Price of used YZ250's

10/24/2018 5:39am Edited Date/Time 10/24/2018 5:41am
Paid 2800 for this barely used 2008 beauty in 2011....

Deals can be had. But for an 05 I wouldn’t pay more than 2.
cody41
10/24/2018 5:58am
T-Fish wrote:
I can’t believe people pay as much as they do for a new YZ250. Thirteen year old bike with a new VIN, for the most part.

Except for the fact that you’re getting a brand new bike which it worth the extra cost. They are also considerably cheaper than a ktm to purchase and maintain. I paid $6,300 OTD for a leftover 17. I see a lot of new yz two strokes at the local tracks.
speed_racer
Fantasy
1939th
10/24/2018 8:01am
I spent 4k rebuilding a 2003 YZ250 with current suspension and trick triple clamps.
The 2003 YZ250 was $1200, I spent 4k more doing the complete bike and that was with a huge discount on all the parts. I am selling it and asking $3800. Even though I spent $5200 total for the build I can only sell it for 3k. The market is heavy with YZ250's and people don't seem to want the better suspension. Not one call with it priced at $3800.

T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
10/24/2018 8:42am
T-Fish wrote:
I can’t believe people pay as much as they do for a new YZ250. Thirteen year old bike with a new VIN, for the most part.

cody41 wrote:
Except for the fact that you’re getting a brand new bike which it worth the extra cost. They are also considerably cheaper than a ktm to...
Except for the fact that you’re getting a brand new bike which it worth the extra cost. They are also considerably cheaper than a ktm to purchase and maintain. I paid $6,300 OTD for a leftover 17. I see a lot of new yz two strokes at the local tracks.
I’d rather pay more for a better bike, which KTM and Husky provide. Maintenance is going to cost the same. The non-Jap bikes will last longer and have better resale.

The Shop

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
10/24/2018 8:45am
T-Fish wrote:

Hard to beat a brand new bike, even if it's the same as a 2006. You also have to think about the guys buying new that are racing and making contingency.
Doddy
10/24/2018 9:04am
T-Fish wrote:

cody41 wrote:
Except for the fact that you’re getting a brand new bike which it worth the extra cost. They are also considerably cheaper than a ktm to...
T-Fish wrote:
I’d rather pay more for a better bike, which KTM and Husky provide. Maintenance is going to cost the same. The non-Jap bikes will last longer...
I’d rather pay more for a better bike, which KTM and Husky provide. Maintenance is going to cost the same. The non-Jap bikes will last longer and have better resale.
KTM is going to last longer than a Yamaha? Riiiiiiight.....
Mossy
10/24/2018 9:18am
Trying to decide between a new yz250 or a leftover kx250f for my first new bike. Decisions decisions.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
10/24/2018 9:20am
Mossy wrote:
Trying to decide between a new yz250 or a leftover kx250f for my first new bike. Decisions decisions.
YZ250 dude!
nch209
10/24/2018 11:17am
Mossy wrote:
I am in Winchester VA and might be selling my 2005 yz250. Cant post pics now, but there may be pics on the site. Pro Action motor/suspension, PC pipe/silencer/clamps, and all of your typical bolt ons. I mayyyyyyy be going to the dark side... lol! Still trying to decide how to price it... Let me know if you have any interest.
Bry145
10/24/2018 12:34pm

I put my 2016 up for sale. $4,000. Pittsburgh, PA

Never raced, original vet owner, and title in hand. The bike was purchased new from Lojak's Yamaha. It has been ridden mostly at Switchback, Beans MX, and Club MX. The original piston and rings were replaced with OEM Yamaha parts this spring, and only one ride at Switchback has been put on the new top end. I've been too busy at work to ride the bike, and want it to go to someone who will ride and enjoy the bike. The bike has about 50 hours on it, tops. Linkage and headset bearings were greased before the first ride and again this spring. The bike has never been pressure washed.

