Pirelli scorpion mx32 midsoft vs Dunlop Geomax mx-3s vs Dunlop Geomax mx-33

fiambre
11/21/2018 5:28am
Who has tried these 3 models of tires and can give your opinion?
Poll

the best tire and the most grip

Choices
|
WEAL
11/21/2018 6:06am
fiambre wrote:
Ran all three on my SXF 450. Geomax has nowhere as much grip as the Pirelli but the Pirelli rear tire wears a bit faster. Usually on our hard packed track I need a new Pirelli after 3 hours on the rear. Good thing is that even if most of the knobblies are torn off, it still grips okay on dry hardpack. The Dunlops don´t grip at all when worn . Dunlops front breaks the outer knobblies in the ruts so I need a new tire every 5 hours despite still good shape in the middle. Overall I gave up on all the other tires for our hardpack surface and run Pirelli midsoft front and rear - to me they give the most safety and the best feeling.
fiambre
11/21/2018 6:27am Edited Date/Time 11/21/2018 6:49am
fiambre wrote:
WEAL wrote:
Ran all three on my SXF 450. Geomax has nowhere as much grip as the Pirelli but the Pirelli rear tire wears a bit faster. Usually...
Ran all three on my SXF 450. Geomax has nowhere as much grip as the Pirelli but the Pirelli rear tire wears a bit faster. Usually on our hard packed track I need a new Pirelli after 3 hours on the rear. Good thing is that even if most of the knobblies are torn off, it still grips okay on dry hardpack. The Dunlops don´t grip at all when worn . Dunlops front breaks the outer knobblies in the ruts so I need a new tire every 5 hours despite still good shape in the middle. Overall I gave up on all the other tires for our hardpack surface and run Pirelli midsoft front and rear - to me they give the most safety and the best feeling.
Thank you very much for your answer . One last question did you try pirelli scorpion mx32 midhard in that compact and hard terrain?
swtwtwtw
11/21/2018 6:35am
I rate the Dunlops as “A’s” versus the Pirellis mid soft front and mid hard rear which I rate as “A-“ for the tracks I ride (Decomposed granite and sand mix)
TSCHAM101
11/21/2018 8:51am
i cant stand the mx33 front... But i do like the MX33 rear.. i usually run the pirelli mx32 pro rear and the mx32 mid soft fronts

The Shop

11/21/2018 9:41am
fiambre wrote:
WEAL wrote:
Ran all three on my SXF 450. Geomax has nowhere as much grip as the Pirelli but the Pirelli rear tire wears a bit faster. Usually...
Never tried 3s or 33 (rode 52s, but didn't like the front), but I can vouche for what WEAL says about the MX32s. They are soo predictable in all conditions, even when they are heavily worn. If it's really hard packed they work great too but chunk fast on the rear even on the 250f. I switch to MX32 MidHard on the rear for those really dry conditions but stay with the Softs in the front.
WEAL
11/21/2018 9:50am
fiambre wrote:
WEAL wrote:
fiambre wrote:
Thank you very much for your answer . One last question did you try pirelli scorpion mx32 midhard in that compact and hard terrain?
Yes - I tried the midhard compound a couple times but lost the knobblies just as fast and had a little less grip. So I stay with the midsoft as it works very well. I want to try a 120 on the rear, I doubt it holds up a little longer but maybe a little more grip?
Motofinne
11/21/2018 9:58am
Pirelli MX32 = better performance

Dunlop MX3s/MX33 = lasts longer
TeamGreen
11/21/2018 10:08am
I'm a Pirelli believer...ESPECIALLY in Baja.
11/21/2018 10:29am
Bridgestone Battlecross X30 - About the same grip as Dunlop MX33, and lasts much longer.
fiambre
11/21/2018 11:19am
as I read it seems that the favorite is pirelli the only problem is that it is spent before the Dunlop. Right now I have Dunlop Geomax 3s in front and behind are the ones that bring the ktm 350 sxf oem and the truth that they have good grip. I'll try pirelli and see the result
Turbojez
11/22/2018 3:33am Edited Date/Time 11/22/2018 5:30am
Sorry if I stir it up a little, but Michelin Starcross 5 are definitely another tires worth looking into.
I had nothing but great experience with Michelins, they grip similar to MX3S, last way longer, and are significantly lighter.
ron36
11/22/2018 5:14am
For sure the pirelli, but i use the dunlop mx3s. Because the pirelli i gone in 3 hours riding on hardpack.
Lynch
11/22/2018 5:29am
ron36 wrote:
For sure the pirelli, but i use the dunlop mx3s. Because the pirelli i gone in 3 hours riding on hardpack.
I agree with the fact that Pirellis are gone in a matter of no time, usually 2 motos and a practise day and it's time to change tire but during that time the grip is 10/10.
mx317
11/22/2018 10:01am
Bridgestone Battlecross X30 - About the same grip as Dunlop MX33, and lasts much longer.
X30 weighs 13lbs6ozs vs MX33 12lbs2oz. Pirelli MX32 weights 11lbs5ozs. It's hard to ignore the 2lb weight difference between the MX32 and X30 especially it being unsprung weight.
chump6784
11/22/2018 12:09pm
I have run the pirelli's for ages. The mx32 mid hard is my favorite rear tire i have run. Even in mud that thing grips and gives great life. I would say durability is on par with the x30 but better grip.
I don't like pirelli front tires though, always seem to crack the knobs on the side of the tire. X30 has been my favorite front tire to date.
Dunlops hook up well but don't last for me
OldPro277
11/22/2018 3:27pm
Pirelli only for me. Tried most of them, to me there is no greater feeling than sitting at the gate with a fresh Scorpion mid-soft under your ass. Tongue But honestly ,they are lighter than any tire,grip better during acceleration and braking and give great confidence in cornering. Being that most of my riding is done in western PA loamy conditions,I don't experience the quick wearing aspects that some of you have, so to me its a no brainer. They also run a special once or twice a year that when you buy a rear you get a front for free. My local dealer hooks me up at cost and I can get a set (F&R) for under $100. I usually try to buy a dozen to take advantage of that,but sometimes the timing is off and the cookie jar is too low. But even at full price I'd take the Pirelli's.
JB500
11/22/2018 6:33pm
OldPro277 wrote:
Pirelli only for me. Tried most of them, to me there is no greater feeling than sitting at the gate with a fresh Scorpion mid-soft under...
Pirelli only for me. Tried most of them, to me there is no greater feeling than sitting at the gate with a fresh Scorpion mid-soft under your ass. Tongue But honestly ,they are lighter than any tire,grip better during acceleration and braking and give great confidence in cornering. Being that most of my riding is done in western PA loamy conditions,I don't experience the quick wearing aspects that some of you have, so to me its a no brainer. They also run a special once or twice a year that when you buy a rear you get a front for free. My local dealer hooks me up at cost and I can get a set (F&R) for under $100. I usually try to buy a dozen to take advantage of that,but sometimes the timing is off and the cookie jar is too low. But even at full price I'd take the Pirelli's.
This is a good thread. Like the OP, I’m ready for new tires again and wouldn’t mind trying something new. I ride all over the Midwest, mostly loamy stuff and have mostly run Dunlop. Sounds like Pirelli is a great alternative.
JB 19
11/22/2018 6:51pm
Pirelli. ......and the Pirelli Matt shed it's edge, but retains most of its grip. The Dunlop is junk once the edge is gone. Seems like the Pirelli gets its grip from its compound and the Dunlop gets it from the edge on the tire.

