Pro riders getting there acl repaired Vs not ?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/13/2018 1:07 AM

Seem s like Acl s in motocross is one of the most common injury s. Plus it is a season ender most of the time too. Just wondering why most pro s get them repaired .MC rode most of his career without one . I have had 4 torn acl s .twice repaired . I don't have one in both knees now . With the proper muscle building you can get the knee really stable . There seems to be more and more science against getting them repaired..I know that I hav dabed my foot and twisted my knee a few times were I am certain it would have been another torn acl. But Instead now my knee swells up for a wk and is fine again .I know this is going to be hard on my knee s on the long run . But the science is showing that it's looking like it s only as hard as getting another repaired acl .Take Wilson. That's like the 3rd time his acl is gone In 3 years . Imo he would be better off skipping surgery. And building muscle to stablize the knee without an acl .so he can't tear it again . I can understand getting acl s fixed if you are paying soccer etc. But you can train for mx by cycling .there s no side to side moments .it only when you dab your foot or fall the acl is put under alot of strain . Plus you could be back in a couple of weeks without V s 6 month getting it fixed .

|

5/13/2018 1:57 AM

AC just rode over a year with no ACL but said it when he was on the bike is when it is hard when his he isn't maybe Deano doesn't want to go with that struggle, Also AC has a ride at the end of outdoors where Deano doesn't maybe if he gets a nice break and is able to come flying into SX it may benefit him and the team may decide to keep him on.

|

5/13/2018 2:07 AM

DoubleA wrote:

AC just rode over a year with no ACL but said it when he was on the bike is when it is hard when his he isn't maybe Deano doesn't want to go with that struggle, Also AC has a ride at the end of outdoors where Deano doesn't maybe if he gets a nice break and is able to come flying into SX it may benefit him and the team may decide to keep him on.

What?

|

5/13/2018 9:16 AM

Very interestig question.

There have been pro football (American football) players who were without ACLs. One that comes to mind was Hines Ward. Played a looong time for the Pittsburg Steelers, was highly regarded for his durability. Amazed me that he was without one of his ACLs, and he was a receiver which meant starting/stopping/cutting quickly.

|

5/13/2018 9:31 AM

The bone moving around on places it isn’t designed to move causes a lot of pain!
These guys are putting some serious pressure on their joints that we can’t really imagine. From practice to racing.

|

5/13/2018 9:38 AM

It probably depends on the stability of the knee in question. If the knee is somewhat stable without it, it could be okay, especially if you have butter-smooth technique like McGrath and you aren't riding outdoors.

If it's unstable and hurts when you dab it, like AC said, then you have to get it fixed or you'll continue to damage the knee and suffer training downtime.

|

5/13/2018 9:55 AM

My experience was that it took a good 2 years living without one before I was fully confident to send it. I don’t think guys in this pro sport have that kind of time.

|

5/13/2018 10:07 AM

ACL surgery isn't nearly as evasive as it used to be. Surgery, pain, recovery on the last one I had wasn't that bad at all.
I've had it multiple times on both knees but only once on my right knee. Neither will be 100% but my right knee gives me no pain and is stable. But I know I can blow it out easier than I could have before the surgery. Unfortunately experience lets you know your limits and my limit is way less than before surgery. So I would say my good knee is about 80% of what it was prior to injury. I got it fixed right after it was injured and I had zero stability in it. I think I used crutches to go to the OR.
My left is trashed and will be a replacement some day. I went over 10 years ACL deficient with it and have popped it out seemingly 199 of times. 4 or 5 surgeries, and it is stable but limited after the last surgery and the ACL didn't take or doesn't show up on an MRI. I could blow it out real easy if I didn't pay mind to it. So my running, jumping, riding is limited to prevent blowing it out. I've always been a very aggressive pro level rider and if I truly put out and rode to my ability, my knee wouldn't take it. Not at all. Most of the time prior to surgery I popped my knee out in rhythm sections, and leaving jump faces. Not planting my leg in turns like you would think. Trying to pop you knee back in with a knee brace on while in the air from something you sprung off of or seat bounced really really sucks. Trying to get a knee brace off to put your knee back in sucks as well. That is the risk these guys run by being ACL deficient.

That being said, I got both of mine done when I was through trying to be competitive and Obama Care rid me of insurance. So I went with the fix it when I'm done plan. I can't imagine any of the pros not having knee problems. I can't imagine any of them being 100% after knee surgery. I imagine they get them fixed because they are tired of them popping out or can't ride without issues. ACL replacement is their best option at riding to their ability if they continue to have problems by being ACL deficient.

Also, being ACL deficient effects you not only in your ability to do things without paying mind to it but it will also effect you in other ways when you start favoring and injured leg. Like back pains, hip pains, sciatica, ankle and calf cramps, even your big toe. Adam C is young but after going a year or better without an ACL, I would say it is not just his ACL that is bothering him but maybe something else from compensating his favored leg. That is just my opinion.

|

5/13/2018 10:08 AM

Does anyone know if its the same knee that he has done twice? I have heard from people with ties to the medical profession that after 2 repairs of the same knee, it starts getting much more difficult to repair due to the way they graft the bones, and that if they do fix it a 3rd time, it doesn't have a very good long term prognosis. Obviously Deano and his team of doctors will do whatever is right for him.

