Possible passing of the torch at trentino yesterday?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/9/2018 5:16 PM

What do you guys think of the race yesterda? I was even more impressed with Herlings as he stated he didn’t care for the track but looked way fast again and basically went head to head with AC and took both motos with decent starts!! You guys think this may be changing if the guard this year as he said it felt great to go into the lions den and come out in top!! Boys are hauling the mail fo sure!!

|

4/9/2018 5:28 PM

A few fellows like Rattray, Fevbre and Gasjer may have thought the same thing. Herlings has been known to not finish the season in one piece. Don't count out the old man too soon.

|

4/9/2018 7:28 PM

Herlings is a rare phenomenon, Antonio is a sly old fox who wins wars without having to win all the battles

|

“If you don’t crash alot, you just ain’t going fast enough” Chandler

4/9/2018 8:42 PM

Nuffsaid wrote:

Herlings is a rare phenomenon, Antonio is a sly old fox who wins wars without having to win all the battles

This^^

|

Current rides-
1988 RM250
2021 GasGas MC450

4/9/2018 8:56 PM

People were writing Cairoli off after 15, and definitely after 16, yet he is still the odds on favorite to win the title after 4 rounds. He is normally more consistent than Herlings. Herlings has the raw speed advantage, but hes been know to throw it away a time or two. It’s a Dungey/Tomac type battle.

|

4/9/2018 10:20 PM

Kind of like the guys said above. Hard to count Tony out. At this point , he and other's are probably banking on Jeffrey to make a mistake. It may happen.....but who knows. The past 12 months it's been Jeffrey's world. If he stays healthy , he'll be tough to beat.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Ezza is Da man!

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

4/9/2018 10:23 PM

Herlings has been the fastest guy for sure. It’s just a matter of if he can keep it together. Cairoli seems to be depending on Herlings to make that mistake. I bet if Herlings still hasn’t done so within the next 5 rounds that Cairoli will change his mindset.

|

4/9/2018 11:00 PM

I'm not sure if TC is banking on JH to make a mistake, to me it looks more like he wants to beat him straight up. I mean he was pushing like a maniac (including mistakes) to stay up front @ valkenswaard.

Imo Herlings doesn't need to be pressured to crash, actually i feel for him it works the other way around: when he is up in the lead and doesnt feel pressure he'll get nonchalant and throws it away. It was like this in his mx2 years, he was miles ahead in speed and points and threw it away a couple of seasons.

|

4/10/2018 6:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/10/2018 7:03 AM

DV said pre-season on Pulp that Cairoli had too many distractions in the off-season whilst Herlings didn't and appeared hungrier! He also expected Cairoli's fitness to be sub-standard for a few GP's.

Four GP's in, Herlings has largely had bad starts, been faster every single time and as DV alluded to, has had better fitness! Cairoli has shown speed, but he can't keep it up, he has often dropped it over the second half of the moto and made mistakes which have changed the tide of the race, arguably losing points in the process.

After Trentino, take it with a pinch of salt/call it an excuse/mind games or whatever that suits your agenda (paging Kongols, the Dutch and co) but Cairoli candidly stated "it is very hard for me to keep the motivation, it is fifteen years that I am training every week. Sometimes it is difficult to find the motivation in the week to keep pushing at that pace for forty minutes two times. Sometimes I skip some training. This is not what we need because I know that he is training very hard. It is also not easy to focus for so long time and be consistent always".

Ultimately Cairoli needs to be at 100% to stand a chance of beating Herlings consistently mano e mano, but it remains to be seen whether he is or not! I'll take the opinion of DV pre-season who casts doubt on Cairoli early than any keyboard jockey and Herlings fanboy who flat out can't be objective about that theory! Alas, we'll never truly know.

Nonetheless it's been a spicy affair so far and whilst early, the next few GP's will be crucial. Cairoli's form hasn't been great, he's only won 3 of the last 20 GP moto's and had an absolutely shocking 2017 MXdN! If he does respond, that could be huge, what does that do to his confidence and that of Herlings? If nothing changes, aside of injury, I don't think the torch was passed at Trentino, it was passed at Patagonia; because aside of starts, Herlings has been better from free practice until the end of the last moto so far this season.

|

4/10/2018 6:53 AM

Cairoli is 1 year older

Herlings is 1 year younger!

|

4/10/2018 7:03 AM

Stop it please

|

4/10/2018 7:14 AM

Herlings is faster. Can he race an entire season is the question.

