Post-race Adrenaline Hangovers and Old Age

mark_swart
I know I can't be the only one this happens to.... the day after a race, I generally feel like I have been run over by a bus. Not physical soreness so much (although that is part of it), but sort of the empty feeling in my head of the adrenaline hangover.

In my case, it seems to get worse with age (I'm 45), and one of the reasons that I generally choose Saturday races over Sundays whenever it is an option.

Does anyone else notice this, or has anyone found any good solutions (legal ones of course) to lessen the effects?
|
NorCal 50+
12/11/2017 10:51am
That's the best part of racing, bro! Even if it sucks at the time, it's always satisfying to reflect on.
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
12/11/2017 11:34am
57 years old and never felt that before,good thing your not doing middle of the week night races like we did back in the day.
rockyuno
12/11/2017 11:41am
30 years old, and that feeling started to show the last races.
is a feeling like there's no fuel inside the body, and the necessity to eat a lot

The Shop

Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
12/11/2017 11:43am Edited Date/Time 12/11/2017 11:47am
Mark,

I get this now too after long day of moto riding.. I'm 42.. I stay hydrated and eat enough fuel. Google "exercise headaches". Mine comes on pretty strong couple hours afterward, more like a migraine and fuzziness. No solution except to pop a couple ibuprofen before it comes on.
hyler199
12/11/2017 11:48am
maybe try goproing your races so you can watch a lil clip here and there. I tend to gopro every time I ride. I then watch little bits here and there or post them on youtube.
Always looks slower on camera unfortunately haha
TimR
12/11/2017 12:26pm
I get this too sometimes and im 29. Always couple of hours after a long day of motos. Sometimes I can even feel it coming slowly as I drive home.
Ryno23
Fantasy
891st
12/11/2017 12:32pm
I am 41. I did an arenacross this weekend and feel like I got run over. But... I did have a first turn crash in the heat race where I may or may not have actually been run over. We will see if the bruises look like knobby marks. LOL!

I did finish in the top 5 of the Vet main but dang, that little crash took the wind out of my sails Saturday night! I contribute that to old age for sure. And all those pesky 30 year old kids on the line!
Prejump
12/11/2017 1:18pm
mark_swart wrote:
I know I can't be the only one this happens to.... the day after a race, I generally feel like I have been run over by...
I know I can't be the only one this happens to.... the day after a race, I generally feel like I have been run over by a bus. Not physical soreness so much (although that is part of it), but sort of the empty feeling in my head of the adrenaline hangover.

In my case, it seems to get worse with age (I'm 45), and one of the reasons that I generally choose Saturday races over Sundays whenever it is an option.

Does anyone else notice this, or has anyone found any good solutions (legal ones of course) to lessen the effects?
It's most likely a dopamine withdrawal your feeling.

Personally for the most part I don't think adrenaline is the biggest factor in MX. To ride well you need to be in control, focused, calm. Yes first time you hit a big jump you may get a shot of adrenaline. But if you really consider the bodies adrenaline response there's no way we would be any good if you spent the whole time in fight or flight mode.

The reason you love motocross is because it gives you a high, a reward feeling. Lot's of other athletes experience the same reward buzz. Google runners high for example.

It's the dopamine hit your missing, which is why your always go back for more.

mark_swart
12/11/2017 1:55pm
Prejump wrote:
It's most likely a dopamine withdrawal your feeling. Personally for the most part I don't think adrenaline is the biggest factor in MX. To ride well...
It's most likely a dopamine withdrawal your feeling.

Personally for the most part I don't think adrenaline is the biggest factor in MX. To ride well you need to be in control, focused, calm. Yes first time you hit a big jump you may get a shot of adrenaline. But if you really consider the bodies adrenaline response there's no way we would be any good if you spent the whole time in fight or flight mode.

The reason you love motocross is because it gives you a high, a reward feeling. Lot's of other athletes experience the same reward buzz. Google runners high for example.

It's the dopamine hit your missing, which is why your always go back for more.

That makes sense, and you are right, I think moto stirs up a cocktail of different chemicals in us. I have done quite a bit of running, and know what the runner's high is like too, but what I get from moto is definitely on a different level. I was trying to explain this to a running friend a while back... if a runner's high is like beer, moto is like vodka!

Your point about reward feelings really hits the nail on the head... could it be that I don't find my normal office work on Monday morning "quite" as exciting as a day of moto?!? It probably makes the hangover quite a bit more noticeable.
Prejump
12/11/2017 2:37pm
mark_swart wrote:
That makes sense, and you are right, I think moto stirs up a cocktail of different chemicals in us. I have done quite a bit of...
That makes sense, and you are right, I think moto stirs up a cocktail of different chemicals in us. I have done quite a bit of running, and know what the runner's high is like too, but what I get from moto is definitely on a different level. I was trying to explain this to a running friend a while back... if a runner's high is like beer, moto is like vodka!

Your point about reward feelings really hits the nail on the head... could it be that I don't find my normal office work on Monday morning "quite" as exciting as a day of moto?!? It probably makes the hangover quite a bit more noticeable.
Yes it's pretty big contrast Sunday to Monday when you ride MX.

It's ultimately our caveman wiring still in effect. These chemicals are why mankind survived & evolved.

I think just being aware of it will help.

As you were/are a runner, if your not too tired from your days riding, you could try to run too & from work, of have a pre breakfast run. That will release some extra endorphin's.

Swimming is also great I find.
12/11/2017 5:19pm
After the races my adrenaline's going so much I have to drink just so I can go to sleep and I celebrate that I didn't kill myself so I naturally have a hangover usually the next day, 50int,
144rider
12/11/2017 6:34pm
As soon as I get the bike on the trailer I head straight to Macca's, Must be the oil and sugar hit.

