Polaris Mx bike

Max Petro
Edited Date/Time 1/6/2021 8:58am
When will Polaris get into the bike game and go racing? Hopefully we have a PR 450F soon
|
rf928
12/30/2020 6:22pm
Yes because Polaris is so well known for durability and longevity compared to Japanese brands.
Jmicmoto13
12/30/2020 6:24pm
They have the means and supply chain, I just don't think they have the desire. Market isn't asking for it. Cool thought though.
RbR
12/30/2020 6:28pm Edited Date/Time 12/31/2020 1:02pm
Polaris is having fun with AFT, for now. Polaris held a significant stake in KTM in the early 2000's and even tried to buy a controlling stake, or maybe the whole thing, I don't recall exactly.

The Shop

7I3N
12/30/2020 6:32pm
They're making too much money selling flammable plastic cars. Don't hold your breath waiting for an MX bike. Wink
reded
12/30/2020 6:34pm
I don’t see a belt drive MX bike being very cool.
crusher773
12/30/2020 6:38pm
I'd think if they did they would brand it under Indian instead. Don't see it ever happening. That's how we got the KTM quads though.
xrmark
12/30/2020 6:50pm
crusher773 wrote:
I'd think if they did they would brand it under Indian instead. Don't see it ever happening. That's how we got the KTM quads though.
Always wondered about those ktm quads
de883zx
12/30/2020 7:52pm
Honestly Polaris makes a great sled Quad and SXS and made the SXS market what it is with the rzr. Bombardier made the can am spyder and it was a hit then came the sling shot by Polaris. This was years ago. Soon the show room floors were full of side by sides and spyders and sling shots. Gone we’re the GSXRs and the mx bikes. Skidoo Rev was the first mx bike of snowmobiles. Miss those days and I just missed landing on him.
early
Fantasy
2231st
12/30/2020 9:51pm
I wouldn't be surprised if the make and Indian 450 to run in the AFT Singles class.
12/31/2020 4:40am
Spudnut wrote:
When ktm buys them
Polaris is worth 3 times what KTM is, so I think that might be tough for KTM to pull off.
Tuna
12/31/2020 5:27am
Max Petro wrote:
When will Polaris get into the bike game and go racing? Hopefully we have a PR 450F soon
That would be a flaming pile of dog shit. The Chinese could make a better bike.
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
12/31/2020 6:20am
crusher773 wrote:
Not quite. Polaris used KTM engines but the MXR450 and the KTM 450XC were completely different everywhere else. The KTM actually made more power thanks to a better intake. Its too bad they only made them for 2 years. That was the best out of the box race quad ever built. I won a Canadian Pro-Am title on stock shocks with a stock motor racing against $30,000 Hondas
crowe660
Fantasy
4066th
12/31/2020 6:35am
I got to mob my in-laws new Razor around some northern Michigan snow covered seasonal roads last weekend and I can see why they’re so popular. I grew up driving in the snow and these things are a ton of fun sliding into corners. Unreal how fast they are as well. One day when I’m too old to ridr a dirt bike fast, I’m getting one for sure.
Spudnut
12/31/2020 7:33am
Spudnut wrote:
When ktm buys them
Polaris is worth 3 times what KTM is, so I think that might be tough for KTM to pull off.
It’s called sarcasm
skeef
Fantasy
1407th
12/31/2020 8:03am
Polaris owns Indian, I think the closest we will get to a dirt bike is a complete flat track bike similar to the FTR1200. We were close in the late 2000's before Harley bought Buell. Erik Buell had a concept of producing a modern era dirt bike. From what I have learned from the old dudes in the industry Erik Buell was a genious and an incredible engineer and designer. One of americas tresures in the industry.

12/31/2020 8:22am
Spudnut wrote:
When ktm buys them
Spudnut wrote:
It’s called sarcasm
Due to the fact that there were people on the board suggesting that KTM should buy Suzuki to “rescue” them, one can’t assume a poster has any knowledge of the powersports business on Vital.
FHKRacingZ
12/31/2020 10:58am
crusher773 wrote:
bh84 wrote:
Not quite. Polaris used KTM engines but the MXR450 and the KTM 450XC were completely different everywhere else. The KTM actually made more power thanks to...
Not quite. Polaris used KTM engines but the MXR450 and the KTM 450XC were completely different everywhere else. The KTM actually made more power thanks to a better intake. Its too bad they only made them for 2 years. That was the best out of the box race quad ever built. I won a Canadian Pro-Am title on stock shocks with a stock motor racing against $30,000 Hondas
The KTM quad was good but the engine was brittle and it was hard to get good hours out of a built one. The chromoly frame was the best part of the KTM 450MX. You may have won that title in the Canada, but you wouldn't of even qualified for Pro-Am Production or Pro-Am Unlimited in the states with a stock quad lol...

The XC version came with Ohlins while the MX version was a WP platform, so a good shock to start compared to the other 450 quads of the time..

I would think Can-Am might do something before Polaris, just due to their original 2-wheel roots. Although the Rotax 450 motors are a disaster and take an insane amount of work to be competitive.
FHKRacingZ
12/31/2020 11:01am
Max Petro wrote:
Tuna wrote:
The only flaming pile of dog shit is that opinion you just stated....

The amount of engineering that goes into a SXS compared to a mx bike is staggering. If you can engineer and mass manufacture a SXS that carries a 6-month warranty, you can do it with an mx bike...

