Pittsburgh area dealership broken into

ferg722
1/8/2019 6:56am Edited Date/Time 1/10/2019 10:33pm
Lame. Hoping it doesn’t become a trend around here or anywhere..

https://www.wtae.com/article/police-investigate-burglary-at-moon-townsh…

|
newmann
1/8/2019 10:11am
The Amish street gangs strike again.
Bry145
1/9/2019 11:04am
newmann wrote:
There aren't very many Amish in Moon Township, PA.

I'm surprised dealerships in Pittsburgh are able to stay afloat with the decline in local moto racing and aging demographics and such.

If dealers are giving bikes away and mail order is stealing part and accessory sales, how long will local shops stick around?

The Shop

1/9/2019 11:06am
Crazy how the dirtbike wheelie epidemic yields breaking into dealerships and leaving $10-15,000 hogs sitting there. They want them wheelie machines.
calcoast
1/9/2019 11:19am
You would think dealerships would start investing in steel gates. Both dealships by me have thick steel bars behind every inch of glass.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
262nd
1/9/2019 11:40am
calcoast wrote:
You would think dealerships would start investing in steel gates. Both dealships by me have thick steel bars behind every inch of glass.
But, they say barriers don't work?
Donovan759
1/9/2019 11:42am
newmann wrote:
Bry145 wrote:
There aren't very many Amish in Moon Township, PA. I'm surprised dealerships in Pittsburgh are able to stay afloat with the decline in local moto racing...

I'm surprised dealerships in Pittsburgh are able to stay afloat with the decline in local moto racing and aging demographics and such.

If dealers are giving bikes away and mail order is stealing part and accessory sales, how long will local shops stick around?

Gattos & especially Lojaks are doing pretty well IMO. No shortage of moto out this direction. I'm surprised dealerships down in moon & similar areas are able to stay afloat though.
holeshot100
1/9/2019 1:01pm
Many years ago a dealer local to us just starting parking their shop truck in front of the doors
neverwas
Fantasy
868th
1/9/2019 1:18pm
newmann wrote:
Bry145 wrote:
There aren't very many Amish in Moon Township, PA. I'm surprised dealerships in Pittsburgh are able to stay afloat with the decline in local moto racing...

They sell side by sides and street bikes,much more profit in those than a MX bike.
calcoast
1/9/2019 3:55pm
calcoast wrote:
AHRMA361 wrote:
But, they say barriers don't work?
No but tunnels do.
1/9/2019 4:20pm
Local dealership near me started parking the side by sides in a line across the front of the store and two in front of the door at night after two break ins. By the time they'd break the glass and get them out of the way it'd be too late.
imoto34
Fantasy
3151st
1/9/2019 4:31pm
Many years ago a dealer local to us just starting parking their shop truck in front of the doors
Great ideal, one guy could haul a few bikes away.
Bry145
1/9/2019 6:13pm
neverwas wrote:
They sell side by sides and street bikes,much more profit in those than a MX bike.
Where do people ride side by sides in Western Pennsylvania? It's all woods, city, or suburbia.

This is one of the oldest regions in the country by demographics. How many 70 year olds are ripping around in side by sides or R1s? The town where I am from has the same median age as Japan, which is the oldest country by demographics.

Doddy
1/10/2019 1:05pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2019 1:09pm
In Vegas they have guards with 30 round Glocks. Seems like a great idea.
Donovan759
1/10/2019 1:18pm
neverwas wrote:
Bry145 wrote:
Where do people ride side by sides in Western Pennsylvania? It's all woods, city, or suburbia. This is one of the oldest regions in the country...
Where do people ride side by sides in Western Pennsylvania? It's all woods, city, or suburbia.

This is one of the oldest regions in the country by demographics. How many 70 year olds are ripping around in side by sides or R1s? The town where I am from has the same median age as Japan, which is the oldest country by demographics.

Its like you live in a different world haha... Everyone out here (Natrona heights, Tarentum, Butler, and everything north of that) has a side by side. Its the new thing. Bunch of red necks racing around in the woods. Just makes it more dangerous for bikes out in the trails. Instead of getting hit by quad riders, you have to worry about getting hit by the equivalent to a small stadium truck.
OldPro277
1/10/2019 3:08pm
neverwas wrote:
Bry145 wrote:
Where do people ride side by sides in Western Pennsylvania? It's all woods, city, or suburbia. This is one of the oldest regions in the country...

