Polar HRM

3/10/2017 1:10pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2021 9:54pm
Did a search for Polar on this forum and saw some threads about hrm's and in particular Polar. I thought I would create a profile and assist with any questions. I am very fortunate to be in position to provide the Polar units you see on Sat nights for the 250/450 SX riders and trainers. Happy to answer any questions about our units and what they use and why.
|
Motofinne
3/10/2017 1:34pm
I have the M200. It's my first HRM and i'm happy with it.

But when will we see an actual motocross "mode" for it? I mean there are so many other obscene sports that i would assume we could get our in there.
bsharkey
3/10/2017 1:48pm Edited Date/Time 3/10/2017 1:50pm
I have a polar m400. Love it. I use it with my kid alot. The battery lasts forever too before you have to charge it. The only thing I found is a little Annoying with it is the constant updates all the time but that's really not that big a deal. You can sync with a Garmin too for roadbike ng as well. It has Many uses. Waterproof etc
mx510
Fantasy
1861st
3/10/2017 2:16pm
I have a Polar M400 with heart rate monitor as well. I love it. Racing last year it got roosted and hit with a rock breaking it. The wife got me a new one for Christmas, it wouldn't sync to my pc. Polar ended up sending me a new one almost no questions asked. Great product, good customer service. I now put the watch on my crossbar pad hoping the face wont get roosted.
rhargrave431
3/10/2017 3:35pm
Hey thanks for doing this. I'm in the market for a new heart rate monitor watch. I do a lot of cycling and running. I am a paramedic, so I need an actual watch. My question for you is, for the average weekend warrior, is the m400 the right fit, or is it too much of a watch? Thank you

The Shop

cable
3/10/2017 3:40pm
how do you keep the strap from falling down?
Bruce372
3/10/2017 3:53pm
How do I change the battery on my rs100 and keep it water proof?
hvaughn88
3/10/2017 4:11pm
cable wrote:
Bigger gut, duh
racerx217
3/10/2017 4:41pm
I have a older ft7 and have a real hard time getting it to sync up. Is there a trick?
adamdf
3/10/2017 4:50pm
I have a Polar H7 strap but it will no longer sync with my Iphone 7 for some reason. ANy ideas?
flymoto
3/10/2017 5:08pm
Awesome products! I have a m400 with the h7. Use it most days for my training, it's co how you can go a breakdown of all you're sessions, distances and times etc!

Anyway, so I'm sure I have seen dung and a few others running the a300, why this over the m400 (they are the same size) or the v800 (which is a little bulkier I guess)? Do they not use gps and solely run the watches while training just to monitor heart rates and times? I have found the gps while riding Mx to be un accurate at speed, however I'm not too fussed, it still works perfectly cycling etc. Are you planning on fetching a new model to the m400 out with some more features?

And 2 more things while I'm here, the v650 cycling computer, make it so it has got a decent navigation system on, and maps like the garmins. Only thing from stopping me buying one. Also the polar fitness scales, add a measurement for stones and in the UK we don't really work in ibs and kg!

Looks like you have a few questions to answer already, sorry for the long winded post!
wsc96
Fantasy
553rd
3/10/2017 7:08pm
As above, are the pros using the GPS, anyone having luck with strapless HRM models and what's stopping more actuate or frequent GPS data logging to compete with LITPro for lap times and line selection features?
TallonT911
3/10/2017 8:59pm
adamdf wrote:
I have a Polar H7 strap but it will no longer sync with my Iphone 7 for some reason. ANy ideas?
I have 2 H7 straps with fresh batteries that won't pair up to my phone or A300 watch.

Not bashing, they have both worked great in the past and then both quit working around the same time, got new batteries, tried the app and still wouldn't.
Motoxdoc
3/11/2017 2:00am
cable wrote:
This was my fix for that problem. First I added the "bra" straps; I sewed them at each end of the rubber "pick-up" material on the front and a little closer to each other on the back side. That wasn't good enough as the bra straps would fall off my shoulder; so I added the lucas oil strap. I sewed that to one of the bra straps, and on other side I sewed on small velcro tabs so I could wrap it around the other bra strap and attach it to itself. The first few times it took awhile to untangle it and figure out how it goes back on......but now it could be tied in a knot and I can figure it out easily. It'll stay in place for MX no problem! The best thing about it is that it lifts and separates!

Markee
Fantasy
2006th
3/11/2017 8:22am
I have the M400

Can you create other workout profiles other than the stock ,Other indoor, Other outdoor (GPS), Cycling (GPS) and Running (GPS)?

