Places to ride around Columbus Ohio

JBrun625
Edited Date/Time 9/9/2014 10:23pm
Hey everyone. Going to make a trip up to Columbus from good ol Texas to visit the girlfriend. Where all are some good riding spots around there. Tracks, trails, does not matter to me. Thanks for your answers and if anyone is around there and would like to meet up and ride just let me know. Not quite sure when I'm getting to go but hopefully very soon.
|
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
8/30/2014 8:53pm Edited Date/Time 8/30/2014 8:54pm
JBrun625 wrote:
Hey everyone. Going to make a trip up to Columbus from good ol Texas to visit the girlfriend. Where all are some good riding spots around...
Hey everyone. Going to make a trip up to Columbus from good ol Texas to visit the girlfriend. Where all are some good riding spots around there. Tracks, trails, does not matter to me. Thanks for your answers and if anyone is around there and would like to meet up and ride just let me know. Not quite sure when I'm getting to go but hopefully very soon.
Oh god, she go to Ohio St.? Dump and run man.... Dump and run
Original 44
8/30/2014 9:05pm
Try Briarcliff Mx. Awesome track and facility. For trail riding try the Wayne National Forest.
JBrun625
8/30/2014 9:07pm
JBrun625 wrote:
Hey everyone. Going to make a trip up to Columbus from good ol Texas to visit the girlfriend. Where all are some good riding spots around...
MxKing809 wrote:
Oh god, she go to Ohio St.? Dump and run man.... Dump and run
It's a she. And why dump and run!
JBrun625
8/30/2014 9:08pm
Try Briarcliff Mx. Awesome track and facility. For trail riding try the Wayne National Forest.
Where is briar cliff mx at? And do you have to have a spark arrestor since it is a national trail facility?

The Shop

JB 19
8/30/2014 9:18pm
Briarcliff......near Newark. Route 62...., also near Newark. Both excellent tracks.
mxb2
8/30/2014 9:32pm
briarcliff, beans mxpark, mx213, rt 62, tv land, all really depends on your schedule and how far your willing to drive. and they have schedules online. b cliff has some good riders, great track., rife, mcdade, browning, herrlein, krieg, gibson all fast ohio guys. ride there often.
JBrun625
8/31/2014 6:17am
Thanks guys! Been watching a few videos of b cliff. Looks like a pretty cool track. What's the dirt like there? Looked kinda hard pack in some spots
mxb2
8/31/2014 9:04am
JBrun625 wrote:
Thanks guys! Been watching a few videos of b cliff. Looks like a pretty cool track. What's the dirt like there? Looked kinda hard pack in...
Thanks guys! Been watching a few videos of b cliff. Looks like a pretty cool track. What's the dirt like there? Looked kinda hard pack in some spots
dirt is really good, and have a c track and kids track.
JBrun625
8/31/2014 9:54am
Don't forget the AMA museum! That is a really cool place near Columbus.
Yes!! That is #1 on my to do list!!
JBrun625
8/31/2014 9:55am
JBrun625 wrote:
Thanks guys! Been watching a few videos of b cliff. Looks like a pretty cool track. What's the dirt like there? Looked kinda hard pack in...
mxb2 wrote:
What is the c track?
Cygnus
8/31/2014 9:58am
RupertX posted pics from the big race at Briarcliff last week. Was a huge turn out from what he said. 600+ entries.
mxb2
8/31/2014 10:15am
JBrun625 wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
JBrun625 wrote:
What is the c track?
c track is the less aggressive track, for beginners, or kids, vet riders, its also groomed.
mxb2
8/31/2014 10:15am
Cygnus wrote:
RupertX posted pics from the big race at Briarcliff last week. Was a huge turn out from what he said. 600+ entries.
I was there also, great turnout, some really fast guys there.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1992nd
8/31/2014 1:30pm
mxb2 wrote:
briarcliff, beans mxpark, mx213, rt 62, tv land, all really depends on your schedule and how far your willing to drive. and they have schedules online...
briarcliff, beans mxpark, mx213, rt 62, tv land, all really depends on your schedule and how far your willing to drive. and they have schedules online. b cliff has some good riders, great track., rife, mcdade, browning, herrlein, krieg, gibson all fast ohio guys. ride there often.
TV land is almost all hard pack, and it's about 4 hrs away from Columbus.
mxb2
8/31/2014 1:35pm
mxb2 wrote:
briarcliff, beans mxpark, mx213, rt 62, tv land, all really depends on your schedule and how far your willing to drive. and they have schedules online...
TV land is almost all hard pack, and it's about 4 hrs away from Columbus.
my bad, havent been to tv land in awhile. Like i said depends on his schedule and how far he wants to travel.
8/31/2014 2:01pm
MXKing is from Michigan, so I would think the same thing f you were headed to Ann Arbor. (it's a big 10 thing)...

