Plastic color match

TF212
Edited Date/Time 1/30/2014 7:50pm
I have been looking at the photos of last weekend's supercross race and in the pictures that have Reed and RV next to each other, it seems to be that their plastics are noticeable different hues of green. I am assuming that both are running aftermarket plastic since Kawasakis do not come with the green front number plate stock. Do the colors from different aftermarket companies really vary that much?

|
Xeno
1/30/2014 12:12pm
Torco1
1/30/2014 12:25pm
TF212 wrote:
I have been looking at the photos of last weekend's supercross race and in the pictures that have Reed and RV next to each other, it...
I have been looking at the photos of last weekend's supercross race and in the pictures that have Reed and RV next to each other, it seems to be that their plastics are noticeable different hues of green. I am assuming that both are running aftermarket plastic since Kawasakis do not come with the green front number plate stock. Do the colors from different aftermarket companies really vary that much?

That's the difference between a full factory ride and "privateers". RV's bike is kept in a nice climate controlled race shop all week, whereas Reed's is sitting outside in his backyard with a tarp over it. Sometimes the wind will blow the tarp off if the bricks holding it down get moved around. Once that happens, the sun dulls the shit out of the plastics. True story.
1/30/2014 1:01pm
TF212 wrote:
I have been looking at the photos of last weekend's supercross race and in the pictures that have Reed and RV next to each other, it...

Torco1 wrote:
That's the difference between a full factory ride and "privateers". RV's bike is kept in a nice climate controlled race shop all week, whereas Reed's is...
That's the difference between a full factory ride and "privateers". RV's bike is kept in a nice climate controlled race shop all week, whereas Reed's is sitting outside in his backyard with a tarp over it. Sometimes the wind will blow the tarp off if the bricks holding it down get moved around. Once that happens, the sun dulls the shit out of the plastics. True story.
Winds blows it off, yeah right, you know it was stolen just like the tablecloth.

The Shop

1/30/2014 1:07pm Edited Date/Time 1/30/2014 1:09pm
Do the OEMs, in particular KTM, make their own plastic or is it subbed out?

Who makes the best replacement plastics for current KTM models?
1/30/2014 1:28pm
The fl. green is also available from UFO. I had a set on my 09, looked better than OEM IMO.
mx 219
Fantasy
857th
1/30/2014 2:26pm Edited Date/Time 1/30/2014 2:30pm
the plastic color can vary from batch to batch and from the beginning of a batch to the last pieces made.

I had UFO make 100 sets of red klx 110 plastics and there is definitely a different color between some of the plastics. The earlier sets were slightly pinkish, but others were Honda red.

Its possible that Reed is asking for a different color though, I like his a little better than villos.
Socket946
1/30/2014 2:30pm

Most is subbed out.

Acerbis makes KTM's plastic, I know that for sure.

For the other OEM's, I am not clear on. I wouldn't be surprised if Honda's were made in house (in China...)
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
1/30/2014 4:10pm

Socket946 wrote:
Most is subbed out. Acerbis makes KTM's plastic, I know that for sure. For the other OEM's, I am not clear on. I wouldn't be surprised...
Most is subbed out.

Acerbis makes KTM's plastic, I know that for sure.

For the other OEM's, I am not clear on. I wouldn't be surprised if Honda's were made in house (in China...)
Actually, you are INCORRECT ! The current KTM plastics (since at least '08, maybe before), are made by Polisport.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/30/2014 6:03pm
Xeno wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/01/30/43806/s1200_Saturation.jpg[/img]
Hahaha!

Our saturation goes to 11.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/30/2014 6:04pm
Torco1 wrote:
That's the difference between a full factory ride and "privateers". RV's bike is kept in a nice climate controlled race shop all week, whereas Reed's is...
Man, you totally had me until you went there with true story.
Socket946
1/30/2014 6:34pm
langhammx wrote:
Actually, you are INCORRECT ! The current KTM plastics (since at least '08, maybe before), are made by Polisport.
Actually, I'm not.

KTM OEM stuff was always marked with Acerbis till '08. Now Polisport are making the OEM plastics for KTM

My last KTM was an '07 144SX.
CRF505
1/30/2014 7:50pm
TF212 wrote:

Torco1 wrote:
Hahahaha! This made my day..... "True story!" TongueSilly

Post a reply to: Plastic color match

The Latest