And the Pirelli mounts with half the effort.
slipdog
11/22/2018 7:44pm
FWIW, I replaced the stock MX3s that were starting to crack at the side knobs with a new MX33 and without a doubt the worn out 3s was better. Most noticeably was the lack of traction leaning into corners, they break loose like the track was just watered.

Needless to say, there will be no Dunlops in my future.
erik_94COBRA
11/23/2018 9:08am
Turbojez wrote:
Sorry if I stir it up a little, but Michelin Starcross 5 are definitely another tires worth looking into. I had nothing but great experience with...
Sorry if I stir it up a little, but Michelin Starcross 5 are definitely another tires worth looking into.
I had nothing but great experience with Michelins, they grip similar to MX3S, last way longer, and are significantly lighter.
Same experience here. The Michelin hooks up at about 90% of the MX3S, but has lasted significantly longer even when riding the soft tire on hardpack.

Do check the widths though as they run a little bit narrower.
ob
11/23/2018 5:41pm
slipdog wrote:
FWIW, I replaced the stock MX3s that were starting to crack at the side knobs with a new MX33 and without a doubt the worn out...
FWIW, I replaced the stock MX3s that were starting to crack at the side knobs with a new MX33 and without a doubt the worn out 3s was better. Most noticeably was the lack of traction leaning into corners, they break loose like the track was just watered.

Needless to say, there will be no Dunlops in my future.
The new 33 is a step backward for sure.
Radical
Fantasy
2321st
11/24/2018 2:51am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2020 12:45am
Edited to clarify:

My favorite tires are a Bridgestone M203 in the front, and a Pirelli MX32 Pro (Mid-Hard) in the rear.
My bike can lean with confidence. The rear wheel tracks straight over any terrain, never breaks loose unexpectedly.
The front M203 tire has knobs far down on the sides for great traction when leaning.
My brand new MX32 Mid-Hard in the front seems to turn better than my 7 year old M203, but I don't have the same confidence when accelerating out of a corner, or through a rough straightaway.
In the end I didn't like the MX32 Mid-hard in the front. I feel the Dunlop MX33 is better, but still not as good as my M203. Unfortunately, the M203 front is only available for small bikes now.

I mostly ride at Fox (Pala) these days.
chump6784
11/24/2018 8:50am
Radical wrote:
Edited to clarify: My favorite tires are a Bridgestone M203 in the front, and a Pirelli MX32 Pro (Mid-Hard) in the rear. My bike can lean...
Edited to clarify:

My favorite tires are a Bridgestone M203 in the front, and a Pirelli MX32 Pro (Mid-Hard) in the rear.
My bike can lean with confidence. The rear wheel tracks straight over any terrain, never breaks loose unexpectedly.
The front M203 tire has knobs far down on the sides for great traction when leaning.
My brand new MX32 Mid-Hard in the front seems to turn better than my 7 year old M203, but I don't have the same confidence when accelerating out of a corner, or through a rough straightaway.
In the end I didn't like the MX32 Mid-hard in the front. I feel the Dunlop MX33 is better, but still not as good as my M203. Unfortunately, the M203 front is only available for small bikes now.

I mostly ride at Fox (Pala) these days.
Is that mid-hard front or rear? I haven't tried mid-hard front, last 2 pirelli fronts I tried cracked the side knobs off in a couple of hours. First was the mid-soft which i expected cos i was riding fairly hard packed tracks, next one was the mx extra x which i was surprised when it cracked

Post a reply to: Pirelli scorpion mx32 midsoft vs Dunlop Geomax mx-3s vs Dunlop Geomax mx-33

The Latest