Possibly my last KTM-Things are looking better though!

Related:
Create New Tag

7/4/2018 6:03 AM

Super bummed to have discovered this crack in the cases. It's where the swing arm bolt goes through. 2017 250 XC-W. 25 hours. Gently used. Bike hasn't even fallen over. I've owned it less than 10 months since new. I fear in the quest for the lightest bikes, the design and quality is suffering. I called the dealer I purchased it from and they suggested KTM may do a goodwill warranty. I've left two voicemails with KTM Canada in the past two weeks and haven't even got a call back. That is rotten customer service. Any suggestions?

Photo

|

7/4/2018 6:16 AM

Go green

|

7/4/2018 6:19 AM

BobPA, clean up in aisle KTM!

|

7/4/2018 6:19 AM

I fear in the quest for the lightest bikes, the design and quality is suffering. EXACTLY. Orange is good for drink, but not for..

|

18 Yamaha YZ450F
94 Honda CR 500
90 Honda CR 500
81 Yamaha SR 500
68 BSA Thunderbolt
69 Triumph Tiger 100

7/4/2018 6:22 AM

Nothing, especially mass produced, is perfect. The worst part of this story so far is the lack of response.
My money is on a faulty casting, or loose swingarm (faulty bearings?)

If 1 in 100000 fail, and are fixed by KTM, I’d think that was ok.

|

7/4/2018 6:47 AM

Did your dealer file a claim for you? He be the person to get the quickest response ,it can easily take up to 2 weeks for KTM to call you back that's why the dealer is usually the best line to get things started. I would say they're definitely going to cover this for you but you need to get the ball rolling and don't shoot yourself in the foot by losing your temper.

|

7/4/2018 7:18 AM

RCF wrote:

Did your dealer file a claim for you? He be the person to get the quickest response ,it can easily take up to 2 weeks for KTM ...more

I've been as cool as a cucumber with both the dealer and my voicemails to KTM Canada. My dealer did not file a claim (I went to them first) They said they couldn't do anything and that I needed to contact KTM directly. maybe I should go back to them and explain what's going on.

|

7/4/2018 7:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/4/2018 7:29 AM

Unless things are different in Canada they are lying to you ,they have to file a claim through the KTM claim service and submit photos of the problem , sounds like you just have a bad dealer even with you calling them (ktm) they're going to tell you to return to the dealer to have this done.

|

7/4/2018 7:36 AM

RCF wrote:

Unless things are different in Canada they are lying to you ,they have to file a claim through the KTM claim service and ...more

This is correct. Things are not different in Canada. Your dealer should be looking after this for you - and it's a little concerning that they're not.

|

Current rides: 2021 TM 144, 2008 YZ250

7/4/2018 7:49 AM

RCF wrote:

Unless things are different in Canada they are lying to you ,they have to file a claim through the KTM claim service and ...more

That's how it's done.
That's how my 16.5 frame got dealt with, it took about a week after my dealer submitted the info and pics.

|

7/4/2018 8:03 AM

You will need to go to your dealer and they will start a warranty claim. They are probably not wanting to get involved because it take’s KTM forever to repay the dealer for all the time and parts that KTM bills them for to fix the warranty problem!! This is becoming a common issue and quality it dropping forsure!

|

7/4/2018 8:17 AM

Paging Squirrlings.

|

7/4/2018 8:31 AM

Excaliburbmx wrote:

Go green

What he said ^^^^

|

7/4/2018 8:33 AM

RCF wrote:

Did your dealer file a claim for you? He be the person to get the quickest response ,it can easily take up to 2 weeks for KTM ...more

Steadman wrote:

I've been as cool as a cucumber with both the dealer and my voicemails to KTM Canada. My dealer did not file a claim (I went ...more

This is why people dealing with Dealers

|

7/4/2018 8:39 AM

X2 for the green bikes.

|

7/4/2018 8:58 AM

Excaliburbmx wrote:

Go green

kkawboy14 wrote:

What he said ^^^^

Oh yeah? Please enlighten us on what model Kawasaki produces that would compare to a XC-W?

|

7/4/2018 8:58 AM

That sucks man. Just buy a new case. Its not fun to replace but shit happens. I was pretty frustrated with my last ktm but I miss that bike because after all the work I did. It was a rocket.

