Townley and Rattray to name a few. This is not a rant about pro's should be setting a example or anything like that it is just a question. Does it come down to money or have they information that they don't help you at all in the event of a crash?
Thanks
they probably werent given one for this season...
akmx17
10/18/2010 12:09am
Despite what you may believe, not everyone believes in neck braces.
Why wear something if you don't have complete faith its actually helping you more then its harming you or could harm you?
mx757
10/18/2010 12:24am
7 pager...
mx836
10/18/2010 1:27am
Personally I haven't tried a kneck brace nor am I interested. I would like all the protection I can get, but am not sold on them and have heard many horror stories along with all the "it saved my life" stories too.

The Shop

Moto619
10/18/2010 1:40am
Like I said akmx17 I didn't rant about my beleifs on neck support just why people who had once used them now don't. Their decesions are based around something just chasing information as I wear one and want to know if I shouldn't for some reason, that's all.
Moto619
10/18/2010 1:41am
Like I said akmx17 I didn't rant about my beleifs on neck support just why people who had once used them now don't. Their decesions are based around something just chasing information as I wear one and want to know if I shouldn't for some reason, that's all.
10/18/2010 2:23am Edited Date/Time 10/18/2010 2:25am
its because they're hardcore. One day they might realise they aren't

The only cases i've heard of neckbraces hurting people are collarbones, and I think its because of the force, which without the neckbrace would be absorbed by your neck
mxmaniac08
10/18/2010 2:24am
i am one of the" it saved me spinal cord or worse people'.. i have total faith in them after the surgeons comments
Old Mate
10/18/2010 2:25am
Jake has only worn one twice and broke his back both times,guess he is just a little scared to wear one now. I myself wish he would but im not him.
10/18/2010 2:29am
mxmaniac08 wrote:
i am one of the" it saved me spinal cord or worse people'.. i have total faith in them after the surgeons comments
x2

except the surgeons managed to put one of the screws in and touch the cord.
Ashleymx
10/18/2010 2:46am
Its simply complacency. Neck braces have reduced neck injury's over the last 4 or 5 years so now its not on riders minds like it was around the time of Fonsecas crash for example. Unfortunately as time goes by and more and more riders give them up we will see a pro suffer a serious neck injury again and that mind set will reset back to where it was 4 years ago. It will probably keep cycling like this and as time goes on we will see a pattern I'm sure. Give it 50 years.
NP301
10/18/2010 3:21am
Moto619 wrote:
Hey guys i'm new to the forum and have a question. Why is it now that alot of pro riders that used to wear neck protection...
Thanks
i don't where one!
akmx17
10/18/2010 3:31am
Moto619 wrote:
Like I said akmx17 I didn't rant about my beleifs on neck support just why people who had once used them now don't. Their decesions are...
Was not making a rant just a statement.

Riders who do not wear them simply dont believe they help or protect them.
Or think they can cause more harm then good.
WhKnuckle
10/18/2010 3:42am
Moto619 wrote:
Like I said akmx17 I didn't rant about my beleifs on neck support just why people who had once used them now don't. Their decesions are...
akmx17 wrote:
Was not making a rant just a statement. Riders who do not wear them simply dont believe they help or protect them. Or think they can...
Was not making a rant just a statement.

Riders who do not wear them simply dont believe they help or protect them.
Or think they can cause more harm then good.
That's it. They were all the rage for a while, then more and more riders wound up with injuries that they probably wouldn't have had if they hadn't been wearing them, so they're slowly stopping. It's becoming like chest protectors or knee braces, a personal decision.
jemcee
10/18/2010 3:43am
If i was still riding I would DEFINATELY wear one

but i'm not riding anymore because i broke my neck and I have no doubt a brace would have saved me but I've said this so many times and some people want more data and testing before they wear them so ... people will believe what they want

but i've had both a broken collarbone and a smashed c7 in my neck resulting in an almost complete severance of the spinal chord which means i can't feel or move anything below my nipples

no prizes for guessing which injury i'd rather
10/18/2010 5:40am
jemcee wrote:
If i was still riding I would [b]DEFINATELY[/b] wear one but i'm not riding anymore because i broke my neck and I have no doubt a...

but i'm not riding anymore because i broke my neck and I have no doubt a brace would have saved me but I've said this so many times and some people want more data and testing before they wear them so ... people will believe what they want

but i've had both a broken collarbone and a smashed c7 in my neck resulting in an almost complete severance of the spinal chord which means i can't feel or move anything below my nipples

have you thought about trying project walk or walk on?
jemcee
10/18/2010 5:58am
jemcee wrote:
If i was still riding I would [b]DEFINATELY[/b] wear one but i'm not riding anymore because i broke my neck and I have no doubt a...

have you thought about trying project walk or walk on?
yeah i have but i think project walk is pretty much what i did in the hospital..
for us we get free hospital rehab but in america they pretty much leave hospital after 4-6 weeks which is really fucked so thats why they need places like project walk

i was in the hospital for 8 months after my accident which was 5 days a week of rehab and pretty full on and to not sound negative but i'm pretty sure i've gotten back everything i'll get back unless there is some scientific developments and sometimes it seems promising but it's been 7 years since my accident and the research is kinda aimed at the freshly injured
that said i try to keep in good shape just in case some miracle happens but i'm gonna keep livin my life and not waiting around for it
Shawn142
10/18/2010 6:19am
its because they're hardcore. One day they might realise they aren't The only cases i've heard of neckbraces hurting people are collarbones, and I think its...
its because they're hardcore. One day they might realise they aren't

