Planning Moab Trip

Related:
Create New Tag

8/31/2019 1:20 PM

Planning a week long trip to Moab in November. Plan is to stop at Thunder Valley on the way there or back. We’re renting a toy hauler from a friends dad. This came up spur of the moment the other night and were unfamiliar with Utah.
Do you need an ohv permit, or can you ride wherever you want?
I know Cainsville is a very popular place to ride and not too far away. Only 2 hours away. We will probably end up there a day or two. Also I’ve always want to go to Arches National park so we will be there as well.

I want to have the whole trip planned in advance. What parks to ride at, what trail systems, towns, etc.. if anyone from Utah or someone who has experience at Moab has insight I would appreciate it very much!

|

8/31/2019 1:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/31/2019 1:54 PM

You need a Utah OHV permit, yes. In Arches there is an OHV trail, not sure the specifics if it is limited to certain types of vehicles. You can of course ride the Slick Rock trail from town, and many of the other OHV trails, though some limit 2 wheel access. But for sure you will want to ride Slick Rock.

Caineville is a bit more than 2 hours away from Moab and has zero services, although Hanksville is on the way and has a couple of large gas stops and a restaurant or two. Caineville is one of the best places on the planet to ride, but make sure you scouting stuff out, not shortage of carnage there, its gnarly.

Trail systems and camping options are endless, just depends upon how much rock vs. dirt vs. sand you want to ride and if you want to pay to camp, or primitive is ok. Moab is so busy now that it can be hard to find something that is free close to town.

If you are bringing bikes set up with suspension for MX, you may not like the rock riding, its not fun w stiff suspension. You may also want to get a spark arrestor of some kind, the fines can be pretty hefty if you don't have one.

Since it sounds like you are coming via I-70, you should stop and ride Grand Junction/Fruita area. I live here and so of course ride the desert here regularly. It is a massive open BLM area with zero restrictions on riding and camping. It's only about 90 minutes to Moab and offers great riding.

|

8/31/2019 4:20 PM

I can't help you on the riding front, but for sure have breakfast at the Moab Diner one morning. Cheers!

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.

8/31/2019 6:26 PM

hamncheeze wrote:

I can't help you on the riding front, but for sure have breakfast at the Moab Diner one morning. Cheers!

I can never turn down good food. Thanks man

|

8/31/2019 6:31 PM

stone881 wrote:

You need a Utah OHV permit, yes. In Arches there is an OHV trail, not sure the specifics if it is limited to certain types of vehicles. You can of course ride the Slick Rock trail from town, and many of the other OHV trails, though some limit 2 wheel access. But for sure you will want to ride Slick Rock.

Caineville is a bit more than 2 hours away from Moab and has zero services, although Hanksville is on the way and has a couple of large gas stops and a restaurant or two. Caineville is one of the best places on the planet to ride, but make sure you scouting stuff out, not shortage of carnage there, its gnarly.

Trail systems and camping options are endless, just depends upon how much rock vs. dirt vs. sand you want to ride and if you want to pay to camp, or primitive is ok. Moab is so busy now that it can be hard to find something that is free close to town.

If you are bringing bikes set up with suspension for MX, you may not like the rock riding, its not fun w stiff suspension. You may also want to get a spark arrestor of some kind, the fines can be pretty hefty if you don't have one.

Since it sounds like you are coming via I-70, you should stop and ride Grand Junction/Fruita area. I live here and so of course ride the desert here regularly. It is a massive open BLM area with zero restrictions on riding and camping. It's only about 90 minutes to Moab and offers great riding.

Shoot, maybe we will pass thru your town and ride with you for the day! I really appreciate all the info. I’ve just saved slick rock! And I am 100% gonna make it out to cainesville. Now another question. Would you advice bringing a paddle tire if we wanted to ride the dunes for a day?? I have a second set of wheels, so I could swap em out.
Also here in dfw I generally ride mx33... it’s the best over all terrain tire I’ve tried. Lots of sand/clay/red dirt here and happens to work very well with all conditions.

Where you live, grand junction, what is a BLM area?

|

8/31/2019 7:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/31/2019 8:20 PM

I think the law in Utah is that you have a 10 day grace period where you can ride your bike without getting a permit. If your bikes are registered in your state you should be just fine without getting any kind of permit. My Dads bike has been in Utah since 2005 with Idaho licensing and we haven’t had a single issue

The best riding that is close to Moab is the White Wash Sand Dunes, which is one of the only places in the world where there are Cotton Wood trees literally growing in the sand dunes. Its just a small sand dune surrounded be red rock and endless desert. No need for a paddle tire there. It has some of the coolest fun riding in Utah but is very remote. The only way I would suggest doing that is if you have GPS or go with someone who knows the area. Depends on how much time you’re spending in Moab but the riding there is better than Moab and it’s only 1 hour away (on the way to Caineville) and only 13 miles off of I-70

The Sovereign trail in Moab is one of the only single track trails other than the “Slick Rock Trail” which is fun. All the others are Jeep trails which is fun for some...just not me.

