Prices to ride at local tracks.

zookrider62!
Fantasy
975th
6/4/2018 11:54am
kage173 wrote:
Sorry, but you are just ignorant of the facts and the economics of this sport. As I said, the vast majority of track owners are doing...
Sorry, but you are just ignorant of the facts and the economics of this sport. As I said, the vast majority of track owners are doing it for the love of the sport, not because they are making money.

There are maybe a handful of regional tracks that make enough profit for it to be a legitimate business. Most tracks are run by old guys who got too old to compete, moto-parents trying to make Johnny's dream come true, or former pros that want to stay connected to the sport.

You get outside of California and it's a whole different world.
Nah, sorry man, the only ignorant one in this conversation is the one who believes most mx track owners run businesses out of the goodness of...
Nah, sorry man, the only ignorant one in this conversation is the one who believes most mx track owners run businesses out of the goodness of their hearts instead of the benefit of their wallets lol
kb228 wrote:
For real.. how do you not make money? You get 60 riders in 1 day you made $1200 @ $20/rider. Pay 4 flaggers $50 for the...
For real.. how do you not make money? You get 60 riders in 1 day you made $1200 @ $20/rider. Pay 4 flaggers $50 for the 5 hours youre open and youre left with $1000. gas for a water truck and a tractor isnt going to eat that $1000 in 1 day. Youre literally driving a mile and a half around the track. Thats probably not even $20 worth of diesel. Property taxes prob arent more than $5000 per year. Open 3 days a week and youre golden.

I think both sides are on the extreme on this. Not many own a track to become rich, and I doubt there are too many doing it out of the kindness of their heart.

As others have stated, owners are typically connected to the sport in some way, so the track is to offset some of the expenses they would have if the track was only for the owner or their family.

Around 10-15 years ago or so, I was told there was only ONE track in Texas (DFW area at least) where the owner did not have a second job. That was back when practice days had such high turnout that practices were split by bike size, skill, and sometimes even brand. Nowadays its all open practice because turn out is so small, id think that owners would need 2 other jobs to stay afloat.
rbspecial138
Fantasy
693rd
6/4/2018 1:27pm
kb228 wrote:
For real.. how do you not make money? You get 60 riders in 1 day you made $1200 @ $20/rider. Pay 4 flaggers $50 for the...
For real.. how do you not make money? You get 60 riders in 1 day you made $1200 @ $20/rider. Pay 4 flaggers $50 for the 5 hours youre open and youre left with $1000. gas for a water truck and a tractor isnt going to eat that $1000 in 1 day. Youre literally driving a mile and a half around the track. Thats probably not even $20 worth of diesel. Property taxes prob arent more than $5000 per year. Open 3 days a week and youre golden.

You are so far off of what it costs to run a track...paying operators cost big $$$... $20 in diesel?? that's 5 gallons, how far do you think a tractor will make it on 5 gallons let alone a dozer... We would use at least 35 gallons a day and that was for a light prep, it takes far more time and effort than you would think to prep a track than you would think. unless you've worked at a (legitimately prepped) track before, don't act like you know what it takes, its almost insulting...
kage173
6/4/2018 2:25pm
kb228 wrote:

60 riders per day 3 days per week? I'd love to talk to more than 2 track owners outside of the 3-4 major moto regions in the US that can pull that kind of crowd. And dude you're from Ohio. How long is your riding season? You think the mortgage holder on that land, says "hey track owner, I know there's 4 feet of snow covering your track and nobody's showing up for the next 3 months, so just chill on those payments. Get back to me next summer."

Not even going to address your other comments on cost. Somebody else already handled it.

kage173
6/4/2018 2:31pm
Nah, sorry man, the only ignorant one in this conversation is the one who believes most mx track owners run businesses out of the goodness of...
Nah, sorry man, the only ignorant one in this conversation is the one who believes most mx track owners run businesses out of the goodness of their hearts instead of the benefit of their wallets lol
I shouldn't have used 'ignorant'. Sounds too harsh. Please just trust me that outside of California and a few other spots in the US, people are not making near enough money to validate the time and effort it takes to run a track.

The Shop

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
6/4/2018 2:34pm
prepped tracks get a little over board. If you dont have aenough people show up the track only gets one rut and the rest of the...
prepped tracks get a little over board. If you dont have aenough people show up the track only gets one rut and the rest of the track is just chunks of dirt
I can think of a few that are like that no matter what. It's pretty bad, but it leaves fresh dirt for me lol
kb228
6/4/2018 2:37pm
kb228 wrote:

You are so far off of what it costs to run a track...paying operators cost big $$$... $20 in diesel?? that's 5 gallons, how far do...
You are so far off of what it costs to run a track...paying operators cost big $$$... $20 in diesel?? that's 5 gallons, how far do you think a tractor will make it on 5 gallons let alone a dozer... We would use at least 35 gallons a day and that was for a light prep, it takes far more time and effort than you would think to prep a track than you would think. unless you've worked at a (legitimately prepped) track before, don't act like you know what it takes, its almost insulting...
Ok take another $400 off that leftover $1000. Still left with decent money for 1 day.

Briarcliff and route 62 pull a ton of riders when they open. maybe not 3 days a week, but still a lot. They dont pay operators. They do it themselves.

If they didnt make money they wouldnt do it. Dont forget the money they make on race days. Thats way more than an open practice
DJBobbyD
6/4/2018 4:31pm
ob wrote:
I totally feel for you dude. I'm actually sick of going to Pala and paying $30 since their watering system has "been down" for over a...
I totally feel for you dude. I'm actually sick of going to Pala and paying $30 since their watering system has "been down" for over a month. Not that their watering is good anyway. 200 people riding around in a dust bowl.
I agree. I went to Pala this weekend and the Vet track was groomed but the Amature and main were bombed out dust bowls! Not that I’m any good but having at least 2 pretty safe tracks to ride would have been better than one. I grew up in San Diego riding palm ave. and I remember most of the tracks that were there and I rode on for years had better prep than Pala? A groomed track is a little safer I think no?
imoto34
Fantasy
3151st
6/4/2018 4:43pm
kb228 wrote:

You have not the slightest idea what you are talking about.

Mind giving me some life lessons? Maybe a 3 day a week life coach?

Post a reply to: Prices to ride at local tracks.

The Latest