I would have already bought a new case.

|

7/4/2018 9:08 AM

mx98wfo wrote:

You will need to go to your dealer and they will start a warranty claim. They are probably not wanting to get involved because ...more

You're right they probably don't want to get involved because this is going to be a full warranty and they take a beating on the labor, but that's not the Op's problem.

|

7/4/2018 9:14 AM

Have owned blue, green, yellow & red (mostly 2 T's) with minor issues in 4 decades of racing / riding. I considered orange / white KTM's last yr., but the quality just isn't up to par with the Japanese brands.

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

7/4/2018 9:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/4/2018 10:03 AM

GrapeApe wrote:

I’ve got green two strokes....swing and a miss bro.

My friend CR250 did this not long ago...my guess it a loose swing arm bolt.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

7/4/2018 9:52 AM

mx98wfo wrote:

You will need to go to your dealer and they will start a warranty claim. They are probably not wanting to get involved because ...more

RCF wrote:

You're right they probably don't want to get involved because this is going to be a full warranty and they take a beating on ...more

Labor and all the parts have to be bought buy the dealer and they are billed for it, KTM in turn sits on the money and repays dealer when timing is good for them!

|

7/4/2018 9:57 AM

H4L wrote:

Have owned blue, green, yellow & red (mostly 2 T's) with minor issues in 4 decades of racing / riding. I considered orange ...more

As my name might tell you I bleed orange, but I try to be objective and my personal opinion is that no one of the brands is better than the other one, it is just that I prefer KTM/Husky.

But could it be that KTM have more problems because they sell more? I dont know the stats in the US but if you go to a track in Sweden KTM/Husky is a majority.

I've read alot of shit about the frames on Canyon MTB-bikes as well, but considering the huge ammount of bikes they move the percent is still really really low....

|

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

7/4/2018 10:15 AM

Donovan759 wrote:

Paging Squirrlings.

I'm here, but the man who owns the motorcycle in question has said enough. tongue

|

7/4/2018 10:20 AM

GrapeApe wrote:

BobPA wrote:

I’ve got green two strokes....swing and a miss bro.

My friend CR250 did this not long ago...my guess it a loose swing arm ...more

Just because you touched a boob once doesn't mean that you aren't into dudes now. Not that there's anything wrong with you being into dudes.

|

7/4/2018 10:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/4/2018 10:29 AM

I love how these posters keep saying to buy a different bike brand “Go green” or “I only buy Japanese.”

That’s like saying “You should’ve taken up tennis” to someone who’s laying in the hospital with a broken leg from motocross. Morans

|

7/4/2018 10:30 AM

when i quit racing 15 years ago people made fun of ktm's ....

|

7/4/2018 10:33 AM

I've beaten the shit out my 2010 and it just keeps running. I wonder if they've recently changed supplier or manufacturer for the case castings.

|

21.5 350 XC-F
96' XR600r

7/4/2018 10:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/4/2018 10:40 AM

As a qualified KTM tech at a KTM Dealer, your dealer needs to do more on their end. You will need to leave the bike with them(customary for all warranty work). At that point, they can submit it to KTM for a goodwill and will likely have to submit more photos and even tear it down to find a root cause. I know I do every time it’s a warranty issue. When KTM calls you back, they will have you take it anyways.
Keep hounding KTM, but always cool with both the dealer and KTM. And keep on your dealer, we have had a couple of things like this covered!
Things like this happen, they are lightweight, high performance bikes, that are sold with NO warranty. Luckily for you, KTM has great customer service(in our experience) and will hopefully take care of it as a goodwill.

|

7/4/2018 10:41 AM

Chain was too tight.

|

7/4/2018 10:47 AM

You can probably get a good deal on a 13 hour 2018 YZ250F with a trashed head. See a couple posts below.

Sucks but at least youll get 2018 engine cases out of it.

|