Pit Bits: Jordan Smith's forks

mark911
2/25/2019 5:48pm
Mm471 wrote:
Even if it’s a safety issue with the lower unit that should still be illegal do to it being an extra cost and can be up...
Even if it’s a safety issue with the lower unit that should still be illegal do to it being an extra cost and can be up to the rider, a lot even replace frames
The forks cost(labor,materials,techniques) is most likely over the cost limit and they’d take a loss selling them at the max price making them illegal
Manufacturing and material wise, the 52s shouldn't be much more expensive than a set of 48s. The same machine tools and tolerances would be used for both, although adjusted for the larger tubes. In fact, the entire damping cartridge is identical, save for the composite spring seat. Of course, the VOLUME of 48s vs 52s is much greater so the economics of scale will make the 48s cheaper, BUT, that's just because WP chooses not to make the 52s available. Given equal production runs I don't see a significant difference in costs to produce, not when talking that kind of money anyway.

Funny thing. you CAN buy triple clamps from WP for the 52s all day long. Even listed in their production catalog.
Helda
2/26/2019 8:48am
The 52's are an aluminium lover tube aren't they?
mx317
2/26/2019 8:55am
Helda wrote:
yes
GODZILLA
2/26/2019 9:48am
Helda wrote:
So does my wife.
Laughing

The Shop

Bramlett321
2/26/2019 10:23am
Hudd_421 wrote:
Doesn't matter. Give privateer those forks and it wont change results one bit.
Is this the Hudd that rides Johnsonville on a Husky 450??
ACBraap
Fantasy
450th
2/26/2019 11:46am
If you think the PC/Geico/Star/JGR bikes are following this rule then I have news for you...
ML512 wrote:
The KYB forks and shocks on the Geico and Star bikes are completely within the rules. I can personally vouch on those sets.
Will there be a review on those products forthcoming?
Hudd_421
2/26/2019 11:49am
Hudd_421 wrote:
Is this the Hudd that rides Johnsonville on a Husky 450??
Different Hudd, but we say tell everyone we're cousins! haha
kripple428
2/26/2019 11:59am
Hudd_421 wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
If the forks don't matter, and don't improve performance, then there would be no reason to have them on Smith's bike in the first place......
Hudd_421 wrote:
The forks matter only to those who can utilize and benefit from their advantages. For example, you or I would not be able to notice any...
The forks matter only to those who can utilize and benefit from their advantages.

For example, you or I would not be able to notice any improvement between a really good set up pair of stock forks vs an A kit set of forks...
I highly disagree I’m a local 25+ rider I have a a Kwai 450 with A kit I also have a very well set up pair of forks that were done by PC and are a lot better than stock and I can tell a huuuuuuuge difference between the stock and the A kit
Mit12
2/26/2019 5:11pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2019 5:12pm
I would bet that a rider could get the forks and shock if they were to go to the AMA and file a protest. In saying that my statement about doing the the privateers a favor by not selling them these high priced suspension parts is just a reality. There are only a hand full of 250 riders that would benifit from these parts and 99% of them are on factory teams and have access to them or what is equal by other brands. Does this make it right? No it does not but I am sure that these guys could use the money to help fund their entire program and be better off than spending that kind of money on something that will not make for better results.
2/26/2019 10:53pm
Hudd_421 wrote:
The forks matter only to those who can utilize and benefit from their advantages. For example, you or I would not be able to notice any...
The forks matter only to those who can utilize and benefit from their advantages.

For example, you or I would not be able to notice any improvement between a really good set up pair of stock forks vs an A kit set of forks...
I actually kind of agree with you in a way. I agree that most people just buy expensive mods to their bikes and say they feel great and they’re much faster, yet when you bring out the stopwatch or go to the next race there isn’t any difference. I’ve been around a couple of those side by side comparison stopwatch sessions after someone has said they would be faster with that or those parts on their bike, and the results are quite surprising. I also know a couple of guys who have had their hands on those 52mm forks and said you really need to know what you’re doing if you want to make a difference with them.

With that said, I also think rules are rules and we’re talking about a professional racing series and not the local hero here. If the rules say everyone should be able to run them, they should be able to run them if they think it would help them get better results, end of story.

Post a reply to: Pit Bits: Jordan Smith's forks

The Latest