Plastic film on oil strainer

Edited Date/Time 3/30/2019 10:38am
Hi guys. I just went to do an oil change on my 2017rmz250 and found the strangest thing that I've ever seen. I removed the oil strainer next to the gear change lever and was totally dismayed to see that the oil strainer was completely clogged up from the outside with something. On closer inspection it seems to be chewed up pieces of clear plastic film, something like what you would see from a plastic bag. I am at a complete loss as to what it could be or how it could have gotten into the engine. I can post some pictures later, but I'm just getting ready to remove the flywheel side and clutch side covers to see what else might be in there.
The strainer was pretty blocked, so I'm hoping it hasn't done any damage to the top or bottom end through oil starvation. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Thanks in advance.
|
3/29/2019 7:37am

Sorry for the poor quality pictures, but hopefully you get the idea. The only thing that I can think of was maybe the oil bottle from the last oil change was contaminated and it got into the engine when I filled it up. Other than that I can't for the life of me think where it could have come from.
The main oil filter seems to be clean so it doesn't look like it's made it's way out of the gearbox. Do I need to tear the motor apart? Opinions please, thanks in advance again.
77Moto
3/29/2019 9:28am
Looks to me like a seal is giving up the ghost. Is it discolored grey "Yamabond" maybe? you know the stuff they seal centercases with?

The bike isn't new, which makes me think its a seal tearing apart.

3/29/2019 10:18am
I don't think it's a seal. The plastic is transparent, it looks like part of a plastic bag, a strange as that may sound. I'll upload a few better photos later. Still working on the bike at the minute.
77Moto
3/29/2019 11:29am
Scrambled wrote:
I don't think it's a seal. The plastic is transparent, it looks like part of a plastic bag, a strange as that may sound. I'll upload...
I don't think it's a seal. The plastic is transparent, it looks like part of a plastic bag, a strange as that may sound. I'll upload a few better photos later. Still working on the bike at the minute.
Damn, you're right. It does look like plastic bag shreds. Theres nothing on the stator side so maybe pull the clutch cover like you mentioned. Only thing I've seen that color before was a plastic water pump impeller(dark translucent grey plastic) that broke but it was a dead giveway because the oil was milky from the seal leak.

The Shop

OldYZRider1
3/29/2019 11:53am
Well it almost looks like the clear shrink wrap that is sometimes put around parts. Are you the original owner? Is it possible someone has installed the oil filter or replaced that strainer with a new part and never took it out of the shrink wrap? Maybe those items aren't even packaged that way? Sounds really bizarre for someone to do something that dumb but there are some real dandies out there. If that's what happened it doesn't sound good for the engines life expectancy unfortunately.
mx317
3/29/2019 12:04pm
The only thing I can think of in the engine that it might be is some insulation from the stator coils.

Either that or someone smuggled crystal meth across the border in your engine.
Torco1
3/29/2019 12:08pm
It could be part of the vacuum seal that oil bottles have on them when you remove the cap. It could've been stuck up in the cap and eventually found its way into the bottle.
3/29/2019 12:11pm
So, I pulled the fly wheel cover and the clutch cover, removed the second oil strainer behind the flywheel cover and there was no sign of anything. I removed the complete clutch assembly and could not see anything anywhere, including the basket. I then flushed the engine with some fresh oil and drained it through the oil strainer hole (without starting the engine). I've put it all back together and will ride it tomorrow and then drop the oil again and check the strainer. I've got some better pictures, taken with a real camera. When I can find my USB cable to upload them I'll show you what I mean. It looks like shreds of clear plastic. Definitely doesn't look like it's come off an engine component. I'm baffled and can only think that maybe the oil that I filled it with at the last change was contaminated and had a small piece of plastic floating around in there. It seems a major headache to strip the whole motor, so I've decided to risk it. Fingers crossed.
garagedog
Fantasy
722nd
3/29/2019 12:14pm
guessing.... you might have had something at the bottom of your funnel the last time you put oil in. Or the plastic came from your oil container (like the underside of the cap.
3/29/2019 12:15pm
Well it almost looks like the clear shrink wrap that is sometimes put around parts. Are you the original owner? Is it possible someone has installed...
Well it almost looks like the clear shrink wrap that is sometimes put around parts. Are you the original owner? Is it possible someone has installed the oil filter or replaced that strainer with a new part and never took it out of the shrink wrap? Maybe those items aren't even packaged that way? Sounds really bizarre for someone to do something that dumb but there are some real dandies out there. If that's what happened it doesn't sound good for the engines life expectancy unfortunately.
I've had the bike from new and the only time that I've opened the motor was to install a Rekluse almost 1 year ago. And then I only removed the clutch cover. The stator coils were fine, I checked them today when I had the flywheel cover off and there was no contamination in there anyway. It's come from the gearbox and doesn't seem to have gotten passed the first oil strainer.
3/29/2019 12:18pm
garagedog wrote:
guessing.... you might have had something at the bottom of your funnel the last time you put oil in. Or the plastic came from your oil...
guessing.... you might have had something at the bottom of your funnel the last time you put oil in. Or the plastic came from your oil container (like the underside of the cap.
I always drag some kitchen roll through before I use a funnel to make sure it's free of any dust. It must have been in the 4 litre container that I have been using for the last few oil changes. Previous to buying that 4 litre container I always used 1 litre bottles and they have a screw top with no film. I'm just going to check that 4 litre plastic container for any signs of a film wrap on the lid. Will report back.
neverwas
Fantasy
740th
3/29/2019 12:40pm
Very odd,will be curious to see the additional pics. Good luck.
JBecker 72
3/29/2019 12:45pm Edited Date/Time 3/29/2019 12:55pm
Any plastic bearing cages in that motor? Like for a thrust bearing. Or possibly from an oil pump if it’s a plastic design like older KTMs?

