Possible good news for Southwick.

Zesiger 112
Fantasy
1835th
6/1/2013 7:18pm Edited Date/Time 7/11/2013 8:49am
I know some people who live in that area, they said alot of people (nonmoto) are really trying to get the national to stay. I'm sure it's because of the business they get when all those fans come in.
|
Jack mehoff
6/1/2013 7:26pm
Yea but if mx sports don't want it your done . Every year for about the last 5 I have heard that it was on the block , it's said it about as close to a euro race as we get smack dab in the middle off the town , tell me another national like that? If they where smart they would have them parade down Main Street to show the residents what kind off support that is behind this ,that would be a great fare well ! Put then in convertibles and wave to your fans
Hut
6/1/2013 7:31pm
Yea but if mx sports don't want it your done . Every year for about the last 5 I have heard that it was on the...
Yea but if mx sports don't want it your done . Every year for about the last 5 I have heard that it was on the block , it's said it about as close to a euro race as we get smack dab in the middle off the town , tell me another national like that? If they where smart they would have them parade down Main Street to show the residents what kind off support that is behind this ,that would be a great fare well ! Put then in convertibles and wave to your fans
Do like at Evel Kneivel Days in Butte and let anyone in town parade a loop around town on two wheels behind the riders(on their bikes). Cool
KMC440
6/1/2013 7:59pm
Just parade a car pulling a trailer loaded with the equivilent in dollar bills lost to the local economy from losing the event .... screw it all those local losers are probably on SSI anyways and don't give a crap.
Jack mehoff
6/1/2013 8:02pm
When some roid head dies at there yuppie tough mudder they will wish they had mx back

The Shop

zookie
6/2/2013 10:07am
Yea but if mx sports don't want it your done . Every year for about the last 5 I have heard that it was on the...
It doesn't sound like the problem was MXsports. Sounds like the issue was the VFW post and the use of their land.
jhansen510
Fantasy
3559th
6/2/2013 10:33am
Southwick is a unique and amazing place! I have only been there once but thoroughly enjoyed it. 2004 and it was a pleasure watching the last of the 2 stroke heroes killing it on that monster of a track!
user760a
6/2/2013 12:48pm
speaking of small tracks for a national...never been to a national at southwick but I did walk around the place during some local races and had no idea how they could really pack a national into that venue.
Harry_Gray
6/2/2013 1:34pm
I really, really hope they can find a way to keep that race track open and on the schedule. It'd be a shame to lose it...
DC
6/2/2013 1:44pm Edited Date/Time 6/2/2013 1:49pm
Zesiger, Jack, the whole situation up there really has nothing to do with MX Sports. The American Legion 338 did not renew their deal with Diane and Ralph, the promoters of the Southwick National (her late husband Ray Peebles was a founding member of the track, along with the late Bernie Yellin and I believe nine other men back in 1970, most now deceased or retired). Without them, there are no motocross people involved up there within the Legion that I even know of to proceed with.

What if someone pushed the Dirt Diggers out of Hangtown? How would the race go on without the actual promoter of the race?

DC
MX Sports
moto284
6/2/2013 2:30pm
this rumor comes out every couple years... i hope it stays a rumor
7/10/2013 9:14am
I’d like to clear up some of the confusion regarding the contract negotiations between the Southwick American Legion Post and MotoX338. First off if anyone has any first hand knowledge of contact between the Pitellos and our lawyer, where there was any discussion regarding our insistence on staying with our first proposals, or there was a discussion regarding any numbers, please let me know immediately. Our lawyer never told us of such a contact and if there was, this would constitute malpractice on our lawyer’s part and we would of course pursue this in court.

As far as we were concerned there were no negotiations. Negotiations require a two way conversation and this did not happen. We gave the Pitellos 2 sets of numbers as a starting point and we had our lawyer draw up a proposed contract. It was not presented as a “take it or leave it” proposal. They said they’d get back to us in October and we felt that was unacceptable, so we said we needed something back by the end of May. They never came back with different figures, never said the figures were unreasonable, never said that other increases (e.g. an increase in the fees paid to MX Sports) made it impossible, never discussed an alternative to a 5 year contract, never got back to us at all. The first we heard about an “impasse” was rumors and then articles in the newspapers and various web pages. In fact, it wasn’t until we’ve seen all of these articles that we contacted Ralph and he eventually told us that they were retiring.

We will find someone to lease and manage our track. The person we find will be a motocross rider and experienced in running a track. When we do, we will require them to make every effort to have the Nationals run at Southwick. Any decision regarding the Nationals at Southwick rest in the hands of MX Sports and MotoX338. If we are given a list of updates have to be done, then that is something the Post and the track manager will deal with.

Whether the Nationals are run at Southwick in the future or not, we will have motocross there. There will be races and the track will be available for practices. If we don’t have the Nationals, then I know the promoter will work to bring in other motocross events that the public will be interested in seeing. We are not going away.
7/10/2013 9:26am
That's great to hear, Michael. You've obviously got Davey's attention in here. I think everyone has been sad to see Southwick (potentially) go away. I am sure DC would love to see it continue. I'd guess the only barrier, at least for next year, is time and getting the details nailed down. I am just a fan but I hope you can find your candidate soon and work with Davey to keep it on the schedule. No one wants to see Southwick go away, and I think DC and MXSports are good business partners and will work with and can help you make it happen.

I am thrilled to hear you aren't going anywhere...
dedi684
7/10/2013 9:31am
DC wrote:
Zesiger, Jack, the whole situation up there really has nothing to do with MX Sports. The American Legion 338 did not renew their deal with Diane...
Zesiger, Jack, the whole situation up there really has nothing to do with MX Sports. The American Legion 338 did not renew their deal with Diane and Ralph, the promoters of the Southwick National (her late husband Ray Peebles was a founding member of the track, along with the late Bernie Yellin and I believe nine other men back in 1970, most now deceased or retired). Without them, there are no motocross people involved up there within the Legion that I even know of to proceed with.

