Point(s) to Consider about Dungey

Edited Date/Time 1/23/2012 8:27pm
Currently in 3rd place just 7 points out of the lead after last weekend's Dallas SX, Dungey's extremely rare thrown chain back at Anaheim II must seem to loom like an even larger "what if" to himself, his team and all of his fans and supporters at this point in the series.

However consider this: out of the 13 rounds run so far, Dungey has finished within one second of the rider in front of him 4 separate times.

He finished 5th to Reed in Phoenix missing out on 2 points.
2nd in Houston to Canard losing out on 3 points.
4th in Indianapolis to Reed again missing 2 more points.
And 3rd this past weekend in Dallas to Villopoto, missing out on another 2 points.

That's 9 points overall that Dungey has left on the table so far this season that unlike his mechanical DNF, were completely within his opportunity and control. This past weekend's inability to get back around Villopoto after getting tangled with a lapper, but then catching back up and pressuring Poto for the last couple of laps, represents a 4 point swing in the points lead right there.

Obviously Dungey is fast. His wire to wire victory in Toronto the other weekend leave's no doubt. So what's going on then? Why has he finished right up on the back tire of the rider in front of him in nearly one quarter of the races run so far this year? Is he too nice and not aggressive enough with his passing? Do the other riders "have his number" as far as their ability to cover his passing attempts? Or in Fro's terminology, does he not "want it bad enough"?

Please discuss. -Neil
|
motosmith
4/4/2011 1:04pm
A couple of races ago he could have punted Reed off the track on the last lap but didn't do it. That one confused me.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
4/4/2011 1:05pm
I think it's the opposite. Those races he was charging hard and I think it shows how much he wants it that he charges to the end. The dallas incident wasn't his fault when he tangled with Byrne but he sure was coming on RV strong at the end. A couple more laps and he would've had him.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
4/4/2011 1:31pm
Then there's the four points he picked up in Atlanta when Reed and Stewart were going at it.

It's why they run all the races...

The Shop

DoctorJD
4/4/2011 1:41pm
motosmith wrote:
A couple of races ago he could have punted Reed off the track on the last lap but didn't do it. That one confused me.
RD had Stewart set up perfectly on lap 3 at Dallas and backed off. James even looked like he'd conceded the pass. RD has the speed, he simply doesn't have the killer instinct. I really like the kid, and I'm pulling for him, but the rest of these boys in the points battle have no problem getting physical, if RD is going to play on the same playground, he needs to get mean.
motosmith
4/4/2011 1:47pm
motosmith wrote:
DoctorJD wrote:
RD had Stewart set up perfectly on lap 3 at Dallas and backed off. James even looked like he'd conceded the pass. RD has the speed...
RD had Stewart set up perfectly on lap 3 at Dallas and backed off. James even looked like he'd conceded the pass. RD has the speed, he simply doesn't have the killer instinct. I really like the kid, and I'm pulling for him, but the rest of these boys in the points battle have no problem getting physical, if RD is going to play on the same playground, he needs to get mean.
I agree.

Canard seems like a nice guy but even he has no problem taking people out if necessary.
kiwifan
4/4/2011 1:49pm
I think Dungey's speed a perhaps a notch below Poto, Reed, JS and TC...but he does turn consistent laps and never riders over his head, definitely not the risky rider that say JS is
pilotdude
4/4/2011 1:49pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2011 1:51pm
motosmith wrote:
DoctorJD wrote:
RD had Stewart set up perfectly on lap 3 at Dallas and backed off. James even looked like he'd conceded the pass. RD has the speed...
I watched that happen also and was bummed but not surprised. He is not a killer. Carmichael, Reed, Stewart, all killers. Villopoto was a killer but seems like he is moderating. I hope not too much.
4/4/2011 2:16pm
GuyB wrote:
Then there's the four points he picked up in Atlanta when Reed and Stewart were going at it.

It's why they run all the races...
I hear you GuyB and I certainly appreciate why they run all the races. I can also appreciate the natural "ebb and flow" of good luck in racing (i.e. the Atlanta incident). However the point I was trying to illustrate has less to do with being the recipient of a few points here, and losing out on a couple of points there. Rather, I was trying to start a discussion specifically on Ryan Dungey's agonizingly close finishes to the rider in front of him in several instances so far this year.

I like Dungey. I think he's a great representative for our sport and has been an excellent defending champion for our series. I've also been a little puzzled (and slightly frustrated) at the number of times he's come up "ever so short" so far this year.

Here's another way to look at it. Aside from the Atlanta incident where he just beat out Reed and Stewart (who arguably were much more concerned with each other), Dungey has yet to beat out anyone to finish line by fewer than 2 seconds so far this year. In other words, Dungey is 0 for 4 so far this season in the gritty, man to man battles that perhaps ultimately will help decide this championship. Is this just a coincidence? Perhaps. Maybe it's the sign of a trend. I don't know. That is what I was trying to start a discussion around.

