Powdercoating KTM Frame

Garrett314
Edited Date/Time 2/21/2018 5:50pm
I found vital threads from 2013-2015, but not much since then. Do we know what the color code is for KTM orange? Just bought a used 2017 KTM SX-F 450 and would like to powdercoat the frame as I go through the bike. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Garrett
|
bsharkey
2/18/2018 3:50pm
Most places can match the color if you bring them something
Brent
2/18/2018 3:53pm
RAL 2009

The Shop

MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
2/18/2018 4:56pm
Garrett314 wrote:
I found vital threads from 2013-2015, but not much since then. Do we know what the color code is for KTM orange? Just bought a used...
I found vital threads from 2013-2015, but not much since then. Do we know what the color code is for KTM orange? Just bought a used 2017 KTM SX-F 450 and would like to powdercoat the frame as I go through the bike. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Garrett
You may have found one of my threads about a 14 250SX build. I did use RAL 2009 and it was damn near identical.

Also, be careful removing the T Piece..... Woohoo

newmann
2/18/2018 5:04pm
Garrett314 wrote:
I found vital threads from 2013-2015, but not much since then. Do we know what the color code is for KTM orange? Just bought a used...

Garrett
MxKing809 wrote:
You may have found one of my threads about a 14 250SX build. I did use RAL 2009 and it was damn near identical. Also, be...
You may have found one of my threads about a 14 250SX build. I did use RAL 2009 and it was damn near identical.

Also, be careful removing the T Piece..... Woohoo

Be careful? Might as well buy a new t pipe. That little gem is there for life. I painted my frame and left it in. Can’t do that with powder.
Bruce372
2/18/2018 5:54pm
What do people do with the vin? Mine is a sticker and not stamped in the frame...
eeazye
2/18/2018 7:00pm
Bruce372 wrote:
What do people do with the vin? Mine is a sticker and not stamped in the frame...
Be very specific with the powder coater about this. I’ve had two frames done and both got the VINs blasted. First one was my fault, I didn’t know better, second one was their fault. Two different companies. I was emphatic about them staying away from the VIN, the guy that quoted the job didn’t relay the info to the lady doing the work. I should have known better, he was one of those guys that acts like he’s doing you a favor to take your money. Whenever I get that vibe from somebody whatever the deal is usually turns to shit.

Second bike I re-stamped the VIN. Looks ok, but wouldn’t hold up to close scrutiny. I have some solace in the fact that I am the title holder, the serial on the engine is linked to the chassis, and if it really came down to it, they could see the original VIN under high def optics. Probably will never be a big deal.

Long story short, make sure that VIN is covered with a magnet before they blast it with black beauty. Mine looked like a sticker but it’s actually clear protective tape over the barely stamped VIN. It might actually be etched. But if all you have is a sticker, take newmann’s advice and get it painted. Whole lot less hassle in the long run.
BobPA
2/18/2018 9:15pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Tape it off. what kind of bike do you have that the vin is is not stamped in the frame? Do not think I have encountered a frame without a stamping..
eeazye
2/18/2018 9:22pm
Bruce372 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
Tape it off. what kind of bike do you have that the vin is is not stamped in the frame? Do not think I have encountered...
Tape it off. what kind of bike do you have that the vin is is not stamped in the frame? Do not think I have encountered a frame without a stamping..
The media they use to strip the frame so powder coat will bond will disintegrate tape.
BobPA
2/18/2018 9:41pm
Bruce372 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
Tape it off. what kind of bike do you have that the vin is is not stamped in the frame? Do not think I have encountered...
eeazye wrote:
The media they use to strip the frame so powder coat will bond will disintegrate tape.
Good point, I was thinking the frame was already prepped for some reason.
Byron909
2/18/2018 11:22pm
Bruce372 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
I actually have 2. 1 is a 08 kx 450 that was one of ferrys.
Other is a 15.5 ktm, same deal, works frame.
The factory team stuff doesnt have vins.
My kawi frame doesnt even have the raised area where a vin would be stamped.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
2/19/2018 10:51am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2018 10:54am
Bruce372 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
eeazye wrote:
You tape the VIN after prepping/before spraying the powder and it comes out perfect.

*edit* O, if the original vin is actually a sticker that is weird...is that even legal?
erik_94COBRA
2/19/2018 11:31am
Does aftermarket powder hold up better than the factory paint/powder?
2/19/2018 7:08pm
What does everyone do about in-frame threads? Just like someone above the first one I did was my fault for not thinking/knowing. Second one I asked them to protect any exposed frame threads but they powdered over most of them anyway.

Tape? Silicone plugs?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
2/19/2018 7:45pm
What does everyone do about in-frame threads? Just like someone above the first one I did was my fault for not thinking/knowing. Second one I asked...
What does everyone do about in-frame threads? Just like someone above the first one I did was my fault for not thinking/knowing. Second one I asked them to protect any exposed frame threads but they powdered over most of them anyway.

Tape? Silicone plugs?
A good powder shop should plug all of the threads for you.
BobPA
2/19/2018 8:01pm
What does everyone do about in-frame threads? Just like someone above the first one I did was my fault for not thinking/knowing. Second one I asked...

Tape? Silicone plugs?
A good powder shop should plug all of the threads for you.
This. Or plug the holes with junk hardware.
newmann
2/19/2018 8:44pm

Tape? Silicone plugs?
Most threads in a frame are 6mm x 1.0 or 8mm x 1.25. Any motocrosser should have plenty of those spares laying around.

exhibit A

Painting around all that tubing can be fun. Some people can even do it without hanging runs all over it.Wink

exhibit B

Byron909
2/19/2018 8:53pm
Does aftermarket powder hold up better than the factory paint/powder?
In most cases yes. But ktm got good with their paint work around 08ish. Blasting them the old paint just falls off. Seems the 08 up ones not so much. They all seem to hold up good from then to now. If you take to any decent powdercoater i wouldnt worry About quality. And on holes, i used to plug everything with an old bolt, only to find when i remove bolt the paint sometimes chips from being bonded to the old bolt and frame. These days i just leave the old bolts out, and when done run a thread chase with a shot of penatrating oil and as is well.
And on the subject of color, the first orange frame i did years ago, i took a orange ktm part to the powdercoater to match, told him the ral code, at end of day in his system it came up as safety orange. So from then on thats my color. Here is a before and after.
1st photo is my works ktm frame as i got it back in '15.

And after

Always looked right to me

lumpy790
2/20/2018 6:51am
FYI - Moto Hose T Hose $79.95 is $30 less than competition.

We in the process of doing a production run of the special tool to remove the stock tube. Expect to have them in a couple weeks.

swatdoc
2/21/2018 5:50pm
Excellent - I bought the tool from KTM years ago and it was pretty pricey. REALLY hard to get that T-pipe apart and removed with out it. I tried several things and finally gave up and special ordered the tool

Post a reply to: Powdercoating KTM Frame

The Latest