Practice track ethics

kakarot
Edited Date/Time 1/28/2014 4:45pm
Should a slower rider hold his line or move over for passing riders?I recently witnessed a rider revving for the right of way at a local track and it's got me wondering. I ask this because I am helping a friends 12 year son with motocross and believe it is the responsibility of the over taker to do it safely and responsibly.
|
1/27/2014 6:02pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2014 6:02pm
Hold your line. A guy trying to move out of my way cost me a broken femur.

Especially during practice. Nobody should bitch if they get held up for a second waiting for a safe spot to pass during practice
Socket946
1/27/2014 6:03pm

I agree. When it's practice, spend less time looking back, and more time following your line and being "predictable" I have a horrible video of me following a buddy as he looks back, sees me, and then cuts HARD across the track. I ripped him right after, saying he was going to get hurt badly.
Panic_Rev
1/27/2014 6:33pm
Hold your line. I too find it funny that people Rev their engine. I would think the faster rider would take that opportunity to change up their line to make the pass. That is what they will have to do in a race situation so use that as practice. I get revved at a lot so I have put a lot of thought into this topic.
JW381
1/27/2014 6:36pm
Gotta agree, hold your line. The fast guy might get pissed and rev for the right of way, and I can understand why to a certain extent, but pissed pros is better than injuries.

The Shop

al711
1/27/2014 6:37pm
Hold your line. If somebody is revvin behind you on a moto track they're a complete douche. I understand revving in the woods though(not much room to pass).
Big Lenny
1/27/2014 6:41pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2014 6:44pm
First thing I taught my Grandson and Grandaughter was to hold your line, if someone is faster they'll get around you...and only look back when you're about to exit the track...
mark_swart
1/27/2014 6:49pm
Agree with holding your line as they overtake, but if you have the situational awareness to see them catching you from a few corners back, there's also nothing wrong with moving out of the main line. Just DON'T do it as they are trying to pass you!
mark_swart
1/27/2014 6:51pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2014 6:51pm
(And any rider who is revving for somebody to get over for them during a freaking practice day is really being a d-bag as far as I'm concerned. This is motocross, if they want the pass it they better sack up and TAKE it, because nobody is going to hand it to them during a race!)
1/27/2014 6:55pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2014 7:24pm
Cross-over. Get out of my way. It's my track. Then once I go by....cross back over again the other way. Repeat every time your passed or when you hear that d-bag behind you revving his bike to the moon. Of course, if the guy is a super dousche just hold your line and let him blow his bike up.

As long as you cross-over, you'll make the local orthopedic surgeon a very happy man. And as long as you hold your line you'll cost the dousche lots of money. It's a win-win.

Countless riders have crossed over on me. However, there were 2 riiders who have crossed over on me in the past 15 years that I will remember forever. The first caused a get off where I had a plate and six screws put in the collarbone. And the second august 2012 that caused me to break my foot as my foot came to a dead stop on the girls footpeg. She was crossing over to the right in the center of the double because most were hitting it on the left. Just hold your line. Normally I wouldn't of even jumped it, but I didnt see her because she was inbetween the face and the landing, another guy checked up on the left, and I thought I had enough cleared distance on the right and when I left the face all I saw was slow motion and her coming right at me. Nothing I could do.....bad day. Hold your line.
kakarot
1/27/2014 7:01pm
Thanks guys,that's what I've always thought.I just want this kid to be safe and have fun,not worried about every rider behind him and making forced errors.
1/27/2014 7:04pm
The VERY first lecture everyone that rides my track is hears is "DO NOT GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!!" I am constantly gauging where the rider in front of me is going at their pace..... and read where his momentum will take him into corners and jump sections. I cannot stand when slower riders try to avoid me!!!. Ive been taken out 2 times that I can remember by a rider "avoiding me" at the very last second that bent up both me and the bike!

like wise...If I know I have a faster rider closing up on me I usually go as straight and fast as I can to a place on the track not in the main race line. Doing so is just good safe practice to keeping both you and other riders on two wheels.
TeamGreen
1/27/2014 7:09pm
kakarot wrote:
Should a slower rider hold his line or move over for passing riders?I recently witnessed a rider revving for the right of way at a local...
Should a slower rider hold his line or move over for passing riders?I recently witnessed a rider revving for the right of way at a local track and it's got me wondering. I ask this because I am helping a friends 12 year son with motocross and believe it is the responsibility of the over taker to do it safely and responsibly.
Yup!
JM485
1/27/2014 7:17pm
I have pretty well made the transition from the rider being passed to the rider doing the passing, and as said before, hold your line!!! I have no problem being held up for a corner by a slower rider if that means we are both safe, I'm not out there to win practice. When I hear a faster rider coming, I will not scrub or whip and will hold my line as best I can, they will find a way around.
Skerby
1/27/2014 7:20pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2014 7:20pm
Maybe go wide in a corner for em. I rev at people all damn day, I'm not usually pissed, just lettin em know.
TheWeapon
Fantasy
53rd
1/27/2014 7:20pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2014 7:21pm
LOL. The only place I have free-revved someone is in Enduro / GNCC type racing. Anyone who does that at an mx track (on a practice day.... nothing wrong with a panic rev during a race to scare someone out of the way) should be raped by a bear. If someone did that to me on an mx track, I would laugh to myself, then brake-check them.
bonseff
1/27/2014 7:26pm
Revers and yellers at the local track on an off race weekend suck. We get it. You're faster than us and stuck behind us, and are totally pissed and frustrated for no other reason than it's 2:13pm on a Sunday while not at work. If it wasn't for my slow, old ass you'd totally crush the other local pro's lap times. My bad.
1/27/2014 7:28pm
Skerby wrote:
Maybe go wide in a corner for em. I rev at people all damn day, I'm not usually pissed, just lettin em know.
Try this.....

