Practice track in RI?

Anyone been to buttonwoods mx? Cool someone has added a riding place in a lousy state for dirt biking. Looks quite narrow however from the videos I saw. Might go with a couple friends but much of it looks like tree lined trails more than an MX track. Maybe I’ll take a drive there first to check it out. Wanted to get some input if anyone’s been.
|
drivrswntd
6/23/2021 7:56pm
Anyone been to buttonwoods mx? Cool someone has added a riding place in a lousy state for dirt biking. Looks quite narrow however from the videos...
Anyone been to buttonwoods mx? Cool someone has added a riding place in a lousy state for dirt biking. Looks quite narrow however from the videos I saw. Might go with a couple friends but much of it looks like tree lined trails more than an MX track. Maybe I’ll take a drive there first to check it out. Wanted to get some input if anyone’s been.
Curious as well. Haven’t found any good photos or details on the full track. We are split even between MX23 and Wareham so a good local practice track would be pretty cool
jleews6
6/24/2021 4:08am
I grew up in Scituate and we had tons of places to ride. Its sad that all that has gone away.
fourfourone
6/24/2021 4:37am
Anyone been to buttonwoods mx? Cool someone has added a riding place in a lousy state for dirt biking. Looks quite narrow however from the videos...
drivrswntd wrote:
Curious as well. Haven’t found any good photos or details on the full track. We are split even between MX23 and Wareham so a good local...
Curious as well. Haven’t found any good photos or details on the full track. We are split even between MX23 and Wareham so a good local practice track would be pretty cool
Gotta love riding all the mulch at mx23!
6/24/2021 6:23am
I have been looking for land up in the north east corner of CT for a yr to build a track but the prices are outrageous..I feel it's a good location for the tri-state riders.

The Shop

charlie68
6/24/2021 6:26am
I have been looking for land up in the north east corner of CT for a yr to build a track but the prices are outrageous..I...
I have been looking for land up in the north east corner of CT for a yr to build a track but the prices are outrageous..I feel it's a good location for the tri-state riders.
There is Central Cycle Club in Central Village ( Plainfield )
murph783
6/24/2021 6:26am
I have been looking for land up in the north east corner of CT for a yr to build a track but the prices are outrageous..I...
Good location, bad pricing, bad state to really do anything in lol. hey I’ll come ride if you get it going though
fourfourone
6/24/2021 6:58am
murph783 wrote:
Good location, bad pricing, bad state to really do anything in lol. hey I’ll come ride if you get it going though
X2
6/24/2021 7:01pm
The new place in RI has a $500 yearly membership. Theoretically sounds good but I noticed you have to DM them for the location. Makes me wonder why? Issue with neighbors? Gotta go check it out at some point.
Crossup
6/25/2021 8:15am

It's good to see that someone's got some open land in his trying to open a track in Rhode Island. I grew up in Newport and a lot of us rode and raced in the 70s and 80s. Back in the day there were plenty of places to ride even on the island. Now it's completely locked down with the hyper liberal culture in Rhode Island. Kind of funny when you think of it that little Rhode Island had an MX National in 1978 at Pinetop 500-125 class and they just had a world trials event that brought in Toni Bou and all the top guys from around the world.

https://www.facebook.com/buttonwoodsMX/
6/25/2021 10:51am
Crossup wrote:
It's good to see that someone's got some open land in his trying to open a track in Rhode Island. I grew up in Newport and...

It's good to see that someone's got some open land in his trying to open a track in Rhode Island. I grew up in Newport and a lot of us rode and raced in the 70s and 80s. Back in the day there were plenty of places to ride even on the island. Now it's completely locked down with the hyper liberal culture in Rhode Island. Kind of funny when you think of it that little Rhode Island had an MX National in 1978 at Pinetop 500-125 class and they just had a world trials event that brought in Toni Bou and all the top guys from around the world.

I remember a lot of guys riding Kaiser aluminum on the island. Never made it over as we had the sand dunes and Beatty’s in W Greenwich as well as a track next to a church in Johnston. Not to mention woods riding.

Went to the pine top National. My first ever. Got to get to a trials world championships at stepping stone some day.
Crossup
6/25/2021 12:12pm
Crossup wrote:
It's good to see that someone's got some open land in his trying to open a track in Rhode Island. I grew up in Newport and...

I remember a lot of guys riding Kaiser aluminum on the island. Never made it over as we had the sand dunes and Beatty’s in W...
I remember a lot of guys riding Kaiser aluminum on the island. Never made it over as we had the sand dunes and Beatty’s in W Greenwich as well as a track next to a church in Johnston. Not to mention woods riding.

