Predictions for number of Mini E bikes for 2020.

Brandon_Lake
Edited Date/Time 11/12/2019 2:48pm
Just saw the supplemental rules for Loretta Lynn Nationals and it looks like there going to let kids 4-6 compete on them. Now I wondering how many parents are going to go out and by one. I have a felling it won’t be many and the gates won’t be full at nationals.
|
chump6784
11/12/2019 12:06am
The only downside I've seen to the ktm/husky e bikes are their battery life and that the batteries aren't designed to be changed regularly.

I just keep thinking of my cordless power tools where I have a couple of spare batteries charged while I'm using them. As soon as the battery goes flat, change it with a fresh one and put the dead one on charge. That would be brilliant on a 50
4DAIVIPAI2K5
11/12/2019 4:22am
chump6784 wrote:
The only downside I've seen to the ktm/husky e bikes are their battery life and that the batteries aren't designed to be changed regularly. I just...
The only downside I've seen to the ktm/husky e bikes are their battery life and that the batteries aren't designed to be changed regularly.

I just keep thinking of my cordless power tools where I have a couple of spare batteries charged while I'm using them. As soon as the battery goes flat, change it with a fresh one and put the dead one on charge. That would be brilliant on a 50
That is how cobra is doing it. They said a battery change will take less time then it takes to fill a ICE 50 gas tank.

4DAIVIPAI2K5
11/12/2019 4:25am
Just saw the supplemental rules for Loretta Lynn Nationals and it looks like there going to let kids 4-6 compete on them. Now I wondering how...
Just saw the supplemental rules for Loretta Lynn Nationals and it looks like there going to let kids 4-6 compete on them. Now I wondering how many parents are going to go out and by one. I have a felling it won’t be many and the gates won’t be full at nationals.
Well none are going to go out and buy them. As the KTM and Cobra offerings are Sr 50 bike's (7-8 years old) but LL made the class for 4-6 which takes the place of the special limited class, making the Cobra p3/KTM mini worthless now for racing.
Mx391
11/12/2019 4:42am
What bike would a 4 year old compete on at LL? Oset MX10? I think those new KTM and Huskys are too big.

The Shop

duckdog77
11/12/2019 4:59am
I thought the KTM E50 had adjustable height settings? You can move the sub frame up and down. Would be same size as a JR at lowest and SR at highest.
4DAIVIPAI2K5
11/12/2019 6:11am
duckdog77 wrote:
I thought the KTM E50 had adjustable height settings? You can move the sub frame up and down. Would be same size as a JR at...
I thought the KTM E50 had adjustable height settings? You can move the sub frame up and down. Would be same size as a JR at lowest and SR at highest.
it has been said but I havent seen it yet. Still have a 12" front wheel, and bigger susp.
Johnny Depp
11/12/2019 6:44am
For f**ks sake, why doesn't MX Sports and LL let e-bike in all classes. The rule changes move at glacial speed.
duckdog77
11/12/2019 6:50am Edited Date/Time 11/12/2019 6:53am
duckdog77 wrote:
I thought the KTM E50 had adjustable height settings? You can move the sub frame up and down. Would be same size as a JR at...
it has been said but I havent seen it yet. Still have a 12" front wheel, and bigger susp.
There’s a video on deegans you tube channel of Hudson testing one out. A ktm mechanic (i believe) is there talking with Brian and they go over it and how to do it.

Edit: if you watch that video you will see why they made a separate class. Hudson looks to be waaay faster on the E50 than the ICE 50. They don’t state his laps times just that he is faster on the E50. He also enjoys it a lot more than his ICE.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
11/12/2019 7:02am
duckdog77 wrote:
duckdog77 wrote:
There’s a video on deegans you tube channel of Hudson testing one out. A ktm mechanic (i believe) is there talking with Brian and they go...
There’s a video on deegans you tube channel of Hudson testing one out. A ktm mechanic (i believe) is there talking with Brian and they go over it and how to do it.

Edit: if you watch that video you will see why they made a separate class. Hudson looks to be waaay faster on the E50 than the ICE 50. They don’t state his laps times just that he is faster on the E50. He also enjoys it a lot more than his ICE.
Hudson also says something about it being faster than his 50 and almost as fast as his 65.
duckdog77
11/12/2019 7:17am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Hudson also says something about it being faster than his 50 and almost as fast as his 65.
Yup I think you can tell just by watching. The E50 off the line is a rocket compared to the ICE 50. Doesn’t have the clutch slip and it’s a lot easier on the ears. He also says it handles much better which Brian explains a little on why it may seem that way with the instant torque/speed off the line it’s easier to balance for a younger kid. Especially in dealing with hills and jumps.

Sorry if this side tracked the thread a little. This year I think the class will be small but I believe in the years to come we will see the E50 class get bigger. This is a better way of doing it. Growing the bikes with the kids. Instead of trying to make adults switch to E bikes. I know I’ll be interested in seeing where these things go in the next few years as I have a boy due any time now!
4DAIVIPAI2K5
11/12/2019 7:19am
duckdog77 wrote:
duckdog77 wrote:
There’s a video on deegans you tube channel of Hudson testing one out. A ktm mechanic (i believe) is there talking with Brian and they go...

