Potential Australian GP

jamma10
Edited Date/Time 11/28/2014 3:54am
Lets hope so!!

Speaking to Kevin Williams the promoter of the Australian Motocross Grand Prix’s in 2000 and 2001 this morning and it seems that he is more than interested in putting together a package to bring the MXGP and MX2 riders to Australia.

Williams who is very passionate about the sport and will be having talks with local governments in the coming months about the possibility of government support, something that is needed to bring riders like Antonio Cairoli and Jeffrey Herlings to Australia.

Williams who already has government support for his Australian motocross championships is as always confident they can put something together, but support from the government is imperative to make it work.

“We would love to run an Australian GP again” Williams said. “I mean it was a highlight to run those two GPs back in 2000 and 2001, and to have guys like Stefan Everts and Joel Smets racing here. It also gave guys like Chad Reed, Andrew McFarlane and Michael Byrne the chance to show off their talents. For the sport in general in Australia, another Australian Grand Prix would be massive.”

Williams also knows that with Australia well represented in the FIM Motocross World Championships the Australian motocross public are into the GP series as much as ever.

“At the moment we have guys like Todd Waters and Dean Ferris riding in the GPs and that brings a lot of interest with the Australian public. I think 2015 will also be huge with Ryan Villopoto racing the GP’s, so the Australian motocross fans will be watching more than ever. Everyone in Australia is talking about that, it’s a good time for Youthstream.”

Williams is also having talks with the Broadford circuit in the coming weeks (the very same circuit that hosted the 2000 and 2001 GP rounds). Broadford has been given a huge bonus from the local Government to upgrade the circuit.

The State Motorcycle Sports Complex has secured a major upgrade worth $550,000 from the State Government of Victoria, which will allow the facility to attract more riders and visitors and world-class motorcycling sporting events to Broadford.

For Williams, Broadford is one of the favourite circuits to run the Australian Grand Prix, although he also has his eyes on circuits in other states in Australia.

“Of course Broadford is one of the main circuits in Australia, but we also look at circuits in South Australia and Queensland. I am also having talks with the governments in those states. Unfortunately we don’t really have a circuit in New South Wales that could run a Grand Prix, and I mean that in the area around the circuits doesn’t have the space to comply with the rules Youthstream set, unless we went to Eastern Creek (a road racing facility), but to be honest I would prefer to go to a circuit with really good natural terrain, and a circuit that is currently in use in the Australian Motocross Championship.”

What Williams is sure about is the Australian public are ready for an Australian Grand Prix and he will do everything in his powers to make it happen as quickly as possible.

http://www.mxgp.com/news/australian-grand-prix
|
Whitey
11/24/2014 4:08am
He doesn't even mention Manjimup, by far the best track in Australia....who is this goon?
SwapperMX
11/24/2014 4:47am
Hope it happens, would be great for the sport here !!
11/24/2014 5:16am
That's a no-brainer from the series perspective to some random American.

The Shop

11/24/2014 5:30am
if so I hope the Ozzies step up to fill the gates as this will be harder and more expensive than the other fly away races for small teams/privateers.
wow123
11/24/2014 5:35am
looks good on paper and would be a good thing

but

now he chimes in?, years and years after those first 2,

which begs the question why now?

gov (tax payers) money? well obviously money in some form

some see him as nicely as some do lubongo

he made very good money off those first 2 gps, with +-25,000 at each one!

maybe if yarrive was involved, at least he was a pretty good racer.

jamma10
11/24/2014 6:35am
As long as the ticket prices don't take the piss I don't have a problem with a race promoter making money. Youthstream expects so much from GP organisers these days that there is little incentive for anyone to take the risk at all anymore!
11/24/2014 6:49am
Whitey wrote:
He doesn't even mention Manjimup, by far the best track in Australia....who is this goon?
Yeh, but he mentions South Australia.... does any one even live there anymore? Its gotta be Manjimup...even the Motocross Des Nations has been there....
Sunhouse
11/24/2014 8:14am
Broadford was a boring track, if they upgrade it it could be good, it had potential.