What if someone pushed the Dirt Diggers out of Hangtown? How would the race go on without the actual promoter of the race?

DC
MX Sports
That's an awful dumbed down response. New England is a hot bed for motocross. There's no one worthy of promoting a national? The legion were never doing it anyhow so why would they now?
DC
7/10/2013 9:48am
Mr. Sullivan, please feel free to email me directly: DC@mxsports.com

You mentioned in your first post on Vital that you felt MX Sports was ignoring you but I have never received an email from you or anyone else at the Legion. I was at Southwick for three days and even in the Legion hall for some time on Thursday evening but no one from the Legion other than Clovis spoke to me or sought me out.

DC
MX Sports
BigMX
7/10/2013 10:02am
DC wrote:
Mr. Sullivan, please feel free to email me directly: DC@mxsports.com You mentioned in your first post on Vital that you felt MX Sports was ignoring you...
Mr. Sullivan, please feel free to email me directly: DC@mxsports.com

You mentioned in your first post on Vital that you felt MX Sports was ignoring you but I have never received an email from you or anyone else at the Legion. I was at Southwick for three days and even in the Legion hall for some time on Thursday evening but no one from the Legion other than Clovis spoke to me or sought me out.

DC
MX Sports
Well you two should open up a dialogue. Hopefully this is just a big misunderstanding and Southwick will be back next year! Now all we have to do is get Dowd to un-retire!
CR250Rider
7/10/2013 10:17am
Why was there no counter-proposal made? How hard is it to make a phone call?

sounds like amateur hour again
SRP33
7/10/2013 10:31am
A step in the right direction
holeshot100
7/10/2013 11:19am
Southwick could get a World GP. All they have to do is pay Luongo about $400k and they are good to go!
7/10/2013 11:58am
Looks like Vitalmx could be playing a vital role in bringing back Southwick.
Frodad78
7/10/2013 12:04pm
History being made on Vital today.....someone start another J-law thread before we gain any credibility!!
kongols
7/10/2013 12:04pm
Southwick could get a World GP. All they have to do is pay Luongo about $400k and they are good to go!
Luongo is so desperate for American approval he will do it for free.
Dezerted
7/10/2013 12:08pm
Maybe we'll get the whole truth in a racer x mag. They have no reason to print anything but unbiased truth in regards to mx sports. Or maybe weingandt will gives us some unbiased insight on the telecast, he has no reason to be anything but unbiased right. Maybe GuyB won't delete me and my account because he also has no reason to be biased in DCs favor.

DC does what's best for his company's, totally understandable but quit with the political bullshit answers already. You always make yourself the victim. Poor me just trying to do what's beat for motocross. Dry
MT MX
7/10/2013 12:21pm
kongols wrote:
I think you'd have a situation like what happened at Glen Helen. Hardly anyone racing the nationals would race it.
On the other hand, it might be good because some of the locals that haul ass on that track (Goerke. hint, hint) might put on a show.
Crash82
Fantasy
2187th
7/10/2013 12:25pm
Not like a GP race if they groom the track. I really missed the super hoops man.
holeshot100
7/10/2013 12:28pm
kongols wrote:
The Glen Helen GP was awesome. You could watch anywhere along the fence. No waiting anywhere for anything.

I personally think Glen Helen played hardball with MX Sports knowing they had the GP to fall back on. What they did not expect is no fans showing up. I would think Luongo made it attractive for Glen Helen to get that GP because they wanted one in the US, but Glen Helen used that "one time freebie-discount", and still lost their ass. Lots of preparation(money) goes into a race at that level. This last paragraph is ALL SPECULATION.

It was still a great event.

hellion
7/10/2013 12:33pm
I live only a few miles from the track and I grew up racing there and watching the Nationals there until I was fortunate enough to race in them. As such, I would love to see the Nationals continue to be held in Southwick. Really, without the Nationals what the heck is Southwick? Kinda like a country version of Hartford without the Whalers..........dead. But, if you believe that Ralph and Diane refused to deal and chose to retire than you are being fooled. The infighting at the Wick is legendary around here, and what is represented to the public is not what is really going on. Never has been. I don't want to rain on this parade as I've held out hope on this matter since first hearing about it. Just like most things in life, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
The only way I see this being resolved is if the legion were to call Ralph and Diane, apologize, and beg them to come back. Do I think that will happen? I'm not holding my breath...........
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
7/10/2013 2:51pm Edited Date/Time 7/10/2013 2:52pm
hellion wrote:
I live only a few miles from the track and I grew up racing there and watching the Nationals there until I was fortunate enough to...
I live only a few miles from the track and I grew up racing there and watching the Nationals there until I was fortunate enough to race in them. As such, I would love to see the Nationals continue to be held in Southwick. Really, without the Nationals what the heck is Southwick? Kinda like a country version of Hartford without the Whalers..........dead. But, if you believe that Ralph and Diane refused to deal and chose to retire than you are being fooled. The infighting at the Wick is legendary around here, and what is represented to the public is not what is really going on. Never has been. I don't want to rain on this parade as I've held out hope on this matter since first hearing about it. Just like most things in life, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
The only way I see this being resolved is if the legion were to call Ralph and Diane, apologize, and beg them to come back. Do I think that will happen? I'm not holding my breath...........
Stop that! Anything f'ed up is Davey's fault. No matter what. All he needs to do is whip out his magic dust.
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
3920th
7/10/2013 2:55pm
That's good news. Finally someone is making an effort.. Sheesh, was that so hard?!Dizzy

Post a reply to: Possible good news for Southwick.

The Latest