A few performance mods were done, including a Boyesen RAD Valve and Power Wing. The stock reed spacer has been removed for more hit and top end, and will be included. A Steahly 9oz. flywheel weight was installed at Pittsburgh Cycle Center. Three stiffer clutch springs were added for durability and grip. A Braking oversized front rotor and pads were installed. Some custom mods are cut down ODI 971-bend bars, as I have narrow shoulders and turn with the rear wheel. I added some grip to the tank and shrouds for grip, as I have small arms and have always struggled with arm pump. The front rim was bent, so a DID STX rim was laced up and trued by Dubya in California. The suspension has been re-valved by Pro Action Suspension for a 175lb. Vet B rider. The fork is a little stiffer than the shock, which is my preference. An X-ring chain replaced the stocker for durability. Stock gearing is installed, but a 49t rear is included. I had a 49 rear on my 2004 but the 2016 pulls the stock gearing. Jetting has never been touched, aside from installing a leaner main per Boyesen for the Rad Valve. The bike runs great on fresh 91 pump gas and Super M at 40:1.

If we reach a deal on the bike, you are welcome to some of the extras in my garage, which include levers, gaskets, plugs, lubes, tubes, and such. This is a great bike at a good price, and is ready for track or trail.
Premix
10/24/2018 1:17pm
I’m at 3k in this 13 I purchased about 3 months ago. Bought an 09 3 years ago for 3500. Good range is 2500-3500 for a used one. 13 maybe had 5 hours on it when I bought it.

mx_563
10/24/2018 2:23pm
Paid $3300 for a clean unmolested 07' about month ago (SF Bay Area).

(smashed pipe was my doing - #mojavedezlife)

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
10/24/2018 2:25pm
mx_563 wrote:
Paid $3300 for a clean unmolested 07' about month ago (SF Bay Area). (smashed pipe was my doing - #mojavedezlife) [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/10/24/298236/s1200_KIMG4484.jpg[/img]
Paid $3300 for a clean unmolested 07' about month ago (SF Bay Area).

(smashed pipe was my doing - #mojavedezlife)

Where were you out riding?
mx_563
10/24/2018 8:37pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
My crew and I ride some legally ambiguous trails near Jawbone. That's all I am allowed to disclose. Cool
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
10/24/2018 9:14pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
mx_563 wrote:
My crew and I ride some legally ambiguous trails near Jawbone. That's all I am allowed to disclose. Cool
I didn’t know you came down this way. Let’s meet up to ride soon!
Mossy
10/25/2018 7:06am
Mossy wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
YZ250 dude!
I know....I want a new 250f, but I’m also on a budget, and plan to put a lot of hours on the bike throughout the week as I will be able to ride after work and on the weekends. With that said, maintenance on the 250f will be a lot more expensive, also I’ve never done any 4 stroke engine work so I’d be lost there as well.

I’m 6”3 and about 185lbs so part of me also feels like once I get good enough on the 250f, I’ll be wanting something with more power lol cus I’m not a smaller guy. The yz250 seems like something that would be perfect for me, I can build a lot of skill on, and maybe in a year if I have some extra cash around I can go get a leftover 4 fitty for $5500 if I really want one.

You really practically have me sold Grinning for the most part because it just seems like a smarter decision. I would have to get a small personal loan; but I have excellent credit and I suppose I wouldn’t be spending but so much. A small $3500ish personal loan is a lot better than a 5 year financed $6,800+ bike. Laughing

Dude in Pittsburgh with the 16 really caught my eye Whistling id much rather buy from someone on here than a random guy on Craigslist or FB. The last bike I bought I got screwed. One apparently the bottom end was completely rebuilt but maybe just needed a top end. Had hot rods stickers on it so I figured fuck it they seemed legit. Lies. Laughing
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
10/25/2018 7:22am
Mossy wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
YZ250 dude!
Mossy wrote:
I know....I want a new 250f, but I’m also on a budget, and plan to put a lot of hours on the bike throughout the week...
I know....I want a new 250f, but I’m also on a budget, and plan to put a lot of hours on the bike throughout the week as I will be able to ride after work and on the weekends. With that said, maintenance on the 250f will be a lot more expensive, also I’ve never done any 4 stroke engine work so I’d be lost there as well.

I’m 6”3 and about 185lbs so part of me also feels like once I get good enough on the 250f, I’ll be wanting something with more power lol cus I’m not a smaller guy. The yz250 seems like something that would be perfect for me, I can build a lot of skill on, and maybe in a year if I have some extra cash around I can go get a leftover 4 fitty for $5500 if I really want one.