Would be nice to create a profile just for Motocross.
3/11/2017 10:37am Edited Date/Time 3/11/2017 10:38am
Markee wrote:
I have the M400 Can you create other workout profiles other than the stock ,Other indoor, Other outdoor (GPS), Cycling (GPS) and Running (GPS)? Would be...
I have the M400

Can you create other workout profiles other than the stock ,Other indoor, Other outdoor (GPS), Cycling (GPS) and Running (GPS)?

that's possible on their website https://flow.polar.com/settings/sports . You can also decide on what the watch displays. Just sync the watch after that and it's done! (They don't have a specific Motocross profile yet but that's not very important since you can decide on what data the watch shows in any other profile)
Markee
Fantasy
2006th
3/11/2017 10:57am
Markee wrote:
I have the M400 Can you create other workout profiles other than the stock ,Other indoor, Other outdoor (GPS), Cycling (GPS) and Running (GPS)? Would be...
I have the M400

that's possible on their website https://flow.polar.com/settings/sports . You can also decide on what the watch displays. Just sync the watch after that and it's done! (They...
that's possible on their website https://flow.polar.com/settings/sports . You can also decide on what the watch displays. Just sync the watch after that and it's done! (They don't have a specific Motocross profile yet but that's not very important since you can decide on what data the watch shows in any other profile)
Says I need a V800 for that.
3/11/2017 1:01pm
Thanks everyone for the comments and questions. Just a few points , I do not ride, so I have no idea about arm pump, wearing protective gear, my 20 minute "Main" is my tempo runs preparing for running races, I'm a former Tri guy who trains to race running races and age group podium in a sense. I'm a huge fan of your sport and since I do not ride, love SX and like MX. I was introduced to Aldon during the RV era. Naturally this lead to his next four riders and when KR94 left the factory, we eventually connected and brought him back into the Polar support. Naturally a relationship with Aldon lead to the TLD GoPro KTM 250 riders and Tyla. The RV era lead to a current relationship with Monster Kawi's 450 and ET3 is with us and all four PC Kawi 250 riders. CR22 and Davi are on Polar, so it is a privilege to work for a company where great athletes use our devices and have some access to them. I do not know how they use their units, we are just a training tool they elect to use, but I have good insight on what the top guys use and why. I'll try to answer in order.
I have communicated with our global segment managers for a MX sports profile. I provided screen grabs and already addressed this. Fighting your fight.

The M400 will be ideal for your needs off your MX bike. GPS wrist units will not replace a Litpro. The Litpro samples many more times a second than a wrist device for running or road cycling. Polar has a new Team Pro transmitter which is not available to consumers and that matches a Litpro. If you are running consecutive laps, look at your HR data, the GPS tracking will be all over the place.

Slipping strap... You can try turning the strap around so the sensor is on your back, it will pick up the heart rate. I know the pro's have no tricks. The homemade bra is creative Smile

RS100.... The only tip I can give is when you take the back cover off and replace the battery, reset the gasket which will probably be stuck to the back cover plate. We have a chamber to test the seal , so you still are running a risk, but the gasket tip is a good one Smile

FT 7. How old is the strap and battery? If the strap is older than 1.5 years old, you might need a new strap. If you change the battery and place your two thumbs on the snaps, it will send a HR signal without wearing it, so this is a tip to see if it is the H1 sensor or the strap.

H7 to iPhone. Remove the battery for a few minutes to let the H7 drain and when you place the battery back in,it will sort of reboot the H7. See the above tip. Just a FYI, when you are done training I snap off th transmitter and hand wash the strap and hang to dry, less is better. I have never put it in a machine and always hang to dry. I bring the strap into the shower and wash it there.

V800/M400/A300.
We do not provide the V800 to athletes not doing triathlons, period/stop!! The V800 has some nice features but mainly it has a true triathlon sports profile, vibrates but not anything to really benefit a SX/MX rider. So we started Aldon with M400's thinking they might need GPS. Since you guys go down once in awhile, we were receiving some banged up watches. After a discussion with Aldon, we agreed his guys need GPS for bike riding, use heart rate for the MX training and Litpro for GPS. Bluetooth only syncs with one device so if the Polar was turned on first , it received the Polar H7 signal. The Polar H7 actually sends out two HR frequencies , Bluetooth and 5khz( the one you see on a treadmill). We had to educate The Factory and even Litpro at MetLife about Bluetooth. The A300 is the unit you see on Shane M and others. When we get requests for product support from the pro's , they get A300's because that is what Aldon gets and with respect to Aldon, he has supported Polar for many decades. When Barcia went to JGR, I sent a text to Aldon and said I did not provide it. This is important when you have a long term partnership and trust. I am sure you all saw various episodes of Chasing the Dream last year, well wearing a Polar shirt with Feld filming at the factory is the greatest thank you and this is why we proudly support his needs, he gives back as well as others in the sport. We suggest the M450 for cycling needs, it follows the same platform as the A300,M400 and V800.

