Possibly moving to LA from the east coast - I need help on relocating!!!

Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
10/24/2018 5:54pm
Tarz483 wrote:
Yeah let's Hear from the Californians , that traffic must really be thinning out huh guys?
Well here is a picture from 5:37 pm today from my work commute home. ? I love where I live!

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
10/24/2018 5:57pm
Tarz483 wrote:
Yeah let's Hear from the Californians , that traffic must really be thinning out huh guys?
Myke wrote:
Well here is a picture from 5:37 pm today from my work commute home. ? I love where I live! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/10/24/298261/s1200_20181024_173704.jpg[/img]
Well here is a picture from 5:37 pm today from my work commute home. ? I love where I live!

Doesn’t count! Only time there’s traffic there is when the fair is in town Laughing
I know exactly where you’re at though
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
10/24/2018 6:07pm
Tarz483 wrote:
Myke wrote:
Well here is a picture from 5:37 pm today from my work commute home. ? I love where I live! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/10/24/298261/s1200_20181024_173704.jpg[/img]

mattyhamz2 wrote:
Doesn’t count! Only time there’s traffic there is when the fair is in town Laughing
So true! And do people here bitch about it, you would think they deal with all year.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
10/24/2018 6:52pm
Myke wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:
Myke wrote:
So true! And do people here bitch about it, you would think they deal with all year.
Lol that doesn’t surprise me one bit. I’ll tell you though, that area from California to the 126 sucks during rush hour! It’s short so it’s not so bad, but it sucks when the kids are tired after spending all day at Sea Cliff or Summerland

The Shop

Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
10/24/2018 7:24pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Myke wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Lol that doesn’t surprise me one bit. I’ll tell you though, that area from California to the 126 sucks during rush hour! It’s short so it’s...
Lol that doesn’t surprise me one bit. I’ll tell you though, that area from California to the 126 sucks during rush hour! It’s short so it’s not so bad, but it sucks when the kids are tired after spending all day at Sea Cliff or Summerland
You can always get off the Main Street exit head down Thompson and get on the 126 past the Pacific View Mall.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
10/24/2018 7:30pm
Myke wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Lol that doesn’t surprise me one bit. I’ll tell you though, that area from California to the 126 sucks during rush hour! It’s short so it’s...
Myke wrote:
You can always get off the Main Street exit head down Thompson and get on the 126 past the Pacific View Mall.
That’s usually what we do when we want to keep moving. Otherwise sitting on the 101 to 126 isn’t much slower for us. I use to do a lot of work out there and in SB when I was installing water heaters and got familiar with the area haha
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
10/24/2018 7:36pm
Culver city is a great area and it's booming. You can find a place with a garage, sounds like that area will soot your needs the best. Beach, nice area, close to DTLA, not far from riding areas and great places to eat.

When we first moved here I lived in Korea town and still found an apartment with a garage.

The Mid City area is also up and coming, select neighborhoods are nicer then others but better deals then father west.
dkg
10/24/2018 7:59pm
Orange224 wrote:
To be honest, there really isn't a budget unless it is something crazy since prices in NYC/NJ commuting area are $$$$ (not millions in my case...
To be honest, there really isn't a budget unless it is something crazy since prices in NYC/NJ commuting area are $$$$ (not millions in my case haha, although I wish this was my paycheck.. maybe one day though haha) due to my job wanting to relocate me for the company. Just looking for a semi decent commute into downtown LA and back home so I can take care of my family / ride dirt bikes on a regular basis.
Honestly, I’d look at the I.E. someplace along the I10 corridor and then take the metrolink for my commute into and out of downtown LA. This really only works well if you don’t have to regularly need a car at work.
mxnick
10/25/2018 12:05am Edited Date/Time 10/25/2018 12:06am
Orange224 wrote:
I am originally from the northeast my whole entire life (NYC, Philly, South Jersey... riding down in South Jersey is nothing like it used to be...
I am originally from the northeast my whole entire life (NYC, Philly, South Jersey... riding down in South Jersey is nothing like it used to be growing up) and the wife wants to relocate since we are both tired of the area.. to Los Angeles. Which neighborhoods should I be looking into since I want to keep my regular moto/enduro/offroad life style while working in downtown LA? I am trying to find a happy medium but keep in mind that I am only someone who has gone to LA for work (I absolutely love it) and back from NYC so I do not have much experience around the area besides commuting around from the airport. Ideally, I am trying to find a single or double (please!!!) garage set up so I can keep my dirtbike sanity. Where are the go to and do nots of LA? PS. I love to surf and fish as well. My apologies in advance for being a California newbie.
You don't say where you are commuting in and out from and where in NYC. Upton, downtown, midtown?