The only cases i've heard of neckbraces hurting people are collarbones, and I think its because of the force, which without the neckbrace would be absorbed by your neck
You might wanna ask Jake Moss how that worked out for him. There are multiple cases of neck braces still causing broken spines. They do help in certain situations but they are still a double edged sword not every rider wants to deal with.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
10/18/2010 6:23am
Akmx nailed it, until there is some facts behind neck braces, not everyone will wear one
Shenzi
Fantasy
1276th
10/18/2010 6:28am Edited Date/Time 10/18/2010 6:33am
Akmx nailed it, until there is some facts behind neck braces, not everyone will wear one
Absolutely.

and Rockcrawlerdude, don't forget that the top 10 who are wearing them are not "getting it for free", they are well paid to wear them.

I have always been mixed on the neck brace because of the protruding piece transferring the impact to the spine, I believe they can save in some situation and can harm in others. Tough call.
Since I have seen the Ortema though, I like the idea of transferring the impact and the force to the scapula/shoulder than the spine.
DanDunes818
10/18/2010 7:16am
When I started racing again in 08 everyone out at the track had one on. It actually scared the piss out of me that I couldn't afford one at the time. Because everyone else at the track had one it made me feel like I wasn't wearing a helmet when I didn't have one. Before they had neck braces , i of course, never thought about it but since everyone had one I felt like I was tempting fate by not wearing one.

What I'm getting at is ,whether they work or not, the companies that make them bank on the guys like me that ,because everyone has one, feel scared not to have one on. I personally think ,from what I've read, they need more independent testing done before I'd be totally sold on it. As of now most people wear them out of fear rather then wearing them because they know they'll help. When a companies #1 marketing campaign is fear rather than actual tests and real world results it makes me wonder. I think that it's the same w/parents out at the track. Most parents I talk to these days don't know if they work but if their little Johnny breaks his neck while not wearing a brace they'll feel guilty as hell so they buy one for little Johnny. If that neck brace breaks little Johny's collar bone the parents have been programed to think better the collar bone then the neck when in reality we really don't know if the neck brace does more harm then good.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
10/18/2010 7:49am
MCfan4life wrote:
Add Reed to that list also. No neckbrace at Newcastle
Reed - what the heck?
Shenzi
Fantasy
1276th
10/18/2010 7:58am
Beautiful photo. That dude still rocks one of the best riding style in MX.
ATKpilot99
10/18/2010 8:21am
Reed was wearing the A-Stars brace and honestly to me it looks like that brace would allow as much movement as a neck donut does. I was wearing a leatt until thinking about the forces the back of it could transfer to my spine. I have since went back to wearing my EVS rc2 neck donut along with my chest protector which seems to limit movement fairly well. I'm going to look into the Omega brace for next season.
downandup
10/18/2010 8:48am
When I started racing again in 08 everyone out at the track had one on. It actually scared the piss out of me that I couldn't...
When I started racing again in 08 everyone out at the track had one on. It actually scared the piss out of me that I couldn't afford one at the time. Because everyone else at the track had one it made me feel like I wasn't wearing a helmet when I didn't have one. Before they had neck braces , i of course, never thought about it but since everyone had one I felt like I was tempting fate by not wearing one.

What I'm getting at is ,whether they work or not, the companies that make them bank on the guys like me that ,because everyone has one, feel scared not to have one on. I personally think ,from what I've read, they need more independent testing done before I'd be totally sold on it. As of now most people wear them out of fear rather then wearing them because they know they'll help. When a companies #1 marketing campaign is fear rather than actual tests and real world results it makes me wonder. I think that it's the same w/parents out at the track. Most parents I talk to these days don't know if they work but if their little Johnny breaks his neck while not wearing a brace they'll feel guilty as hell so they buy one for little Johnny. If that neck brace breaks little Johny's collar bone the parents have been programed to think better the collar bone then the neck when in reality we really don't know if the neck brace does more harm then good.
Well written.

Totally agree.
10/18/2010 9:01am
MCfan4life wrote:
Ramrod wrote:
Reed - what the heck?[img]https://www.motoonline.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/reed-newcastle-pr-2.jpg[/img]
Reed - what the heck?
He looks like a giant on that thing, no wonder sapps had issues....if the reason for not wearing one is becasue your not being paid to....um speechless on that one, god forbid you don't get a helmet sponsor, as for "FACTS" .. its just common sense, same as a knee brace, Don't want tp snap that ACL but who cares about the cord??? Limiting the amount your neck can flex on all 4 axis's limits the amount your spine can bend-snap. That = good kids!

I think this will be a non issue in 10 yrs as the kids comeup, they have been using them since day one...
10/18/2010 9:04am Edited Date/Time 10/18/2010 9:08am
When I started racing again in 08 everyone out at the track had one on. It actually scared the piss out of me that I couldn't...

adamdf
10/18/2010 9:23am

EXACTLY! I have to be honest, i wear mine for the same reasons you mentioned, more out of fear, and i figure it does more good than bad overall...
adamdf
10/18/2010 9:25am
MCfan4life wrote:
Ramrod wrote:
Reed - what the heck?[img]https://www.motoonline.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/reed-newcastle-pr-2.jpg[/img]
Reed - what the heck?
That setup looks amazing, gotta say

Post a reply to: Pro riders not wearing neck protection

The Latest