Pissed with Peacock over NO HDMI sharing!

Related:
Create New Tag

2/22/2021 7:46 AM

Whenever we camp at a track or the desert for the weekend, I always set up my projector screen and we'll sit around the fire and enjoy some supercross. With the previous NBC Sports GOLD app, we never had any issues, but with this new Peacock app I was having issues getting the replay to share from the app on my phone, to the projector. At first I thought it was something to do with my HDMI cable, but after doing some searching on the interwebs, I realized that I'm not the only one dealing with this issue and that it's by design that the Peacock app does not support sharing or screen mirroring, etc. Which is 100% bullshit to me! Unless I'm missing something, it seems that the next time we're camping and we want to watch the races, we'll need either a smart TV or a smart projector with the Peacock app installed? Does anyone have any experience with adding the Peacock app to a smart projector, because I'm not exactly thrilled with hauling around a flat screen in our trailer that will be prone to damage.

Any help is much appreciated!

Photo
|

Do It In The Dirt!

2/22/2021 8:08 AM

That is easily my biggest issue with Peacock. We found out about this a few weeks ago. That's how we would watch the race at my parents house. Ended up finding out how to side download the app onto our firestick since Peacock doesn't have an app available for firestick yet(my second biggest issue with them).

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

2/22/2021 8:13 AM

Not that you want to spend anymore money, but my recent Chromecast with Google TV HDMI dongle has the Peacock app in it. Actually enabled one of my older TV's to watch races. $50. Then I'd guess you could hotspot your phone for the WiFi connection at the track.

|

2/22/2021 8:37 AM

KurtJ99 wrote:

Not that you want to spend anymore money, but my recent Chromecast with Google TV HDMI dongle has the Peacock app in it. ...more

I did exactly that with a Roku in my hotel on Sat.

|

2/22/2021 8:54 AM

They have an APP for that. Who knows if it works though.

|

2/22/2021 8:56 AM

Had a similar issue using an apple adaptor for iphone or iPad to HDMI. Both devices would only play the sound, no picture. Other apps it plays just fine. My fire tv box is an old gen so the work around download of Peacock didn’t work period. Would load for a split second, then go back to menu. Like the OP, I poked around on some forums and found out that it’s a “feature” of the app.

The consensus for the guys whose devices screen share did work with was that the app didn’t work correctly. It is designed to not be able to screen share. Now, if I wanted to buy a new 4K fire stick, or the latest greatest Apple TV ( I own one of the early versions of it that can’t download new apps, or screen share) I would be in business, but I’ve spent enough on this crap over the years. So, went and bought a cheapy ROKU and it works fine... only after having to add a credit card for purchases i will never make.

I know I’m approaching “get off my lawn” guy level of grumpiness, but man I’m tired of having to drop money on more and more devices, that will be obsolete every time bike racing changes it’s mind on who is going to show it.

|

2/22/2021 10:25 AM

I've been watching the Peacock broadcasts by screen sharing from my laptop via HDMI to my TV with no issues.

|

2/22/2021 10:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/22/2021 10:30 AM

RbR wrote:

I've been watching the Peacock broadcasts by screen sharing from my laptop via HDMI to my TV with no issues.

Thread is in regard to the mobile app.

|

2/22/2021 10:33 AM

The simple fix is use your phone as a hotspot for your computer with HDMI to your tv/projector

|

2/22/2021 10:38 AM

I also have no problem using hdmi between my laptop and tv. I do it all the tim.

The thread title doesn’t specific mobile app only.

|

2/22/2021 10:55 AM

Layton wrote:

I also have no problem using hdmi between my laptop and tv. I do it all the tim.

The thread title doesn’t specific mobile ...more

Thread title doesn't, but post does.

|

2/22/2021 11:13 AM

Lol at anyone paying to watch moto

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

2/22/2021 11:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/22/2021 11:47 AM

gt80rider wrote:

Lol at anyone paying to watch moto

People paying to watch moto is the only reason there is moto at all to watch this year.

|

2/22/2021 11:56 AM

Use a chrome cast and cast from phone app. I haven’t found an app it doesn’t work with

|

2/22/2021 11:58 AM

Why are you needing an HDMI cable if you are casting to a projector? I'm lost on this one

I simply pull up the race on my Roku TV, but I did have an issue one weekend with the Roku where it wasn't finding my wifi for some reason.
The workaround was to simply pull up the race on my office computer then simply cast that to the living room TV

|

2/22/2021 12:09 PM

OP are you saying you can't chromecast it or that the Peacock app itself won't project? I thought with Chromecast you could project anything.

Other option/ best way is with Roku. Man I love that thing.

|

2/22/2021 12:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/22/2021 12:14 PM

I hdmi out from my laptop to my tv no problem with peacock,com.

