Portland Oregon Moto

Related:
Create New Tag

8/17/2019 11:21 PM

Hi PNW locals,

I'm getting back into riding/racing after a 13-year hiatus from the sport and would love to find some of the local (to Portland) training spots outside of the paid-for tracks.

It seems there aren't that many practice days around here so I want to take it to the natural tracks/training spots that may exist.

Appreciate any DMs that may help lead me in the direction of these spots and hope to see some of you guys out riding.

-Chase

|

"OG" 2006 YZ250F
Kept my last race bike from my Intermediate days. Recently restored and updated summer-2019.

Gooning locally in the Portland, OR area.

8/18/2019 7:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2019 7:50 AM

Not a lot of practice days? There’s exactly one shit load of tracks over there I’d imagine there’s plenty of chances to ride through out the week.

Sorry, I don’t know of any free spots in that neck of the woods but I do know that you have some of the most badass tracks in your backyard!!

|

8/18/2019 8:11 AM

Mountain View Mx park(Tuesdays and weekends). Albany mx park(wednesday and maybe weekends?) Riverdale Mx(weekends) washougal(they will have weekend practices)

|

8/18/2019 8:55 AM

last time I checked riverdale will let you ride 7 days a week, just have to call.

|

8/18/2019 8:55 AM

Spudnut wrote:

Not a lot of practice days? There’s exactly one shit load of tracks over there I’d imagine there’s plenty of chances to ride through out the week.

Sorry, I don’t know of any free spots in that neck of the woods but I do know that you have some of the most badass tracks in your backyard!!

That's where the problem exists I need to find the free spots where I can manage my own time after work...most tracks are shutting down early or just wouldn't be worth the drive at 5 pm (as the light permits).

It could also be a function of where I grew up racing! I had 10+ tracks all within a 2-hour radius of Thousand Oaks, CA and could ride every day of the week. Excited to come back and establish a new knowledge of all the riding spots outside/inside the Portland area.

Stoked to check out the paid-for tracks, too. At first look, it just didn't seem like there were many practice days available on weekends.

|

"OG" 2006 YZ250F
Kept my last race bike from my Intermediate days. Recently restored and updated summer-2019.

8/18/2019 8:59 AM

NWmx756 wrote:

last time I checked riverdale will let you ride 7 days a week, just have to call.

Amazing. Great to know! Thank you.

|

"OG" 2006 YZ250F

8/18/2019 9:50 AM

Riverdale is a badass place they have 4 tracks to choose from and the owners are really nice people

Woodland is great during the winter too that’s one track I really look forward to this winter, sorry I couldn’t help on the free access spots though

|

8/18/2019 10:11 AM

Mt. View was always my favorite since I lived very close. Great track!, Woodland in winter. Lots of great riding around there

|

8/18/2019 11:13 AM

Thursday Night MX at PIR.

Riverdale you can go pretty much any day any time. Just contact the owners to schedule.
info@riverdaleraceway.com

If you start going to the tracks and meeting everyone I’m sure you can get in on some of the private tracks. I never made any turn tracks but using Google earth you can get creative. Jones Creek ORV in Camas WA is the closest riding to Portland. There’s some spots to cut in turn tracks, just need to commit and put in the time. I checked in out, just never put in the work.

|

8/18/2019 2:06 PM

It used to be so fun going up to put in motos at the sand tracks near Longview and Raineer, that was so fun in the winter. Big sand whoops and deep turns.

|

8/18/2019 2:19 PM

Yz229 wrote:

Mt. View was always my favorite since I lived very close. Great track!, Woodland in winter. Lots of great riding around there

Mt view is good for about 3 laps until it turns into a freeway and blue groove. Plus.. if the weather even hints at rain they cancel practice.

|

8/18/2019 2:45 PM

I'm very curious about this, too.
I know someone said riverdale is open all week, you just have to contact them, but does anyone know of any tracks open Monday, by chance?
My days off are Sunday/Monday and Sunday is a family day, which throws that out the window for riding and leaves me Monday only.

|

8/18/2019 3:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2019 3:50 PM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

Thursday Night MX at PIR.

Riverdale you can go pretty much any day any time. Just contact the owners to schedule.
info@riverdaleraceway.com

If you start going to the tracks and meeting everyone I’m sure you can get in on some of the private tracks. I never made any turn tracks but using Google earth you can get creative. Jones Creek ORV in Camas WA is the closest riding to Portland. There’s some spots to cut in turn tracks, just need to commit and put in the time. I checked in out, just never put in the work.

If your looking for seat time after work/evenings - Browns Camp/ Tillamook Forest OHV is easy to get to from PDX for a rip after work. Trails and single track- no moto track but endless miles of trail.

You can get info here http://tillamookstateforest.blogspot.com/p/ohv-trails.html

trail map - https://www.oregon.gov/ODF/Documents/Recreation/TillamookOHVGuide2014.pdf

Riverdale is pretty much it for a daily track- just gotta call ahead before you drive up.

|

8/18/2019 6:16 PM

I’m near Portland (and still new to it) and I’ll gladly rip with you somewhere, but I don’t have any inside knowledge on free spots. Not sure what you’re riding, but Washougal has a 125 Dream Race next weekend!

|

8/18/2019 9:07 PM

You can see the potenial but its all very different when you are in person because of new growth and downed trees from logging. Look under the power line areas I actually just found some tracks south east of that pin.
|

8/19/2019 1:07 PM

Hit me with a DM. I live in West Linn and ride twice a week as much as possible. Love to meet up and rip! Cheers!

|

8/19/2019 10:16 PM

IanMac138 wrote:

Hit me with a DM. I live in West Linn and ride twice a week as much as possible. Love to meet up and rip! Cheers!

