Possible Stewart Am bike. I need opinions

Edited Date/Time 9/15/2017 3:02pm
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forums, so bear with me. I recently came across a bike on CL that had some interesting parts on it that I couldn't let slip by. I paid nearly nothing for the bike, and rightfully so..it needs a lot of work. It has PC clamps, PC works pipe without any numbers on the tag, a carbon skidplate, PC axle blocks, Clutch perch, PC pegs, and some interesting shock links that I've only seen on Stews 125's from 01-02 and GP SR's from the same years. They are similar to the old PC ones but the inset is squared instead of rounded. They're definitely machined parts. One of the rad louvers also had remnants of a chevy logo. I know it's a stretch but i remember some of his bikes circulating around down here after he went pro and some of the local FL guys were even racing them at Gatorback and such during the WinterAMs and Gold Cup. Also, I used to own an RC bike from his 97 year at Splitfire PC that had the same rear caliper bracket/hanger on it. It's billet and has KXR97 engraved into it. I'd love to get some discussions rolling on what you guys think about this bike being linked to Stew or at the very least info on the rad parts.

|
AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
8/1/2017 11:37am
Hmmm. Special it appears. Lot's of visual similarities. Your bike does have O/S bars and mounts that the 259 didn't have. Any special markings on the engine parts?

The Shop

8/1/2017 1:37pm
AHRMA361 wrote:
Hmmm. Special it appears. Lot's of visual similarities. Your bike does have O/S bars and mounts that the 259 didn't have. Any special markings on the...
Hmmm. Special it appears. Lot's of visual similarities. Your bike does have O/S bars and mounts that the 259 didn't have. Any special markings on the engine parts?
I haven't noticed anything on the engine. My guess was majority of the trick parts were changed out they just left some of them on there. Stew ran twinwalls back then. I wouldn't expect it to have the original bars from 16yrs ago. I'll check the engine over again and look for stuff
8/1/2017 1:40pm
Dave #125 wrote:
Factory parts
Which parts? Do you think that's what those machined links are? I'm trying to build up some info on the bike before i start the rebuild/restore.
8/1/2017 4:35pm
Does it have an AMA sticker anywhere on it?

Its got quite a lot of PC parts on it to not be a PC bike.
8/2/2017 6:10am
Does it have an AMA sticker anywhere on it?

Its got quite a lot of PC parts on it to not be a PC bike.
It does not have an AMA sticker on it anymore, but there is a small spot where it looks like one could have been. It's the right size.

731chopper
Fantasy
355th
8/2/2017 7:22am
What year is the bike? I can't read the vin clearly. Those clamps are worth some money despite their condition. Is whats in the photo all you got with the bike? If the bike was ever one for Bubba it was probably a pc bike for 2001 as an amateur. That is my guess but it's impossible to prove anything without documentation.
Acidreamer
8/2/2017 9:23am
Cant say. Most of pro circuits bike parts are available to the public and tons of people do replica builds.
MR. X
8/2/2017 9:28am
Did pc weld the tabs on the frame for the skid plates or use those clamps?
RonJon
8/2/2017 9:42am
Looks like at least an old team green bike. Maybe one of Chiz's old bikes? I had one of Donnie McGourty's old bikes around that time and it was full of trick goodies from pro circuit. Wish I still had it....
rongi#401
8/2/2017 9:46am Edited Date/Time 8/2/2017 9:48am
it probly is an old pc bike, most of the teams swap out the suspention and the motor usually and leave the pipe on, i bought a metcalfe 125 and a smith 250f and they were basically stock bikes with used frames

oh and your from florida...your odds of it being a stewart bike just went sky rocketing up
twotwosix
8/2/2017 10:10am
RonJon wrote:
Looks like at least an old team green bike. Maybe one of Chiz's old bikes? I had one of Donnie McGourty's old bikes around that time...
Looks like at least an old team green bike. Maybe one of Chiz's old bikes? I had one of Donnie McGourty's old bikes around that time and it was full of trick goodies from pro circuit. Wish I still had it....
I was going to mention Chiz too. His Dad would know.
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3719th
8/2/2017 1:15pm Edited Date/Time 8/2/2017 1:18pm
It does not have an AMA sticker on it anymore, but there is a small spot where it looks like one could have been. It's the...
It does not have an AMA sticker on it anymore, but there is a small spot where it looks like one could have been. It's the right size.

