Possibly moving to LA from the east coast - I need help on relocating!!!

Related:
Create New Tag

10/23/2018 8:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/26/2018 11:07 PM

I am originally from the northeast my whole entire life (NYC, Philly, South Jersey... riding down in South Jersey is nothing like it used to be growing up) and the wife wants to relocate since we are both tired of the area.. to Los Angeles. Which neighborhoods should I be looking into since I want to keep my regular moto/enduro/offroad life style while working in downtown LA? I am trying to find a happy medium but keep in mind that I am only someone who has gone to LA for work (I absolutely love it) and back from NYC so I do not have much experience around the area besides commuting around from the airport. Ideally, I am trying to find a single or double (please!!!) garage set up so I can keep my dirtbike sanity. Where are the go to and do nots of LA? PS. I love to surf and fish as well. My apologies in advance for being a California newbie.

|

10/23/2018 8:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/23/2018 8:39 PM

What’s your budget? Look into Santa Clarita. It’s really nice and have plenty of tracks within fan hour and even more within an hour and a half. There’s a bunch of us from here and the beach is 40 minutes away.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

10/23/2018 8:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/23/2018 8:47 PM

To be honest, there really isn't a budget unless it is something crazy since prices in NYC/NJ commuting area are $$$$ (not millions in my case haha, although I wish this was my paycheck.. maybe one day though haha) due to my job wanting to relocate me for the company. Just looking for a semi decent commute into downtown LA and back home so I can take care of my family / ride dirt bikes on a regular basis.

|

10/23/2018 8:45 PM

Orange224 wrote:

To be honest, there really isn't a budget unless it is something crazy since prices in NYC/NJ commuting area are $$$$ (not ...more

Downtown LA traffic sucks no matter what.. there’s really no good way lol. Figure at least 1-2 hours of traffic each way from where ever you decide to move. Maybe less maybe more. It’s not as bad as it sounds though.

|

2017 RMZ450
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

10/23/2018 8:50 PM

Note: I would be going into work at 5:30am due to working with NYC time... would this beat out most traffic? I just want a decent quality of life and allow my wife to be happy commuting with me. As they say, a happy wife is a happy life or so I am told.

|

10/23/2018 8:53 PM

Orange224 wrote:

Note: I would be going into work at 5:30am due to working with NYC time... would this beat out most traffic? I just want a ...more

That will beat most of the traffic. I assume you’ll be getting off decently early as well?

|

2017 RMZ450
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

IG @2HRacing

10/23/2018 9:01 PM

The further away from dtLA, the closer riding becomes. So that's part of the equation. How far from la, and what kind of riding? Tracks, or open riding? Most tracks are east, a couple northeast, and a couple southeast, a handful in between. Is 1 hour to dtla too far?

|

10/23/2018 9:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/23/2018 9:18 PM

I can get downtown in 35-40 minutes from Santa Clarita at 5:30 am.

|

10/23/2018 9:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/23/2018 9:22 PM

Orange224 wrote:

I am originally from the northeast my whole entire life (NYC, Philly, South Jersey... riding down in South Jersey is nothing ...more

DON'T DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LA and California ain't what it use to be. sick But dont move to Denver either because its going the same route.

|

Ed Johnson

10/23/2018 9:44 PM

Santa Clarita, Simi Valley area are all good spots. If your younger maybe Hunnington, Newport area. Your start time for work is a advantage.

|

10/23/2018 9:53 PM

Do you (or your wife) want to be closer to the ocean or moto? The Pasadena area might be worth checking out.

|

10/23/2018 9:56 PM

I’m originally from NY but been out on the west coast the last 10 years. The last 3 years in LA, just a few miles from downtown because my lady’s office is up in Hollywood.

Midweek leaving at 7:30-8am:
Milestone is 1 hour
Perris Raceway is 1 hour
Pala 1:30-1:45
Glen Helen 1 hour

Midweek leaving at 6:30am
Gorman is 1:15hour

Weekend:
LACR is 1:15

As you can see plenty of places to ride from straight up downtown. I leave my house before 7-8am and get home before 3 and honestly traffic is manageable. I try not to drive around LA from 8-10am or 4-7pm and it’s mellow.

We live in the Mid City area west of downtown. We can get to Malibu to surf in 20-25 minutes with no traffic.

I suggest looking at Pasadina and Glendale. If you can afford something there it’s grear because to go riding you don’t deal with as much traffic as living on the west side like me. But on the other hand you are farther to surf, so need to set your priorities. Those areas are safe and nice family spots.