Our sport needs people like Dean. If there is any team that would give him another shot, it is the Husky team. I can really see Bobby Hewitt giving Deano another shot. Even if its on a low salary/heavy incentive type of deal.

|

Official member of the ElHombre fan club

Team MooseCAN

Deano2021

5/13/2018 10:08 AM

brimx153 wrote:

Seem s like Acl s in motocross is one of the most common injury s. Plus it is a season ender most of the time too. Just wondering why most pro s get them repaired .MC rode most of his career without one . I have had 4 torn acl s .twice repaired . I don't have one in both knees now . With the proper muscle building you can get the knee really stable . There seems to be more and more science against getting them repaired..I know that I hav dabed my foot and twisted my knee a few times were I am certain it would have been another torn acl. But Instead now my knee swells up for a wk and is fine again .I know this is going to be hard on my knee s on the long run . But the science is showing that it's looking like it s only as hard as getting another repaired acl .Take Wilson. That's like the 3rd time his acl is gone In 3 years . Imo he would be better off skipping surgery. And building muscle to stablize the knee without an acl .so he can't tear it again . I can understand getting acl s fixed if you are paying soccer etc. But you can train for mx by cycling .there s no side to side moments .it only when you dab your foot or fall the acl is put under alot of strain . Plus you could be back in a couple of weeks without V s 6 month getting it fixed .

Everyone is different when it comes to injuries, no two people are the same. We all heal differently and we all have different bone/muscle density.

Knee pain is the absolute worst when it comes to sports. I can ride with my lower disk degeneration in my back over the acl I had injured.

|

5/13/2018 10:12 AM

DoubleA wrote:

Excracingteam.com wrote:

What?

He said when AC talked about his acl being without and is but maybe Deano aren't.

|

5/13/2018 10:29 AM

CG118 wrote:

Very interestig question.

There have been pro football (American football) players who were without ACLs. One that comes to mind was Hines Ward. Played a looong time for the Pittsburg Steelers, was highly regarded for his durability. Amazed me that he was without one of his ACLs, and he was a receiver which meant starting/stopping/cutting quickly.

Yea and I 've seen it in other sports too . Where just like football the acl is under more stress and you can t wear knee braces or train by cycling or swimming .you are running on it 5 days a week .I just find it intressting more guys have tried not fixing it .

|

5/13/2018 10:41 AM

Crisp BRAAAP! wrote:

It probably depends on the stability of the knee in question. If the knee is somewhat stable without it, it could be okay, especially if you have butter-smooth technique like McGrath and you aren't riding outdoors.

If it's unstable and hurts when you dab it, like AC said, then you have to get it fixed or you'll continue to damage the knee and suffer training downtime.

True . I can understand ac getting his repaired he is young and it s his first time . It's more guy s like Dean. Where it's his 3 rd or 4th . I don't mean continue on riding . I mean instead of getting it fixed go into rehab and get it to were it's stable enough . Take 7 to 8 months just doing it .then next year if he dabs a foot or twists a knee .He won't be out for 6 month s again . Maybe it is nt a choice for him . But I just find it strange that more riders have nt try this route. MC was one of the all time greats without one . There are plenty of top sport star s playing without them .

|

5/13/2018 10:42 AM

The long term———anyone seen Mickey Mantle, or Joe Namath, etc walk after years without an ACL? Those were some facked up knees.

|

5/13/2018 10:54 AM

FlickitFlat wrote:

ACL surgery isn't nearly as evasive as it used to be. Surgery, pain, recovery on the last one I had wasn't that bad at all.
I've had it multiple times on both knees but only once on my right knee. Neither will be 100% but my right knee gives me no pain and is stable. But I know I can blow it out easier than I could have before the surgery. Unfortunately experience lets you know your limits and my limit is way less than before surgery. So I would say my good knee is about 80% of what it was prior to injury. I got it fixed right after it was injured and I had zero stability in it. I think I used crutches to go to the OR.
My left is trashed and will be a replacement some day. I went over 10 years ACL deficient with it and have popped it out seemingly 199 of times. 4 or 5 surgeries, and it is stable but limited after the last surgery and the ACL didn't take or doesn't show up on an MRI. I could blow it out real easy if I didn't pay mind to it. So my running, jumping, riding is limited to prevent blowing it out. I've always been a very aggressive pro level rider and if I truly put out and rode to my ability, my knee wouldn't take it. Not at all. Most of the time prior to surgery I popped my knee out in rhythm sections, and leaving jump faces. Not planting my leg in turns like you would think. Trying to pop you knee back in with a knee brace on while in the air from something you sprung off of or seat bounced really really sucks. Trying to get a knee brace off to put your knee back in sucks as well. That is the risk these guys run by being ACL deficient.

