Post concussion issues

lumpy790
11/11/2018 9:02am
bdoza10 wrote:
https://youtu.be/_BTNmNpoAro Dale Earhart jr wrote an entire book on his experience with concussions and how he’s been treating his post concussion symptoms with therapy. Also the...
https://youtu.be/_BTNmNpoAro

Dale Earhart jr wrote an entire book on his experience with concussions and how he’s been treating his post concussion symptoms with therapy. Also the full interview is amazing if you have the time, but he does go over some exercises he still does to help with his past Brain trauma

Concussion talk starts at 40:30 I’m trying to figure out how to get it to autostart there
Thank you for posting this!

Watched about 40 min and Dale tells it like it is and what he has been through.

How many of our MX/SX athletes are plagued with this but we never know and that is why performances take the hit or careers ?
MotoGuido
11/11/2018 10:35pm
I hope you get it figured out man. I've been dealing with similar chronic symptoms for 19 years now..

rongi#401
11/11/2018 11:31pm
Some of my worst symptoms have come from hits to the head that you wouldn't put much thought into, and some of the worst knock outs I've had were the least severe recovery wise, so don't use the old school scale on how severe it is. If you feel different, than its a bad one

The Shop

chump6784
11/11/2018 11:44pm
Interesting reading Pastrana's comments about alcohol. Since my last concussion if I have just 1 beer i start feeling it, 2 or 3 and I'm flying. I gave up drinking for about 2 months and then had 5 or 6 beers and a couple cans of whiskey and dry the other night and I was trashed. Next morning I felt like absolute shit
WW444
11/12/2018 8:04am
I took a pretty good digger back in April 16. I separated my a/c joint in my right shoulder grade 3 and broke a couple of ribs. I swapped out going through some rollers and I went over the bars somehow and slammed into the hard pack hill on the side of the track and kinked me up pretty good. I saw a jagged broken line in my vision right after it happened. Er cat scanned me & everything. They said no concussion but I rung my bell pretty hard. Anyways, I experienced the jagged line/oracles in my vision come and go about 6 times throughout a month or 2 after my crash. It freaked me out every time because it would start out as a small spot then grow into a big C shape in the left side of my vision then it would move up and out of the left corner of my vision. I had an MRI and eye exam done and everything came back clear. They chalked it up to opthomal migraines. Those went away after a couple of weeks and things were looking better and after about 3 months.. One day I just randomly just started feeling weird & dizzy. I went back to my primary & he sent me to an ENT, no crystals showed loose or fluid. They did a inner ear response test which they blow hot and cold air in your ear while wearing a camera on your eyes to see how quick it takes you to get dizzy. It was awful. I felt so sick after. My right ear tested at 30% compared to my left. But they said that cant make me dizzy or have my problems? Next step is a Neurologist. He has me try several kinds of migraine medicines to treat it as a headache. Nothing helped. We did another MRI since this had started since my last mri and nothing showed up. I barely made it through that mri without hitting the panic button and I do not know why I can not handle certain things like that now. Over the past 2 years this condition has caused different symptoms, which I believe now is some form of anxiety. I will feel just weird. So hard to describe it. Heavy headed just at unease. I'm even having troubles driving. I just start feeling weird and my head starts getting heavy. Its not the anxiety where my heart starts racing and I cant breathe. Its a completely different form I guess. The crazy part about my situation is I will everynow and then go about a month of feeling rather normal(although I may just be used to it by now) then it fires back up. No rime or reason. My primary is at a point where he doesn't know what to do. He had me try liquid Zoloft to see if it would help any and I took it before bed one night and woke up dizzy as hell, jittery,shaking, cold, felt like shit. The side effects were terrible and I haven't touched the stuff since. That was a month ago. I'm just wondering if any of you have or are feeling this way? I have no clue if this is even related to my crash since it started about 5 months after. But I am sick and tired of feeling like this, I sometimes feel like I am the only person in the world that feels like this. It doesnt compare to how everyone else describes post concussion symptoms. Not exactly related but I also have heavy floaters in my vision. dark spots & circles. I have had these far before my crash though. Sorry for the novel rant but I just wanted to put my situation out there and see if any can relate or help.
EddieC
11/12/2018 10:23am
Ever since I got cut from the Alpinestars Medical Team because budget issues regarding the CONCUSSION PROGRAM I decided to take a step back from the moto scene. Checking in on Vital and talking to some of my close moto friends from time to time, because lets be honest one can never fully get out of moto.