Edit: after seeing the pic below I doubt my guess is right. lol
3/29/2019 12:50pm

I've just checked both oil containers that I've been using. Both have pull out spouts with no plastic film that you need to remove before filling. I've used the same oil from new (same bottles) Putoline. I've always boyght 1 litre bottles and the last time I purchased I got a 4 litre container. Deffinately no film lid that you need to remove before unscrewing the cap.
mikec265
3/29/2019 12:57pm
Maybe you pissed someone off at the track, or your neighbor wants your bike to blow up. I can't see that getting in there unless someone was trying to ruin your engine on purpose.
3/29/2019 1:07pm Edited Date/Time 3/29/2019 1:10pm
mikec265 wrote:
Maybe you pissed someone off at the track, or your neighbor wants your bike to blow up. I can't see that getting in there unless someone...
Maybe you pissed someone off at the track, or your neighbor wants your bike to blow up. I can't see that getting in there unless someone was trying to ruin your engine on purpose.
I am completely baffled...Blink Nobody could have got near the bike. I leave it unattended for very short periods when I'm at the track, but doubt very much that's how it got in there.
The only logical explanation is the oil must have been contaminated. I can't think of anything else. It's deffo not part of an internal engine component that's shredded itself. The latest pictures just show the largest piece.

My neighbour is definitely not happy with me, but she wouldn't have a clue how to get some plastic in the engine. It's not what you might think either. We've been, as we say here in England friends with benefits, although the benefits have recently grounded to a massive halt!!!
MotoMo165
3/29/2019 1:28pm
mikec265 wrote:
Maybe you pissed someone off at the track, or your neighbor wants your bike to blow up. I can't see that getting in there unless someone...
Scrambled wrote:
I am completely baffled...:blink: Nobody could have got near the bike. I leave it unattended for very short periods when I'm at the track, but doubt...
I am completely baffled...Blink Nobody could have got near the bike. I leave it unattended for very short periods when I'm at the track, but doubt very much that's how it got in there.
The only logical explanation is the oil must have been contaminated. I can't think of anything else. It's deffo not part of an internal engine component that's shredded itself. The latest pictures just show the largest piece.

My neighbour is definitely not happy with me, but she wouldn't have a clue how to get some plastic in the engine. It's not what you might think either. We've been, as we say here in England friends with benefits, although the benefits have recently grounded to a massive halt!!!
That’s a condom bro. You guys are wild
3/29/2019 1:39pm Edited Date/Time 3/29/2019 1:40pm
mikec265 wrote:
Scrambled wrote:
I am completely baffled...:blink: Nobody could have got near the bike. I leave it unattended for very short periods when I'm at the track, but doubt...