The biggest points you need to know about moving west are:

1. Everything is brown - say goodby to the green, leafy suburbs. Dry, parched and brown will be your new daily hue
2. Prepare to sit in traffic. The Holland Tunnel, BQE and GW Bridge have nothing on Cali traffic. If you can score a place where you have a reverse commute against the primary traffic patterns, that is the best way to run your commute...
3. Good luck finding that elusive garage!
4. The weather is exactly 1,000,000 times better than the east coast. It is actually hard to go back there after a few winters in California.

Overall, the headaches (traffic, costs, fires, etc) seem to outweigh the negatives, at least for now. Take the risk, try something new and come on out...you can always go back.

PS: long live winter riding in South Jersey!
ob
10/25/2018 7:47am
This shit is so funny. Don't some of you people understand how big California is, or even just "Southern California" ? It's totally different anywhere you go. From shitty hillbilly hickville to bad ass surf towns. Live in the IE then it could suck.
Traffic? Of course if you want to commute on a major hwy at rush hour it could be bad. Ever been to Portland, Bay Area, Seattle? It's all the same as far as traffic, actually it's worse in Portland where I moved from because the dumb hwys are two lanes. I never have traffic issues.
Prices on homes same, expensive but the pay is better, some places like where I live you don't need AC or heat so take it for what it is. You aren't riding your moto, bicycle, and getting in a surf all in the same day ANYDAY of the year ANYWHERE else. I shouldnt be saying this because it's better all the retards in the world stay wherever they are, but where I live in SD it's friggin paradise and LA also has some of the most beautiful, fun and rewarding spots also, I love most of LA.
Good luck OP I'm sure you will have a great stay if you are the active type, have a good job and have lots of time to goof off because there will always be something fun to do.
Orange224
10/25/2018 7:57am Edited Date/Time 10/25/2018 8:15am
Orange224 wrote:
I am originally from the northeast my whole entire life (NYC, Philly, South Jersey... riding down in South Jersey is nothing like it used to be...
I am originally from the northeast my whole entire life (NYC, Philly, South Jersey... riding down in South Jersey is nothing like it used to be growing up) and the wife wants to relocate since we are both tired of the area.. to Los Angeles. Which neighborhoods should I be looking into since I want to keep my regular moto/enduro/offroad life style while working in downtown LA? I am trying to find a happy medium but keep in mind that I am only someone who has gone to LA for work (I absolutely love it) and back from NYC so I do not have much experience around the area besides commuting around from the airport. Ideally, I am trying to find a single or double (please!!!) garage set up so I can keep my dirtbike sanity. Where are the go to and do nots of LA? PS. I love to surf and fish as well. My apologies in advance for being a California newbie.
mxnick wrote:
You don't say where you are commuting in and out from and where in NYC. Upton, downtown, midtown? The biggest points you need to know about...
You don't say where you are commuting in and out from and where in NYC. Upton, downtown, midtown?

The biggest points you need to know about moving west are:

1. Everything is brown - say goodby to the green, leafy suburbs. Dry, parched and brown will be your new daily hue
2. Prepare to sit in traffic. The Holland Tunnel, BQE and GW Bridge have nothing on Cali traffic. If you can score a place where you have a reverse commute against the primary traffic patterns, that is the best way to run your commute...
3. Good luck finding that elusive garage!
4. The weather is exactly 1,000,000 times better than the east coast. It is actually hard to go back there after a few winters in California.

Overall, the headaches (traffic, costs, fires, etc) seem to outweigh the negatives, at least for now. Take the risk, try something new and come on out...you can always go back.

