Pirelli Dominates AMA Pro Motocross at Ironman National

FMB2
9/2/2017 9:34am Edited Date/Time 9/3/2017 3:11pm
As the official tire of the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross series, Pirelli supported Dutch rider Jeffery Herlings with SCORPION™ MX32™ tires for his Factory KTM.

Pirelli tires and and Dutch rider Jeffrey Herlings of the Red Bull KTM Factory Racing team made a dramatic statement at the final round of the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Series in Indiana.

Pirelli is a sponsor of the AMA MX Sports outdoor series though every American rider runs Dunlops.

Thought it interesting Pirelli wins and nothing has been said ?

Pirelli should do well at the US MXGP also ?

http://www.vitalmx.com/news/press-release/Pirelli-Dominates-Pro-Motocro…

|
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
9/2/2017 9:36am
They make real good tires, I honestly don't understand the Dunlop love. I hate Dunlop tires, bike and car.
mx317
9/2/2017 9:48am
I tried the Pirelli front MX32 and loved it. It wore out and I had a new Dunlop 3S front won at our banquet that I put on. I liked the Pirelli better. Dunlop is developing a new MX33 that may be more durable and still have good hookup.
Johnny Depp
9/2/2017 11:45am Edited Date/Time 9/2/2017 11:46am
Credit where credit is due. Nice 1st post. Now STFU noob
nytsmaC
9/2/2017 12:08pm
Are they GP guys running the regular MX32 or the MX32 FIM Pro? Anyone tried both that can objectively compare the two? I love the MX32 just wish they didn't get shredded so quickly on hardpack.

The Shop

TeamGreen
9/2/2017 12:11pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2017 12:22pm
For me, the Pro is more of an "Everywhere" tire and the MX32 is a soft to mid-soft tire. HOWEVER, I've run it at Milestone when it's dry and crusty...& it works pretty damn good under those circumstances, too.
twotwosix
9/2/2017 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2017 12:22pm
colintrax wrote:
They make real good tires, I honestly don't understand the Dunlop love. I hate Dunlop tires, bike and car.
You must not ride competitive motocross to make a comment like that. Their MX3S is the current #1 best MX tire and has been for a couple years.
nytsmaC
9/2/2017 12:24pm
TeamGreen wrote:
For me, the Pro is more of an "Everywhere" tire and the MX32 is a soft to mid-soft tire. HOWEVER, I've run it at Milestone when...
For me, the Pro is more of an "Everywhere" tire and the MX32 is a soft to mid-soft tire. HOWEVER, I've run it at Milestone when it's dry and crusty...& it works pretty damn good under those circumstances, too.
Thanks, will give them a try next time. Do they to hold up any better or worse than the 32? the problem I've had with the 32 is side knobs tearing off prematurely.
VxeR
9/2/2017 12:29pm
colintrax wrote:
twotwosix wrote:
You must not ride competitive motocross to make a comment like that. Their MX3S is the current #1 best MX tire and has been for a...
You must not ride competitive motocross to make a comment like that. Their MX3S is the current #1 best MX tire and has been for a couple years.
Tell that to Herlings
9/2/2017 12:33pm
Are you some kind of brand ambassador or something? Why is it so important?
JB 19
9/2/2017 1:10pm
I think the Dunlop MX3S is by far Dunlops best tire and I think the Pirelli MX32 is even better. Plus the Pirelli doesn't have the tendency to shed its side knobs like the Dunlop. .....and as a bonus the Pirelli mounts slightly easier.
9/2/2017 3:10pm
I love my Dunlops. MX3S on the front and MX11 on the rear. They will last a whole season in the Dutch sand Cool
9/2/2017 3:14pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2017 3:16pm
colintrax wrote:
twotwosix wrote:
You must not ride competitive motocross to make a comment like that. Their MX3S is the current #1 best MX tire and has been for a...
VxeR wrote:
Tell that to Herlings
Yeah and then go tell Villopoto, Dungey and Roczen how much better a Pirelli would have made them lol

I'm sure they both make great tires.
9/2/2017 3:18pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2017 3:19pm
A tire didn't dominate the Ironman national; Jeffrey Herlings did.
9/2/2017 4:08pm
Jeffrey would like to thank all his sponsors, since they all deserve credit for the win last week. He couldn't have done it without them. I'm...
Jeffrey would like to thank all his sponsors, since they all deserve credit for the win last week. He couldn't have done it without them.

