Pit Bits Fuel question?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/31/2018 7:34 PM

In one of the Washougal Pit Bit photos, it shows a fuel can from ETS-RACING and is stated don't stand down wind of it. Maybe ML will chime in but what makes this stuff different from Renegade or VP?

|

7/31/2018 8:01 PM

Nitrofunnycar wrote:

In one of the Washougal Pit Bit photos, it shows a fuel can from ETS-RACING and is stated don't stand down wind of it. Maybe ...more

Great fuel from.france. Very strong fumes. Lol. I.think.ktm and husky teams are using it.

|

7/31/2018 8:04 PM

It always cracks me up at the supercross pits where the smell of fuel is so bad but people breath it in like its perfume.... cancer in a can is more realistic

|

7/31/2018 10:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/31/2018 10:25 PM

Nitrofunnycar wrote:

In one of the Washougal Pit Bit photos, it shows a fuel can from ETS-RACING and is stated don't stand down wind of it. Maybe ...more

I’m not sure if what’s in it but I can’t be near it, I start to cough and gag instantly. I can tell I’m behind bike running it on track, instantly...

|

8/1/2018 7:37 AM

After the Dungey incident at Freestone, Roger and Co. started looking for other fuel suppliers, specifically fuel that boils at a much higher temp. (As you might recall, Dungey didn't finish the race because he ran out of fuel, a result of his fuel boiling due to high temps.)

ETS has a much higher boiling point than Renegade and VP which is why both Factory KTM and Rockstar Husky are using it.

Take one whiff of that stuff and it will give you an instant headache. A gas-huffer's dream come true. haha

|

8/1/2018 7:45 AM

KTM sells ETS fuels (or did) branded KTM. They even have a fuel already premixed for two strokes. I tried it, but didn't notice a smell that bad so it must not have been the same stuff.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

8/1/2018 8:11 AM

mx317 wrote:

KTM sells ETS fuels (or did) branded KTM. They even have a fuel already premixed for two strokes. I tried it, but didn't ...more

Different stuff

|

8/1/2018 11:22 AM

I find it ironicl how part of the two strokes demise in proMX was due to the abolishment of leaded fuel by the AMA. This puts a well tuned two stroke engine at a horsepower disadvantage. Of course there was a large amount of public and private research into the harmful effects of leaded fuel due to the vast general usage of it back in the day. As a result stations were banned from selling it except for racing purposes. This limited availability was also used as an excuse by the AMA to ban leaded fuel; it wasn't readily available to the race teams.

But are these elixers they're running in the four strokes any safer? These modern race fuels are special blends not in use by the general public so the potential harmful effects from them have likely not been studied extensively. I know when I walk into a enclosed dome for a SX race I get a burning sensation in my nostrils when entering the facility. I never noticed this when the two strokes were racing.

I guess the electric bikes will solve this issue.

|

8/1/2018 3:55 PM

I was thinking about how much I don't like the smell of 4 stroke race gas exhaust and how much I miss the smell of Klotz castor bean oil. All of the sudden I thought, "why not run Klotz in my weed whacker, leaf blower, chain saw?" Wasn't even sure if they still made the stuff. Google says they do and a quick look at the reviews told me I was late to the game. Lots of old moto guys use it in their lawn equipment...just for that beautiful smell. A bit pricey but worth it I reckon. Amazon, hook me up.tongue

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

8/1/2018 4:01 PM

Nitrofunnycar wrote:

ML512 wrote:

I’m not sure if what’s in it but I can’t be near it, I start to cough and gag instantly. I can tell I’m behind bike running it ...more

I've posted issues of the wretched smell in my shop from even SEALED cans of VP MRX02 ... faaagettaboutit when they are opened, so very nasty stuff. Are you saying that ETS is even worse? WOW!

Back in the day I ran c12, little to no smell, then moved onto MR2, which was pretty nasty, and then onto 4.4 which was fairly potent, but this MRX02 is in a class all its own. Sure makes for a great running bike, but wow is it pungent. I cant imagine ETS.

|

8/1/2018 4:13 PM

Zaugg wrote:

After the Dungey incident at Freestone, Roger and Co. started looking for other fuel suppliers, specifically fuel that boils ...more

As you might recall, Dungey didn't finish the race because he ran out of fuel, a result of his fuel boiling due to high temps.

Well, that was one story that was floating around. Do we know that as fact?
|

8/1/2018 4:18 PM

That's the accepted narrative. Fuel boiled in the tank and he ran out of gas. If I'm not mistaken, he was also on a Zook so this is more a mandate from Roger than KTM.

To your point...we may never know the truth but the boiled fuel theory is very plausible. haha

|

8/1/2018 4:31 PM

So Roger made Ryan lay down? Who for and why?

