Polishing Triple Clamps?

ianhendry46
Edited Date/Time 5/5/2012 1:23pm
I was thinking about polishing my stock triple clamps on my RMZ 450, top and bottom. I know it will be hard, but I have nothing but time(six months till I ride again.) I have one question though. What do you guys think I should use to do it?
|
5/3/2012 9:22pm
I was thinking about polishing my stock triple clamps on my RMZ 450, top and bottom. I know it will be hard, but I have nothing...
I was thinking about polishing my stock triple clamps on my RMZ 450, top and bottom. I know it will be hard, but I have nothing but time(six months till I ride again.) I have one question though. What do you guys think I should use to do it?
Don't polish your triple clamps.
4stroke4DWIN
5/3/2012 9:24pm
I was thinking about polishing my stock triple clamps on my RMZ 450, top and bottom. I know it will be hard, but I have nothing...
Yea don't do it, you'll have to eff with it all the time to keep the shine.
Cygnus
5/3/2012 9:35pm
One of those foam balls in your drill and mothers aluminum polish. Use a dremel or die grinder to remove the seams and then sand it all down to about 600 -1000 grit before the polishing ball. Don't listen to these guys. nothing is prettier than polished aluminum. If you really want to do it right have them powder coated with clear when shined up best you can.
Krazyk2774
5/3/2012 11:24pm
Cygnus wrote:
One of those foam balls in your drill and mothers aluminum polish. Use a dremel or die grinder to remove the seams and then sand it...
One of those foam balls in your drill and mothers aluminum polish. Use a dremel or die grinder to remove the seams and then sand it all down to about 600 -1000 grit before the polishing ball. Don't listen to these guys. nothing is prettier than polished aluminum. If you really want to do it right have them powder coated with clear when shined up best you can.
agreed , I wet sanded mine with 1200 grit and hand polished it with mothers and a rag. took a little time but i think she looks pretty sweet ! rode it all last year and it's still lookin good !

The Shop

Paul333
5/4/2012 5:55am
Cygnus wrote:
One of those foam balls in your drill and mothers aluminum polish. Use a dremel or die grinder to remove the seams and then sand it...
I agree.

I think it looks awesome. It's alot of work, but it's worth it.
newmann
5/4/2012 6:03am
A really nice brushed aluminum finish does it for me. Usually requires the part to be polished first then brushed/scuffed to a nice finish.
ianhendry46
5/4/2012 6:55am
Cygnus wrote:
Thanks man, sounds like some work, but like i said, I have time till I can ride again. I saw a set polished and loved it so i really want to do it. and keeping it all shined up doesnt really bother me, I take really good care ofmy bikes anyways so its just another something I dont mind doing.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
5/4/2012 8:13am
Six months.. shoot, tear down the whole bike and polish each piece, then post your bike when your done.
MtnBoy
5/4/2012 12:38pm
Moto_Geek wrote:
Six months.. shoot, tear down the whole bike and polish each piece, then post your bike when your done.
This
ianhendry46
5/4/2012 2:57pm
i dont think im going to do the whole bike, but the triple clamps and maybe a few other pieces. I have some good stuff planned for it before I get going again. Ill post pictures as it come along.
Hut
5/4/2012 5:27pm
Polished triple clamps anodized (yellow?) maybe. That sounds worth doing in your extended down time. Cool
NetMXer
5/4/2012 6:36pm Edited Date/Time 5/4/2012 6:37pm
Clean them real good with lacquer thinner first. A lot of the stock aluminum parts come with a clear coat on them. Stripping that off with lacquer thinner will save you some time with the buffing. After you've polished them, apply a clear coat to keep it looking good.
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
5/4/2012 7:06pm
Don't do it, its a squid thing to do... Everyone who rides half descent will laugh at you.
If you do it, please post photos and I will send you some free monster stickers and a helmet Mohawk.
Triton
5/4/2012 7:57pm
motokiwi wrote:
Don't do it, its a squid thing to do... Everyone who rides half descent will laugh at you. If you do it, please post photos and...
Don't do it, its a squid thing to do... Everyone who rides half descent will laugh at you.
If you do it, please post photos and I will send you some free monster stickers and a helmet Mohawk.
Totally.....

ianhendry46
5/4/2012 9:34pm
I actually saw them on the Yohimura Suzuki of Brett Metcalf and though that it didnt look bad. I agree with yall that too much polish is ugly as hell!!
ianhendry46
5/4/2012 9:41pm

I know that these are factory bikes and triple clamps but this is kind of what Im going for.
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
5/4/2012 9:46pm
If you are using standard cast triple clamps it will look much different and quite ugly because they dont go straight down at the sides, they kind of pop out a bit to the casting mark. Also Im pretty sure the finish will look different due to cast vs billet?
Its just my opinion tho, don't let me stop you, I respect customization of any kind at the end of the day...
ianhendry46
5/4/2012 9:48pm

here is another pic of his bike, I really dont think that it looks bad, i actually really like it. Even the Rockstar Suzuki bikes have polished triple clamps, theirs more polished than these, from what I could see in pictures.
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
5/4/2012 10:03pm
Standard (See cast marks and non square edges)