I'm still trying to find out whose sprocket bolts he is running?

http://www.jeffreyherlings.eu/en/sponsors/

Herlings would have killed most all the field on a worn out dual sport tire.
Johnny Depp
9/2/2017 4:43pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2017 4:46pm
If you read the article, you will see that on the rear he ran the mud tire 1st moto and the mid-soft 2nd moto.

I'm just curious how many Dunlop rider's used 2 different ones? This is MotoGP type of stuff.

9/2/2017 4:52pm
If you read the article, you will see that on the rear he ran the mud tire 1st moto and the mid-soft 2nd moto. I'm just...
If you read the article, you will see that on the rear he ran the mud tire 1st moto and the mid-soft 2nd moto.

I'm just curious how many Dunlop rider's used 2 different ones? This is MotoGP type of stuff.

And he killed everyone with either choice.
Coyote
9/2/2017 5:50pm
Herlings could win on a slick...imho...factory riders can ride whatever they want and all ride Dunlop...says enough for me!!
ML512
Fantasy
36th
9/2/2017 5:59pm
If you read the article, you will see that on the rear he ran the mud tire 1st moto and the mid-soft 2nd moto. I'm just...

MotoGP type stuff...plenty of riders swap tires between practice and race sessions...it's not a "rare" sighting...
9/2/2017 6:07pm
Coyote wrote:
Herlings could win on a slick...imho...factory riders can ride whatever they want and all ride Dunlop...says enough for me!!
Factory riders can ride whatever they want?
BobPA
9/2/2017 6:07pm
colintrax wrote:
twotwosix wrote:
Not even close. The mx3s is pathetic. The only reason the pros use them is because they are free.
twotwosix
9/2/2017 6:43pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2017 6:44pm
VxeR wrote:
Tell that to Herlings
Comparing works tire brands is pointless.

Also, Herlings has been my favorite rider since I met him and watched him ride in person at Charlotte.
twotwosix
9/2/2017 6:46pm
colintrax wrote:
twotwosix wrote:
BobPA wrote:
Not even close. The mx3s is pathetic. The only reason the pros use them is because they are free.
Not being mean or arguementative here, but that is an ignorant post man. I'm not sure if you ride motocross at a decent level on a modern four stroke currently, but that simply isn't true.
BobPA
9/2/2017 6:55pm
twotwosix wrote:
BobPA wrote:
twotwosix wrote:
Not being mean or arguementative here, but that is an ignorant post man. I'm not sure if you ride motocross at a decent level on a...
Not being mean or arguementative here, but that is an ignorant post man. I'm not sure if you ride motocross at a decent level on a modern four stroke currently, but that simply isn't true.
My 2017 KTM 450 came with them, I had them on my previous 350. They are good when they are new, but what descent tires aren't? They wear quickly, and the front outer knobs chunk off in record time. I have two other friends with new KTM's and they hate their Dunlops more than me. 15 hours on my front and all the knobs were ripped off. For a premium tire with a premium price, there are much better options out there. No one that I ride with will buy Dunlops....The dudes who pay for their tires run Michelins, Pirellis, Kendas, or Shinkos (woods guys).

Try the Starcross 5, and you will see how a good tire performs and wears.
twotwosix
9/2/2017 6:57pm

Almost every pro has ran the Dunlop 'paddle' during practice and switched to the '3S/MidSoft' works tire for a moto this summer. Very commonplace. I sat through a demo from Glover in the Dunlop rig during an SX round earlier this year and he explained how they go through the processes of their tire program. It's very neat. The teams have a lot of options at their disposal preseason to test, if they choose. Clark Stiles and the crew down there are always pushing the envelope for american motocross.

Also, I can't wait for Michelin or Bridgestone to put forth another race effort...
twotwosix
9/2/2017 7:02pm
BobPA wrote:
My 2017 KTM 450 came with them, I had them on my previous 350. They are good when they are new, but what descent tires aren't...
My 2017 KTM 450 came with them, I had them on my previous 350. They are good when they are new, but what descent tires aren't? They wear quickly, and the front outer knobs chunk off in record time. I have two other friends with new KTM's and they hate their Dunlops more than me. 15 hours on my front and all the knobs were ripped off. For a premium tire with a premium price, there are much better options out there. No one that I ride with will buy Dunlops....The dudes who pay for their tires run Michelins, Pirellis, Kendas, or Shinkos (woods guys).