Strapless... Nobody uses strapless. OHR or optical heart rate needs blood flow. OHR techlogogy essentially is taking snapshots of your blood being pumped and it is not ideal for tight gripping sports. Your Saturday night podium guys all use the strap and it does not bother them. Arm pump might be a clue about tight gripping, something I have not experienced but could imagine it would not help OHR technology.

Sports Profile.... Log into your Polar Flow account. When you see your name in the top right corner, highlight it and you will see Sports Profile, click on it and you will see many options. Due to the physical nature of MX , I would select mtn biking but once again, I made a MX suggestion.

Hope this helps with some Q&A and trouble shooting, if not post more m
3/11/2017 1:18pm
Markee wrote:
Says I need a V800 for that.
Really? then I don't know, worked fine for my m400
wsc96
Fantasy
553rd
3/11/2017 4:40pm
Thanks Wayne. Great information!
3/11/2017 5:44pm
Thanks everyone for the comments and questions. Just a few points , I do not ride, so I have no idea about arm pump, wearing protective...
Thanks everyone for the comments and questions. Just a few points , I do not ride, so I have no idea about arm pump, wearing protective gear, my 20 minute "Main" is my tempo runs preparing for running races, I'm a former Tri guy who trains to race running races and age group podium in a sense. I'm a huge fan of your sport and since I do not ride, love SX and like MX. I was introduced to Aldon during the RV era. Naturally this lead to his next four riders and when KR94 left the factory, we eventually connected and brought him back into the Polar support. Naturally a relationship with Aldon lead to the TLD GoPro KTM 250 riders and Tyla. The RV era lead to a current relationship with Monster Kawi's 450 and ET3 is with us and all four PC Kawi 250 riders. CR22 and Davi are on Polar, so it is a privilege to work for a company where great athletes use our devices and have some access to them. I do not know how they use their units, we are just a training tool they elect to use, but I have good insight on what the top guys use and why. I'll try to answer in order.
I have communicated with our global segment managers for a MX sports profile. I provided screen grabs and already addressed this. Fighting your fight.

The M400 will be ideal for your needs off your MX bike. GPS wrist units will not replace a Litpro. The Litpro samples many more times a second than a wrist device for running or road cycling. Polar has a new Team Pro transmitter which is not available to consumers and that matches a Litpro. If you are running consecutive laps, look at your HR data, the GPS tracking will be all over the place.

Slipping strap... You can try turning the strap around so the sensor is on your back, it will pick up the heart rate. I know the pro's have no tricks. The homemade bra is creative Smile

RS100.... The only tip I can give is when you take the back cover off and replace the battery, reset the gasket which will probably be stuck to the back cover plate. We have a chamber to test the seal , so you still are running a risk, but the gasket tip is a good one Smile

FT 7. How old is the strap and battery? If the strap is older than 1.5 years old, you might need a new strap. If you change the battery and place your two thumbs on the snaps, it will send a HR signal without wearing it, so this is a tip to see if it is the H1 sensor or the strap.

H7 to iPhone. Remove the battery for a few minutes to let the H7 drain and when you place the battery back in,it will sort of reboot the H7. See the above tip. Just a FYI, when you are done training I snap off th transmitter and hand wash the strap and hang to dry, less is better. I have never put it in a machine and always hang to dry. I bring the strap into the shower and wash it there.

V800/M400/A300.
We do not provide the V800 to athletes not doing triathlons, period/stop!! The V800 has some nice features but mainly it has a true triathlon sports profile, vibrates but not anything to really benefit a SX/MX rider. So we started Aldon with M400's thinking they might need GPS. Since you guys go down once in awhile, we were receiving some banged up watches. After a discussion with Aldon, we agreed his guys need GPS for bike riding, use heart rate for the MX training and Litpro for GPS. Bluetooth only syncs with one device so if the Polar was turned on first , it received the Polar H7 signal. The Polar H7 actually sends out two HR frequencies , Bluetooth and 5khz( the one you see on a treadmill). We had to educate The Factory and even Litpro at MetLife about Bluetooth. The A300 is the unit you see on Shane M and others. When we get requests for product support from the pro's , they get A300's because that is what Aldon gets and with respect to Aldon, he has supported Polar for many decades. When Barcia went to JGR, I sent a text to Aldon and said I did not provide it. This is important when you have a long term partnership and trust. I am sure you all saw various episodes of Chasing the Dream last year, well wearing a Polar shirt with Feld filming at the factory is the greatest thank you and this is why we proudly support his needs, he gives back as well as others in the sport. We suggest the M450 for cycling needs, it follows the same platform as the A300,M400 and V800.

Strapless... Nobody uses strapless. OHR or optical heart rate needs blood flow. OHR techlogogy essentially is taking snapshots of your blood being pumped and it is not ideal for tight gripping sports. Your Saturday night podium guys all use the strap and it does not bother them. Arm pump might be a clue about tight gripping, something I have not experienced but could imagine it would not help OHR technology.

