Prado Dam track proposed 36 years ago and counting.

smrscott
11/18/2022 12:01am Edited Date/Time 11/22/2022 5:50pm
Check out this way back machine. Found this post from LA times that references a Race Facility near the Prado Dam back in 1986. It just goes to show they have been trying to bring motorsports back into the riverside/Corona/Chino hills area with no luck for nearly 40 years.

News on the latest attempt to put racing at the Prado gravel and sand yard has gone cold as of late. Anyone have any updates or is it totally dead because of access to the facility?

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1986-01-09-sp-14352-story.html

|
mxracer828
11/18/2022 3:26am
I don’t see it being developed as a track. It’s souther California. If there is a piece of untouched land they are building houses. I know this is off the 71 but isint that close to a nature preserve? It’s sad to see all these tracks shutting down all over. We moved to az a year ago and we already have a track closing due to the land owners not wanting to extend their lease) prob want to build houses on it. Bikes are getting to a point you ask yourself,do I really want to finance a bike for 15k and drive 2 hours to ride 4 hours at a track? Mountain biking is the same way,everything is getting so expensive they are pricing some people out of the sport. There was another track that was supposed to open also correct?
11/18/2022 6:18am
mxracer828 wrote:
I don’t see it being developed as a track. It’s souther California. If there is a piece of untouched land they are building houses. I know...
I don’t see it being developed as a track. It’s souther California. If there is a piece of untouched land they are building houses. I know this is off the 71 but isint that close to a nature preserve? It’s sad to see all these tracks shutting down all over. We moved to az a year ago and we already have a track closing due to the land owners not wanting to extend their lease) prob want to build houses on it. Bikes are getting to a point you ask yourself,do I really want to finance a bike for 15k and drive 2 hours to ride 4 hours at a track? Mountain biking is the same way,everything is getting so expensive they are pricing some people out of the sport. There was another track that was supposed to open also correct?
this. this is a blue collar sport and most of the people who ride cannot afford to do this nor do they have the time. its turning into road racing unfortunately

i wish they OEMs would get involved in land use issues or maybe even invest in the tracks themselves
Zerofear66
11/18/2022 8:00am
I'm surprised someone hasn't looked into building/opening an indoor track for E moto bikes.
soggy
11/20/2022 7:29am
Zerofear66 wrote:
I'm surprised someone hasn't looked into building/opening an indoor track for E moto bikes.
It will happen once there is enough e bike riders. It’s too niche right now but that will change.

The Shop

KirkChandler
11/20/2022 7:59am
A group i was involved with tried two different indoor tracks back in 2005. Neither came to fruition due to a myriad of reasons.

Warehouse space is about a $1 per square foot in Southern California right now, the smallest Supercross track is 1.32 acres = 53,499 sqft which is a tight track with no run off, amateurs need run off.

That’s a very large nut to cover on a limited crowd, on a small track. Before you convince someone to allow you to bring dirt into a building.

To give another reference Pala’s Vet track is 8 acres and that can feel tight. But it would also be your competition.

The karting places seem to be able to make it work, but there’s a lot larger demographic that is willing to go drive a kart than ride a dirtbike.
brocster
11/20/2022 8:06am
I read somewhere that the issue is there is no entry/exit off the freeway to access the property, but my question is how to the sand and gravel trucks access it? We don’t need some paved driveway, we’re dirt bike riders we’ll drive through just about anything to get a ride in.
KirkChandler
11/20/2022 11:49am
brocster wrote:
I read somewhere that the issue is there is no entry/exit off the freeway to access the property, but my question is how to the sand...
I read somewhere that the issue is there is no entry/exit off the freeway to access the property, but my question is how to the sand and gravel trucks access it? We don’t need some paved driveway, we’re dirt bike riders we’ll drive through just about anything to get a ride in.
That’s one of the biggest hurdle. One of the things I heard was that Caltrans wanted an off ramp/bridge. Which a moto track won’t be able to afford. The trucks that came in and out were grand fathered in and the 71 is a lot busier now. Trucks also have haul routes they have to follow, Motocrosser won’t follow a haul route.

We had similar issues with the Pala entrance and had to do road traffic studies to prove we would have less impact than 100 rock trucks entering and exiting daily.
ML512
11/20/2022 12:25pm
brocster wrote:
I read somewhere that the issue is there is no entry/exit off the freeway to access the property, but my question is how to the sand...
As the 71 has gotten busier and busier (it’s a freeway now) they’ve had more and more incidents with the sand&gravel trucks trying to enter from the north bound lane (few wrecks I believe cause they’re basically cutting across two lanes of freeway). So I believe they have opted to only entering the property from the south bound side now. A open riding day would create a lot more vehicles trying to get in and there’s no proper turn lanes, signals, offf ramps etc. I’m sure if they want to expand their permitting and open a new business such as the track, they’d have to comply to updating it all.
brocster
11/20/2022 1:29pm
brocster wrote:
ML512 wrote:
As the 71 has gotten busier and busier (it’s a freeway now) they’ve had more and more incidents with the sand&gravel trucks trying to enter from...
As the 71 has gotten busier and busier (it’s a freeway now) they’ve had more and more incidents with the sand&gravel trucks trying to enter from the north bound lane (few wrecks I believe cause they’re basically cutting across two lanes of freeway). So I believe they have opted to only entering the property from the south bound side now. A open riding day would create a lot more vehicles trying to get in and there’s no proper turn lanes, signals, offf ramps etc. I’m sure if they want to expand their permitting and open a new business such as the track, they’d have to comply to updating it all.
Thanks for the clarification and the facts that show that this track will more than likely never happen.

On another note it would be cool to hear the story behind the fallout of JS63 as it seems he was drilling water wells and what not and poof, carpet yanked from beneath them.
ML512
11/20/2022 2:40pm
brocster wrote:
ML512 wrote:
As the 71 has gotten busier and busier (it’s a freeway now) they’ve had more and more incidents with the sand&gravel trucks trying to enter from...
brocster wrote:
Thanks for the clarification and the facts that show that this track will more than likely never happen. On another note it would be cool to...
Thanks for the clarification and the facts that show that this track will more than likely never happen.

On another note it would be cool to hear the story behind the fallout of JS63 as it seems he was drilling water wells and what not and poof, carpet yanked from beneath them.
From what I heard, Jimmy was just over it and over moto. Sad if true.
wisey
11/21/2022 6:49pm
ML512 wrote:
brocster wrote:
Thanks for the clarification and the facts that show that this track will more than likely never happen. On another note it would be cool to...

ML512 wrote:
From what I heard, Jimmy was just over it and over moto. Sad if true.
That Jimmy guy provided SoCal with some excellent tracks through the years! I would hate to know if the loud, negative minority turned him away from Moto. Also surprised the GM didn’t move forward with the JS63 project via lease or something. A lot of time and money must have went into it and sounded like they had secured all the permits.
MotofactioN
11/22/2022 5:24am
mxracer828 wrote:
I don’t see it being developed as a track. It’s souther California. If there is a piece of untouched land they are building houses. I know...
All the tracks in Florida are closing due to housing these days as well, it’s really sad to see. I know of 3-4 tracks in Florida closing by the end of the year.
11/22/2022 5:50pm
mxracer828 wrote:
All the tracks in Florida are closing due to housing these days as well, it’s really sad to see. I know of 3-4 tracks in Florida...
All the tracks in Florida are closing due to housing these days as well, it’s really sad to see. I know of 3-4 tracks in Florida closing by the end of the year.
sounds like california. florida is going through a huge transformation.

Post a reply to: Prado Dam track proposed 36 years ago and counting.

The Latest

The Latest