So to be clear, You are able to screen mirror your phone screen on the projector no problem with a microusb or USB-C to hdmi 2.0 cable running from your phone to projector correct? but the second you open the peacock app the projector drops signal?

|

2/22/2021 12:16 PM

Appreciate the feedback. I’m using an iPhone lightning to HMDI cable connected to our $350 non-smart projector. I can see whatever is on the screen of my phone until I click to start the replay, then it just shows a loading circle, and eventually I get an error message. It sounds like I’ll need to purchase Google Chromecast and connect it to my projector and I should be good to go. I’ll do that and report back!

|

Do It In The Dirt!

2/22/2021 12:23 PM

Zeke27G wrote:

Appreciate the feedback. I’m using an iPhone lightning to HMDI cable connected to our $350 non-smart projector. I can see ...more

Interesting, Do you see the loading circle on your projector or just on the phone screen? Handshake issues are fairly common and I doubt the app is doing it on purpose. The new chromecasts are nice to have anyway you will get your $50 worth for sure. The have a built in UI and remote and such now.

|

2/22/2021 12:28 PM

We were watching SX out in the desert using MiFi, a laptop, and a HDMI cable to a projector. I use google chromecast with the app on my phone at home without problems. Haven't tried the projector with my phone and chromecast.

However, using our chromebook with the app and chromecast didn't work. I ended up deleting the app and logging into peacock through google chrome (web browser) and that worked without a problem. I'd say try that on your phone.

|

2/22/2021 12:31 PM

otg042 wrote:

We were watching SX out in the desert using MiFi, a laptop, and a HDMI cable to a projector. I use google chromecast with the ...more

Peacock requests you install the app if you open programming in a mobile browser.

|

2/22/2021 1:04 PM

Zeke27G wrote:

Appreciate the feedback. I’m using an iPhone lightning to HMDI cable connected to our $350 non-smart projector. I can see ...more

BobbyLight wrote:

Interesting, Do you see the loading circle on your projector or just on the phone screen? Handshake issues are fairly common ...more

So, we see the loading circle on the projector screen for 30 seconds or so, then the screen goes black, but during that time we're seeing the stream play on my phone and the sound is being projected through the projector, to a speaker, via a 3.5mm cable. Our projector doesn't have Bluetooth capability, which is fine, because the 3.5mm cable is easier to deal with.

I just picked up one of these Google Chromecast deals for $29.99, I'm gonna try connecting it at home to our projector so that we're not stuck watching "The Dirt Bike Kid" again in the desert next month!

|

Do It In The Dirt!

2/22/2021 1:11 PM

The tech talk on here always blows my mind. I’d be screwed. I honestly have no clue as to most of what you guys are talking about. 😂

|

2/22/2021 2:52 PM

I have no problems with mine, run the app on phone and plug phone to TV in my fish house , was reading it would not work, but only trouble I have been having is loosing service out in middle of Lake.

|

kcco

2/24/2021 1:21 PM

Zeke27G wrote:

Good luck, hope it works. When MX camping, we stream by using phone as hotspot to a Roku box with HDMI out to convert to AV cords (OLD SCHOOL lol), and into the projector. We do this so we run the sound cord to a large speaker. I have other converters to go to HDMI to the projector, but it doesn't have a speaker. To get a good speaker, we just go old school out from the Roku box by converting the HDMI to AV cables. Works like a champ. Just thought I would share how we do it in case it helps in some way.

|

2/24/2021 1:41 PM

Zeke27G wrote:

TbonesPop wrote:

Good luck, hope it works. When MX camping, we stream by using phone as hotspot to a Roku box with HDMI out to convert to AV ...more

That's an issue I've noticed too. When I'm bluetoothed to our JBL Party Box 100, the volume cranks, but when connected with a 3.5mm cord, the volume is maybe 60% or so? I'm gonna do a mock set up soon so I can test it all as I don't wanna be stuck in the boonies with no Supercross again! Love Supercross so much, I was considering driving home to watch it!

|

Do It In The Dirt!

2/24/2021 11:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/24/2021 11:15 PM

otg042 wrote:

We were watching SX out in the desert using MiFi, a laptop, and a HDMI cable to a projector. I use google chromecast with the ...more

Dirty Points wrote:

Peacock requests you install the app if you open programming in a mobile browser.

Open it as a desktop site, and you can watch from the browser on your phone if you don't want to use the app

|

2/25/2021 1:28 AM

Its the HDCP thats causing the hang ups for some. You need a cable that allows for HDCP video to be transmitted. With out it, you get a black screen and maybe audio. I screen mirror my Samsung S10 onto a TV to watch the races. Zero issues

|

Gone:
2006 CRF230F
2008 KTM 200 XC
2017 KTM 250 SX
2019 CRF250R
Current: 2021 YZ250F

2/25/2021 7:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/25/2021 7:24 AM

Leeham wrote:

Its the HDCP thats causing the hang ups for some. You need a cable that allows for HDCP video to be transmitted. With out it, ...more

Note to further complicate things if this is the issue: some or all of the HDMI inputs on his projector/TV may not be HDCP compliant, depending on the model/age, regardless of the cable.

|

2/25/2021 7:18 AM

I tried every combo I could think of. The only way I could make it work like you are trying was to use my phone as a hotspot and connect to Peacock with my laptop, then HDMI to the monitor/projector.

|