Im all for the separate class but it should be a 7-8 class not a 4-6 class.

If I had the money the boy would have one for his last year on the 50's

He keeps saying he hopes they come out with a 65 soon.
4DAIVIPAI2K5
11/12/2019 7:24am Edited Date/Time 11/12/2019 7:42am
duckdog77 wrote:
Yup I think you can tell just by watching. The E50 off the line is a rocket compared to the ICE 50. Doesn’t have the clutch...
Yup I think you can tell just by watching. The E50 off the line is a rocket compared to the ICE 50. Doesn’t have the clutch slip and it’s a lot easier on the ears. He also says it handles much better which Brian explains a little on why it may seem that way with the instant torque/speed off the line it’s easier to balance for a younger kid. Especially in dealing with hills and jumps.

Sorry if this side tracked the thread a little. This year I think the class will be small but I believe in the years to come we will see the E50 class get bigger. This is a better way of doing it. Growing the bikes with the kids. Instead of trying to make adults switch to E bikes. I know I’ll be interested in seeing where these things go in the next few years as I have a boy due any time now!
ICE 50 will lose out so much to an E50 in the corners. A kid understanding how to keep a ICE 50 right at the clutch engagement in a corner is what makes fast 50 kids fast.

You can the the boy nail this corner earlier this year.

*edit jump to 3:51 in the video. It wont set it to play on its own at that time.
duckdog77
11/12/2019 7:26am
Im all for the separate class but it should be a 7-8 class not a 4-6 class. If I had the money the boy would have...

My guess is that they realize the mistake they made with trying to get the older generation to switch to from ICE to E bikes. 4-6 is the youngest class you can race. So most of these kids will now start on an Ebike at 4 years old. And by the time they turn 7 there will be a 7-8 E class. Then when they are 9 probably a 65 E class and they can grow the E class with the kids that have been racing E bike their whole life and don’t know any different from an ICE. Most kids that are 7-8 right now and already qualifying for LL have a ICE bike already set up and are used to it. It would be a learning curve to have them switch now and could mess with their growth in the sport.
Brandon_Lake
11/12/2019 7:35am
To me it seems like this might be the start of gas 50’s going away. Cobra is jumping on board and maybe 2021 another traditional 50 class might end up being replaced. I would not be surprise in the near future KTM, Husky and Cobra stop making gas powered 50’s all together almost sounds almost familiar.
11/12/2019 7:36am Edited Date/Time 11/12/2019 7:40am
Im all for the separate class but it should be a 7-8 class not a 4-6 class. If I had the money the boy would have...

duckdog77 wrote:
My guess is that they realize the mistake they made with trying to get the older generation to switch to from ICE to E bikes. 4-6...
My guess is that they realize the mistake they made with trying to get the older generation to switch to from ICE to E bikes. 4-6 is the youngest class you can race. So most of these kids will now start on an Ebike at 4 years old. And by the time they turn 7 there will be a 7-8 E class. Then when they are 9 probably a 65 E class and they can grow the E class with the kids that have been racing E bike their whole life and don’t know any different from an ICE. Most kids that are 7-8 right now and already qualifying for LL have a ICE bike already set up and are used to it. It would be a learning curve to have them switch now and could mess with their growth in the sport.
The ICE race 50s are exceedingly difficult to ride, with the 8,000 rpm clutch engagement point necessary to get enough torque to get them off the line decently. They are constantly on the razor's edge between breaking traction and barely moving. I would think a kid would have a hard time going from an electric to one of those.

Conversely, I would think any kid could jump on the electric from the ICE and potentially pull faster times lap 1, provided the power is close enough.
4DAIVIPAI2K5
11/12/2019 7:44am
duckdog77 wrote:
My guess is that they realize the mistake they made with trying to get the older generation to switch to from ICE to E bikes. 4-6...
But as of the info we have today their is no traditionally sized 4-6 E50 bike.
4DAIVIPAI2K5
11/12/2019 7:48am
The ICE race 50s are exceedingly difficult to ride, with the 8,000 rpm clutch engagement point necessary to get enough torque to get them off the...
The ICE race 50s are exceedingly difficult to ride, with the 8,000 rpm clutch engagement point necessary to get enough torque to get them off the line decently. They are constantly on the razor's edge between breaking traction and barely moving. I would think a kid would have a hard time going from an electric to one of those.

Conversely, I would think any kid could jump on the electric from the ICE and potentially pull faster times lap 1, provided the power is close enough.
I agree with this, a Fast ICE kid, is going to go even faster on an E50 right out of the box.

Plus hot damn that cobra E50 looks bad ass!

richardwhite
11/12/2019 8:08am
In 2020 for the AMA rules there will be a mini E jr 4-6 and a mini E sr 7-8
oceantrav
11/12/2019 8:33am
I’ve been calling around this morning to get my kid one for next year. Was going to try LL for pw’s Only, now will try to qualify on pw and electric.