To be legal for the trails at Wayne, your bike needs registered with the BMV (off road sticker or street legal tags). Not sure what the equivalent in Texas would be for the ORV sticker. Plus you need a forestry pass (I think they are $15 / day, I buy the season for like $45).

Go to Long Ridge near Buchtel. It quite a bit smaller than the Dorr Run / Monday Creek area but the locals have cut a ton of single track and the marked trail is much better than the Door Run. It is never crowded.

Dorr Run on the weekend has become overrun with UTVs and ATVs and while the trails are still fun, they are wide and groomed. I really only like to go there on weekdays but you still gotta be thinking oncoming traffic can be around any corner.

I have ridden at Wayne a handful of times every year for 15 years or so and have only been stopped twice by the rangers. I was legal. We have seen rangers a few other times, but they were checking others and we just waved and rode past. Only once did we see them and flip a quick 180 out of a parking area since 1 of the group did not have an ORV sticker or day pass. I don't know what the fine would be.

My CRF-X as a spark arrestor but the FMF on my XR did not when we were stopped. He didn't ask/know or care I guess.
downard254
8/31/2014 2:16pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2014 5:19am
If I had my track prepped I would have been more than happy to have you come out to my place and ride a free day. Sadly, I've been too busy with work this year to even get the bike out.
Edit: I'm about 40 min southeast of Columbus.
Edit again: I'm currently building a new track at our soon to be new home, should be about 1 1/2-2 miles long and sort of a mini Unadilla with the elevation change and hills. Will also be 90% natural, I'm getting to old for SX.

harescrambled
Fantasy
1992nd
8/31/2014 5:06pm
downard254 wrote:
If I had my track prepped I would have been more than happy to have you come out to my place and ride a free day...
If I had my track prepped I would have been more than happy to have you come out to my place and ride a free day. Sadly, I've been too busy with work this year to even get the bike out.
Edit again: I'm currently building a new track at our soon to be new home, should be about 1 1/2-2 miles long and sort of a mini Unadilla with the elevation change and hills. Will also be 90% natural, I'm getting to old for SX.

Hmmm...interesting. I love natural tracks
JBrun625
8/31/2014 5:15pm
MXKing is from Michigan, so I would think the same thing f you were headed to Ann Arbor. (it's a big 10 thing)... To be legal...
MXKing is from Michigan, so I would think the same thing f you were headed to Ann Arbor. (it's a big 10 thing)...

To be legal for the trails at Wayne, your bike needs registered with the BMV (off road sticker or street legal tags). Not sure what the equivalent in Texas would be for the ORV sticker. Plus you need a forestry pass (I think they are $15 / day, I buy the season for like $45).

Go to Long Ridge near Buchtel. It quite a bit smaller than the Dorr Run / Monday Creek area but the locals have cut a ton of single track and the marked trail is much better than the Door Run. It is never crowded.

Dorr Run on the weekend has become overrun with UTVs and ATVs and while the trails are still fun, they are wide and groomed. I really only like to go there on weekdays but you still gotta be thinking oncoming traffic can be around any corner.