|

4/10/2018 7:26 AM

St Ann More wrote:

DV said pre-season on Pulp that Cairoli had too many distractions in the off-season whilst Herlings didn't and appeared ...more

Why did he sign a contract extension if he is truly feeling burnt out ? Rhetorical I don't expect you to know the answer.

|

4/10/2018 8:19 AM

Obviously nothing is etched in stone but it sure looks like AC's days on the top step are numbered. Herlings has been pretty rock solid since the end of last year and if he starts consistently up front like he did last weekend I think he is going to get it in his head that it is his class now.

|

4/10/2018 8:25 AM

If the torch is passed, so to speak, that’s fine. It happens. I’m just glad we’ve been able to see such a great rider over the course of a decade and a half.

|

4/10/2018 8:33 AM

St Ann More wrote:

DV said pre-season on Pulp that Cairoli had too many distractions in the off-season whilst Herlings didn't and appeared ...more

ATKpilot99 wrote:

Why did he sign a contract extension if he is truly feeling burnt out ? Rhetorical I don't expect you to know the answer.

It was an interesting quote and came out of nowhere, a little. If you want to read the full interview, it's here. Thanks for sharing the quote!

|

Editor at MXVice.com.

4/10/2018 9:51 AM

St Ann More wrote:

ATKpilot99 wrote:

he signed the contract to continue racing. Him getting at being burnt out is one of his many excuses these days..at least when jeffrey got beat at the start of every round last year he openly admitted it was him who sucked, not the bike, not training, not the tracks, just him. No excuses when he got beat.

|

4/10/2018 11:10 AM

I think the torched passed about a third of the way into last season when Herlings was fully recovered from this hand injury. He's simply been faster than everyone (anywhere) since then, and he hasn't had a major crash since the 2017 preseason.

Herlings has two weakness -- injuries and poor starts. But this season and late last season have shown that even when he makes poor starts, his speed through the field is eye-popping. It's almost impossible to keep him out of the top three. (Consider Ironman Moto 2 last year and USGP Moto 1; Herlings demolished those fields from way back.)

To be fair, though, Cairoli is the only guy who's close, and that's saying a lot for the old master. And as we've seen (Ottobiano last year, Redsand this year), Cairoli can win straight up under certain conditions.

It's a long season, 40 motos. No other series does that. We have to let it play out.

|

F1. MotoGP. MXGP. Screw the rest.

4/10/2018 1:34 PM

Brownstone322 wrote:

I think the torched passed about a third of the way into last season when Herlings was fully recovered from this hand injury. ...more

Agreed

|

4/10/2018 1:49 PM

Brownstone322 wrote:

I think the torched passed about a third of the way into last season when Herlings was fully recovered from this hand injury. ...more

Another good perspective for sure!!

|

4/10/2018 1:53 PM

Brownstone322 wrote:

Tomac won the first moto of the USGP last year.

|

4/10/2018 1:59 PM

It was only two weeks ago that Cairoli went 1-1.

|

4/10/2018 2:10 PM

Mmmm only problem for JH is that it’s a long long season and AC is a willy old fox so count him out at your peril

|

Now a member of the Orange brigade

4/10/2018 3:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/10/2018 3:28 PM

ATKpilot99 wrote:

Wow, Ralph Shaheen, thanks for pointing out what the rest of us already knew.

The point was that -- in the context of winning a championship -- Herlings is almost always gonna finish near the front of the field and score 20+ points. Even when he makes a poor start ... wait for it, here it comes again ... "it's almost impossible to keep him out of the top three."

Herlings and Cairoli made poor starts in the first moto of the USGP, but they cut through the field to second and third anyway. In the second moto at Ironman, by all rights Herlings should have finished second after his spill, but so what? He still would have passed 37 riders to get into second. (Turns out he passed 38 and won.) A guy who rides like that is gonna be just about unbeatable over the course of 40 motos.

Get it now?

|

F1. MotoGP. MXGP. Screw the rest.

4/10/2018 3:18 PM

Brownstone322 wrote:

ATKpilot99 wrote:

Brownstone322 wrote:

Wow, Ralph Shaheen, thanks for pointing out what the rest of us already knew.

The point was that -- in the context of winning ...more

Simply pointing out that he demolished the field as you said except for one rider in the first moto. Yes Herlings is very fast . I'm happy you're here to tell me that.

|