Donovan759 wrote:
Its like you live in a different world haha... Everyone out here (Natrona heights, Tarentum, Butler, and everything north of that) has a side by side...
Its like you live in a different world haha... Everyone out here (Natrona heights, Tarentum, Butler, and everything north of that) has a side by side. Its the new thing. Bunch of red necks racing around in the woods. Just makes it more dangerous for bikes out in the trails. Instead of getting hit by quad riders, you have to worry about getting hit by the equivalent to a small stadium truck.
To add to that. The SXS crowd has absolutely ruined so many of our long-time prime riding spots in the Avonmore,Apollo, Saltsburg area that its a damn shame. They seem to have a habit of leaving tremendous amounts of beer bottles/trash etc. on peoples property and the landowners have shut those areas down because of it.

But Donovan, I will go on record ,as I've done many times , that the Moto crowd in our area is a dying shell of its former self. Even as short as 10 years ago the A gates were nearly full (well at least 20-25 ) now you're lucky to have 5 . They even have got to the point where they have combined the 250 A and B classes and call it the "AllStar class" because they couldn't get enough guys separately, and even THAT class usually has less than 10 guys on the gate. other classes have similar weak turnouts, with the exception of the 250C class which still gets a decent gate. But the woods racing segment (AWRCS) have come on strong in recent years and they get a helluva turnout compared to the Moto side of things.

But all that being said, the dealerships are making whatever profit they are from the quad/SXS crowd. I've been good friends with the Lojak boys since the mid 70's and they've always said that there is almost zero profit on the race bikes, every racer expects to be a "sponsored" rider,lol, so the dirt bike sales are basically just turning dollars. The profit comes from the 4 wheel crowd and the accessories that they buy.
Indy mxer
1/10/2019 5:06pm
Bry145 wrote:

Donovan759 wrote:
Its like you live in a different world haha... Everyone out here (Natrona heights, Tarentum, Butler, and everything north of that) has a side by side...
OldPro277 wrote:
To add to that. The SXS crowd has absolutely ruined so many of our long-time prime riding spots in the Avonmore,Apollo, Saltsburg area that its a...
To add to that. The SXS crowd has absolutely ruined so many of our long-time prime riding spots in the Avonmore,Apollo, Saltsburg area that its a damn shame. They seem to have a habit of leaving tremendous amounts of beer bottles/trash etc. on peoples property and the landowners have shut those areas down because of it.

But Donovan, I will go on record ,as I've done many times , that the Moto crowd in our area is a dying shell of its former self. Even as short as 10 years ago the A gates were nearly full (well at least 20-25 ) now you're lucky to have 5 . They even have got to the point where they have combined the 250 A and B classes and call it the "AllStar class" because they couldn't get enough guys separately, and even THAT class usually has less than 10 guys on the gate. other classes have similar weak turnouts, with the exception of the 250C class which still gets a decent gate. But the woods racing segment (AWRCS) have come on strong in recent years and they get a helluva turnout compared to the Moto side of things.

But all that being said, the dealerships are making whatever profit they are from the quad/SXS crowd. I've been good friends with the Lojak boys since the mid 70's and they've always said that there is almost zero profit on the race bikes, every racer expects to be a "sponsored" rider,lol, so the dirt bike sales are basically just turning dollars. The profit comes from the 4 wheel crowd and the accessories that they buy.
Yep.
My brother is a longtime Polaris/Kaw/Suz dealer here. Sells a shit ton of SxS's and to a lesser extent quads.
He sells mx bikes because he has some loyal customers, me included that still ride moto. Plus he's still into and loves mx.

But he would be the first to tell you there's no money in mx bikes. Riders expect to get them for damn near cost, then order most of their parts and gear online.

Say what you want about the SxS and quad guys ( we have a Kawasaki Teryx), but they buy lots of add on accessories and parts. Plus they keep the service dept busy. lol

For a small town, mostly rural dealer that's where the money is. And trust me it's a tough business.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
1/10/2019 5:15pm
At the dealer I used to work for, someone broke into and hotwired the shop truck. Then they used it as a battering ram to break through the side of the building so they could steal bikes.
Effing thieves. Angry
mikec265
1/10/2019 10:05pm
neverwas wrote:
Bry145 wrote:

Mostly on the roads drinking beer where I live.
Bry145
1/10/2019 10:33pm
OldPro277 wrote:
To add to that. The SXS crowd has absolutely ruined so many of our long-time prime riding spots in the Avonmore,Apollo, Saltsburg area that its a...

Lojak's made me a very good deal on my YZ250. I didn't even have to ask.

I think the culprip is the changing demographics and younger people having other things to do.

A lot of employers do not want to pay people well enough to cover living expenses and have enough left over to moto.

I've gotten into mountain biking because it is so darned affordable. I even rode today. Cost: maybe a half gallon of gasoline and some chain lube.

People need to have the money and places to ride for moto to continue on.

Post a reply to: Pittsburgh area dealership broken into

The Latest