Price of used YZ250's

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
3/6/2019 2:39pm
I went and checked out the bike earlier today. My friend said he rode it 3-4 times and purchased it from the original owner in 2004...
I went and checked out the bike earlier today. My friend said he rode it 3-4 times and purchased it from the original owner in 2004. I've owned a lot of motorcycles and this looks like a low mileage bike to me. My friend said the original owner rode it in sand dunes and we know what that can do. It had a flag mounted to the rear fender and a paddle tire on it before he purchased it. My friend thinks the top end needs to be freshened up but other than that it looks solid. The bike has the original bars and tires on it. The pipe has one dent the size of a dime and a few scratches. The only non stock piece beside the graphics and seat is an FMF silencer and SA. The graphics and seat look like crap. The rear disc/caliper guards barely have a scratch on them and the rear sprocket shows minimal wear.

Did they come stock with Excel rims?

So this bike hasn't been started in at least 12 years. I'll need to pull apart the carb and clean the tank before trying to start it. If anyone has any tips on starting a bike sitting this long I'm all ears.

I'm not sure if 99 came with Excel's. I know 2000 did for sure. So maybe 99 did? 98 for sure didn't.
Spudnut
3/6/2019 2:47pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2019 2:50pm
My friends 99 yz125 had the stock wheels on his that were excel

As far as it sitting for years you should clean out the tank as good as you can with fresh gas when you do the carb. I would even consider a new fuel line with a filter in it to keep an eye out for funny chunks of who knows what for the first few rides atleast
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
3/6/2019 2:50pm
I went and checked out the bike earlier today. My friend said he rode it 3-4 times and purchased it from the original owner in 2004...
I went and checked out the bike earlier today. My friend said he rode it 3-4 times and purchased it from the original owner in 2004. I've owned a lot of motorcycles and this looks like a low mileage bike to me. My friend said the original owner rode it in sand dunes and we know what that can do. It had a flag mounted to the rear fender and a paddle tire on it before he purchased it. My friend thinks the top end needs to be freshened up but other than that it looks solid. The bike has the original bars and tires on it. The pipe has one dent the size of a dime and a few scratches. The only non stock piece beside the graphics and seat is an FMF silencer and SA. The graphics and seat look like crap. The rear disc/caliper guards barely have a scratch on them and the rear sprocket shows minimal wear.

Did they come stock with Excel rims?

So this bike hasn't been started in at least 12 years. I'll need to pull apart the carb and clean the tank before trying to start it. If anyone has any tips on starting a bike sitting this long I'm all ears.

BTW, clean the carb, fresh plug, fresh gas and 40:1 yamalube 2r and she should fire right up if nothing else is wrong.
Make sure you check the filter on the petcock before putting new gas in it.
VoodooHusky
3/6/2019 2:56pm
Should I put a few drops of oil in the cylinder and kick it over a few times first? Good idea replacing the fuel line and filter. I'll check the air filter as well. At 20 years old it's probably time for a new air filter.

Just curious how long tires last in regards to grip? I'm sure I'll replace both F & R anyway but I want to know what to expect if I take it out for an easy ride with the stock tires.

The Shop

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
3/6/2019 2:59pm
Should I put a few drops of oil in the cylinder and kick it over a few times first? Good idea replacing the fuel line and...
Should I put a few drops of oil in the cylinder and kick it over a few times first? Good idea replacing the fuel line and filter. I'll check the air filter as well. At 20 years old it's probably time for a new air filter.

Just curious how long tires last in regards to grip? I'm sure I'll replace both F & R anyway but I want to know what to expect if I take it out for an easy ride with the stock tires.
I wouldn't do more than ride up and down the street a few times on the tires. Wouldn't trust them on a normal ride.
And ya, new filter would be a great idea!

Post a reply to: Price of used YZ250's

The Latest