You really practically have me sold Grinning for the most part because it just seems like a smarter decision. I would have to get a small personal loan; but I have excellent credit and I suppose I wouldn’t be spending but so much. A small $3500ish personal loan is a lot better than a 5 year financed $6,800+ bike. Laughing

Dude in Pittsburgh with the 16 really caught my eye Whistling id much rather buy from someone on here than a random guy on Craigslist or FB. The last bike I bought I got screwed. One apparently the bottom end was completely rebuilt but maybe just needed a top end. Had hot rods stickers on it so I figured fuck it they seemed legit. Lies. Laughing
It might not be the fastest bike, but I’ll tell you straight up that the yz250 is such a good all around package. I bought mine from sumdood after selling my 450 two days before. With bike and rebuild parts, plastic and graphics I’m a total of $3000 into it. Here she is when I picked it up and now.

Mossy
10/25/2018 7:51am
Bry145 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/10/24/298228/s1200_WIN_20181022_123924.jpg[/img] I put my 2016 up for sale. $4,000. Pittsburgh, PA Never raced, original vet owner, and title in hand. The bike was purchased new from...

Never raced, original vet owner, and title in hand. The bike was purchased new from Lojak's Yamaha. It has been ridden mostly at Switchback, Beans MX, and Club MX. The original piston and rings were replaced with OEM Yamaha parts this spring, and only one ride at Switchback has been put on the new top end. I've been too busy at work to ride the bike, and want it to go to someone who will ride and enjoy the bike. The bike has about 50 hours on it, tops. Linkage and headset bearings were greased before the first ride and again this spring. The bike has never been pressure washed.

A few performance mods were done, including a Boyesen RAD Valve and Power Wing. The stock reed spacer has been removed for more hit and top end, and will be included. A Steahly 9oz. flywheel weight was installed at Pittsburgh Cycle Center. Three stiffer clutch springs were added for durability and grip. A Braking oversized front rotor and pads were installed. Some custom mods are cut down ODI 971-bend bars, as I have narrow shoulders and turn with the rear wheel. I added some grip to the tank and shrouds for grip, as I have small arms and have always struggled with arm pump. The front rim was bent, so a DID STX rim was laced up and trued by Dubya in California. The suspension has been re-valved by Pro Action Suspension for a 175lb. Vet B rider. The fork is a little stiffer than the shock, which is my preference. An X-ring chain replaced the stocker for durability. Stock gearing is installed, but a 49t rear is included. I had a 49 rear on my 2004 but the 2016 pulls the stock gearing. Jetting has never been touched, aside from installing a leaner main per Boyesen for the Rad Valve. The bike runs great on fresh 91 pump gas and Super M at 40:1.

If we reach a deal on the bike, you are welcome to some of the extras in my garage, which include levers, gaskets, plugs, lubes, tubes, and such. This is a great bike at a good price, and is ready for track or trail.
Im very interested, but wouldn’t be able to buy till after thanksgiving.
JWACK
10/25/2018 8:09am
Mine is going to be sold or parted out here in the next month or 2.
Mossy
10/25/2018 8:30am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
YZ250 dude!
Mossy wrote:
I know....I want a new 250f, but I’m also on a budget, and plan to put a lot of hours on the bike throughout the week...

mattyhamz2 wrote:
It might not be the fastest bike, but I’ll tell you straight up that the yz250 is such a good all around package. I bought mine...
It might not be the fastest bike, but I’ll tell you straight up that the yz250 is such a good all around package. I bought mine from sumdood after selling my 450 two days before. With bike and rebuild parts, plastic and graphics I’m a total of $3000 into it. Here she is when I picked it up and now.

Dude that is nice! Love the updated plastics, looks like a 19 without the blue wheels lol. Honestly “super pumped” on a yz250 now Grinning I feel it’s the perfect bike for me Cool
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
10/25/2018 8:36am
Mossy wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:
It might not be the fastest bike, but I’ll tell you straight up that the yz250 is such a good all around package. I bought mine...

