Private Mechanic Salary?

sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
I have been kicking this idea around a lot. My son rides a lot and we have a large number of bikes. I am no mechanic, my career is in finance. I find my self spending more and more hours every week servicing his bikes to the best of my ability. Just had his 15 YZ250F rebuilt from the ground up and I hadn't serviced the bearings and such as I should have, which lead to more repairs of course.

To the point, what would a competent MX mechanic salary typically be?

My son is not at the point of needing that, but time wise I do. I have my own shop and have tons of mx friends and thought about doing one bike at the time for others to help off set the cost.

I would like to go to the races and enjoy it instead of working so hard between classes. I want him to work on riding and school so I do all the bike up keep. I average an 1 or better a day keeping up his 3 main bikes he rides. That doesn't include race prep, race day, or clean up.... Its almost a full time job lol!
|
kkawboy14
9/11/2016 6:39am
what would it cost to live? which is why some mechanics are given a bedroom so they don't have to pay rent and food so they don't have to buy that and then some cash. each situation is different.
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
997th
9/11/2016 6:53am
$300-$400 a week if you supply place to live and food. $500+ a week if they have to rent a room somewhere else.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
9/11/2016 7:07am
Room and board is not the option I wanted to go. It could happen but it would have to be a really perfect fit...

We live in a pretty cool area for a young man or family. We live in Greenville NC home of ECU. A young single man's dream lol! Cost of living is pretty low around here! Plenty of rentals all of the time with all the college and medical community. We have a huge medical district, huge hospital that is one of the biggest in the south east!

We have lots of tracks within an hour or so in each direction.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
9/11/2016 7:53am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
I have been kicking this idea around a lot. My son rides a lot and we have a large number of bikes. I am no mechanic...
I have been kicking this idea around a lot. My son rides a lot and we have a large number of bikes. I am no mechanic, my career is in finance. I find my self spending more and more hours every week servicing his bikes to the best of my ability. Just had his 15 YZ250F rebuilt from the ground up and I hadn't serviced the bearings and such as I should have, which lead to more repairs of course.

To the point, what would a competent MX mechanic salary typically be?

My son is not at the point of needing that, but time wise I do. I have my own shop and have tons of mx friends and thought about doing one bike at the time for others to help off set the cost.

I would like to go to the races and enjoy it instead of working so hard between classes. I want him to work on riding and school so I do all the bike up keep. I average an 1 or better a day keeping up his 3 main bikes he rides. That doesn't include race prep, race day, or clean up.... Its almost a full time job lol!
At the end of your post you say that doesnt include race day prep, race day maintenance or clean up. Are you saying that you will do those things and a mechanic wont?

The Shop

9/11/2016 9:07am
No he tried to explain how long it took him to do a normal upkeep on his own combined with his normal work in finance.
And that if you count in the other things like race prep, race day, or clean up.... it's a full time job for him. Thats why he's looking into the cost of a mechanic so he can do his thing at work and go back to just being his dad on race days and could relax a little more and spent more time with his family during the week.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
9/11/2016 9:12am
Moens_Andy wrote:
No he tried to explain how long it took him to do a normal upkeep on his own combined with his normal work in finance. And...
No he tried to explain how long it took him to do a normal upkeep on his own combined with his normal work in finance.
And that if you count in the other things like race prep, race day, or clean up.... it's a full time job for him. Thats why he's looking into the cost of a mechanic so he can do his thing at work and go back to just being his dad on race days and could relax a little more and spent more time with his family during the week.
Ah, OK. Makes sense now.
Starcrossed
9/11/2016 9:46am
There aren't good mechanics up here for $500 a week, especially if weekends are required. $1,000 a week, plus benefits, would get a decent mechanic with the experience to handle the race day duties. $800 for a younger guy with limited experience, and a desire to work in the motocross field. Less than that and you would be selecting from the guys that don't have much utility in any particular mechanical discipline.
walent215
9/11/2016 9:47am
I definitely see your dilemma....I like to watch my son race but as I also wrench, prep, tune and adjust on practice / race days it does get tiring.....then to go home and clean ,prep, rebuild , install tires etc! You have 3 + bikes so I can't even imagine. If you are asking for someone to wrench on that many bikes I would say somewhere in the neighborhood of $400 week. I enjoy wrenching on bikes so I would do it for less than probably the next guy but anything less than that is asking alot imo....
LungButter
9/11/2016 11:20am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2016 11:20am
Wouldn't it be cheaper to just make him work on his own bikes?
Tmick
9/11/2016 3:00pm Edited Date/Time 9/11/2016 3:02pm
There aren't good mechanics up here for $500 a week, especially if weekends are required. $1,000 a week, plus benefits, would get a decent mechanic with...
There aren't good mechanics up here for $500 a week, especially if weekends are required. $1,000 a week, plus benefits, would get a decent mechanic with the experience to handle the race day duties. $800 for a younger guy with limited experience, and a desire to work in the motocross field. Less than that and you would be selecting from the guys that don't have much utility in any particular mechanical discipline.
Dang guess I'm not a good mechanic then. I work for a top 10 sx lites rider I make 600 a week as practice mechanic. But as a race mechanic good 750-900 a week or 30k to 45k is what most teams pay unless your with a good 450 rider. Most teams don't provide benfits, since your sub contracted. Most mechanics aren't to involved in running a program. A lot won't go outta there way to do something. I'm involved with my program 100% from the way he rides if his lap times drop, his attitude everything. Being positive every day your around your rider can help so much, my bike is framed every week. So that everything is clean and the rider is happy with his controls and the way the bike feels every time he rides it.
Starcrossed
9/11/2016 3:28pm Edited Date/Time 9/11/2016 3:35pm
Tmick wrote:
Dang guess I'm not a good mechanic then. I work for a top 10 sx lites rider I make 600 a week as practice mechanic. But...
Dang guess I'm not a good mechanic then. I work for a top 10 sx lites rider I make 600 a week as practice mechanic. But as a race mechanic good 750-900 a week or 30k to 45k is what most teams pay unless your with a good 450 rider. Most teams don't provide benfits, since your sub contracted. Most mechanics aren't to involved in running a program. A lot won't go outta there way to do something. I'm involved with my program 100% from the way he rides if his lap times drop, his attitude everything. Being positive every day your around your rider can help so much, my bike is framed every week. So that everything is clean and the rider is happy with his controls and the way the bike feels every time he rides it.
Please don't take my post to be an indictment on your skills. The cost of living is probably a little higher in New England, but your figure of $600 without attendance at the races seems to be in the same range as what I posted, assuming you would require an extra two or three hundred for weekend race duty. Four or five hundred per week isn't much more than minimum wage.
The number of opportunities for marine mechanics, who bill out at around $100/hr, in my particular area, probably affect the going rate to some degree also.
MX_Andrew83
9/11/2016 5:43pm
sgrimmxdad wrote:
Room and board is not the option I wanted to go. It could happen but it would have to be a really perfect fit... We live...
Room and board is not the option I wanted to go. It could happen but it would have to be a really perfect fit...