MotoMo165 wrote:
That’s a condom bro. You guys are wild
I have to admit that I haven't checked that oil strainer for at least the last couple of oil changes. Other than removing the clutch cover 1 year ago to install the Rekluse, the only thing that's been removed is the oil filler cap whenever I change the oil. Just by process of elimination it must have gotten in with the oil sometime during the last few oil changes. I'm very careful about how I fill it also and always make sure that the funnel (if I use one) is spotless. If I use the 1 litre bottles there's no need to use a funnel because there is a pull out spout that fit's into the oil fill hole in the clutch cover.

I will definitely lose sleep over this. Sad
77Moto
3/29/2019 1:42pm
There is no way that came from an oil bottle. That's not oil bottle material at all.. That's like shrink wrap, bubble wrap, or zip lock baggie material.

Plus, that's a lot of plastic. If you were filling the engine, you'd see that. Did the clutch you put in have parts wrapped in plastic and not take off? Like new plates or something?

3/29/2019 1:49pm Edited Date/Time 3/29/2019 1:52pm
There was no plastic on the Rekluse when I installed a year ago. I have removed that oil strainer several times over the last year it's only ever had the usual bits of small metal particles attached to the magnet. I think it's appeared sometime between today and the last few oil changes.

Maybe something fell into the container when it was being filled at the Putoline factory. There seems to be some red colouring on a couple of the bits. Print maybe, but there's no way to make out what it is.

Also, the Rekluse core exp 3.0 uses the original clutch friction plates.. It did come wrapped in bubble wrap, but I was playing about with it and looking at before I installed it, so I'm sure I would've seen anything on it.
3/29/2019 1:51pm
do you have young kids? left oil cap off while they were hanging round? i could have rebuilt a bike with the amount of bolts that have came out the muffler on mine..
JBecker 72
3/29/2019 1:52pm
cablecable wrote:
do you have young kids? left oil cap off while they were hanging round? i could have rebuilt a bike with the amount of bolts that...
do you have young kids? left oil cap off while they were hanging round? i could have rebuilt a bike with the amount of bolts that have came out the muffler on mine..
That’s a very good point.
3/29/2019 2:06pm
cablecable wrote:
do you have young kids? left oil cap off while they were hanging round? i could have rebuilt a bike with the amount of bolts that...
No kids here.
On closer inspection it does look very similar to the bubble wrapped bag that the Rekluse came in, although it feels slightly more rubbery, but the oil may have done that to it. There is a definite straight edge on the piece that I just photographed, like a cut and possibly an outer skin that may have been one of the bubbles. Maybe a piece could have been tucked away in the machined holes in the pressure plate or the clutch hub, although it's hard to imagine that I wouldn't have seen it at the time.

Maybe we have an answer, but I suppose I'll never know for sure.
77Moto
3/29/2019 2:17pm
I'd run it. Engines can digest gasket material and other stuff from when new, and plastic wont hurt anything, assuming nothing blocks oil flow, but at this point it looks like you got most everything.

I'd use some cheap Dino oil like Rotella 15w40 or whatever you have there and dump it each ride and clean filter a few more times.

Once it stops then run your regular favorite.
3/29/2019 2:26pm
I flushed it with remainder of my Putoline today and then filled it with Maxima Extra. I'll drop the oil again after tomorrow and see how it looks.
Supermega1
3/29/2019 4:04pm
Almost looks like the plastic shrink wrap that new oil filters come in.
3/29/2019 4:25pm
Supermega1 wrote:
Almost looks like the plastic shrink wrap that new oil filters come in.
The Hi-Flow filters that I use come in a small box, no shrink or bubble wrap.
reded
3/30/2019 7:38am
Always check your oil filters for contamination before installing. I’m not saying this is the cause of your issue but the $9/hr workers who fulfill orders in warehouses are known to do some stupid shit. One may have picked up some bubble or shrink wrap off of the floor and instead of walking to the trash can, opened a box on the shelf and stuffed it inside the filter.
ScottP
3/30/2019 8:40am Edited Date/Time 3/30/2019 8:40am
I have two friends thats put in Rekluse cluctches one Honda one Yamaha. Both had similiar plastic show up, one was green and the other was a clear/black.In both cases it was the plastic buffers on the rekluse clutches between the gear and the basket. Sucks because you have to pull the basket then pull off the gear to indetify the issue. In both cases Rekluse took care of them but shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Post a reply to: Plastic film on oil strainer

The Latest