Polaris just chooses not too, but to say they couldn't, is ridiculous.....
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
12/31/2020 11:44am Edited Date/Time 12/31/2020 12:03pm
FHKRacingZ wrote:
The KTM quad was good but the engine was brittle and it was hard to get good hours out of a built one. The chromoly frame...
The KTM quad was good but the engine was brittle and it was hard to get good hours out of a built one. The chromoly frame was the best part of the KTM 450MX. You may have won that title in the Canada, but you wouldn't of even qualified for Pro-Am Production or Pro-Am Unlimited in the states with a stock quad lol...

The XC version came with Ohlins while the MX version was a WP platform, so a good shock to start compared to the other 450 quads of the time..

I would think Can-Am might do something before Polaris, just due to their original 2-wheel roots. Although the Rotax 450 motors are a disaster and take an insane amount of work to be competitive.
Actually, I did race Pro-Am unlimited at Unadilla in 2012. I did pick up a set of Elkas though. Same stock motor, qualified and raced the main there. I didn’t win, but I didn’t get embarrassed either

Spudnut
12/31/2020 11:57am
Spudnut wrote:
It’s called sarcasm
Due to the fact that there were people on the board suggesting that KTM should buy Suzuki to “rescue” them, one can’t assume a poster has...
Due to the fact that there were people on the board suggesting that KTM should buy Suzuki to “rescue” them, one can’t assume a poster has any knowledge of the powersports business on Vital.
Good point 🤣
Tuna
12/31/2020 12:34pm Edited Date/Time 12/31/2020 12:38pm
Max Petro wrote:
Tuna wrote:
FHKRacingZ wrote:
The only flaming pile of dog shit is that opinion you just stated.... The amount of engineering that goes into a SXS compared to a mx...
The only flaming pile of dog shit is that opinion you just stated....

The amount of engineering that goes into a SXS compared to a mx bike is staggering. If you can engineer and mass manufacture a SXS that carries a 6-month warranty, you can do it with an mx bike...

Polaris just chooses not too, but to say they couldn't, is ridiculous.....
Their ATV’s are junk, their sleds average, their SXS’s are ok. Just because someone can does not mean they do. If they were so great why are they still turning out so many marginal products they have to discount to sell. We all have opinions, it’s ok that you don’t agree with mine. You don’t need to nor do I give a shit. Sorry I hurt your feelings😂
user760a
12/31/2020 12:44pm
every time I work on a Polaris quad, I am amazed that anyone would buy one over a japanese machine.
reded
12/31/2020 7:04pm
user760a wrote:
every time I work on a Polaris quad, I am amazed that anyone would buy one over a japanese machine.
I’m in the same boat and then one of my friends will buy one, only to ask me what I think of it. They normally hate my answer...
Undersprung
12/31/2020 7:44pm
FHKRacingZ wrote:
The KTM quad was good but the engine was brittle and it was hard to get good hours out of a built one. The chromoly frame...

bh84 wrote:
Actually, I did race Pro-Am unlimited at Unadilla in 2012. I did pick up a set of Elkas though. Same stock motor, qualified and raced the...
Actually, I did race Pro-Am unlimited at Unadilla in 2012. I did pick up a set of Elkas though. Same stock motor, qualified and raced the main there. I didn’t win, but I didn’t get embarrassed either

I finally signed up for this stupid thing just because this is one of the best owns I've seen on the internet.
Tuna
1/1/2021 4:18am
FHKRacingZ wrote:

bh84 wrote:
Actually, I did race Pro-Am unlimited at Unadilla in 2012. I did pick up a set of Elkas though. Same stock motor, qualified and raced the...

I finally signed up for this stupid thing just because this is one of the best owns I've seen on the internet.
Pretty good wasn’t it?
Jmicmoto13
1/1/2021 6:37am
FHKRacingZ wrote:

bh84 wrote:

Lol man, this deserves an award. Talk about putting your balls on the table. Master level response.
Jmicmoto13
1/1/2021 6:39am
skeef wrote:
Polaris owns Indian, I think the closest we will get to a dirt bike is a complete flat track bike similar to the FTR1200. We were...
Polaris owns Indian, I think the closest we will get to a dirt bike is a complete flat track bike similar to the FTR1200. We were close in the late 2000's before Harley bought Buell. Erik Buell had a concept of producing a modern era dirt bike. From what I have learned from the old dudes in the industry Erik Buell was a genious and an incredible engineer and designer. One of americas tresures in the industry.

Now that is great insight. I love that stuff. And I've heard the same about Erik. Was so smart he left Harley and did his own thing. But unfortunately, like a ton of geniuses, he couldn't run the business portion of the equation at a high level. Still a big fan of who he is and what he's done.
1/1/2021 3:12pm
The number of motorcycle brands is dropping, not growing. There is a reason.

Do you even understand what KTM is doing? Financing for aquisition is incredibly cheap right now due to a worldwide glut of capital. So they are buying up struggling legacy brands (Husky, now GasGas) and consolidating manufacturing and design for economies of scale. The base engineering design is homogonized across brands, with minor differences for marketing (color, accessories, tuning) but essentially the bikes are 95% identical from a mass mfg perspective. Think of the classic Detroit model in cars (Ford, Lincoln, Mercury....all the same underlying vehicles).

I do not think you understand the underlying economics of mfg and what is going on right now.

Post a reply to: Polaris Mx bike

The Latest