We live in a pretty cool area for a young man or family. We live in Greenville NC home of ECU. A young single man's dream lol! Cost of living is pretty low around here! Plenty of rentals all of the time with all the college and medical community. We have a huge medical district, huge hospital that is one of the biggest in the south east!

As a former resident of Greenville NC and alumni of ECU I can attest to it being the single mans dream. That place is loaded with women.

You should be able to get someone for a descent rate, Eastern NC isn't really known for high paying jobs...
MX_Andrew83
9/11/2016 5:44pm
Tmick wrote:
Dang guess I'm not a good mechanic then. I work for a top 10 sx lites rider I make 600 a week as practice mechanic. But...
Please don't take my post to be an indictment on your skills. The cost of living is probably a little higher in New England, but your...
Please don't take my post to be an indictment on your skills. The cost of living is probably a little higher in New England, but your figure of $600 without attendance at the races seems to be in the same range as what I posted, assuming you would require an extra two or three hundred for weekend race duty. Four or five hundred per week isn't much more than minimum wage.
The number of opportunities for marine mechanics, who bill out at around $100/hr, in my particular area, probably affect the going rate to some degree also.
New Bedford MA, are you a Portuguese fisherman?
Starcrossed
9/11/2016 5:54pm
Pretty muchGrinning , although there are quite a number of Scandinavians fishing here too.
Got an education also, paid for with scalloping money.
9/11/2016 5:58pm
Tmick wrote:
Please don't take my post to be an indictment on your skills. The cost of living is probably a little higher in New England, but your...
What ?!!! Don't you know that's the Irish Riviera?
MX_Andrew83
9/11/2016 6:12pm
Pretty muchGrinning , although there are quite a number of Scandinavians fishing here too.
Got an education also, paid for with scalloping money.
lol, my family settled in Fox Point RI from St. Michael
Starcrossed
9/11/2016 6:26pm
lol, my family settled in Fox Point RI from St. Michael
Nice. Most of my family came over from a couple of the smaller islands (Fayal, Pico) over 100 years ago, but still maintain close ties to their Azorean heritage. If you have never been to the Madeira feast in New Bedford, you may want to check it out some time. First week in August every year. The professional mechanics that I know from this area make $20-35/hr with full benefits.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
9/12/2016 5:21am
Thanks for all the replies guys.

The power of Vital. Word gets around quick. Someone hit my son up on instagram yesterday about this.

sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
9/12/2016 5:36am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
Room and board is not the option I wanted to go. It could happen but it would have to be a really perfect fit... We live...

As a former resident of Greenville NC and alumni of ECU I can attest to it being the single mans dream. That place is loaded with...
As a former resident of Greenville NC and alumni of ECU I can attest to it being the single mans dream. That place is loaded with women.

You should be able to get someone for a descent rate, Eastern NC isn't really known for high paying jobs...
I'm an alumni too! If you ever get back this way come check out our track!
Tracktor
9/12/2016 9:53am Edited Date/Time 9/12/2016 9:54am
I am seeing this more and more around the NW. Pay seems to range between $2k-4K a month depending on if its full time or part time. It's odd seeing mini & C riders with their own mechanic/trainer etc but if you can afford it go for it!..............
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
9/12/2016 10:26am
Yeah you gotta think if dad can work 40-50 hours a week and make $150k+ per year it's better money spent having someone help out than him taking time out of his work schedule.

Post a reply to: Private Mechanic Salary?

The Latest