North Hollywood is nice but you start to get father from the Inland Empire tracks(Corona,Riverside, Temecula). Same with Santa Clarita, it’s a great place and great prices to live, but you are up farther north.

La Cresenta is a little pocket that’s kinda cool away from downtown at the base of the mountains.

At 5:30am you can get anywhere pretty fast, wonder what time you would leave? Hope all that info helps!

|

10/23/2018 10:01 PM

Yup Santa Clarita I would pick but hot during the summer. I do have friends that live in Santa Monica and work in dtla and they love it but they do not ride.

Luckily I live and work in Ventura right by the ocean. If I had to live inland and deal with the heat and traffic I would pick a different state to live in. Most all tracks are a two hour drive for me but I trade that for a 15 minute bicycle commute along the ocean to work.

|

"Who cares about what other people think"

10/23/2018 10:06 PM

Move downtown and get a 500exc or fe. Moto everyday

|

10/23/2018 10:56 PM

Orange224 wrote:

I am originally from the northeast my whole entire life (NYC, Philly, South Jersey... riding down in South Jersey is nothing ...more

If you leave for work @ 5:30am to DTLA and like to ride often, I'd live in Anaheim Hills or Yorba Linda all the tracks are basically off the 15 or 215 way east from LA... You're close to the beach, Newport Beach. LA is less than 45min at 5:30am. You're within a hour to all tracks and going against traffic to go ride and come back.

|

10/23/2018 11:05 PM

If you work downtonwn LA, move to Manhattan Beach/ Hermosa or Santa Monica area. If you go ride on the weekends, leave in the am and there won't be traffic.

|

10/24/2018 12:02 AM

Burbank, Pasadena, and Glendale are nice cities that are close to a bunch of tracks.

|

10/24/2018 12:22 AM

Keep in mind, early morning traffic won’t be bad at 5:30am. But getting home will be much worse. Any time after 3pm or so it’s pretty bad gettimg out of downtown in any direction.

|

10/24/2018 12:29 AM

If you move anywhere near the 91, get a Fastrak transponder so you can drive the HOV lane. it will save hours every day.

Oh, and get the maximum comprehensive/uninsured motorist insurance coverage your carrier offers. You will probably end up using it at some point.

|

10/24/2018 2:22 AM

Torrance isn't bad. Close to the beach and all the tracks are 60 to 90 min away more or less. 20-25 min away from DTLA w/no traffic. If you day ends around 3, plan on a 30-45 min drive back. Get the FastTrack transponder like mentioned above, worth its weight in gold.

|

10/24/2018 7:49 AM

You want to move to the most over taxed state that is forcing people to leave in mass exodus.... on purpose? wow!

|

Don’t piss off the old people - the older they get the less “life in prison” is a deterrent for them!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

10/24/2018 8:03 AM

I have a sister n Santa Clarita. She loves it there, a little too hot for me. If the heat doesn’t bother you then I would put that at #1. Gets you out of the rat race of LA but is a manageable commute.

Others mentioned Pasadena and also La Crescenta. Lived in La Crescenta and it was a beautiful area around 25 years ago. I’m sure it hasn’t changed too much. Very green and we felt safe there.

Pasadena has incredible areas. Not sure how outrageous the prices are but I’m sure it will be very high $$$

If you are into surfing you may want to think south of LA in one of the beach cities. Not sure if the commute heading North n the morning but to me it may be worth it. I absolutely love the California coast.

DV brought up a good option. Not sure if that puts you in the 91 nightmare but that freeway is nasty.

Anyway keep us posted on where you end up. With all it’s faults you are coming to the best State. Beaches, mountains, deserts....I hit all 3 on my weekend rides. Leave in the morning and am back for dinner. And I take those rides 12 months out of the year. You’ll love it here

|

10/24/2018 8:33 AM

gnarwhip wrote:

If you work downtonwn LA, move to Manhattan Beach/ Hermosa or Santa Monica area. If you go ride on the weekends, leave in the ...more

X2. I live in Santa Monica. However the traffic is horrible so plan for that. Rough translation is to live near where you work. I work in Redondo Beach, 13 miles, and am on the road by 6:30 and it takes 15 minutes to go 13 miles. However, the ride home can take 40 minutes as I leave at 4:00pm. Milestone is roughly 1:10 minutes if I leave at 9:30; Traffic going into downtown is the reason. LACR roughly 60 minutes. Living out in Santa Clarita has it's advantages, prices and space, but gets really hot and cold compared to living closer to the beach. It comes down to your budget and what you are willing to put up with respect to commute time.