Billet:
ianhendry46
5/4/2012 10:42pm
Ah I see what you are saying. Someone on here was talking about sanding those cast marks away. Think it would work? and thanks for the comparison by the way.I guess if I do it, and dont like it, I can save up and get me some billet clamps lolUnsure
Cygnus
5/4/2012 10:47pm
Yes you want to sand the casting marks out. Same if you do stock hubs. It will look great. Don't worry about what anyone says. It is your bike. Do what you like. My bikes always looked great before the start of a race. I always figured I owed it to my sponsors to keep it as pretty as I could.
5/5/2012 12:47am
I used a linishing belt, round files and wetN dry to clean up and remove the casting marks on a set of stock 2001 CR250 clamps for a guy, then sent away with the linkage and other bits to be anodized black. One clamp came back sweet and the other a dull grey I think from memory. Anodize company said it was to do with magnesium content or something of the cast pieces which must have been different. Or they stuffed it and bull shitted me. So, got the dull one powder coated and he was happy. Just my experience with making pretty. I'd throw for a set of those so sweet and not so common XTRIG units myself.
MotoGuido
5/5/2012 1:58am
Do you have a bench grinder? I use an air tool with an aggressive scotch type abrasive pad to knock down the seams and rough surface from casting. Then hand sand from 600 grit wet/dry all the way up to 2000 if you really want that mirror shine. Then you need to buy at least 3 cotton buff wheels, and 3 polishing compounds. You can get this at home depot or harbor freight. You need emory, white rouge, and something else, I cant remember the damn names it's late. No need to sit there and work freakin polish on a rag that's retarded I don't understand why people will sit there and waste days doing that on like a whole damn frame. This shit can be done in moments. You just bare down on it and build up some heat on the part and the thing comes up mirror. Even with the most aggressive buff and rouge. This is how the pros do it and it's not expensive to set yourself up. This is an example of what you use. This is over the top of what you need, you can get this stuff dirt cheap at harbor freight if price is an issue. http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-buffing-kit.htmlhttp://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-buffing-kit.html

youtube is your friend for tthis kinda work too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyOodLNI4BQ

however this guy's yellow buff cuts out the need for the extra fine sanding but they are pricey. more ways to skin a cat but a rag and mothers would be torture on anything but the broad side of the frame spar. Good luck
ianhendry46
5/5/2012 9:37am
Cygnus wrote:
Yes you want to sand the casting marks out. Same if you do stock hubs. It will look great. Don't worry about what anyone says. It...
Yes you want to sand the casting marks out. Same if you do stock hubs. It will look great. Don't worry about what anyone says. It is your bike. Do what you like. My bikes always looked great before the start of a race. I always figured I owed it to my sponsors to keep it as pretty as I could.
Youre right man, thats it. IM GONNA DO IT!!Wink
Im the same way with my bike, I ALWAYS have the cleanest bike around, it doesnt matter if im riding the next day, my bike never goes up dirty, and all my riding buddies think im stupid as hell, but I take pride in my stuff and represent my sponsors very well. Heck, and another thing I just thought of, one of my sponsors is a machince shop, I can take them up there. BTW thanks for the encouragement
ianhendry46
5/5/2012 9:42am
MotoGuido wrote:
Do you have a bench grinder? I use an air tool with an aggressive scotch type abrasive pad to knock down the seams and rough surface...
Do you have a bench grinder? I use an air tool with an aggressive scotch type abrasive pad to knock down the seams and rough surface from casting. Then hand sand from 600 grit wet/dry all the way up to 2000 if you really want that mirror shine. Then you need to buy at least 3 cotton buff wheels, and 3 polishing compounds. You can get this at home depot or harbor freight. You need emory, white rouge, and something else, I cant remember the damn names it's late. No need to sit there and work freakin polish on a rag that's retarded I don't understand why people will sit there and waste days doing that on like a whole damn frame. This shit can be done in moments. You just bare down on it and build up some heat on the part and the thing comes up mirror. Even with the most aggressive buff and rouge. This is how the pros do it and it's not expensive to set yourself up. This is an example of what you use. This is over the top of what you need, you can get this stuff dirt cheap at harbor freight if price is an issue. http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-buffing-kit.htmlhttp://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-buffing-kit.html

youtube is your friend for tthis kinda work too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyOodLNI4BQ

however this guy's yellow buff cuts out the need for the extra fine sanding but they are pricey. more ways to skin a cat but a rag and mothers would be torture on anything but the broad side of the frame spar. Good luck
No sir, I dont, but I am going to use the air tool to sand it. I know you say there is no use in taking a lot of time, but honestly, Im out with an injury so this is really to kill time for me. But thanks for the links, I probablyvwill go get one of those kits as soon as I can start driving again. I really appreciate it. I think it will turn out really good.
Underdog999
5/5/2012 12:45pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2012/05/04/metcalfe1_866277.jpg[/img] here is another pic of his bike, I really dont think that it looks bad, i actually really like it. Even the Rockstar Suzuki bikes...

here is another pic of his bike, I really dont think that it looks bad, i actually really like it. Even the Rockstar Suzuki bikes have polished triple clamps, theirs more polished than these, from what I could see in pictures.
The Rockstar Suzuki triple clamps are made by Applied Racing. Why not just buy the clamps from them and just be done with it?
5/5/2012 1:23pm
Ive thought of doing the triple clamps as well.

I also think it would be cool to get the brake calipers brushed to give them a billet look also.

Post a reply to: Polishing Triple Clamps?

The Latest