Pit Bits: Jordan Smith's forks

Related:
Create New Tag

2/24/2019 7:04 AM

Saw in Pit Bits people were talking about Jordan's forks. First I have heard of it. What is the issue?

|

Instagram: logi.bear93
Youtube: Logi. Bear93

2/24/2019 7:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/24/2019 7:13 AM

he found the setup everyone was looking for, bro

|

2/24/2019 7:09 AM

I’m not sure what the issue with the forks could be?

|

2/24/2019 7:15 AM

Isn’t the suspension rule different in the 250 class where any rider has to be able to purchase any of the components used? Maybe those are 52mm forks which aren’t available unless you’re a factory rider?

|

Edited Date/Time: 2/24/2019 7:17 AM

Homologation, I’m super surprised this hasn’t been an issue before. The 250 class has a rule about the availability and price of 250 suspension and the stuff TLD uses isn’t really available to the public and even privateers struggle to get them if they have the coin. The 52mm forks are floating around from time to time to buy on the used market but if you hit WP up directly, they won’t sell them. The last time I heard of someone pressing the issue they were told something along the lines of they had to be on their service program, buy x amount of sets, etc...

Their shocks this year aren’t available for purchase yet either, they’re still a few months out I believe, maybe longer.

|

Edited Date/Time: 2/24/2019 7:16 AM

Is he running the 52mm Cone Valve forks? Not available to the public...

|

2/24/2019 7:24 AM

So seeing ML's post to confirm, my opinion is he should be disqualified from every race he has entered with those forks and shock. Not cool at all, I have no tolerance for cheaters and they knew what the rules were!

|

2/24/2019 7:29 AM

This sounds fishy, If the rule is like it used to be, one should be limited to a certain price. It used to be somewhere around $8,000 for "store bought" components. Of course, they could be modified afterwards, but this sounds wrong.

|

2/24/2019 7:38 AM

slipdog wrote:

So seeing ML's post to confirm, my opinion is he should be disqualified from every race he has entered with those forks and shock. Not cool at all, I have no tolerance for cheaters and they knew what the rules were!

Damn, first time I have seen slip get pissed about something.

|

2/24/2019 7:45 AM

Automatic disqualification if that's the case.

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

2/24/2019 7:52 AM

slipdog wrote:

Yup 100% agree

|

2/24/2019 7:58 AM

ML512 wrote:

Homologation, I’m super surprised this hasn’t been an issue before. The 250 class has a rule about the availability and price of 250 suspension and the stuff TLD uses isn’t really available to the public and even privateers struggle to get them if they have the coin. The 52mm forks are floating around from time to time to buy on the used market but if you hit WP up directly, they won’t sell them. The last time I heard of someone pressing the issue they were told something along the lines of they had to be on their service program, buy x amount of sets, etc...

Their shocks this year aren’t available for purchase yet either, they’re still a few months out I believe, maybe longer.

Thanks for the info, I was unaware of that rule.

|

Instagram: logi.bear93
Youtube: Logi. Bear93

2/24/2019 8:04 AM

Should definitely get DQd and loss of points from every race this season until they are in compliance. Those rules are there for a reason.

|

Arroyo Seco Raceway www.asmaracing.com

2/24/2019 8:06 AM

slipdog wrote:

DPR250R wrote:

Damn, first time I have seen slip get pissed about something.

Haha, well no one can tell me that a team like TLD doesn't know they're not supposed to run unavailable suspension in the 250 class.

Just like now, I knew a large portion of the 125 class was running big bores when I was a privateer in the '90's but it never once was a consideration for me. I was raised to do the right thing and my bikes would have always passed a teardown. Of course, nobody was protesting a mid-pack privateer and my money would have been better spent on a personal trainer than an RPM 167 kit, lol

|

2/24/2019 8:26 AM

Rules are rules.

|

2/24/2019 8:27 AM

Bailey & Mosiman have the forks as well.

Jordon also used the forks in the outdoors

|

2/24/2019 8:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/24/2019 8:37 AM

So the husky and Ktm factory 250 boys get to do this shit but broc tickle can’t take preworkout? WORD.

|

2/24/2019 8:44 AM

The 250 KTM and Husky team have used the 52mm forks for years. Prior to TLD when KTM operates their 250 team they were on 52s too. Musquin and Roczen won their 250 titles on them.

|

2/24/2019 8:48 AM

The weird thing, I think the rule is too loosely written. It basically states that a privateer has to be able to purchase the suspension under a certain price cap. Pro Circuit’s A-kits were above that price the last time I checked but I believe if you take them your pro card, they have to sell them to you within that price range or something like that. In the WP case, I think they could say something like “we will sell them for that price but you have to buy four sets, have us service them, blah blah blah...” or something along those lines. Basically, the rules need to be better defined for the 250 class suspension.

|

2/24/2019 8:50 AM

Slip, wanna try buying a set on next week and seeing what you’re told?

|

2/24/2019 8:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/24/2019 8:54 AM

ML512 wrote:

The weird thing, I think the rule is too loosely written. It basically states that a privateer has to be able to purchase the suspension under a certain price cap. Pro Circuit’s A-kits were above that price the last time I checked but I believe if you take them your pro card, they have to sell them to you within that price range or something like that. In the WP case, I think they could say something like “we will sell them for that price but you have to buy four sets, have us service them, blah blah blah...” or something along those lines. Basically, the rules need to be better defined for the 250 class suspension.

So, much like everything in life...if there's a gray area...people will find it.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

2/24/2019 9:00 AM

Yet the AMA passes them through tech every week.whistling

|

2/24/2019 9:19 AM

ML512 wrote:

Slip, wanna try buying a set on next week and seeing what you’re told?

I'm sure they'd just laugh at me.

I sold 3 sets in the bazzar section last summer because I couldn't even get fork seals to service them for the riders. Originally the rider was put on "the teams" list he got them from to purchase parts from WP then they changed the policy to all 52's must be sent in by the team to be serviced by WP. or so we were told. My WP supplier couldn't get a thing from them for me so now my guy is on 48's.

|

2/24/2019 9:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/24/2019 9:48 AM

AMA is too busy DQ'ing people for stuffing guys in corners to bother enforcing their own rules

|

2/24/2019 10:49 AM

Adam43 wrote:

AMA is too busy DQ'ing people for stuffing guys in corners to bother enforcing their own rules

Yep let's say a guy like Cunningham shows up with a set of forks like these. No doubt he would be stopped by the AMA and Dq'd.

|

2/24/2019 10:55 AM

Adam43 wrote:

mb60 wrote:

Yep let's say a guy like Cunningham shows up with a set of forks like these. No doubt he would be stopped by the AMA and Dq'd.

Politics.. Gotta luv MERICA..

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

2/24/2019 11:11 AM

I’ve been trying to run 52’s for a couple years now... we even tried to get a deal this year with the team to get them for us, WP said no.... so we’re on 48’s ?

|

2/24/2019 11:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/24/2019 11:27 AM

Adam43 wrote:

mb60 wrote:

Nope, a couple privateers over the years have had sets that they were able to source them through back channels. Cunningham would flow right through tech on a KTM with 52s.

|

2/24/2019 11:14 AM

JustinStarling_ wrote:

I’ve been trying to run 52’s for a couple years now... we even tried to get a deal this year with the team to get them for us, WP said no.... so we’re on 48’s ?

If YOU can't get 'em...I'd say the homolgamation rule may being "bent" a little.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

2/24/2019 12:24 PM

JustinStarling_ wrote:

Go to AMA and complain. If you cant buy them they are illegal to use by other teams. simple.

|