Another Ken Roczen Update: Latest Elbow Surgery

tprice07
1/27/2017 1:51pm
no bleeding due to a tourniquet cuff on the upper arm during surgery? Operating Rooms are aseptic (or at least should be) edit: I think he...
no bleeding due to a tourniquet cuff on the upper arm during surgery? Operating Rooms are aseptic (or at least should be)

edit: I think he had a good nap at the time the pictures was taken
I'm hoping they were able to clean out the dirt from the compound fracture. That scares the shit out of me.
1/27/2017 1:56pm
tprice07 wrote:
I'm hoping they were able to clean out the dirt from the compound fracture. That scares the shit out of me.
I hope so too. bone infection can be devastating
Rowlands
1/27/2017 2:05pm
Very clever I must say. Thank you guys
tprice07
1/27/2017 2:14pm
I hope so too. bone infection can be devastating
I'm glad he is positive. Every time I break a bone I find myself super depressed and envious of every person who isn't injured.

The Shop

Calihusky
1/27/2017 2:15pm
Rowlands wrote:
Thank you. How come that it is not bleeding and is not just getting full of infections. Props to Kenny it must be so brutal having...
Thank you. How come that it is not bleeding and is not just getting full of infections.

Props to Kenny it must be so brutal having to see your arm like that so savage !
tprice07 wrote:
That's a good question. I'm not sure. Someone else might be able to chime in here.
I don't do that particular surgery but when a wound is infected, or has dirt in it such as this case, we frequently leave it open. You do not want to close skin over a possible infection or dirt because now you have a closed space and can develop a very serious infection. As to why it doesn't bleed that's because any artery or vein that would have been bleeding is either repaired, tied off or cauterized. You can cut the skin that length and if you have not cut into any arteries or veins you will only have skin edge bleeding which is easily cauterized. Not knowing the specifics I believe they are waiting to put in any hardware(plates and screws) because you just can't put them in a dirty wound or you will guarantee major infection. The external fixators help keep the arm in its natural position and length until the appropriate time to plate everything.
1/27/2017 2:23pm
tprice07 wrote:
I'm glad he is positive. Every time I break a bone I find myself super depressed and envious of every person who isn't injured.
yeah, I think he'll be good. He is young and superfit as well, that's a big factor in this matter.

I used to read biographys of some racers when I was in hospital injured. Especially the chapters about them getting hurt were always help Wink
Dirt_Dawg
Fantasy
2740th
1/27/2017 2:25pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2017 2:27pm
Rowlands wrote:
Thank you. How come that it is not bleeding and is not just getting full of infections. Props to Kenny it must be so brutal having...
Thank you. How come that it is not bleeding and is not just getting full of infections.

Props to Kenny it must be so brutal having to see your arm like that so savage !
tprice07 wrote:
That's a good question. I'm not sure. Someone else might be able to chime in here.
Calihusky wrote:
I don't do that particular surgery but when a wound is infected, or has dirt in it such as this case, we frequently leave it open...
I don't do that particular surgery but when a wound is infected, or has dirt in it such as this case, we frequently leave it open. You do not want to close skin over a possible infection or dirt because now you have a closed space and can develop a very serious infection. As to why it doesn't bleed that's because any artery or vein that would have been bleeding is either repaired, tied off or cauterized. You can cut the skin that length and if you have not cut into any arteries or veins you will only have skin edge bleeding which is easily cauterized. Not knowing the specifics I believe they are waiting to put in any hardware(plates and screws) because you just can't put them in a dirty wound or you will guarantee major infection. The external fixators help keep the arm in its natural position and length until the appropriate time to plate everything.
Can i ask what kind of surgeon you are or do? Damn feel bad for KROC but i guess it could've been worse. Heal up kenny boy!
1/27/2017 2:30pm
Calihusky wrote:
I don't do that particular surgery but when a wound is infected, or has dirt in it such as this case, we frequently leave it open...
how long do you usually leave the wound open in comparable cases?
MDMCG
1/27/2017 2:47pm
Calihusky wrote:
The wound is open b/c of swelling. They use external fixation when there is too much swelling to close the skin. They had to open his volar forearm compartment due to swelling. When the swelling improves they will reconstruct his distal radius/ulnar joint and repair the bones that are broken. It's a stepwise process unfortunately.