Manjimup would be awesome!
11/24/2014 3:23pm
Whitey wrote:
Haarrr! I laughed so hard at that one. He is our own version of Luongo.

Manji is def an epic track and great town with the right facilities to hold such an event, as it was in 92 MXdN which I flew over for and have been back the 15,000 and Nationals later, and a better and more beautiful race track than Broadford IMO (although I never raced Manji), but the location hurts it I feel for logistics, spectators and national rider entries. Broadford is a great town for the event and with a good track designer and team on board, plus the money, should ensure another great GP like the last 2, which I attended also. I still have to travel either way, but will be there.
rhysthomas
11/24/2014 6:04pm
Manjimup is easily the best track I've raced in AUS.. an Aussie GP would be rad, Already have the Thai GP a short flight from home. Youthstream, how about an Indonesian GP? We have some cool tracks here too
11/24/2014 6:16pm Edited Date/Time 4/3/2015 4:07am
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
11/24/2014 9:48pm
#991 wrote:
But you have Horsham in Vic this year, just down the road from Wonthaggi! Smile
Jrewing
11/25/2014 12:54am
What about coolum?

Hope this shit happens...near Sydney and they build a new decent track.
The island action Motorsport complex needs a cash injection.. Maybe they could start a club and get govt money.
That'd track would be fine and hopefully the amenities
11/25/2014 12:58am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2015 4:08am
Jrewing wrote:
What about coolum? Hope this shit happens...near Sydney and they build a new decent track. The island action Motorsport complex needs a cash injection.. Maybe they...
What about coolum?

Hope this shit happens...near Sydney and they build a new decent track.
The island action Motorsport complex needs a cash injection.. Maybe they could start a club and get govt money.
That'd track would be fine and hopefully the amenities
11/25/2014 12:59am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2015 4:08am
#991 wrote:
aaryn #234 wrote:
But you have Horsham in Vic this year, just down the road from Wonthaggi! Smile
Lippy111
11/25/2014 1:01am
As an aussie, as much as I hate to say it, we have crap tracks. The US have local tracks that piss all over our national tracks. If we were to host a GP, we'd need a kickass track with big elevation changes and some huge jumps, not some flat dust bowl with a couple of table tops, like most of our tracks.
Tony922
11/25/2014 2:08am
Manjimup, wa, is just so bloody far away for so many Aussies to get to. Connondale is a bigger venue but probably too far away from hotels etc that the shiney arses would want to stay in. Coolum is close to civilisation but is flat and boring to watch.
Even though I'm a queenslander, probably down near Sydney would be the most practical to get the crowds and tick the corporate boxes. Just need to build a decent track......
Jrewing
11/25/2014 2:37am
Sydney Motorsport Park needs an mx track... A decent one. Plenty of shit land to put one. God knows we don't need another fucking giant industrial park with both a Bunnings and Masters in it.
Fuck I'm pissed after a day at the appin dust bowl that is Sydney's premier mx track! Haha
11/25/2014 4:17am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2015 4:09am
Jrewing
11/25/2014 1:08pm
Nah that's an oversized go kart track/driver training. All Tarmac.
Land around it would be great seeing there's an airport going in soon enough...except even shit land costs millions in the hope it'll be rezoned for housing.
Fellas, when/if a economic crash comes again I'm buying land and putting a track on it out that way.
jock
Fantasy
1st
11/25/2014 1:25pm
Tony922 wrote:
Manjimup, wa, is just so bloody far away for so many Aussies to get to. Connondale is a bigger venue but probably too far away from...
Manjimup, wa, is just so bloody far away for so many Aussies to get to. Connondale is a bigger venue but probably too far away from hotels etc that the shiney arses would want to stay in. Coolum is close to civilisation but is flat and boring to watch.
Even though I'm a queenslander, probably down near Sydney would be the most practical to get the crowds and tick the corporate boxes. Just need to build a decent track......
What about Echo Valley in Toowoomba? I agree with you about Sydney though, more central for everyone.
I went the MotoGP at the Island a few years ago, cost $2500 just for airfares and accommodation. Sad
11/25/2014 4:18pm Edited Date/Time 4/3/2015 4:09am
Tony922 wrote:
Manjimup, wa, is just so bloody far away for so many Aussies to get to. Connondale is a bigger venue but probably too far away from...
jock wrote:
What about Echo Valley in Toowoomba? I agree with you about Sydney though, more central for everyone. I went the MotoGP at the Island a few...
What about Echo Valley in Toowoomba? I agree with you about Sydney though, more central for everyone.
I went the MotoGP at the Island a few years ago, cost $2500 just for airfares and accommodation. Sad
41NDT
11/25/2014 4:30pm
Whitey wrote:
to far
41NDT
11/25/2014 4:32pm
connondale or coonabarabran both gp worthy
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
11/25/2014 7:22pm
Coonabarabran as a track for sure, as a location no way in the world!