Caineville is an absolute “must” if you have the chance and is only 2 hours from Moab. I live 3 hours away from Caineville and it was the only place we would ride while I was growing up. Nothing beats it on a perfect day. The place is different and many people I have brought down there that have never been have found it to be a bit intimidating. Just watch out for washes and sudden drop off’s.

The only dunes I think are worth hitting up in Utah is the Little Sahara which you would want a paddle for. The Coral Pink dunes don’t have a very big footprint for OHV travel. Both dunes are over 3 hours away from Caineville too. Make sure you bring your flag.

|

8/31/2019 9:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/31/2019 9:19 PM

Along with the trails you could also hit up the motocross track that is in moab as well. I heard that the city had a dispute with water and land, and that it got shutdown. But everytime I drive by it, the gates are open and always looks like people had ridden it recently, even in it's abandoned status. Sad to see it go down like that.

|

oof.

8/31/2019 9:23 PM

Appreciate all of the replies!

Thanks in advance!

|

much ty. How to spot a paid forum poster/artificial forum traffic producer (see list of actions/phrases below):

Copius pattern amounts of phrases like “Anyone have”..., “Anybody know?”.... and their variations.

Thoughts?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

8/31/2019 10:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/31/2019 10:31 PM

I have no advice but I stumbled upon Cainesville on my way to the Thunder Valley National this year... holy hell that place looks like it was made for dirt bikes! I’m hoping to ride there next year.

I also stopped at Arches. Pretty mind blowing place.

|

8/31/2019 10:48 PM

stone881 wrote:

slimchugga119 wrote:

Shoot, maybe we will pass thru your town and ride with you for the day! I really appreciate all the info. I’ve just saved slick rock! And I am 100% gonna make it out to cainesville. Now another question. Would you advice bringing a paddle tire if we wanted to ride the dunes for a day?? I have a second set of wheels, so I could swap em out.
Also here in dfw I generally ride mx33... it’s the best over all terrain tire I’ve tried. Lots of sand/clay/red dirt here and happens to work very well with all conditions.

Where you live, grand junction, what is a BLM area?

You don't need a sand tire, not really any significant dunes in the area, but there are some sandy conditions mixed in with hard pan and slick rock. Regarding tires , run what you brung, your mx 33's will be fine.

The entire area on the north side of GJ is BLM and includes hill climbs, whooped out roads, small tracks ridden in everywhere, washes, jumps of all types and just all around fun riding. There is endless riding to be had in this part of the world, just depends upon what you want to ride.

|

9/1/2019 6:07 AM

dont put on a fresh tire for the trip either. slick rock devours tires.

|

9/1/2019 8:22 PM

5 miles of hell if you want a challenge....

|

9/1/2019 8:30 PM

There is no OHV trail in Arches. Buy the non resident permit at the local Maverick station. As mentioned above, don’t mount fresh rubber, it will be destroyed. Slick rock is anything but slick. The local moto track by the old airport is not worth the time to ride. Ride 5MOH if you want a challenge. It’s an amazing area. Enjoy your trip.

|

9/2/2019 1:18 PM

jevyguy wrote:

I think the law in Utah is that you have a 10 day grace period where you can ride your bike without getting a permit. If your bikes are registered in your state you should be just fine without getting any kind of permit. My Dads bike has been in Utah since 2005 with Idaho licensing and we haven’t had a single issue

The best riding that is close to Moab is the White Wash Sand Dunes, which is one of the only places in the world where there are Cotton Wood trees literally growing in the sand dunes. Its just a small sand dune surrounded be red rock and endless desert. No need for a paddle tire there. It has some of the coolest fun riding in Utah but is very remote. The only way I would suggest doing that is if you have GPS or go with someone who knows the area. Depends on how much time you’re spending in Moab but the riding there is better than Moab and it’s only 1 hour away (on the way to Caineville) and only 13 miles off of I-70

The Sovereign trail in Moab is one of the only single track trails other than the “Slick Rock Trail” which is fun. All the others are Jeep trails which is fun for some...just not me.

Caineville is an absolute “must” if you have the chance and is only 2 hours from Moab. I live 3 hours away from Caineville and it was the only place we would ride while I was growing up. Nothing beats it on a perfect day. The place is different and many people I have brought down there that have never been have found it to be a bit intimidating. Just watch out for washes and sudden drop off’s.

The only dunes I think are worth hitting up in Utah is the Little Sahara which you would want a paddle for. The Coral Pink dunes don’t have a very big footprint for OHV travel. Both dunes are over 3 hours away from Caineville too. Make sure you bring your flag.