So why post now?

Because concussions are a serious issue that we are just barley starting to understand and actually make advances in the identification, classification and treatment.

Because I believe the Action Sports Industry is about to start seeing the ramifications of its choices regarding this injury. With the deaths of some very high profile athletes in the past couple years due to suicide and as the result of some decisions that we can now say could quite possibly be related to previous concussions. My question is who will be next?

Just last week I was referred an athlete by another athlete because of the severity of a crash and age of athlete. I talked to the mother of the racer who was knocked out at this race and she stated how she was "VERY" concerned about her child's health and wanted to know what steps to take before racing again. I put VERY in quotes because after talking to this mother about the return to ride protocol and the possibility that her child might not be able to race the following weekend she began with what I have been accustomed to hearing from 95% of parents in this situation.
"I know my child and they don't have a concussion" "I know my child and they will be ok" "My child is faking" "MRI's and CT scan were negative" "my child just needs a couple days rest" "my child is battling for a factory ride" "my child is leading the championship".

The idea that riders know moto is dangerous and that they willingly accept the consequences is BULLSHIT!!
Yes there is inherent danger in riding and racing a dirt bike but that doesn't mean as parents, sponsors, team managers and promoters it voids us of the responsibility to research, educate and provide the necessary means to help injured riders.

There are a lot of helpful comments being posted but which ones do we know help and which ones are bogus? Does the advice of a top athlete trump a parent or doctor?
The answer is we don't know.
Unlike other sports organizations like NFL, MLB, NHL the MX & SX organizations do not have an entity that provides guidelines, recommendations, assistance in the prevention, management and treatment of concussions.

If the Action Sports and MOTO INDUSTRY continue to turn a blind eye to this injury how many more Tyler Evans, Marty Moates, Brian Swinks, Dave Mirras will we read about?

fourfourone
11/12/2018 12:01pm Edited Date/Time 11/12/2018 12:09pm
WW444 wrote:
I took a pretty good digger back in April 16. I separated my a/c joint in my right shoulder grade 3 and broke a couple of...
I took a pretty good digger back in April 16. I separated my a/c joint in my right shoulder grade 3 and broke a couple of ribs. I swapped out going through some rollers and I went over the bars somehow and slammed into the hard pack hill on the side of the track and kinked me up pretty good. I saw a jagged broken line in my vision right after it happened. Er cat scanned me & everything. They said no concussion but I rung my bell pretty hard. Anyways, I experienced the jagged line/oracles in my vision come and go about 6 times throughout a month or 2 after my crash. It freaked me out every time because it would start out as a small spot then grow into a big C shape in the left side of my vision then it would move up and out of the left corner of my vision. I had an MRI and eye exam done and everything came back clear. They chalked it up to opthomal migraines. Those went away after a couple of weeks and things were looking better and after about 3 months.. One day I just randomly just started feeling weird & dizzy. I went back to my primary & he sent me to an ENT, no crystals showed loose or fluid. They did a inner ear response test which they blow hot and cold air in your ear while wearing a camera on your eyes to see how quick it takes you to get dizzy. It was awful. I felt so sick after. My right ear tested at 30% compared to my left. But they said that cant make me dizzy or have my problems? Next step is a Neurologist. He has me try several kinds of migraine medicines to treat it as a headache. Nothing helped. We did another MRI since this had started since my last mri and nothing showed up. I barely made it through that mri without hitting the panic button and I do not know why I can not handle certain things like that now. Over the past 2 years this condition has caused different symptoms, which I believe now is some form of anxiety. I will feel just weird. So hard to describe it. Heavy headed just at unease. I'm even having troubles driving. I just start feeling weird and my head starts getting heavy. Its not the anxiety where my heart starts racing and I cant breathe. Its a completely different form I guess. The crazy part about my situation is I will everynow and then go about a month of feeling rather normal(although I may just be used to it by now) then it fires back up. No rime or reason. My primary is at a point where he doesn't know what to do. He had me try liquid Zoloft to see if it would help any and I took it before bed one night and woke up dizzy as hell, jittery,shaking, cold, felt like shit. The side effects were terrible and I haven't touched the stuff since. That was a month ago. I'm just wondering if any of you have or are feeling this way? I have no clue if this is even related to my crash since it started about 5 months after. But I am sick and tired of feeling like this, I sometimes feel like I am the only person in the world that feels like this. It doesnt compare to how everyone else describes post concussion symptoms. Not exactly related but I also have heavy floaters in my vision. dark spots & circles. I have had these far before my crash though. Sorry for the novel rant but I just wanted to put my situation out there and see if any can relate or help.
I have the same vision issue. My doctors call is Migraine with Aura. My aura happens before I get the migraine pain. Small flashy/spark like dot that turns into a C and gets bigger and bigger until its gone. Last about 15-30 mins. Ive had migraines all my life but never any visual issues. My doctors tell me its almost 100% anxiety and stress caused.