Good Luck

|

10/24/2018 8:36 AM

KennyT wrote:

I have a sister n Santa Clarita. She loves it there, a little too hot for me. If the heat doesn’t bother you then I would put ...more

Everyone says that it gets hot here, but it doesn't get any hotter than other places in SoCal and is usually cooler than Riverside and the rest of the IE during the middle of summer.

|

2017 RMZ450
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

IG @2HRacing

10/24/2018 8:37 AM

bvm111 wrote:

You want to move to the most over taxed state that is forcing people to leave in mass exodus.... on purpose? wow!

Says the person in VEGAS? tongue

|

10/24/2018 8:37 AM

24x wrote:

Burbank, Pasadena, and Glendale are nice cities that are close to a bunch of tracks.

This too. Just watch out for some of the younger Armenians tongue

|

2017 RMZ450
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

IG @2HRacing

10/24/2018 8:47 AM

Dont move to california. I am born and raised and lived here all but two years of my life. Southern California is not what it used to be.

The traffic is bumper to bumper starting at 4:30am from every where outside of LA. Nobody who actually works for a living can afford to live where they work. So everybody lives at least 1.5-2 hours away. I mean EVERYBODY.

The smog has been getting worse over the last few years. Its been really bad this year. We're severely over populated.Housing costs are ridiculous and continuing to skyrocket.

The laid back, cool, fun loving, easy going stereotype of southern california is nothing but a distant memory. Its been replaced by traffic, smog, 2 hour one way commutes to go 25 miles, mean people, illegals of all kinds who refuse to learn the language and our way of life, entitled assholes, and homeless people begging on every corner, in front of every 7-11, grocery store, whatever.

If you have no choice, santa clarita isnt terrible for commuting. You'll quickly find out that only having one way to get to LA and back sucks though. The 5/14/405/210 merge is a total POS. If you choose to live east of LA (inland empire, riverside, beaumont) accept living on the freeways as your new way of life.

|

10/24/2018 9:20 AM

From what I have heard in the industry I work in (energy) smog was much worse in LA back in the 70s and 80s.
I moved to NorCal two years ago, and I get the same thing "You moved TO California??" Maybe those people never lived in the Northeast and don't really realize what an insanely awesome place California is. I used to spend 3-4 hours a day sitting in traffic in the DC area, then wake up on the weekends and sit in it some more. It got to be where you don't want to go anywhere.
The state government in California (legislature, DMV, etc.) is completely dysfunctional, I will give you that. Dealing with health insurance alone with Covered California is like some kind of surreal experience. It's crazy expensive- but the OP lives in Jersey! I have spent some time there also- I think he can probably deal with the urban ills of L.A. I will say that L.A. is nothing like where I live, but American cities in general are shitholes these days- it's tragic. We squandered the greatest wealth and resources in the history of the world (mostly because of the exploitative gov't/corporate elite).
This is a good article on the California exodus to Boise, Phoenix and Reno. The median price of a home in CA is $600k: https://www.bloombergquint.com/pursuits/boise-and-reno-capitalize-on-the-california-real-estate-exodus#gs.i6MFfQ8

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

10/24/2018 9:33 AM

I call bullshit on the smog. Because of the nutty governer we have had excellent air quality here. Some people mistake marine layer as smog. I’ve gfewunetly go to Ststes all across the country and the air quality here is conaparable with any area of heave population. Which you pretty much have to deal with if you are working near a big city

I still work and I live right where I work, near the beach in the dreaded So Cal traffic zone. Ever drive anywhere besides the back roads? Any large city, even if it’s in bumfuck Idaho will have you sitting in traffic.

In regard to Santa Clitota heat. It is hot compared to Vista, but it is def no hotter than any inland city in So Cal.
To me if it reaches a 100 in the summer that’s too hot...but I’m a puss for cool climates

|

10/24/2018 9:51 AM

KennyT wrote:

I call bullshit on the smog. Because of the nutty governer we have had excellent air quality here. Some people mistake marine ...more

Well, considering you're next to the beach, then ya it is hot here laughing Otherwise it really isn't all that hot. A few days a year if it gets over 105, then ya I hate it haha

|

2017 RMZ450
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

IG @2HRacing