I'm pulling the plug and leaving work early tomorrow. I'll be out at Mountain View around 3-3:30 pm. Going to be a quick session for me but I can't wait to get back on a track. If you're out there, keep an eye out for a white Ford and a '06 yz250f #16.

|

"OG" 2006 YZ250F

8/20/2019 7:19 AM

You really need to try and be riding MTV as soon as practice starts. Especially if it's warm and dry out. Have fun!

|

8/21/2019 10:53 PM

ob wrote:

You really need to try and be riding MTV as soon as practice starts. Especially if it's warm and dry out. Have fun!

I ended up riding at MTV on Tuesday. For my first time back in over 13-years I had a blast despite terrible riding fitness . The track was great and management seemed really awesome -- I will for sure be back.

I'm stoked to be getting back into this. Next up will be fitness, training, and more track time. See you guys out there and thanks for the comments.

|

"OG" 2006 YZ250F

8/22/2019 7:39 AM

The Portland moto scene is full of wanna be’s and hanger-ons that are desperate to be a part of the industry. Mt View is super cliquey as well.

Stick to Shoug and Horn.

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

8/22/2019 10:20 AM

ob wrote:

CKahmann wrote:

I ended up riding at MTV on Tuesday. For my first time back in over 13-years I had a blast despite terrible riding fitness . The track was great and management seemed really awesome -- I will for sure be back.

I'm stoked to be getting back into this. Next up will be fitness, training, and more track time. See you guys out there and thanks for the comments.

Looked like you had fun out there man! Towards the end of the day you were still plugging in laps, atleast it seemed.

I was on the pit bike track all day. Good times..

|

8/22/2019 10:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/22/2019 10:41 AM

CKahmann wrote:

I saw you out there with the wife and little girl. Get the girl some ear protection - she wasn't liking the noise.

Me and my boy were parked right behind you. Red Ford w/trailer. Husky 350 and KX85. Next time I'll say hi. Track was good - better prep and more line options than usual.

Washougal Open practice Saturday. We'll be there too.

Mike

|

8/22/2019 4:17 PM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

The Portland moto scene is full of wanna be’s and hanger-ons that are desperate to be a part of the industry. Mt View is super cliquey as well.

Stick to Shoug and Horn.

While I don't totally disagree why even care? Not exactly sure how a public track can be cliquey. They all have their inner circles to some extent but I haven't ever experienced issues with any of them and I been riding around here for a long ass time.........now private tracks is another matter. Those RTF boys for example are a bunch of redneck assholes who are always fully torqued.......

|

8/22/2019 6:14 PM

I'll be out riding open practice at Washougal and racing Sunday for the 125 dream race. DM and lets all say hi and hi-five. Cheers!

|

8/22/2019 6:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/22/2019 6:36 PM

Hit up Thursday Night Motocross at PIR. Still another month or so left of races. Good place to meet locals, some of which may have a private track.

https://www.thursdaynightmotocross.com/

You need to meet people (in person) to get invited to private tracks. It's a liability to let just any yahoo ride on your private track.

Albany Motorsports Park has a decent track. Wednesday afternoon practices. Sessions separated by age and skill.

Tillamook trails are a hoot if you want to get an easy day ride in. The dual-track stuff is somewhat motocrossy. Pin it.

Stay away from the dunes.

|

8/22/2019 7:03 PM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

Stick to Shoug and Horn.

Tracktor wrote:

While I don't totally disagree why even care? Not exactly sure how a public track can be cliquey. They all have their inner circles to some extent but I haven't ever experienced issues with any of them and I been riding around here for a long ass time.........now private tracks is another matter. Those RTF boys for example are a bunch of redneck assholes who are always fully torqued.......

He must not have any friends..... hope you guys are doing good. The kiddo looked good at shougal 125 race.

|

8/23/2019 9:14 AM

ob wrote:

CKahmann wrote:

Hammer 663s wrote:

I saw you out there with the wife and little girl. Get the girl some ear protection - she wasn't liking the noise.

Me and my boy were parked right behind you. Red Ford w/trailer. Husky 350 and KX85. Next time I'll say hi. Track was good - better prep and more line options than usual.

Mike

That’s awesome! I was curious if anyone from the forum would be there. I won’t be riding this weekend but will keep an eye out for you guys going forward. Thanks for letting me borrow the tire gauge — 14.5 was exactly the 13.5 I needed. Clearly I forgot a couple of things; gauge and ear protection both still on the workbench.

|

8/23/2019 9:17 AM

CKahmann wrote:

Hammer 663s wrote:

Mike

ckahmann16 wrote:

That’s awesome! I was curious if anyone from the forum would be there. I won’t be riding this weekend but will keep an eye out for you guys going forward. Thanks for letting me borrow the tire gauge — 14.5 was exactly the 13.5 I needed. Clearly I forgot a couple of things; gauge and ear protection both still on the workbench.

Oh Jeeze, clearly I found my old username from way back when. Logging out and logging back in with the new. But look at that bar drag photo when life at 17 was only about moto.

|

8/23/2019 11:30 AM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

Stick to Shoug and Horn.

Tracktor wrote:

mx216 wrote:

He must not have any friends..... hope you guys are doing good. The kiddo looked good at shougal 125 race.

Thanks he had a blast. I built that TC125 for his brother but Zach liked it so much we ended up having to get another. Adding a Keihin & STIC insert made the power just crazy. It's crazy what those metering blocks do. I rebuilt my 96 Cr125 for this weekend and put one in it be interesting to see how it runs now. Hope you are doing well if your up at Washougal keep an eye out for us.......

|

8/23/2019 12:52 PM

IanMac138 wrote:

I'll be out riding open practice at Washougal and racing Sunday for the 125 dream race. DM and lets all say hi and hi-five. Cheers!

I’ll see you Sunday and introduce myself!

|