Post ACL Surgery New Braces

Edited Date/Time 1/5/2018 5:49pm
Hey Guys,

I just had ACL surgery one week ago-- Yes, I'm in pain nor can I walk.

I need some advice on to what kind of knee braces you thought were the best?

Are each of them great for post surgery, or are their specified ones for pre-injured acls. (probably not just asking)

I would like a pair to be under $1,000.00 if possible.

Thoughts/Opinions on which ones you use?

PS I have chicken legs, ones that fit smaller legs might be a plus for me too.

Thanks!
|
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
1/4/2018 7:51pm
I have CTI2’s, but I’ve felt my surgically repaired (twice) ACL strain when my leg gets ripped back. Asterisk has a system that straps to your boot so if you leg does get ripped back, your knee isn’t the pivot point. I will probably get a pair of those for my next set.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
1/4/2018 7:56pm
I prefer by far CTI. I have had several pair including both custom fit and the Edge model that is just sized. I like the Edge, if it is a choice for your insurance option, it is not a bad choice, even if it is not custom fit. You can have a therapist go through and really get it fitted good for you. I prefer it over any of the other off the shelf brands I've tried. I like the customs fitting braces the best but I will go one step farther than that. I have had a pair fitted by measurements and I thought it was great. But the best pair I ever had was when they took a plaster cast of my legs, sent the cast to CTI as a mold and they sent the braces back truly custom fitted to me. By far the best fitting best function braces I've ever had. If you can talk your therapists into fitting them with a plaster mold, I highly recommend it.
mxbrian15
1/5/2018 4:14am
DonJoy Defiance Custom is my go to. You don't even notice them. I also like the PODs for the money. They are a great off the shelf brace.

The Shop

EV901
1/5/2018 5:10am
Good luck with the recovery! I'm also 3 weeks post ACl op and have the same desicion to make. Most likely gonna go with the CTI pre-sized ones, since I'm only 20 and don't want to get the custom ones yet. Estonian health care would only take care about 1/4 of the price also, even after surgery.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
1/5/2018 5:21am
Mobius braces are awesome. Love the full coverage and the ability to tighten the fit through your pants. Awesome customer service.

eilers434
1/5/2018 8:44am
I have had ACL surgery on my right knee twice. I have a donjoy knee brace that i love, but hate it when i'm riding. I got a set of the POD braces because they are designed exactly the same design as my custom donjoy brace. I absolutely love the POD braces and for under 700 they are a heck of a lot better than spending well over 1000 for customer braces. The pod braces also come with different inserts for more custom fit. I went from asterisk to pod and will never go back.
mtl
1/5/2018 9:59am
I've worn different off the shelf braces and have had both of my ACL's fixed. Right now, I'm a believer in the Mobius as I can get them to be nice and tight.

If you have small legs, you may want to try on a few different offerings to check fitment.
ab
1/5/2018 2:27pm
I have right leg repaired acl and on the left I have a ripped acl and a meniscus tear. My left knee is so week I jumped from my tailgate of my normal height truck and it buckled leaving me 1 week with no walking this happened 1 month ago. I have 2 off the shelf cti 2 braces that my insurance paid for. I went snowboarding 1 week ago with my cti knee braces and I was able to hit rails do a tantrum and even land the 25 foot gap without my left knee buckling. My girlfriend thought I was a dumbass because she saw how easy my knee buckled but hey with those ctis I felt like I had 2 brand new knees no lie. Make sure when you get them you put them on correctly tho they can get easily put on the wrong height.
Highsider
1/5/2018 2:32pm
Get a prescription for patient-custom CTi braces.
I had one pair for 15 years and just put some new cups and straps on my 10-year old pair.
Very pleased.
rosebud441
1/5/2018 3:25pm
ab wrote:
I have right leg repaired acl and on the left I have a ripped acl and a meniscus tear. My left knee is so week I...
I have right leg repaired acl and on the left I have a ripped acl and a meniscus tear. My left knee is so week I jumped from my tailgate of my normal height truck and it buckled leaving me 1 week with no walking this happened 1 month ago. I have 2 off the shelf cti 2 braces that my insurance paid for. I went snowboarding 1 week ago with my cti knee braces and I was able to hit rails do a tantrum and even land the 25 foot gap without my left knee buckling. My girlfriend thought I was a dumbass because she saw how easy my knee buckled but hey with those ctis I felt like I had 2 brand new knees no lie. Make sure when you get them you put them on correctly tho they can get easily put on the wrong height.
As a snowboarder that's encouraging to hear..

I had my Acl replaced 25 years ago only to find out that it has come un-attached and i currently have NO Acl in my left knee... Yes, i have insurance provided braces, but they are getting old and thrashed not to mention my legs aren't the same shape they once were.. Having said that, i live a fairly normal life.. riding, sliding etc. BUT it is time for new braces and my insurance sucks sooo bad i will be footing the bill... Lots o good info in this here thread!!
1/5/2018 5:36pm
Highsider wrote:
Get a prescription for patient-custom CTi braces. I had one pair for 15 years and just put some new cups and straps on my 10-year old...
I had one pair for 15 years and just put some new cups and straps on my 10-year old pair.
Very pleased.
How do I talk my therapist into this? Or do they typically just do so?
1/5/2018 5:46pm
Highsider wrote:
Get a prescription for patient-custom CTi braces. I had one pair for 15 years and just put some new cups and straps on my 10-year old...
Very pleased.
How do I talk my therapist into this? Or do they typically just do so?
Ask your doctor, most will write the script.
1/5/2018 5:49pm
I tore my right Acl and had it fixed in 2014, no braces on after a crash.
Tore left knee Acl sept last year with Troy Lee designs catalyst braces on, didn’t even crash. Just jammed it in a corner.
I thought my knees were indestructible with the braces on, I was wrong.

Post a reply to: Post ACL Surgery New Braces

The Latest