I see your point of view. But if we are talking performance, the 3S is #1. Especially as a front tire. I have ridden on Starcross 5 mids. They were very good, but the 3S front still wins for me. Get too far into mud or blue groove and there may be better choices, but if I'm lining up for an import race on average dirt, I'm wanting a 3S front.

Two other points, you are dead on that they wear out too fast. They also chunk if you start dropping psi. It sucks, but it comes with the territory.

Also, your 2017 KTM 450 is the best handling, best balanced bike on the track. You could run cycle gear tires on that thing and probably still be okay.
BobPA
9/2/2017 7:11pm
BobPA wrote:
My 2017 KTM 450 came with them, I had them on my previous 350. They are good when they are new, but what descent tires aren't...

twotwosix wrote:
I see your point of view. But if we are talking performance, the 3S is #1. Especially as a front tire. I have ridden on Starcross...
I see your point of view. But if we are talking performance, the 3S is #1. Especially as a front tire. I have ridden on Starcross 5 mids. They were very good, but the 3S front still wins for me. Get too far into mud or blue groove and there may be better choices, but if I'm lining up for an import race on average dirt, I'm wanting a 3S front.

Two other points, you are dead on that they wear out too fast. They also chunk if you start dropping psi. It sucks, but it comes with the territory.

Also, your 2017 KTM 450 is the best handling, best balanced bike on the track. You could run cycle gear tires on that thing and probably still be okay.
They hook well when new, no arguments there. I, along with my riding bros, were all very disappointed in how poorly they wore. And it seems their performance really drops off when the square edge goes away.

I was told to run 13.5 PSI by the Dunlop guy ( I mentioned the knob chunking and he said more PSI helped). Had at least 13.5 PSI from new, only got about 15 hours on the tire and it was lacking a bunch of side knobs. I have 20 some hours on the rear and it is on its last leg...but that is really not too bad for a rear.

JM485
9/2/2017 7:24pm
BobPA wrote:

Bottom line is tires will always be a personal preference, but I gotta agree on the Starcross 5s. I don't care what tire is on the back, but the front is important to me, and the stock Dunlop that came on my YZ-250 was the first tire I've ever taken off before it was worn. Put on the Starcross and off I went, been running them ever since. But, like I said, to claim one tire is "better" is kind of a tough claim to make, way to many variable in riding style, bike setup, terrain type, speed, etc to say one is better for everyone.

Now, claiming tires are what made Herlings so dominant, that's a whole other level of rediculous.Laughing
9/3/2017 2:02am
BobPA wrote:
They hook well when new, no arguments there. I, along with my riding bros, were all very disappointed in how poorly they wore. And it seems...
They hook well when new, no arguments there. I, along with my riding bros, were all very disappointed in how poorly they wore. And it seems their performance really drops off when the square edge goes away.

I was told to run 13.5 PSI by the Dunlop guy ( I mentioned the knob chunking and he said more PSI helped). Had at least 13.5 PSI from new, only got about 15 hours on the tire and it was lacking a bunch of side knobs. I have 20 some hours on the rear and it is on its last leg...but that is really not too bad for a rear.

They're not made for hard surfaces. I've got 20 hours on my MX3S front and all the knobbies still look sharp as a knife.
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2425th
9/3/2017 2:55am
TeamGreen wrote:
For me, the Pro is more of an "Everywhere" tire and the MX32 is a soft to mid-soft tire. HOWEVER, I've run it at Milestone when...
nytsmaC wrote:
Thanks, will give them a try next time. Do they to hold up any better or worse than the 32? the problem I've had with the...
Thanks, will give them a try next time. Do they to hold up any better or worse than the 32? the problem I've had with the 32 is side knobs tearing off prematurely.
I have ran the MX32 for awhile now, great tire on Soft loam and hold together well,.

Also a great tyre with plenty of grip on hard surfaces, but have the same problem, side knobs tear at the base of the nob.

I noticed my current tire this morning had suffered the same fate after my last two rides being on hard surfaces.

Post a reply to: Pirelli Dominates AMA Pro Motocross at Ironman National

The Latest