That place really is in the middle of no where. Great track, good facilities.

Murray Bridge in South Aus is the place Wink . An hour from Adelaide airport 40-50 minutes from the City, plenty of Euro style country towns within 10-15 minutes of the track.

Big wide open track with plenty of spectator viewing.

No elevation changes, but not every MX track needs elevation changes.

Great soil with half the track loam/sand base, with the other half a red clay base.

Bring it to South Australia, not that I am biased in anyway!
Stoop
Fantasy
912th
11/25/2014 8:00pm
#991 wrote:
my vote goes to Barrabool aswell
Bearuno
11/25/2014 9:27pm Edited Date/Time 11/25/2014 9:32pm
Barabool / Macadams Park is / was something special:

Manijimup : I've been there many times over quite a few decades. It seems to have lost something over the years. Nonetheless, a good track. Plenty of good tracks here in OZ - but so many are in bum fuck nowhere. The curse of a massive country.

Williams is a promoter - he'll take a GP to wherever he can get the most money, from whichever state / local government that he can con....oops, persuade into giving him / Luongo money. Perfectly understandable - hell, I'd do the same if I were of that breed.

Murray Bridge is a track that I recall , from a long time ago (it's quite a few years since I travelled all over OZ for MX / Motorcycle racing in general), as being very, very good.

Broadford will probably be the one - well, unless the state government remembers the money they sunk into it before. MA - Motorcycling Australia - basically owning it, almost ensures it going there, if the Vic gov. will chip in.

OK, I'm biased, but something like a GP, at Eastern Creek in Sydney, could be of the most use for the sport of MX as a whole, here in OZ. There have been numerous 'noises' made over many years, of having a Dirt Bike Park at Eastern Creek. Hell, the impact on the sport of having a Dirt Bike complex in the middle of the largest city in OZ, would be of enormous benefit to the sport. But, (I think) the ARDC / the Drag Driver with the Dragstrip have been the big winners from a track / area designation that came from an initially Motorcycle driven project / venue. There's quite a lot of room there, what with it being in the usual 'power line corridor' - hell, around the world motorsports venues are so often dumped amongst powerlines, it's a miracle we all don't have 2 heads - so another, rare investment in a legitimate sport by the government could perhaps be obtained by having a major event.

Heck, even a track built right at / on the circuit could be a hell of a thing - there's quite a hill smack in the middle of Eastern Creek Roadrace track, and plenty of viewing room to be had - though, not really on the main straight / grandstand section. Over the other side of the hill, basically. A track going across the road circuit a couple of times, could be a good circuit. It would be a real MX track, and not a farce like a few of the ones there have been 'plonked' into Road Race venues in Europe and now, with Nevada, in the US.
JB479
11/25/2014 11:17pm Edited Date/Time 11/25/2014 11:17pm
Tony922 wrote:
jock wrote:
What about Echo Valley in Toowoomba? I agree with you about Sydney though, more central for everyone. I went the MotoGP at the Island a few...
Echo Valley would be our best option in terms of the track layout. I just don't know about the Pits being big enough…

Definitely not Coolum, its too small of a sand track compared to what the Euro's are use too.

We don't have any tracks that compare too Euro/American tracks.

Maybe Queensland Moto Park? They would have the funding to build a big track, as you Pay $50 per person to ride there. TongueTongue

Post a reply to: Potential Australian GP

The Latest