I have ridden at Wayne a handful of times every year for 15 years or so and have only been stopped twice by the rangers. I was legal. We have seen rangers a few other times, but they were checking others and we just waved and rode past. Only once did we see them and flip a quick 180 out of a parking area since 1 of the group did not have an ORV sticker or day pass. I don't know what the fine would be.

My CRF-X as a spark arrestor but the FMF on my XR did not when we were stopped. He didn't ask/know or care I guess.
That is some great info!! So I'm guessing my texas sticker wouldn't work up there. So if you buy the day pass do you still have to register? And when I get up there I'll shoot you a message and maybe we can go blaze some trails for a bit. It will be me and another buddy of mine. Would love to ride with someone who knows the area
JBrun625
8/31/2014 5:16pm
downard254 wrote:
If I had my track prepped I would have been more than happy to have you come out to my place and ride a free day...

That sounds super awesome. Like I said not sure when I will be heading that way! But when I do hopefully the snow hasn't hit so I can get some riding down. Plan on going to briarcliff and riding some trails!
cb49
9/1/2014 12:01am
downard254 wrote:

I live in Canal Winchester.
9/1/2014 8:28pm
MXKing is from Michigan, so I would think the same thing f you were headed to Ann Arbor. (it's a big 10 thing)... To be legal...

JBrun625 wrote:
That is some great info!! So I'm guessing my texas sticker wouldn't work up there. So if you buy the day pass do you still have...
That is some great info!! So I'm guessing my texas sticker wouldn't work up there. So if you buy the day pass do you still have to register? And when I get up there I'll shoot you a message and maybe we can go blaze some trails for a bit. It will be me and another buddy of mine. Would love to ride with someone who knows the area
If your Texas sticker is thru the BMV, then that should work for your registration. You would only need a Wayne pass. See this link for more info...

http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/wayne/home

Here is a snippet on the ORV tag. Again, you would still need a National Forest pass ("Wayne Pass").

For those coming in from out of state.... if your state requires your ATV to be registered and you have a tag from your state, Ohio has reciprocity and you are not required to get a temporary registration. If your state does not require that ATVs be registered, then you will need to get a temporary registration or a standard Ohio motorized registration from the Ohio BMV. Click here to see the law (amended on June 30, 2005). Ohio APV registration is available at the nearest Bureau of Motor Vehicles office.

yamahaha131
9/1/2014 8:47pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2014 8:48pm
JBrun625 wrote:
Briarcliff is usually prepped deep, ruts up nice and by the end of the day often gets hard packed if there is no mid day prep. Also there is basically no rocks in the soil. I live 5 minutes away but there are guys who consistently drive 3 hours for open practice. Top notch facility, not to mention the homemade noodles...just sayin
downard254
9/2/2014 3:02am
I had hoped to make it to Briarcliff with my son this year but had too much stuff going on. Trying to sell our current home and move into the house I grew up in as well as fix things up at both houses, building another new pole barn, one of my busiest years with work, Jr. High soccer with one son, High School band with the other. My poor RM 250 misses me in a bad way.
JBrun625
9/9/2014 5:55pm
Sorry to bring this thread up again guys! What are some cool Moto shops in the area that I could go check out. If I do end up moving there I would like to try and get on with a shop.
mxb2
9/9/2014 6:05pm
JBrun625 wrote:
Sorry to bring this thread up again guys! What are some cool Moto shops in the area that I could go check out. If I do...
Sorry to bring this thread up again guys! What are some cool Moto shops in the area that I could go check out. If I do end up moving there I would like to try and get on with a shop.
iron pony, my buddy works at hometown honda if you need some great deals
JBrun625
9/9/2014 6:36pm
JBrun625 wrote:
Sorry to bring this thread up again guys! What are some cool Moto shops in the area that I could go check out. If I do...
mxb2 wrote:
iron pony, my buddy works at hometown honda if you need some great deals
Sweet man I really appreciate it!

Post a reply to: Places to ride around Columbus Ohio

The Latest