Mossy wrote:
Dude that is nice! Love the updated plastics, looks like a 19 without the blue wheels lol. Honestly “super pumped” on a yz250 now :lol: I...
Dude that is nice! Love the updated plastics, looks like a 19 without the blue wheels lol. Honestly “super pumped” on a yz250 now Grinning I feel it’s the perfect bike for me Cool
Thanks man! It helped that the previous owner kept everything clean while he owned it! Haha. I went through the entire motor. Still need to lube the rear suspension and linkage, but I got 06 clamps from ebay for $45 so I could run 1 1/8 bars and swap mounts if I wanted to. I have a few more little things to do, like a PC silencer and eventually newer yzf footpegs, but she's solid the way she is! No motor work, just a plain stock motor that runs really really well!
Talisker
10/25/2018 8:48am
I got very, very, very lucky. Guy was in a hurry to buy an electric mountain bike and did not want to wait. 2004 Yz250, original chain and sprockets, tank decals are still white $2000.

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
10/25/2018 8:50am
Talisker wrote:
I got very, very, very lucky. Guy was in a hurry to buy an electric mountain bike and did not want to wait. 2004 Yz250, original...
I got very, very, very lucky. Guy was in a hurry to buy an electric mountain bike and did not want to wait. 2004 Yz250, original chain and sprockets, tank decals are still white $2000.

Any plans for it?
cody41
10/25/2018 11:23am
Mossy wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
YZ250 dude!
Mossy wrote:

I am similar stature, 6’ and 190lbs, and the YZ250 is perfect in my opinion. I’ve bounced back and forth between 250 2 strokes and 450s and always end up on a 250 smoker. They are thin, light, and are more than fast enough. The 450 is just so much hog... the power is nice, but the weight and inertia is terrible.
Bry145
10/25/2018 2:24pm Edited Date/Time 10/25/2018 2:28pm
Bry145 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/10/24/298228/s1200_WIN_20181022_123924.jpg[/img] I put my 2016 up for sale. $4,000. Pittsburgh, PA Never raced, original vet owner, and title in hand. The bike was purchased new from...

Mossy wrote:
No rush.

The bike is in my garage. I washed it on Monday, drained the tank, and put in a new plug.

The bike has sat since March, as work has been extremely busy. It breaks my heart to sell the bike but life goes on.

BikeGuy321
10/25/2018 3:14pm
Don't be affraid to lowball people if it seems like they're asking too much. That's why some people tack on an extra grand to begin with, cuz they know the first 20 people responding want it for less. If you have the jingle and they NEED the money, 9 times out of 10 they'll take less.
Mossy
10/25/2018 6:08pm
Bry145 wrote:

Mossy wrote:
Bry145 wrote:
No rush. The bike is in my garage. I washed it on Monday, drained the tank, and put in a new plug. The bike has sat...
No rush.

The bike is in my garage. I washed it on Monday, drained the tank, and put in a new plug.

The bike has sat since March, as work has been extremely busy. It breaks my heart to sell the bike but life goes on.

Sounds good. I will definitely be hitting you up in early December. I just looked at yz250s in my area, and they are all either trashed, really old and overpriced, or I look at the listing and then look at the owner who’s in their late teens and I can tell they don’t maintain or take care of the bike. I’m in VA, about 5 hours away from you, but by looking at the bike in the pics and reading what you say, you obviously take excellent care of the bike.

I hope it’s still for sale around that time, if not, no worries, but I definitely look forward to making a day trip up there to buy that beaut Cool and honestly it’d just be cool to buy a bike from and meet a fellow Vitard Tongue
Bry145
10/26/2018 3:59pm
Mossy wrote:
Sounds good. I will definitely be hitting you up in early December. I just looked at yz250s in my area, and they are all either trashed...
Sounds good. I will definitely be hitting you up in early December. I just looked at yz250s in my area, and they are all either trashed, really old and overpriced, or I look at the listing and then look at the owner who’s in their late teens and I can tell they don’t maintain or take care of the bike. I’m in VA, about 5 hours away from you, but by looking at the bike in the pics and reading what you say, you obviously take excellent care of the bike.

I hope it’s still for sale around that time, if not, no worries, but I definitely look forward to making a day trip up there to buy that beaut Cool and honestly it’d just be cool to buy a bike from and meet a fellow Vitard Tongue
Here is my e-mail if you want to stay in touch on the bike: cehelsky@hush.com.

10/26/2018 4:21pm
Bought a used 06 yz125 for $1800 about 4 years ago. It’s the gift that keeps on giving all year long. Put about $2000 in it. And she still sits in my garage as a 144cc wet dream.

Post a reply to: Price of used YZ250's

The Latest