That being said, I got both of mine done when I was through trying to be competitive and Obama Care rid me of insurance. So I went with the fix it when I'm done plan. I can't imagine any of the pros not having knee problems. I can't imagine any of them being 100% after knee surgery. I imagine they get them fixed because they are tired of them popping out or can't ride without issues. ACL replacement is their best option at riding to their ability if they continue to have problems by being ACL deficient.

Also, being ACL deficient effects you not only in your ability to do things without paying mind to it but it will also effect you in other ways when you start favoring and injured leg. Like back pains, hip pains, sciatica, ankle and calf cramps, even your big toe. Adam C is young but after going a year or better without an ACL, I would say it is not just his ACL that is bothering him but maybe something else from compensating his favored leg. That is just my opinion.

That's a good answer . I do think it prob come s down to different body types as 2 wheels said . My knee are fucked but they are as a stable as when I had an acl . But then i have alot of muscle. If I was a trainer I d have all these rider s trying to get way bigger quad s in the off season. Something like a sprint cyclist .

|

5/13/2018 10:58 AM

CG118 wrote:

The long term———anyone seen Mickey Mantle, or Joe Namath, etc walk after years without an ACL? Those were some facked up knees.

The science now has proven if you are getting more than 2 acl s on the same knee it can be worse long term . I think all us mx ers will be fucked later on in life knee wise . Hopefully this stem cell cartilage works !!

|

5/13/2018 11:00 AM

There’s plenty of guys that are riding without an acl some for more than 10yrs.

|

5/13/2018 6:53 PM

FlickitFlat wrote:

in total agreeance.

It does come down to the individual but i have had both knees done and it gets to a point where you just need to bite the bullet and get it done. Stability was my biggest issue....

|

5/13/2018 6:58 PM

DoubleA wrote:

Excracingteam.com wrote:

What?

aeffertz wrote:

He said when AC talked about his acl being without and is but maybe Deano aren't.

laughing
|

5/13/2018 9:40 PM

Going without ACLs / PCLs can be done. But I don't advise it. I blew mine (both) out in the mid / late 70s and didn't start having reco's until the mid/ late 80s.

I kept riding / racing on both types of 2 wheels - ICE and leg powered. I had thighs and calves like tree trunks, from BMX and other Bicycle racing. Though, I literally haven't been able to run since I was 16. And, I kept repeatedly twisting the hell out of my knees no matter how strong my leg muscles were. Tried all sorts of knee braces / taping, until I got my first CTIs in '88. They helped a fair bit, but, short of putting bolts through your tibia and femur, you'll still twist knees. At least they give you a chance at not having your leg blown out to (and past) right angles to where they should be.......

I've had 8 recos (and many, many other procedures) now, using xenografts, cadaver replacement, patella tendons, and 3 different synthetic replacements. I've so much hardware left in my knees, shin and femur- that now joint replacement is very difficult.

And then, there are all the other injuries created by having damaged knees. And they can be horrendous.

I've needed joint replacement (knees and hips) for a few decades now, but prefer to keep my body parts for as long as possible. It's getting close to having to have them cut out - no option. I'm on walking sticks, crutches, and at times, walking (zimmer) frames. With completely unstable knees, that bend , at times, less than 90 degrees, and being unable to stand whilst riding effectively, I've a weird riding style, with a very modified bike to suit me.

Still ride though, as much as possible. I'm lucky to live at the edge of suburbia, with the mountains behind me.

Continued twisting / dislocation really destroys the knee joint itself .

That's the danger of not getting an ACL / PCL repaired - the damage to the joints from continued injury.

You've got to find a Good Ortho - there are some truly crap ones out there that will leave you worse off. I've had fantastic ones, and some Butchers - and the Butchers have made things far, far worse for me, and, I assume, many other patients

|

5/14/2018 5:54 AM

I tore my ACL & minicus about 7 years ago, tried riding without the surgery.... No way... Kept popping out, clicking, very unstable. Had the surgery,back to riding in 6 months. I"m glad I had the surgery....I could not handle my knee being that unstable.

|

5/14/2018 7:54 AM

DoubleA wrote:

This is exactly what I was thinking when I was drunk.

|

5/14/2018 8:02 AM

My unfixed knee is better than my "fixed" one. That surgery is overrated. Bicycles are underrated. Just my personal experience.

|

5/14/2018 2:39 PM

Thomas Covington is apparently riding the GPs without an ACL. Third in Moto 1 this weekend in Latvia.

|

5/15/2018 1:09 AM

Different people have different anatomy. But have no doubt, if you take part of a structure away, the loads will go elsewhere. If you are one of the rare people who can get by without it...good for you. But most people will not realize they should have gotten surgery till it is too late, and they have done meniscus damage. ACLs can be repaired reliably. Meniscus damage can not always be repaired. When I tore my ACL...there was no way I was going to chance finding out if I was or was not one of the people who could get by without an ACL, because if I was wrong, I could do permanent damage. But if you are a gambler...hey...it is your body.

|

5/15/2018 4:09 AM

RC raced without one for a year and Johnny O raced the majority of his career without one.

|