As a cure for Monday morning hangovers, I retired, works wonders, because working sucks. My Mondays are spent cleaning my bike and gear, followed by an afternoon kip on the sofa. I'm 46.
Jrewing
12/11/2017 7:32pm
144rider wrote:
As soon as I get the bike on the trailer I head straight to Macca's, Must be the oil and sugar hit. As a cure for...
As soon as I get the bike on the trailer I head straight to Macca's, Must be the oil and sugar hit.

As a cure for Monday morning hangovers, I retired, works wonders, because working sucks. My Mondays are spent cleaning my bike and gear, followed by an afternoon kip on the sofa. I'm 46.
Maccas frozen Cokes ftw!
mark_swart
12/11/2017 10:44pm
144rider wrote:
As soon as I get the bike on the trailer I head straight to Macca's, Must be the oil and sugar hit. As a cure for...

Haha, yep, I also track straight for the nearest burger joint as soon as I leave the track!

I love the retirement idea. I think I'll need a pretty good sponsor for that haha!
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
12/11/2017 11:23pm
I know what it is, and how to avoid it.

The biggest downfall in our sport is EXHAUST!

After riding on a track for an hour or 3, your body is full of exhaust fumes, down into your cells.
What you're feeling the next day is your body filtering it out.

Even though this is not a chemical mask, I've found that wearing one of these while riding filters out enough of the exhaust that I no longer have the day after riding hangover.

I heard it said that Andrew Short was wearing one of these for a while. I have no idea whether it's true or not.

What I do know is that how I feel the next day is a night and day difference when I wear one of these.

Try it once, and let me know what you think.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-N95-Woodworking-and-Sanding-Painted-Surf…
skypig
12/12/2017 4:09am
I get all depressed if I haven’t raced for too long. I think it’s a blocked adrenaline gland.
Of course, I’m old and slow. (And far from fit enough for MX). I’m physically beat up after a race, but feeling high for weeks after.
I just worked it out. I’m 54yo. That doesn’t seem right.
YZ324
12/12/2017 4:16am
Couple of weeks ago I felt this way after a race. Had to load the camper and just had no energy or strength. Thought it might have been dehydration. After drinking water and a good meal the next day I felt a little fatigued but not bad.
Brent
12/12/2017 9:47am Edited Date/Time 12/12/2017 9:48am
neverwas wrote:
57 years old and never felt that before,good thing your not doing middle of the week night races like we did back in the day.
Yeah no shit, wed nites at speedway 117 and Friday at ascot or OCIR were easy for me at 21, but would kick my ass now.
I wish I got those adrenaline rushes still, I ride and race twice a week and it feels like a job to me lately...
Rohr144
12/12/2017 10:10am
I know exactly what you're feeling. I didn't start riding motocross until I was 18, but I had wanted to ride my whole life. It's all I thought about after first riding a buddies dirt bike when I was 15 I believe. But after my very first day at a track when I was 18 years old, I felt completely empty and depressed, as if I didn't have a purpose anymore. I'm 21 now and have rode for many, many weekends since I was 18. I still get that depression feeling the day after every now and then. But to replace the feeling, I like to go mountain biking as well. Definitely not a replacement, but it works. Also, I get a very good feeling just from taking care of my gear or my bike. Greasing bearings, oil changes, cleaning air filters, washing the bike, it gets me through the week. I also watch alot of gopro videos on youtube and edit and upload some of my own, just to keep myself busy and not get to the point where the boredom and lack of dopamine turns into depression.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
12/12/2017 10:43am
I’ve noticed I don’t get that day after malaise if I’m doing ketogenic dieting. To me that suggests it’s a hormonal issue, be it cortisol, adrenaline or something else. I used to get it really bad, but it went away with some keto.

Another issue may be alcohol. If you’re regularly drinking too much you might be messing with your dopamine and blood sugar levels. If you drink all week and then hold off the night before a big race, you may put a load on your system that your body has to handle without alcohol propping up your blood sugar and dopamine levels. Or conversely you might be drinking too much after a race.

Either way, pick a good diet, stop drinking and see how you feel in a few weeks. Most of the things people complain about as getting old aren’t just age, but getting fat, not sleeping enough, and the aggregate effect of years of bad habits.
The Candyman
12/12/2017 12:23pm
^ I'm in Keto and autogaphy right now!

Working out used to help me the most. Try taking a spin class and pretend it's a moto, you'll feel great afterwards. Other things that helped are golf, bowling, pool, darts and even a movie night, all more for the mind and are fun/cheap.
mark_swart
12/12/2017 12:47pm
I’ve noticed I don’t get that day after malaise if I’m doing ketogenic dieting. To me that suggests it’s a hormonal issue, be it cortisol, adrenaline...
I’ve noticed I don’t get that day after malaise if I’m doing ketogenic dieting. To me that suggests it’s a hormonal issue, be it cortisol, adrenaline or something else. I used to get it really bad, but it went away with some keto.

Another issue may be alcohol. If you’re regularly drinking too much you might be messing with your dopamine and blood sugar levels. If you drink all week and then hold off the night before a big race, you may put a load on your system that your body has to handle without alcohol propping up your blood sugar and dopamine levels. Or conversely you might be drinking too much after a race.

Either way, pick a good diet, stop drinking and see how you feel in a few weeks. Most of the things people complain about as getting old aren’t just age, but getting fat, not sleeping enough, and the aggregate effect of years of bad habits.
Thanks for all of that - I could see drinking being a factor so that is something I will look at. My usual recovery food is that big cheeseburger, but there are probably much better things I could be doing too.

Post a reply to: Post-race Adrenaline Hangovers and Old Age

The Latest