With that said, we wash out "dirty" wounds all the time and close if we are able to do so.
Calihusky
1/27/2017 2:54pm
Calihusky wrote:
I'm a head and neck surgeon. On some bad infections where there is something called necrotizing fasciitis(tissue literally liquefying) we leave the wound open and let it just close on it's own. We can always go back later on and revise the scar. It sounds weird but the danger is actually closing a wound with infection, not leaving it open. Of course when you leave it open you are doing dressing changes with sterile gauze. Having an open wound outside of that controlled environment is a different story. The other issue with it being his forearm is that if you closed his wound right now not only wound you potentially trap infection but his tissue is swollen so you could not close it without creating compression that could cause other damage.
I think Kenny is in great hands and receiving the absolute best care. It's clear that neither he nor his team is messing around with this in how they went about things.
RRsis17
1/27/2017 2:55pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2017 3:02pm
Calihusky wrote:
MDMCG wrote:
The wound is open b/c of swelling. They use external fixation when there is too much swelling to close the skin. They had to open his...
The wound is open b/c of swelling. They use external fixation when there is too much swelling to close the skin. They had to open his volar forearm compartment due to swelling. When the swelling improves they will reconstruct his distal radius/ulnar joint and repair the bones that are broken. It's a stepwise process unfortunately.

With that said, we wash out "dirty" wounds all the time and close if we are able to do so.
They use a vac on it as well with the open incision for the compartment syndrome correct?????

Robbie had this happen to his lower leg about 10years ago. They were threatening amputation if the swelling didn't go down. That is why he has scars that go from his knee and ankle on the inside and outside of his lower leg. Robbie's was open for 4-5 days and thankfully they were able to close it without skin graphs.
I am sure bicycling is helping to keep the blood flowing to all extremities. Praying for Roczen and his recovery. He is definitely one of my many faves.
1/27/2017 2:59pm
MDMCG wrote:
The wound is open b/c of swelling. They use external fixation when there is too much swelling to close the skin. They had to open his...

Thanks for the info. give him our regards Wink
1/27/2017 3:08pm
Calihusky wrote:
I'm a head and neck surgeon. On some bad infections where there is something called necrotizing fasciitis(tissue literally liquefying) we leave the wound open and let...
I'm a head and neck surgeon. On some bad infections where there is something called necrotizing fasciitis(tissue literally liquefying) we leave the wound open and let it just close on it's own. We can always go back later on and revise the scar. It sounds weird but the danger is actually closing a wound with infection, not leaving it open. Of course when you leave it open you are doing dressing changes with sterile gauze. Having an open wound outside of that controlled environment is a different story. The other issue with it being his forearm is that if you closed his wound right now not only wound you potentially trap infection but his tissue is swollen so you could not close it without creating compression that could cause other damage.
I think Kenny is in great hands and receiving the absolute best care. It's clear that neither he nor his team is messing around with this in how they went about things.
Thanks for your reply. Fortunately we never heard a word about an infection in his forearm yet, let's hope it stays that way.
Clutchy
1/27/2017 3:48pm
Bloody hell.........................
Toosano
1/27/2017 8:51pm

Sargent Rock
1/27/2017 9:27pm
24 month recovery. He will not be back on a race track until 2019'

Don't shoot the messenger, I am a fan and this came from a Orthopedic Surgeon that did my knee.
Skuzzy29
2/5/2017 1:14pm