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

8/1/2018 4:38 PM

Nitrofunnycar wrote:

ML512 wrote:

I’m not sure if what’s in it but I can’t be near it, I start to cough and gag instantly. I can tell I’m behind bike running it ...more

nch209 wrote:

I've posted issues of the wretched smell in my shop from even SEALED cans of VP MRX02 ... faaagettaboutit when they are ...more

MRX and ETS are both horrible for me to be around, I can't open a gas tank in a shop if those have been in it. I have to take them outside to air out...

|

8/1/2018 5:25 PM

I like the smell of 4.4? Apparently I am cancer waiting to happen.

|

8/1/2018 5:29 PM

nascarnate326 wrote:

What's really entertaining is looking at the sky after a start like this....and noticing how many muffler packing fragments are floating in the air.

Photo

|

8/1/2018 5:33 PM

nascarnate326 wrote:

GuyB wrote:

What's really entertaining is looking at the sky after a start like this....and noticing how many muffler packing fragments ...more

No kidding. I have to repack my obnoxiously loud 4 stroke exhaust way too often. 10 hours and the can is empty.

|

8/1/2018 5:42 PM

Zaugg wrote:

After the Dungey incident at Freestone, Roger and Co. started looking for other fuel suppliers, specifically fuel that boils ...more

newmann wrote: As you might recall, Dungey didn't finish the race because he ran out of fuel, a result of his fuel boiling due to high temps. ...more

Happened to Metcalfe at Southwick one year as well.

|

8/1/2018 5:48 PM

nascarnate326 wrote:

GuyB wrote:

What's really entertaining is looking at the sky after a start like this....and noticing how many muffler packing fragments ...more

plowboy wrote:

No kidding. I have to repack my obnoxiously loud 4 stroke exhaust way too often. 10 hours and the can is empty.

Try Bristol Core packing.

|

8/1/2018 6:05 PM

Nitrofunnycar wrote:

ML512 wrote:

nch209 wrote:

I've posted issues of the wretched smell in my shop from even SEALED cans of VP MRX02 ... faaagettaboutit when they are ...more

Motorsports are awesome because of the overwhelming stimulation of multiple senses. Smell is one of them. Long live race gas. Need me some ETS. Distributor is fairly close. Always remap for race gas guys. Huge difference.

|

8/1/2018 6:16 PM

go to nhhra mellow yellow drag racing go to the nitro pits when they fire the car, tony shumaker john force and antron brown will make you wish you were just huffin bike gas

|

8/1/2018 6:16 PM

OldYZRider1 wrote:

I find it ironicl how part of the two strokes demise in proMX was due to the abolishment of leaded fuel by the AMA. This puts ...more

Ironically enough, the trace lead allowed in unleaded pump gas is too much for the AMA rules. That was one of the points I remember from Ricky's fuel debacle, that pump gas could very well fail and still be considered "unleaded".

For really nasty fuels, look up the "rocket fuels" used in Formula 1 in the 80's.

|

8/1/2018 6:26 PM

Nitrofunnycar wrote:

ML512 wrote:

nch209 wrote:

Our team uses ets now that ktm helps us out and just having it in the bikes gas tank makes the whole shop smell horrible, it’s even worse in the practice rig especially which it shaking around on the way to Lake Elsinore. But yes it is way worse smell wise then any of the fuels vp or renegade sell

|

8/1/2018 11:02 PM

If the AMA doesn't allow leaded fuel in pro motocross, I would prefer it be banned from local tracks.
I'd rather not breath anything toxic, especially for hours at a time.

|

8/2/2018 12:06 AM

Radical wrote:

If the AMA doesn't allow leaded fuel in pro motocross, I would prefer it be banned from local tracks.
I'd rather not breath ...more

Is it so bad that you might consider staying home to avoid it?

|

8/2/2018 3:51 AM

Perhaps smelly fuel could be the next performance advantage. Have a fuel so smelly that the guy behind you has to fall back to get some fresh air. Never get passed again.

I've never caught a whiff, but the iPone 2st premix oil used to smell of strawberry. Not sure if it still does.

|

8/2/2018 7:54 PM

Radical wrote:

KDXGarage wrote:

No, but I will ride a different track if needed at the same facility.

There's no reason for any of us to breath extremely toxic chemicals. Exhaust and dirt are enough smile.

|

8/2/2018 8:05 PM

Radical wrote:

KDXGarage wrote:

Radical wrote:

No, but I will ride a different track if needed at the same facility.

There's no reason for any of us to breath extremely ...more

Toxic chemicals in motorsports??? You don't say......

|