Went to the pine top National. My first ever. Got to get to a trials world championships at stepping stone some day.
That's cool! I've ridden most of the places you have including Kaiser. There was a track at the old Festival Field in Newport, one near the Johnston dump, and one over in Plainville Connecticut. There was one Soleisis (sp) farm in Attleboro and there was one in Charlestown RI right next to the Amtrak tracks... we always seem to find someplace to go. Now I'm living in Freetown and getting out in the forest 3 days a week which is good enough at this point.
7/20/2021 12:02pm
Hey man. I own the track. I do it myself and run a few other business at same time. So in its infancy we don’t publish address so people don’t just show up. We rather have 100 good riders who are all respectful than a million people just to make money. It’s 12-18 feet wide in most spots. It’s designed to be a Jday practice track. Not a full moto track. It’s in a wooded area and I wanted to preserve the natural elements around. Our neighbors are great. We only have 2. We actually did publish address on IG before practice dates just not fully. If you message me your first ride is on me. Come check it out.
7/20/2021 1:08pm
Hey man. I own the track. I do it myself and run a few other business at same time. So in its infancy we don’t publish...
Hey man. I own the track. I do it myself and run a few other business at same time. So in its infancy we don’t publish address so people don’t just show up. We rather have 100 good riders who are all respectful than a million people just to make money. It’s 12-18 feet wide in most spots. It’s designed to be a Jday practice track. Not a full moto track. It’s in a wooded area and I wanted to preserve the natural elements around. Our neighbors are great. We only have 2. We actually did publish address on IG before practice dates just not fully. If you message me your first ride is on me. Come check it out.
Cool - no small endeavor getting something together off road related in RI. I
7/11/2022 2:12pm
Just saw on Buttonwoods Face Book page that the RI Dept of Environmental Mgt is on the track's case. Crazy that city street riders on probably stolen dirt bikes get away with it, but this place comes under fire from the state. I don't think the city riders would go to a dirt track for free if you transported their bikes there for them, but come on and let law abiding people ride their dirtbikes that they paid for in the woods, without the threat of the state on their backs.

Cygrace74
7/11/2022 2:15pm
Not trying to be environmental guy but it looks like he blatantly went into wetlands in multiple spots. Yeah it’s annoying but it’s a well known thing to avoid and he did it anyway.
8/14/2023 12:23pm

Per their facebook page it sounds like things are going well for their future:

Richmond Planning board voted unanimously last night to recommend our zone change and zoning amendments to the Town Council which would include motocross in our zoned district. Final hurdle is September 5th at the Town Hall and then motocross racing could become a reality in Rhode Island!

Living just about 10 minutes away, if that, might be time to get a dirt bike again.

8/14/2023 12:47pm
charlie68 wrote:
There is Central Cycle Club in Central Village ( Plainfield )

I'm a member at Central. My buddies have been to Buttonwoods. They said it was fun. I believe it's a little on the small side but it's a track they're still developing.  I tried going to MX23 Friday and it ended up being closed. I really wanna go to 508. I hear it's awesome

8/14/2023 12:49pm
Hey man. I own the track. I do it myself and run a few other business at same time. So in its infancy we don’t publish...

I've heard good things. Look forward to riding there in the future. I follow your Instagram page

8/14/2023 1:00pm
I'm a member at Central. My buddies have been to Buttonwoods. They said it was fun. I believe it's a little on the small side but...

I'm a member at Central. My buddies have been to Buttonwoods. They said it was fun. I believe it's a little on the small side but it's a track they're still developing.  I tried going to MX23 Friday and it ended up being closed. I really wanna go to 508. I hear it's awesome

First NESC race I ever watched was at CCC in 1983, first race was 125 Novice at CCC in 1984, and first win was in 1985 125 Novice at CCC.  Great place you all have carved out there.

fourfourone
8/14/2023 1:25pm

I've heard good things. Look forward to riding there in the future. I follow your Instagram page

508 is super fun. Fast track with good jumps. 

8/14/2023 3:56pm
I'm a member at Central. My buddies have been to Buttonwoods. They said it was fun. I believe it's a little on the small side but...

First NESC race I ever watched was at CCC in 1983, first race was 125 Novice at CCC in 1984, and first win was in 1985...

First NESC race I ever watched was at CCC in 1983, first race was 125 Novice at CCC in 1984, and first win was in 1985 125 Novice at CCC.  Great place you all have carved out there.

It's a kick ass community of guys down there. And you get the keys to the track to ride whenever you want

7eleven
8/14/2023 5:59pm

How about laying out a retro track under a set of powerlines? It was usually a good opportunity base on the electric company had already cleared the land. 
Just keep laying down moto’s until you get kicked out. We’ve made some epic tracks over the years in New England under those conditions. Some of those tracks would get so gnarly rough over time, it was rad. 