You spend months preparing,training and lots of riding for racing and never even tip over really. Literally go without crashing for weeks and everything washes down the drain from just one little bitty mishap. To be honest, I dont see anything i did wrong. Not like the previous years where i go. "Man that was stupid" But riding/racing you have to act quick... very! And in the end you can't pause the world and think about what you are going to do for a second. You will always go with your instinkt and there is nothing wrong with that. That's part of learning and getting better. But like I said, I would love to look at the crash and say, ohhh that's what happened..! But I can't. Not sure if that makes it easier or harder. Anyway I felt more gathered and collected and focused than ever as you could tell in my riding ( in my eyes) and then something this scary happens so quick. I got VERY lucky that I really just demolished my arm because at that speed and hight it could have been very ugly. It was still scary coming out of the first surgery and Doc Viola said if it wouldn't have been done now I could have lost my arm. I started having compartment syndrome. Wich means my muscles and everything were so swollen from the impact that they stopped getting blood flow and slowly stop working. And once the muscle is dead there is no bringing it back. Anyway. Tough pill to swollen, but hey. Could have been worse. Felt like telling the story. It. But it's good to hear that thing are gonna be fine. Just gotta be patient.

A video posted by Ken Roczen (@kenroczen94) on Feb 5, 2017 at 12:50pm PST

Skidaddle
2/5/2017 2:42pm Edited Date/Time 2/5/2017 2:43pm
Anyone do parodies like they do of all the fitness kooks on Youtube?

ML512
Fantasy
36th
2/20/2017 7:11am
Bump...

The latest from Ken is on page one. He's going in for surgery number nine on Wednesday.
Motofinne
2/20/2017 7:15am
9th surgery. And some thought i was too dramatic when i made my prediction that this will be a career effecting injury.

2/20/2017 7:20am
This is all sounding a great deal more serious than I first thought... I hope it all turns out well for Ken in terms of being able to use his arm again... Riding will be a bonus by the sound of it.

Jspazz
2/20/2017 7:25am
Motofinne wrote:
9th surgery. And some thought i was too dramatic when i made my prediction that this will be a career effecting injury.

It already affected his career, how is that a prediction lol
Motofinne
2/20/2017 7:35am Edited Date/Time 2/20/2017 7:48am
Motofinne wrote:

Jspazz wrote:
It already affected his career, how is that a prediction lol
I meant that the chance of him getting back to the Roczen we saw the first 2 races might be a long shot. And that it might be a injury that effects him in the long run. This is of course only speculation.

There were people speculating on whether he would be back for outdoors or MEC. I said i think A1 2018 is the best case scenario.

But i really, really hope he can be back at some kind of normal Roczen level. He is so young, only 22 or 23. He could possibly win at least 3 more 450 titles(indoors and outdoors).
tylermx967
2/20/2017 10:48am
I THINK MIKE WEB SHOUD OF SINE THIS GUY TO KEEP RIDING SUSZUKI AFTER HE WIND THE TITEL THEN HE MIGHT NOT OF SMASHED
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
2/20/2017 11:11am Edited Date/Time 2/20/2017 11:12am
tylermx967 wrote:
I THINK MIKE WEB SHOUD OF SINE THIS GUY TO KEEP RIDING SUSZUKI AFTER HE WIND THE TITEL THEN HE MIGHT NOT OF SMASHED
Of all the things to bring your BS into, this is not it.

- Everyone
Motofinne
2/20/2017 11:13am
tylermx967 wrote:
It's not funny anymore.
MattyVicious
Fantasy
508th
2/20/2017 11:36am
tylermx967 wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
It's not funny anymore.
×2
2/20/2017 11:45am
tylermx967 wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
It's not funny anymore.
×2
X3.
Question
2/20/2017 11:46am

It is amazing. 10 surgeries.... sincerely get well soon Kenny!
Spat24
Fantasy
1140th
2/20/2017 11:51am
I hope the doc does a great job for the kid. Will be great to see him race again next year.

Post a reply to: Another Ken Roczen Update: Latest Elbow Surgery

The Latest