Sports Profile.... Log into your Polar Flow account. When you see your name in the top right corner, highlight it and you will see Sports Profile, click on it and you will see many options. Due to the physical nature of MX , I would select mtn biking but once again, I made a MX suggestion.

The polar won't track your gas position accurately? Is that right? My tomtom spark does, but it doesn't have a gps position based lap timer which I believe one of the garmin watches does. If you have something that will do the job let me know so I can check it out, otherwise I will probably get the garmin soon.
3/12/2017 7:37am
I am not sure what "gas position" means but further reading leads me to think an auto lap type of feature? The Polar V800 has auto lap and the parameters you can set is mileage based, ideal for running or if you are trail riding(??) have it record and beep/vibrate which I assume you would not hear or feel or location based. This feature is probably what you would want on a track and have your start /finish line marked. As you pass the S/F line it will automatically record a lap which you can later view on the watch and download to your phone at the parking lot and view better.
flymoto
3/12/2017 8:28am
Thanks everyone for the comments and questions. Just a few points , I do not ride, so I have no idea about arm pump, wearing protective...

V800/M400/A300.

The polar won't track your gas position accurately? Is that right? My tomtom spark does, but it doesn't have a gps position based lap timer which...
The polar won't track your gas position accurately? Is that right? My tomtom spark does, but it doesn't have a gps position based lap timer which I believe one of the garmin watches does. If you have something that will do the job let me know so I can check it out, otherwise I will probably get the garmin soon.
I tried to use the gps for riding, didn't work all that well. While it did pick up speed, on the maps it was very vague and had squiggles everywhere, no were near accurate enough to do analyse anything. How well does the Tom Tom work?
flymoto
3/12/2017 8:29am
Not bashing the polar it's a great training tool. I just think the speed is too much for it.
PFitzG38
3/12/2017 8:41am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2017 8:46am
You sew a strap from the front to back over your shoulder on both sides like a bra. Solves the problem. How does anyone keep the step from falling to your stomach when exercising otherwise?
Hated that

Just saw my bro beat to it
spd721
3/12/2017 8:53am
I have the the M400 and love it. I just wish the GPS didn't drain the battery. I wore it for a 4 hour hike a few weeks ago and it was almost dead by the end of the hike. Lately the battery doesn't seem to want to hold a charge but hopefully the new update will fix that.
3/12/2017 1:30pm Edited Date/Time 3/13/2018 2:34pm
spd721 wrote:
I have the the M400 and love it. I just wish the GPS didn't drain the battery. I wore it for a 4 hour hike a...
I have the the M400 and love it. I just wish the GPS didn't drain the battery. I wore it for a 4 hour hike a few weeks ago and it was almost dead by the end of the hike. Lately the battery doesn't seem to want to hold a charge but hopefully the new update will fix that.
Assuming it was fully charged and you only had 4hrs of battery life, I would consider sending it into New York where most repairs happen, especially warranty repairs. Consider using this link to document what is wrong or concerns you and print it out and include it. https://service.polar.com/service/PSCSPreReg.nsf/Starting?openForm

3/12/2017 1:56pm
I am not sure what "gas position" means but further reading leads me to think an auto lap type of feature? The Polar V800 has auto...
I am not sure what "gas position" means but further reading leads me to think an auto lap type of feature? The Polar V800 has auto lap and the parameters you can set is mileage based, ideal for running or if you are trail riding(??) have it record and beep/vibrate which I assume you would not hear or feel or location based. This feature is probably what you would want on a track and have your start /finish line marked. As you pass the S/F line it will automatically record a lap which you can later view on the watch and download to your phone at the parking lot and view better.
That was meant to be gps sorry.
3/12/2017 2:00pm
I am not sure what "gas position" means but further reading leads me to think an auto lap type of feature? The Polar V800 has auto...
No the tomtom has that too but because you take different lines around the track each lap the length of the laps changes. There are free phone apps that do it (gps position based lap timing) but I don't like to carry my phone on the track, it would be great to have that feature on a watch.
3/12/2017 2:03pm

V800/M400/A300.

The polar won't track your gas position accurately? Is that right? My tomtom spark does, but it doesn't have a gps position based lap timer which...
flymoto wrote:
I tried to use the gps for riding, didn't work all that well. While it did pick up speed, on the maps it was very vague...
I tried to use the gps for riding, didn't work all that well. While it did pick up speed, on the maps it was very vague and had squiggles everywhere, no were near accurate enough to do analyse anything. How well does the Tom Tom work?
The tomtom is good, I will upload a screenshot of a map from on of my rides when I get a chance.
wsc96
Fantasy
553rd
3/12/2017 2:14pm
I had the autolap feature by GPS on my Garmin 310xt. I'd be surprised if that doesn't exist on the Polar devices? Maybe it's just a terminology thing…

Post a reply to: Polar HRM

The Latest