PS: long live winter riding in South Jersey!
My lady works in Midtown and I am down in the lower Manhattan area. We both commute via ferry and subway so luckily I don't need to drive much besides down the road from my house to the ferry terminal parking lot... pretty simple commute really just long for what it is and we don’t feel that it has enough positives for us haha

South Jersey riding with studs is where it is at and it even keeps me riding during the winter months (I am surfing in the winter months where I live here at the beach so it would be nice not having to be fully suited up when the weather shifts.. booties, hood, gloves and all) haha Brings back a lot of good memories throughout the years even though we still have a ton of riding in some areas... Personally, I think that it has just gotten a little bit old for me after a few decades of riding these parts and wanting to try something new.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
10/25/2018 8:35am
ob wrote:
This shit is so funny. Don't some of you people understand how big California is, or even just "Southern California" ? It's totally different anywhere you...
This shit is so funny. Don't some of you people understand how big California is, or even just "Southern California" ? It's totally different anywhere you go. From shitty hillbilly hickville to bad ass surf towns. Live in the IE then it could suck.
Traffic? Of course if you want to commute on a major hwy at rush hour it could be bad. Ever been to Portland, Bay Area, Seattle? It's all the same as far as traffic, actually it's worse in Portland where I moved from because the dumb hwys are two lanes. I never have traffic issues.
Prices on homes same, expensive but the pay is better, some places like where I live you don't need AC or heat so take it for what it is. You aren't riding your moto, bicycle, and getting in a surf all in the same day ANYDAY of the year ANYWHERE else. I shouldnt be saying this because it's better all the retards in the world stay wherever they are, but where I live in SD it's friggin paradise and LA also has some of the most beautiful, fun and rewarding spots also, I love most of LA.
Good luck OP I'm sure you will have a great stay if you are the active type, have a good job and have lots of time to goof off because there will always be something fun to do.
I think it's funny when people see traffic as a CA problem. While LA itself is definitely bad traffic other places here aren't so gnarly. Places I've recently been where traffic was as bad/worse than San Diego are Boston, Austin and Seattle.

The way prices are out here, I think the hardest part is finding that balance of affordable-garage space-not sketchy area. Good luck to new guy!
clinthadwin
10/25/2018 9:13am
ob wrote:
This shit is so funny. Don't some of you people understand how big California is, or even just "Southern California" ? It's totally different anywhere you...
Fellow SD dweller here...can confirm...it's paradise.

You coming to the A1 Party OB?!?
ob
10/25/2018 9:22am
ob wrote:

Shit man I’d love to but didn’t get the invite lol.
ob
10/25/2018 9:24am Edited Date/Time 10/25/2018 9:26am
Another idea for mister OP, not sure how adventurous you and your lady are? I lived in my sprinter for a little while until I found the perfect area to start sinking roots. I fucking had a great time doing that ?
clinthadwin
10/25/2018 9:32am
ob wrote:

ob wrote:
Shit man I’d love to but didn’t get the invite lol.
I just gave you the invite! It's at my place in Del Cerro. lol Nothing official yet, but I made an SD thread a while back and a few said they'd join, I'll post something more official as the time gets closer, then probably meet up for beers and shenanigans prior to the party so as to make sure none of you slaughter stray cats in your spare time. lol

But it needs to happen! I watched A1 alone last year and felt like a psycho getting shit faced and yelling at the TV by myself. haha...so the more the merrier!
BR8ES
10/25/2018 10:21am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
From what I have heard in the industry I work in (energy) smog was much worse in LA back in the 70s and 80s. I moved...
From what I have heard in the industry I work in (energy) smog was much worse in LA back in the 70s and 80s.
I moved to NorCal two years ago, and I get the same thing "You moved TO California??" Maybe those people never lived in the Northeast and don't really realize what an insanely awesome place California is. I used to spend 3-4 hours a day sitting in traffic in the DC area, then wake up on the weekends and sit in it some more. It got to be where you don't want to go anywhere.
The state government in California (legislature, DMV, etc.) is completely dysfunctional, I will give you that. Dealing with health insurance alone with Covered California is like some kind of surreal experience. It's crazy expensive- but the OP lives in Jersey! I have spent some time there also- I think he can probably deal with the urban ills of L.A. I will say that L.A. is nothing like where I live, but American cities in general are shitholes these days- it's tragic. We squandered the greatest wealth and resources in the history of the world (mostly because of the exploitative gov't/corporate elite).
This is a good article on the California exodus to Boise, Phoenix and Reno. The median price of a home in CA is $600k: https://www.bloombergquint.com/pursuits/boise-and-reno-capitalize-on-th…

MxKing809 wrote:
What do you do in energy? I just applied to PG&E and Sempra yesterday. My wife and I are late 20’s and hate Michigan. There are...
What do you do in energy? I just applied to PG&E and Sempra yesterday.