yell: "Excuse me kind sir, could you please cross over to the opposing side of the track and endanger other riders that may be passing the both of us!"
Motodave15
1/27/2014 7:50pm
If your not trying to win practice, your in the wrong sport!!

But on another note, tell him to hold his line.... I recently landed on the side of a table top landing because some squid went from right to left,.. and i almost landed on him, trying to jump past him on his left
bryan
1/27/2014 8:07pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2014 8:07pm
Hold your line, and if it happens a lot, go ride the vet track instead.
TeamGreen
1/27/2014 8:11pm
Passing someone is a Golden Opportunity to practice PASSING SOMEONE.

It's PRACTICE, after-all.
jmx411
1/27/2014 8:16pm
Held my line one time in practice. Next thing I know guy goes all Cooper Webb on Stewart and takes my front wheel out. Anyways carry on
bonseff
1/27/2014 8:22pm
People who love to ride don't necessarily need to "win practice". If your best move is to rev and yell, then maybe you're in the wrong sport.
rolandk
1/27/2014 8:56pm
I ride mostly open tracks with all skill levels. If you hear a rider coming up behind you it's hard to judge how fast they are going and where they plan on going. I've tried to move over a couple times and almost caused a wreck so I always hold my line on the straights and usually take the outside line in the corners. The only thing that irritates me a little is getting my front wheel chopped off in a corner but to be honest I've probably done it to other riders unintentionally. You have to have pretty thick skin even at practice.
Barrett57
1/27/2014 9:03pm
Hold your line, being predictable is the safest thing to be, swerving all over the place will result in a crash.

Faster riders will get around you.
1/27/2014 9:53pm
If I'm at speed then I hold my line. If I'm cruising to cool down or regroup I look back over every jump and out of every corner to get out of the main line if someone is back in the distance (on busy days).
JRMX59
1/27/2014 10:19pm
Big Lenny wrote:
First thing I taught my Grandson and Grandaughter was to hold your line, if someone is faster they'll get around you...and only look back when you're...
First thing I taught my Grandson and Grandaughter was to hold your line, if someone is faster they'll get around you...and only look back when you're about to exit the track...
Great advice. I always tell new or younger riders to hold their line, faster guys are setting you up 2 turns back. They'll get around you safely that way. Yeah revvers, screamers, wtf?
1/27/2014 10:32pm
I get hold your line...but... Ride on the track that suites your ability... And I disagree with the never look back... I watch my back so others don't land on it...I raise my hand and pull to the right ...when I hear faster riders coming
JeepnMike
1/27/2014 10:43pm
I am not sure if this is an attribute you can teach or is just an unwritten rule for someone being lapped or clearly overtaken, but hold your line, AND, add a glance, a body posture change, a hand, something to let the person flying by know that you are aware they are coming. If you watch SX, MX, you will commonly see lappers stand up, drop elbows, etc. and take a passive posture when they are being lapped if they want to be cordial. It makes the guy passing you feel a lot more comfortable and if you are slower, you gain some respect points. I have a feeling the few guys that have been busted up crashing while passing would agree.
pecu_83
1/27/2014 10:59pm
I get hold your line...but... Ride on the track that suites your ability... And I disagree with the never look back... I watch my back so...
I get hold your line...but... Ride on the track that suites your ability... And I disagree with the never look back... I watch my back so others don't land on it...I raise my hand and pull to the right ...when I hear faster riders coming
I´ve seen crashes happen this way too.

Just hold your line PERIOD! Its the only safe way. And the guys cruising a whole lap or a section, they are a hazard as well. If you are too tired to ride fast, then go to the pits to cool down / regroup and then go back to the track! And all revvers are douches, just make the pass.

Ride safe, have fun!
Big Lenny
1/27/2014 11:07pm
I get hold your line...but... Ride on the track that suites your ability... And I disagree with the never look back... I watch my back so...
We're talking about teaching kids to ride, if he has to/she has to constantly keep looking back over every obstacle then they don't need to be on that track...I'd rather have them turn and look than simply raise their hand and pull to the right thinking they might know where the rider is coming from,..remember they're kids...

Post a reply to: Practice track ethics

The Latest