-Austin

8/15/2023 6:12am
7eleven wrote:
How about laying out a retro track under a set of powerlines? It was usually a good opportunity base on the electric company had already cleared...

How about laying out a retro track under a set of powerlines? It was usually a good opportunity base on the electric company had already cleared the land. 
Just keep laying down moto’s until you get kicked out. We’ve made some epic tracks over the years in New England under those conditions. Some of those tracks would get so gnarly rough over time, it was rad. 

-Austin

Did a lot of powerline riding as a kid in the 70s.  Well RI so can't go too far on the powerlines but they were some fun times.  I don't think ours were any good for laying out an mx track though.

7eleven
8/15/2023 7:32am
7eleven wrote:
How about laying out a retro track under a set of powerlines? It was usually a good opportunity base on the electric company had already cleared...

-Austin

Did a lot of powerline riding as a kid in the 70s.  Well RI so can't go too far on the powerlines but they were some...

Did a lot of powerline riding as a kid in the 70s.  Well RI so can't go too far on the powerlines but they were some fun times.  I don't think ours were any good for laying out an mx track though.

Someone mentioned Freetown and honestly, that was my go to spot for a decade. We had 3 different tracks to choose from, all depending on the moisture in the dirt. No idea what that land looks like now, but definitely a spot to check out. My buddy owned some of the land and he rode MX. Likely he still owns it. 

Cygrace74
8/17/2023 10:13am
7eleven wrote:
Someone mentioned Freetown and honestly, that was my go to spot for a decade. We had 3 different tracks to choose from, all depending on the...

Someone mentioned Freetown and honestly, that was my go to spot for a decade. We had 3 different tracks to choose from, all depending on the moisture in the dirt. No idea what that land looks like now, but definitely a spot to check out. My buddy owned some of the land and he rode MX. Likely he still owns it. 

98% of Freetown is just rocks, as in absolutely no dirt you’re riding from rock to rock

8/17/2023 11:04am
7eleven wrote:
Someone mentioned Freetown and honestly, that was my go to spot for a decade. We had 3 different tracks to choose from, all depending on the...

Cygrace74 wrote:

98% of Freetown is just rocks, as in absolutely no dirt you’re riding from rock to rock

Thats crazy. I went to a sand track on some powerlines  out there a very long time ago. I think I was out shooting video. Might have been in the late 90's. And it was a rough  sand track. WIld to think all the sand could be gone now. Or maybe its just all the wacks to the head I took. Who knows maybe we were supposed to go to freetown and followed the person we went with to a different location.  I remember getting kicked out pretty soon after arriving and all the trucks got parking tickets.  

I love looking at Google earth and finding private MX tracks. I was blown away with how many there are in MA. 

b_kowalsk
8/17/2023 1:10pm
7eleven wrote:

-Austin

It's getting tougher, but alot of our riding in CT is based off of the powerlines and adjoining land. They've been steadily clamping down on our trails however. 

We used to have a whooped out sand track that was a great training spot. Recently found a new location to  start burning laps on, see how long that spot lasts. 

Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
8/17/2023 1:29pm

I remember the late 80's early 90's we used to go to RI from New Hampshire in the winter and ride a sand track that you pulled off the highway to get to. I just can't remember exactly where it was.

fourfourone
8/17/2023 1:37pm
7eleven wrote:

-Austin

b_kowalsk wrote:
It's getting tougher, but alot of our riding in CT is based off of the powerlines and adjoining land. They've been steadily clamping down on our...

It's getting tougher, but alot of our riding in CT is based off of the powerlines and adjoining land. They've been steadily clamping down on our trails however. 

We used to have a whooped out sand track that was a great training spot. Recently found a new location to  start burning laps on, see how long that spot lasts. 

There's definitely some good sand tracks in CT that are still somewhat low key. 

8/17/2023 3:31pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2023 3:34pm
Myke wrote:
I remember the late 80's early 90's we used to go to RI from New Hampshire in the winter and ride a sand track that you...

I remember the late 80's early 90's we used to go to RI from New Hampshire in the winter and ride a sand track that you pulled off the highway to get to. I just can't remember exactly where it was.

Route 95 to Division Rd on Coventry / West Greenwich line. Known as the sand dunes or RI desert. Sand was by product of a quarry I believe. Sugary sand that could get into anything.   Often rode there on a weeknight.  Weekends were too crazy with ATV, dune buggies, trucks and bikes.  State of RI land and they eventually closed it down maybe late 80s or 90s. Was also a good dirt area across the street and lots of trails.  Only legal riding now is mountain biking in the Big River Reservoir area.  State also seized the land from homeowners by eminent domain in the 60s or 70s for a reservoir that was never built.  

Post a reply to: Practice track in RI?

The Latest