May be putting a deposit on one today!
4DAIVIPAI2K5
11/12/2019 8:34am
In 2020 for the AMA rules there will be a mini E jr 4-6 and a mini E sr 7-8
Then why only a E4-6 for LL 2020
bf884
11/12/2019 8:49am
I read on a cobra forum that the special limited class was going away. Meaning the p3 won’t have its own class. The p3 and ktm mini can still be ridden in the 51cc 4-6 Limited but definitely at a disadvantage compared to the cobra Jr. the Mini e class Is based on seat height and KW. Didn’t see a mention of wheel size. The ktm sx e can be sized from a mini to a senior. Six different adjustments heights. While cobras e bike is based on a senior, I think they will follow suit either making it adjustable height or making another model altogether to fit the class.
4DAIVIPAI2K5
11/12/2019 9:10am
bf884 wrote:
I read on a cobra forum that the special limited class was going away. Meaning the p3 won’t have its own class. The p3 and ktm...
I read on a cobra forum that the special limited class was going away. Meaning the p3 won’t have its own class. The p3 and ktm mini can still be ridden in the 51cc 4-6 Limited but definitely at a disadvantage compared to the cobra Jr. the Mini e class Is based on seat height and KW. Didn’t see a mention of wheel size. The ktm sx e can be sized from a mini to a senior. Six different adjustments heights. While cobras e bike is based on a senior, I think they will follow suit either making it adjustable height or making another model altogether to fit the class.
I'm curious to see the KTM at a lowered height. Thing would have to look like a chopper with the bike dropped and a 12" front wheel. Forks can only slide in a bit before hitting the bottom of the handle bars, while you have alot more area to drop in the rear. Either way will have to mess with the geometry a bunch.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
11/12/2019 9:39am
How many are they making ?
oceantrav
11/12/2019 9:43am
Tarz483 wrote:
How many are they making ?
I’ve called several dealers today. Seems some are only getting 1-2 of them, while others are getting 0. Waiting on a price from one or two I called, then putting a deposit down. Best price I got today was $5700 OTD with tax. Basically MSRP and some $300 freight/prep fee, then tax
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
11/12/2019 9:45am
bf884 wrote:
I read on a cobra forum that the special limited class was going away. Meaning the p3 won’t have its own class. The p3 and ktm...
I'm curious to see the KTM at a lowered height. Thing would have to look like a chopper with the bike dropped and a 12" front...
I'm curious to see the KTM at a lowered height. Thing would have to look like a chopper with the bike dropped and a 12" front wheel. Forks can only slide in a bit before hitting the bottom of the handle bars, while you have alot more area to drop in the rear. Either way will have to mess with the geometry a bunch.
They had the Husky's at MEC and the looked the same as the SX50 Mini.
4DAIVIPAI2K5
11/12/2019 10:07am Edited Date/Time 11/12/2019 10:09am
bf884 wrote:
I'm curious to see the KTM at a lowered height. Thing would have to look like a chopper with the bike dropped and a 12" front...
mattyhamz2 wrote:
They had the Husky's at MEC and the looked the same as the SX50 Mini.
Did it have a 12 or 10" front?

The specs here say it is a 12"

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2019/06/27/2020-husqvarna-ee-5-first-l…
bf884
11/12/2019 11:30am
Most of the lowering is done on the body work. To get to mini size you need an additional part from the power parts catalog. Should have clarified, so from jr to sr with making adjustments and jr to mini with a ktm part
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
11/12/2019 11:51am
Great more classes.
oceantrav
11/12/2019 11:53am
Just put a deposit on one. Hope I get it by Christmas, my kid is going to be stoked! Going to be shredding local parks!

Anyone want a 19 ktm mini with 11 hours? Will be for sale at mini o’s
mikec265
11/12/2019 1:29pm
oceantrav wrote:
Just put a deposit on one. Hope I get it by Christmas, my kid is going to be stoked! Going to be shredding local parks! Anyone...
Just put a deposit on one. Hope I get it by Christmas, my kid is going to be stoked! Going to be shredding local parks!

Anyone want a 19 ktm mini with 11 hours? Will be for sale at mini o’s
I put a deposit down on the Husky on Saturday. I think they are going to sell out after talking to several dealers. I chose the Husky for $100 more than the KTM because of the dealership itself. Supposed to get help on parts and a battery at cost.
I chose the KTHUSKY over waiting on the Cobra because I have 3 kids to hopefully run on this bike over the next few years, and the ergonomic and power adjustments will help. Plus we ride mostly at home, so the bike will get a ton of hours on it. My nephew will ride it sometimes too. If it's as reliable as my Alta has been, we should be very happy with it. It's hard to stomach the cost of it, but I have bought and sold several bikes for about $500. I'm finally going to lose money on one, but it should be worth it.

Post a reply to: Predictions for number of Mini E bikes for 2020.

The Latest