Dude thanks you so much for all this! I just screen shotted it and will be putting these on the have to dos. All of this sounds great. Getting more and more antsy to get out there. November will be cold but man gonna be nothing like this. Especially around Dallas haa

|

9/2/2019 1:20 PM

Grizz wrote:

I have no advice but I stumbled upon Cainesville on my way to the Thunder Valley National this year... holy hell that place looks like it was made for dirt bikes! I’m hoping to ride there next year.

I also stopped at Arches. Pretty mind blowing place.

Both cainesville and arches have been in my radar for 10+ years. Finally financially stable and old enough to make it happen!

|

9/2/2019 1:20 PM

vetmxr wrote:

5 miles of hell if you want a challenge....

I’m always down for a challenge

|

9/2/2019 1:22 PM

OUMX117 wrote:

There is no OHV trail in Arches. Buy the non resident permit at the local Maverick station. As mentioned above, don’t mount fresh rubber, it will be destroyed. Slick rock is anything but slick. The local moto track by the old airport is not worth the time to ride. Ride 5MOH if you want a challenge. It’s an amazing area. Enjoy your trip.

Arches has always been on the radar just to visit not as much ride. But if riding was available it’d be best of both worlds. 5moh looks gnarly. Must do now that I’ve watched a video. Thanks for your input

|

9/2/2019 1:25 PM

OUMX117 wrote:

If you could run one tire on slick rock what would you run? Even if they get roasted. I’ll have quite a few with me if I need to swap the night before

|

9/2/2019 7:55 PM

OUMX117 wrote:

slimchugga119 wrote:

If you could run one tire on slick rock what would you run? Even if they get roasted. I’ll have quite a few with me if I need to swap the night before

On the slick rock I would recommend a trials type tire. I prefer the motoz mountain hybrid, or the motoz extreme hybrid. They both work well on the rock. Now they aren’t good for much else IMO. But on the rock the trials type tires are king.

|

9/2/2019 9:33 PM

hamncheeze wrote:

Durn tootin!

|

9/2/2019 9:41 PM

Go up on the slick rock by Lion's back, and make your way to the cliff edge by the river (west of Negro Bill canyon). Best day's riding ever. Some sketchy spots, but no serious pucker power like Poison Spyder trail.

Have fun!

|

9/2/2019 10:38 PM

Hope it don't snow!! Plan for Snow. Must have chains taking I 70 with what your pullin in November. Good luck.

|

9/3/2019 6:49 AM

OUMX117 wrote:

slimchugga119 wrote:

honestly it doesn't matter much, you get excellent traction even with a bald tire.

|

9/3/2019 9:15 AM

Do this. Show you are not scared by doing a bigger wheelie.

|

Avoiding JS7 threads since 3/7/17.

9/3/2019 8:18 PM

10000hrs wrote:

Where did you get this picture?

|

9/4/2019 6:22 AM

I need to see what is at the end of this rock! Please tell me there is something other than a ledge leading to this dude's death.

|

"If you don't put your work ahead of your talent, you won't win." Mike Babcock

9/4/2019 8:15 AM

bents wrote:

I need to see what is at the end of this rock! Please tell me there is something other than a ledge leading to this dude's death.

Rides the rim around like a huge berm to the other side. You have to be going pretty decent speed and committed because if you mess up, you die.

|

9/4/2019 1:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/4/2019 1:20 PM

10000hrs wrote:

UpTiTe wrote:

I got it years ago off a slide show the Adventure Rider Web site used to have. Its one of my top five dirt bike pix. There were a few more from the same session I did not copy.

I just searched for dodger dodger moab and found two videos of it. Its not as hairy as the pic makes it look but I probably wouldnt do it at my age.

https://m.

|

Avoiding JS7 threads since 3/7/17.

9/4/2019 2:15 PM

10000hrs wrote:

UpTiTe wrote:

10000hrs wrote:

I got it years ago off a slide show the Adventure Rider Web site used to have. Its one of my top five dirt bike pix. There were a few more from the same session I did not copy.

I just searched for dodger dodger moab and found two videos of it. Its not as hairy as the pic makes it look but I probably wouldnt do it at my age.

Thanks for posting that video, haven’t seen it in awhile.

|

9/4/2019 2:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/4/2019 2:37 PM

Last time I was at Slickrock the trail was painted on the rock. Stay on the trail. Stay off the vegetation. Stay off the black puddle looking parts of the rock. This is all protected. Use the most worn out tires you have for Slickrock or get trials tires or some dual sport tires. It is like riding on 220 grit sandpaper and is nearly 100% traction. Tall knobs are just going to roll and break off of your front tire. Porcupine is pretty fun and you will want to have a tire for loose, rocky terrain. If I were to go again I would probably mount up some aggressive dual sport tires and use them everywhere. It is impossible to not have a good time riding in Moab. Enjoy!

|

Bret Bonham