My wife and I are late 20’s and hate Michigan. There are 5 months over 70 degrees and the remaining 7 months are barely tolerable to be outside (rain, cold, mud, etc).

It’s painful thinking about an 80 year life being lived in a climate where at least half is consumed with freezing temperatures and snow....
Get out while you can.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
10/25/2018 10:42am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
From what I have heard in the industry I work in (energy) smog was much worse in LA back in the 70s and 80s. I moved...
From what I have heard in the industry I work in (energy) smog was much worse in LA back in the 70s and 80s.
I moved to NorCal two years ago, and I get the same thing "You moved TO California??" Maybe those people never lived in the Northeast and don't really realize what an insanely awesome place California is. I used to spend 3-4 hours a day sitting in traffic in the DC area, then wake up on the weekends and sit in it some more. It got to be where you don't want to go anywhere.
The state government in California (legislature, DMV, etc.) is completely dysfunctional, I will give you that. Dealing with health insurance alone with Covered California is like some kind of surreal experience. It's crazy expensive- but the OP lives in Jersey! I have spent some time there also- I think he can probably deal with the urban ills of L.A. I will say that L.A. is nothing like where I live, but American cities in general are shitholes these days- it's tragic. We squandered the greatest wealth and resources in the history of the world (mostly because of the exploitative gov't/corporate elite).
This is a good article on the California exodus to Boise, Phoenix and Reno. The median price of a home in CA is $600k: https://www.bloombergquint.com/pursuits/boise-and-reno-capitalize-on-th…

MxKing809 wrote:
What do you do in energy? I just applied to PG&E and Sempra yesterday. My wife and I are late 20’s and hate Michigan. There are...

My wife and I are late 20’s and hate Michigan. There are 5 months over 70 degrees and the remaining 7 months are barely tolerable to be outside (rain, cold, mud, etc).

It’s painful thinking about an 80 year life being lived in a climate where at least half is consumed with freezing temperatures and snow....
BR8ES wrote:
Get out while you can.
That's How I Feel But I'm in Minnesota, same winters , it's really Nice hear in the summer but I just cant do these winters for the Rest of my life , I'm thinking 1 more year here and then I'm moving,
1st choice Southern California, because of the weather and the fact that it's the Moto Mecca
2nd Choice Florida, because of weather, and u really like riding Sand , and it seems pretty affordable there .
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
10/25/2018 10:52am
Man if you can find work in central NY and are ok not living in a city, it is kind of a diamond in the rough for moto. I have about 15 tracks within 2 hrs, 25 tracks within 3 hours of me.

Winters suck, but that's what snowmobiles are for.
NorCal 50+
10/25/2018 10:56am
NorCal 50+ wrote:

MxKing809 wrote:

BR8ES wrote:
Get out while you can.
I write about California energy topics for a living.
I hated all the rain in Maryland too- and riding in mud for six months of the year. Now it's the other extreme- it was 100 degrees for weeks straight this summer with no break- relentless heat. I went months without seeing a single raindrop. That takes some getting used to, but it beats chipping ice off my car at 7 am in zero degree weather all winter.
August was the hottest month ever recorded in San Diego. The fires, snowpack reductions and sea level rise will hit this state hard. My advice is if you come to California, live in a smaller city or town if possible. Metro LA is just incredibly huge.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
10/25/2018 11:23am Edited Date/Time 10/25/2018 11:25am
Jbulz wrote:
Man if you can find work in central NY and are ok not living in a city, it is kind of a diamond in the rough...
Man if you can find work in central NY and are ok not living in a city, it is kind of a diamond in the rough for moto. I have about 15 tracks within 2 hrs, 25 tracks within 3 hours of me.

Winters suck, but that's what snowmobiles are for.
Yeah I watch A Couple of Youtubers that Ride that Live in the Area and looks Like Moto is Very healthy around there from watching those guys Videos .(Tyler Monagan and Donzi Dembrosa) are the ones I'm talking about.
For Me personally tho my purpose for moving will be to
Go somewhere that stays warm .