-Neil
kopfjaeger
4/4/2011 2:51pm
A tad more aggression needed....been saying it all year....he can catch em but doesn't push the issue to pass...this weekend i thought maybe it was the slick clay holding him back for fear of sliding it out again or losing the front end.....It may pay off for him though...
4/4/2011 4:00pm
Maybe Dungey simply is not willing to trade a little paint?
He could be using the strategy that he will ride fast but stay out of harms way in hopes of others making big mistakes? Seems to be working in his favor, Stewart has been on the ground every race since Atlanta, RV failed to make a main, both Reed and TC have been hit and miss. He will need to win some more though and that could be the downfall, or he could be in striking distance in Vegas and surprise everyone with a take out that no one sees coming?
Flatliner
4/4/2011 4:35pm
kiwifan wrote:
I think Dungey's speed a perhaps a notch below Poto, Reed, JS and TC...but he does turn consistent laps and never riders over his head, definitely...
I think Dungey's speed a perhaps a notch below Poto, Reed, JS and TC...but he does turn consistent laps and never riders over his head, definitely not the risky rider that say JS is
I don't honestly.

IMO he's as fast as anyone on the track, wastes very little energy, and is least likely to wad up out of the group you just mentioned.

If anything, it appears at least watching it on tv, he should charge more the first 5 laps.
Rizzo
4/4/2011 10:32pm
Points to consider of the "Big 5" not just Dungey. All of them except Reed have had a catastrophic throwaway race. Heck, even the "little 5" have experienced the same.

1 RV obviously DNQ at Jax,
2 Reed Dallas his worst week 13 points and despite the "racing incidents", his damage control is stellar.
3 Dungey lost his chain and DNF A2
4 Canard first lap in 20th on the ground. Scored only 8 points at Daytona
5 Stewart DNF Jax.
6 Short DNF Indy
7 Windham 5 points total in Phx, Houston, SD
8 Brayton Jax DNF, he could also use a do-over at A1 or Oak.
9 Millsaps Dallas DNF
10 Tedesco LA or Indy, pick one.
11 Wey Top 10 3 races in a row breaks into top 10 overall, DNF Dallas, loses one spot

If this season was "Supercross the Movie" you would be yelling at the TV "yea right, this would never happen in SX, nobody is going to believe this script."
Dungey is no different than the rest of the group in terms of "leaving something on the table" , they have all had similar trials and tribulations. Dungey has a legit chance, but Reed is calm and cool, RV is confident and relentless, TC is hot and there is no pressure and JS is.......well, JS. Vegas is going to be "on", please, no injuries for anyone and no outdoor testing till May 9th.
TDeath21
4/4/2011 10:43pm
Rizzo wrote:
Points to consider of the "Big 5" not just Dungey. All of them except Reed have had a catastrophic throwaway race. Heck, even the "little 5"...
Points to consider of the "Big 5" not just Dungey. All of them except Reed have had a catastrophic throwaway race. Heck, even the "little 5" have experienced the same.

1 RV obviously DNQ at Jax,
2 Reed Dallas his worst week 13 points and despite the "racing incidents", his damage control is stellar.
3 Dungey lost his chain and DNF A2
4 Canard first lap in 20th on the ground. Scored only 8 points at Daytona
5 Stewart DNF Jax.
6 Short DNF Indy
7 Windham 5 points total in Phx, Houston, SD
8 Brayton Jax DNF, he could also use a do-over at A1 or Oak.
9 Millsaps Dallas DNF
10 Tedesco LA or Indy, pick one.
11 Wey Top 10 3 races in a row breaks into top 10 overall, DNF Dallas, loses one spot

If this season was "Supercross the Movie" you would be yelling at the TV "yea right, this would never happen in SX, nobody is going to believe this script."
Dungey is no different than the rest of the group in terms of "leaving something on the table" , they have all had similar trials and tribulations. Dungey has a legit chance, but Reed is calm and cool, RV is confident and relentless, TC is hot and there is no pressure and JS is.......well, JS. Vegas is going to be "on", please, no injuries for anyone and no outdoor testing till May 9th.
And all of those were at least partly in the rider's control except for Dungey's chain derailment. Reed's race at Dallas was pretty much out of his control as well, as was Metcalfe crashing in front of Canard in Daytona. If you told me this is how the season would be with 4 rounds to go in December, I would have said move over 06, this is the real "Perfect Storm"
Rizzo
4/4/2011 11:06pm
TDeath21 wrote:
And all of those were at least partly in the rider's control except for Dungey's chain derailment. Reed's race at Dallas was pretty much out of...
And all of those were at least partly in the rider's control except for Dungey's chain derailment. Reed's race at Dallas was pretty much out of his control as well, as was Metcalfe crashing in front of Canard in Daytona. If you told me this is how the season would be with 4 rounds to go in December, I would have said move over 06, this is the real "Perfect Storm"
As what about the yard sale in front of RV at JAX. Regardless of the "what if's", across the board, the bad luck or even mistakes have been distributed to everyone. If Cher is going to turn back time for Dungey, she has to turn it back for everyone else and as a whole, the series would still be close and the same people would still be contending. I can tell you this, the SX champ will not be a riders that is dwelling on whatever happened last race, last week, last month etc. Listen to the interviews, the words, the tones and the attitudes, IMO, as Vegas get closer, it will be easy to see who isn't going to win.
gfmoto
4/5/2011 12:02am
dungey needs the EYE OF THE TIGER!! i pity the fool!!
johansen
4/5/2011 12:05am
This season is getting very interesting. I personally think Dungey has had the right approach; don't try to force the issue because it's a long season and consistent podium finishes will get you in striking distance. Now it's time for everyone to put on the afterburners.

Post a reply to: Point(s) to Consider about Dungey

The Latest