Just like you I have normal days and some days I feel uneasy and anxious. Drinking on the weekends makes it worse. I also found that exercising a lot helps. I refuse to go on any sort of anti depressant

Sometimes ill go 2-3 months without a migraine or aura. Sometimes I get them 2-3 times in a month. Ive also gotten them back to beck. Knowing how my brain is, many doctors say the migraine can spawn from extreme highs and lows in how you feel. Someone like me I get very excited and stressed easy, and then when its over I calm way down and relax. Going for extremely high stress then going all the way down to relax can cause migraines.

I also get floaters too. Part of the anxiety and depression will also cause you to be laser focused on your issues. So you will notice floaters or vision issues way more frequently and they will seem way worse then they are.

I feel your pain, it sucks. I only feel my normal self about 60% of the time.
11/13/2018 10:04am
EddieC wrote:
Ever since I got cut from the Alpinestars Medical Team because budget issues regarding the CONCUSSION PROGRAM I decided to take a step back from the...
Ever since I got cut from the Alpinestars Medical Team because budget issues regarding the CONCUSSION PROGRAM I decided to take a step back from the moto scene. Checking in on Vital and talking to some of my close moto friends from time to time, because lets be honest one can never fully get out of moto.

So why post now?

Because concussions are a serious issue that we are just barley starting to understand and actually make advances in the identification, classification and treatment.

Because I believe the Action Sports Industry is about to start seeing the ramifications of its choices regarding this injury. With the deaths of some very high profile athletes in the past couple years due to suicide and as the result of some decisions that we can now say could quite possibly be related to previous concussions. My question is who will be next?

Just last week I was referred an athlete by another athlete because of the severity of a crash and age of athlete. I talked to the mother of the racer who was knocked out at this race and she stated how she was "VERY" concerned about her child's health and wanted to know what steps to take before racing again. I put VERY in quotes because after talking to this mother about the return to ride protocol and the possibility that her child might not be able to race the following weekend she began with what I have been accustomed to hearing from 95% of parents in this situation.
"I know my child and they don't have a concussion" "I know my child and they will be ok" "My child is faking" "MRI's and CT scan were negative" "my child just needs a couple days rest" "my child is battling for a factory ride" "my child is leading the championship".

The idea that riders know moto is dangerous and that they willingly accept the consequences is BULLSHIT!!
Yes there is inherent danger in riding and racing a dirt bike but that doesn't mean as parents, sponsors, team managers and promoters it voids us of the responsibility to research, educate and provide the necessary means to help injured riders.

There are a lot of helpful comments being posted but which ones do we know help and which ones are bogus? Does the advice of a top athlete trump a parent or doctor?
The answer is we don't know.
Unlike other sports organizations like NFL, MLB, NHL the MX & SX organizations do not have an entity that provides guidelines, recommendations, assistance in the prevention, management and treatment of concussions.

If the Action Sports and MOTO INDUSTRY continue to turn a blind eye to this injury how many more Tyler Evans, Marty Moates, Brian Swinks, Dave Mirras will we read about?

Eddie,

What you said about the parent of the athlete who was referred to you is all too normal. Athletes with a brain issues often dismiss or deny symptoms because they are not in their right mind due to the injury. I think parents, sponsors and team managers all need to take more responsibility when protecting these athletes.

Also I am finishing up TMS treatment myself, hoping it will jumpstart my damaged neuropathways. So far so good, it’s been life saving for me! What do you think about TMS for guys like Evans, Swink, Moats and many others?

Keep up the good fight!

Post a reply to: Post concussion issues

The Latest