Pivot Works linkage bearings. JUNK!?

Dusty212x
Edited Date/Time 6/29/2019 12:15pm
Okay so I just got done with a rebuild on a 2004 cr125r and all my bearings went to shit after 2 rides. Swing arm moves like I didn't even change them out. Anyone have the same problems?

|
6/24/2019 3:43pm
I won't use them anymore learned that lesson long ago they use cheap Chinese bearings.
brimx153
6/24/2019 4:19pm
Yep , and all balls aren't to much better , junk aswell
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
6/24/2019 4:34pm
Good to know. I was thinking about buying one of their kits.

Should I just go OEM $$$$$$$$$$?
jtmaster
6/24/2019 4:38pm
I’ve used both all balls and pivot works. Never had a problem.

The Shop

brapgod69
6/24/2019 4:53pm
I’ve had issues with them in the past. I don’t mess with anything but OEM now.
Dusty212x
6/24/2019 4:55pm
jtmaster wrote:
Same here. Make sure you grease them!
maybe I put too much grease hahahahahaha
colvin227
6/24/2019 6:32pm
RichieW13 wrote:

That’s always the best bet. You get what you pay for and OEM is usually the best for stuff like that. A lot of R&D and stress testing is done to each part.
JLM#144
6/24/2019 6:37pm
Same issue with pivot works swingarm bearings, and I added plenty of grease.
captmoto
6/24/2019 9:05pm
A little off topic but I just replaced the wheel bearings in my Toyhauler as I had a bearing failure last fall. The old ones all had China stamped in them. The same China branded bearings are less than $3 a piece. With races and seals I would have been out of $40 for Chinese stuff. I went with Timken bearings and races, pricey at $196.00 all around but I have a little more piece of mind.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
6/24/2019 9:26pm
jtmaster wrote:
Same here. Make sure you grease them!
Dusty212x wrote:
maybe I put too much grease hahahahahaha
what method did you use to install them?
Timo_2824
6/24/2019 9:29pm
People who like to add grease, just be aware it's possible to over grease bearings. Too much grease will cause the balls/needles/rollers to slide instead of roll. This causes heat and eventually bearing/race failure. Most of the OEM bearings that people think need grease added are actually perfect...
6/25/2019 4:05am
Timo_2824 wrote:
People who like to add grease, just be aware it's possible to over grease bearings. Too much grease will cause the balls/needles/rollers to slide instead of...
People who like to add grease, just be aware it's possible to over grease bearings. Too much grease will cause the balls/needles/rollers to slide instead of roll. This causes heat and eventually bearing/race failure. Most of the OEM bearings that people think need grease added are actually perfect...
Are you saying the amount of grease that comes in the bearings when the bike is new is fine?
JBecker 72
6/25/2019 4:59am Edited Date/Time 6/25/2019 5:00am
Timo_2824 wrote:
People who like to add grease, just be aware it's possible to over grease bearings. Too much grease will cause the balls/needles/rollers to slide instead of...
“Perfect amount of grease” Grinning

Brand new KX450F with 1 hour on it. Every bearing was like this. The only grease was whatever preservative came in the bearing package.
brapgod69
6/25/2019 5:17am
JBecker 72 wrote:
“Perfect amount of grease” :lol: [img]https://i.postimg.cc/TY4dDNBq/A54-CA3-EE-5-DEA-4778-B2-F1-8857-E66073-B3.jpg[/img] Brand new KX450F with 1 hour on it. Every bearing was like this. The only grease was whatever preservative came...

Brand new KX450F with 1 hour on it. Every bearing was like this. The only grease was whatever preservative came in the bearing package.
And people call me crazy for disassembling a new bike to grease the bearings before riding it.
Payup_199
6/25/2019 5:28am
Timo_2824 wrote:
JBecker 72 wrote:
“Perfect amount of grease” :lol: [img]https://i.postimg.cc/TY4dDNBq/A54-CA3-EE-5-DEA-4778-B2-F1-8857-E66073-B3.jpg[/img] Brand new KX450F with 1 hour on it. Every bearing was like this. The only grease was whatever preservative came...

QUESTION: I bought a new 19 KX250 and want to grease this, looks like there is a special castle type nut to take off under the top triple clamp. Where can I buy this special socket so I can correctly torque that back down? Looks like Kawi just sells a wrench.
kb228
6/25/2019 5:47am
Timo_2824 wrote:
JBecker 72 wrote:

Payup_199 wrote:
QUESTION: I bought a new 19 KX250 and want to grease this, looks like there is a special castle type nut to take off under the...
QUESTION: I bought a new 19 KX250 and want to grease this, looks like there is a special castle type nut to take off under the top triple clamp. Where can I buy this special socket so I can correctly torque that back down? Looks like Kawi just sells a wrench.
You need a spanner wrench. They make them with a 3/8” square hole for a torque wrench
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
6/25/2019 5:48am
Timo_2824 wrote:
JBecker 72 wrote:

Payup_199 wrote:
QUESTION: I bought a new 19 KX250 and want to grease this, looks like there is a special castle type nut to take off under the...
do you have a clutch holder tool? mine worked perfect for removing the nut on my kx250 2st. I believe a spanner wrench like the ones to adjust sag on a rear shock will also work.
colvin227
6/25/2019 6:05am Edited Date/Time 6/25/2019 6:09am
Timo_2824 wrote:
JBecker 72 wrote:

Payup_199 wrote:
You don’t torque it per say. It’s more a tension type nut used as an adjuster. You get it snuck and then You DO torque the top nut to secure and Clamp it all together. Then You check your steering tension and if it’s too loose then adjust that castellated nut accordingly until you reach your desired tension. The top nut is the one you need to worry about being torqued to a value. Again the castellated nut is set to riders desired steering free play more less.

I use a small flat brass punch and hammer to adjust mine. BRASS is important as it is very soft and will not mar up and crush the castellations like using a flathead will.
Barnett117
Fantasy
397th
6/25/2019 6:15am
Dusty212x wrote:
Okay so I just got done with a rebuild on a 2004 cr125r and all my bearings went to shit after 2 rides. Swing arm moves...
Okay so I just got done with a rebuild on a 2004 cr125r and all my bearings went to shit after 2 rides. Swing arm moves like I didn't even change them out. Anyone have the same problems?

Kind of biased as I work for the company but SteelHorse Innovations makes a greasable swing arm kit. All American made stuff (American steel and all processes done in America) Even comes plated for added corrosion prevention. Not all makes and models are available yet but there are some popular options. Check it out if you'd like. www.steelhorseinnovations.com
colvin227
6/25/2019 6:18am
Has anyone got any feedback on the rfx or prox bearing kits?
Can’t speak for rfx but ProX is usually very close to OEM or in most cases is the exact same part as OEM. Case in point, fork seals I have seen have been the identical NOK seals as OEM. Same casting marks, same part numbers. ProX is usually a very good OEM replacement and I wouldn’t hesitate to use them if there was a formidable kit.
colvin227
6/25/2019 6:24am
Dusty212x wrote:
Okay so I just got done with a rebuild on a 2004 cr125r and all my bearings went to shit after 2 rides. Swing arm moves...

Barnett117 wrote:
Kind of biased as I work for the company but SteelHorse Innovations makes a greasable swing arm kit. All American made stuff (American steel and all...
Kind of biased as I work for the company but SteelHorse Innovations makes a greasable swing arm kit. All American made stuff (American steel and all processes done in America) Even comes plated for added corrosion prevention. Not all makes and models are available yet but there are some popular options. Check it out if you'd like. www.steelhorseinnovations.com
Looks like a cool concept, smarter not harder!
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
6/25/2019 8:46am
RichieW13 wrote:

colvin227 wrote:
That’s always the best bet. You get what you pay for and OEM is usually the best for stuff like that. A lot of R&D and...
That’s always the best bet. You get what you pay for and OEM is usually the best for stuff like that. A lot of R&D and stress testing is done to each part.
Yeah, at least 95% of the parts I use are OEM. I figure Honda knows what they are doing, and I value reliability since I do most of my riding in the desert, far away from my truck. I even prefer to stick to the heavy, stock exhaust on my CRF450X!
BobPA
6/25/2019 9:37am
A few years ago I would have considered Pivot Works to be the best aftermarket option. But, in the last few years I have noticed that their packaging, bearings, and seals bear a very close resemblance to that of the All Balls and Moose products. Which, in my opinion, are only good to spruce up a bike prior to a sale. Their bearing quality seems descent, but the seals do not hold up well IMO.
HackMan162
6/25/2019 11:04am
All the chinese ones are crap. All Ballz, PivotWorks, etc. OEM is best, but can often times get a match on the bearing at a bearing supply house and get a Koyo (japanese) bearing, or the brand that makes SKF seals (cant remember it off-hand).
AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
6/25/2019 11:31am
Get OEM seals and source the bearings from a bearing distributor. NSK, NTN, Koyo are all from Japanese suppliers and high quality bearings. INA, FAG, Timken, SKF, Torrington are of the same quality level of the Japanese as well.

I wouldn't put china bearings on my wheelbarrow.
40acres
6/25/2019 11:52am
I've used all balls and PW numerous times with only a single issue. That issue appeared on my street bike and was due to improper installation. The good thing about PW is they offer a warranty. Sent them photos of the trashed bearing and the new bearing was in the mail within 2 days. Installed it correctly and it is still going to this day, 3 years later, with no issues.

So, ensure you're installing them correctly and you should be fine.

Post a reply to: Pivot Works linkage bearings. JUNK!?

The Latest