CalRMX
10/26/2018 10:50am Edited Date/Time 10/26/2018 10:58am
dv12.com wrote:
If you leave for work @ 5:30am to DTLA and like to ride often, I'd live in Anaheim Hills or Yorba Linda all the tracks are...
If you leave for work @ 5:30am to DTLA and like to ride often, I'd live in Anaheim Hills or Yorba Linda all the tracks are basically off the 15 or 215 way east from LA... You're close to the beach, Newport Beach. LA is less than 45min at 5:30am. You're within a hour to all tracks and going against traffic to go ride and come back.
It's 35-45min to LA from AH and YL with NO traffic. Leave at 5:30 am it's going to be considerably longer, check Sigalert or Google Maps at 5:30 in the morning, it might have been a while since you did that commute (if ever)

From Brea (closer than AH and YL) it's minimum 75-90 minutes in morning rush hour traffic.
BR8ES
10/26/2018 11:04am Edited Date/Time 10/26/2018 11:05am
MxKing809 wrote:

BR8ES wrote:
Get out while you can.
NorCal 50+ wrote:
I write about California energy topics for a living. I hated all the rain in Maryland too- and riding in mud for six months of the...
I write about California energy topics for a living.
I hated all the rain in Maryland too- and riding in mud for six months of the year. Now it's the other extreme- it was 100 degrees for weeks straight this summer with no break- relentless heat. I went months without seeing a single raindrop. That takes some getting used to, but it beats chipping ice off my car at 7 am in zero degree weather all winter.
August was the hottest month ever recorded in San Diego. The fires, snowpack reductions and sea level rise will hit this state hard. My advice is if you come to California, live in a smaller city or town if possible. Metro LA is just incredibly huge.
All this talk makes me miss it... I know things have changed since I was last living there, but still appeals. I encourage any younger person to go. It is the only place I ever felt "home" and i have lived all over. Just do it, you can always move again.
racer187x
10/26/2018 8:23pm
My wife and I found a place in El Segundo and moved there from North Hollywood several years ago. Worked in Marina del Rey and DTLA. I loved El Segundo. LAX on one side (never really heard the plane traffic), refinery on the other side. Beach is a walk away. On the east side was all aerospace. Read: little crime because it’s kinda socked in. I rode my VTR 1000 to work which cuts any commute down significantly (huge plus for lane splitting).

We moved from there to Philly for work sadly. Spent a couple years there, then Houston and now out in the desert.

Do it! The NE sucks Laughing
Orange224
10/26/2018 10:24pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2018 10:27pm
I am really excited about trying to make this move happen within the next few weeks/months... 'super pumped' about it actually haha I grew up in Ocean County New Jersey in the Long Beach Island area so transplanting over to southern CA like most of my old friends growing up did would seem like the only natural thing to do in my case since my hometown is all about surfing, the outdoors and riding motocross. Thank you all for all of the input (good and bad) as it is all greatly appreciated!
MelonFan123
10/26/2018 11:52pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2018 11:53pm
Orange224 wrote:
I am really excited about trying to make this move happen within the next few weeks/months... 'super pumped' about it actually haha I grew up in...
I am really excited about trying to make this move happen within the next few weeks/months... 'super pumped' about it actually haha I grew up in Ocean County New Jersey in the Long Beach Island area so transplanting over to southern CA like most of my old friends growing up did would seem like the only natural thing to do in my case since my hometown is all about surfing, the outdoors and riding motocross. Thank you all for all of the input (good and bad) as it is all greatly appreciated!
If you make the move, shoot me a DM and i’ll show you around the surf spots in north LA County. You NE surfers are dedicated! Anyone who suits up in a 5mm with gloves and a hood has my respect.
ob
10/27/2018 7:34am
Don’t forget your flip flops, you will be wearing them everyday of the year.
10/27/2018 7:39am
Forgot about the surf requirement......

I bet LA won’t be much different for you. Just watched some politicians talking about how people are mass exodusing New Jersey. Mostly the elderly and 18-34 years old citizens.
Stephon
10/27/2018 7:47am
I've lived in Hollywood for the last 20 years. Yeah, the traffic is certainly something to deal with and it's not getting any better, but you kinda get used to it. The homeless population has certainly gotten worse in my time here.

I think you'll love it here, especially now as young adults. Surf, snow, moto, MTB and countless other outdoor activities are readily available to you. Best of luck to you!

Post a reply to: Possibly moving to LA from the east coast - I need help on relocating!!!

The Latest