That's not from AMA sticker that would be an Olympic powder coating sticker. That's who did all the pc bikes. They have a special blend of powder for their bikes. I sent my frame there and they did it exact! I'd say it's a good chance it may have been a stew bike. Those are khi linkage arms, braking oversized rotor on stock hubs. Your probably on to something about it being an amateur bike as it doesn't have khi hubs. Pro circuit did use just the kitted forks and shock on the practice bikes. It's hard to say. Does have some cool pieces and that wouldn't have been a replica bike someone just put together. Look around in the cylinder and inside the pv's and see if there is any engraving going. Also, pull the head and see if there is a brass ring machines into the top of it .
PRM31
8/2/2017 1:19pm Edited Date/Time 8/2/2017 1:21pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
What's the question?
He said; "I'd love to get some discussions rolling on what you guys think about this bike being linked to Stew or at the very least info on the rad parts." Was that confusing?

Some neat parts. Looks to have the basis for a nice rebuild.
8/2/2017 6:19pm
Awesome input guys, I appreciate the help! I'll try to answer all the questions with one post.
It's a rad find and I've been trying to get some 01 PC graphics for it. Anybody know an option there?
Dare Decals are great dudes but they can't replicate them without a set...so I had them reproduce the simple green kit for me. Always wanted a set so I may just save those for a future 02 build.
That's cool about the powder coating. I had a feeling that was something important. I poured over photos of 01 KX frames and nothing was there. The AMA sticker is less rectangular after I gave a second look.
I'm about 30min from the Stew compound. The bike is a 2001.
I think Kyle was still on small bikes, maybe not for schoolboy, at the time (and still faster than me he beat me and several times on his 80s), but Donnie was on the 125s at the time if not then that following year for sure. I almost bought one of his race bikes back in 02. At that time I was still kooking around in C class and just drooling over the PC team green bikes hucking the elevator at Gatorback. I was going to ask Kyle or his Dad next time I saw them.

It came as a full bike sans the brake caliper and a silencer. The plastics were ratty as hell. I'll give the engine a good once over when it gets all cleaned up. You can imagine how ratty the engine looks just by seeing the doodoo at the swingarm. The frame doesn't have any tabs welded for the skid just those hooks.
I'm stoked to get an answer on those linkage arms I thought it was inventing evidence by staring at blurry pics on the internet.
Keep it coming, thanks guys! Once I start the rebuild I'll put a nice build thread together with a shoutout to all you guys for being rad!
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3719th
8/2/2017 6:32pm
Stewart rode the B class at the world mini's on an 01 pc bike and lorettas. So who know me what all you got going on there. As far as 01 graphics. Good luck and if you fin an original set be prepared to pay big money for them. There is a kyb 2 piece shock on eBay for sale so that would be a start to the correct suspension.
8/3/2017 6:46am
I dug thru the box with the engine in it and found this PC cover for the cylinder. I still haven't cleaned the engine good to inspect for dremel marks.

9/2/2017 4:00pm
Does anyone know if it's common for PC to use pipe tags without stamped numbers like this one? I've been told they have replacement tags but the spot welds look original.
NATEP231
9/3/2017 5:10am
It's looking like it could be the lorettas bike

9/15/2017 3:02pm
With all the projects i have going on I would entertain offers on this bike. It's missing the rear brake caliper, but otherwise fairly complete. All the other parts are set aside for cleaning. Lots of hard to find PC parts on here and the KHI links are super rare.

Post a reply to: Possible Stewart Am bike. I need opinions

The Latest