Pinkbike.com and Responsible Riding

Related:
Create New Tag

4/24/2020 11:09 AM

Just saw this on the Pinkbike homepage and I applaud them for taking a proper stance. I believe every MX site should have a similar notice. Go ahead, hate me if you want, but it's the right thing to do.

Photo

"NOTICE: Mountain biking irresponsibly during the COVID-19 pandemic puts you and others at risk. Riding injuries put unnecessary stress on medical systems that need all available resources to fight the virus, and group rides increase your chances of exposure. Please follow all local health authority directives, and DO NOT take risks.

Do not travel to other communities, especially smaller ones, as the health resources in those communities are already challenged."

|

Twitter: @bayodome
Instagram: @bayodome

4/24/2020 11:10 AM

In here before this thread gets wild, because we all know
It will. Just wait till everyone gets off work. It’s Friday grin w00t tongue

|

4/24/2020 11:30 AM

In on page 1.

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

4/24/2020 11:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/24/2020 11:45 AM

I have been mountain biking regularly and have no plans to stop. Our hospitals are empty here and letting staff go.

|

4/24/2020 12:12 PM

What stress? Most hospitals need patients right now. Maybe they will stop laying off their nurses then. This shit is getting ridiculous

|

4/24/2020 12:25 PM

Thank you to pinkbike.com, I had no idea otherwise.

|

Mantis Toboggan, M.D

4/24/2020 12:35 PM

Hmm, lets see here. The medical system is not stressed anywhere but a couple giant cities. Also, the chance of infection outdoors is super slim.

Nice virtue signal though!

|

4/24/2020 1:07 PM

C’mon pink bike quit watching the news and perpetuating the fear mongering.

We are many weeks in and they keep playing the same video footage from the very beginning over and over and over

I am in SoCal and work with half dozen guys who have wives as nurses all at different facilities (hospitals) that have had their hours cut or have been furloughed. FACT!

|

4/24/2020 1:22 PM

Don't go to a little town like Crystal Falls Michigan because their clinic is shut down because it's so slow.

|

4/24/2020 1:30 PM

alphado wrote:

I have been mountain biking regularly and have no plans to stop. Our hospitals are empty here and letting staff go.

Same here hospitals are empty. Our Governor just opened them up to start doing normal surgery....finally

|

4/24/2020 1:59 PM

I'm In NY and the message does resonate with me... but, I still frequent the local trails with my 6-year-old son as part of "homeschooling". I simply have to get him (and me) out to not go mad. We only meet very few people on weekdays and people keep their distance and put on masks when passing.

I think it's good that PB puts the message out - if it inspires more thoughtful actions then it's a success. And for those of you living in states less affected, I am happy for you and yours.

|

4/24/2020 3:46 PM

I absolutely hate how litigious our country has become. In every god damn direction there’s some kind of legal disclaimer, because there’s someone filing suit.

I’d bet every employee of pink bike is riding still. They’re just legally obligated to notify you how dangerous it is to ride a bike during a pandemic.

I can see the ambulance chaser now. “You got corona virus in the hospital? You were there because you were riding a bicycle? The manufacturer of the bicycle was doing a Covid sale? Let me add their name to the lawsuit.”

By the way, all the hospitals in the Midwest are empty. I’m still going to ride my dirt bike.

|

4/24/2020 4:11 PM

Jeff_Crutcher wrote:

I absolutely hate how litigious our country has become. In every god damn direction there’s some kind of legal disclaimer, because there’s someone filing suit.

I’d bet every employee of pink bike is riding still. They’re just legally obligated to notify you how dangerous it is to ride a bike during a pandemic.

I can see the ambulance chaser now. “You got corona virus in the hospital? You were there because you were riding a bicycle? The manufacturer of the bicycle was doing a Covid sale? Let me add their name to the lawsuit.”

By the way, all the hospitals in the Midwest are empty. I’m still going to ride my dirt bike.

"... and you got the idea to ride your bicycle from a website? We'll add them to the list too."
I'm with you. It's ridiculous how businesses have to be so careful. In many cases, they have to abandon perfectly feasible ideas for fear of litigation.

PS- note that Pinkbike did not say to discontinue riding; only to not ride "irresponsibly." That seems pretty normal to me on a day-to-day basis anyway. I'm still riding mine.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

4/24/2020 5:38 PM

I'm an ER doc at a major level 1 trauma center, saw 2 patients last shift. It's been the same for over a month. I'm literally twiddling my thumbs on shift.

|

4/24/2020 8:04 PM

Yeah, this covid thing was bullshit. It's probably the safest time to be in a hospital right now because they are completely empty.

|

4/24/2020 8:23 PM

What flavor KoolAid was it? This hoax has busted. Maybe turn off your ScaryVision..

I literally trade stocks with a MD that has CANCER. He caught it during a treatment and said it was no worse than the flu.

|

4/24/2020 8:51 PM

VetMX.com wrote:

What flavor KoolAid was it? This hoax has busted. Maybe turn off your ScaryVision..

I literally trade stocks with a MD that has CANCER. He caught it during a treatment and said it was no worse than the flu.

Cancer is no worse than the flu?

Given a choice, I’d take the flu!

|

4/25/2020 12:12 AM

Jeff_Crutcher wrote:

Ironically, Pinkbike is a Canadian site, and I've seen numerous comments from Canadians in the Pinkbike comment sections over the years bashing the US for our sue happy culture. Guess they aren't as different as they think.

|

4/25/2020 4:11 AM

And yet my daughter who works at a hospital is getting reduced hours due to lack of patients, once again people seem to miss the fact, every region, city etc...is different, what works for one does not work for all.

|

4/25/2020 4:55 AM

I went riding last weekend and one of the guys in our group (social distancing of course) fell and broke his hand. He was able to get right into a hospital, get a cast and released in a couple hours.

|

4/25/2020 6:27 AM

Hmmm - look at the comments on this topic. Behold, the pendulum is already swinging from "if one person dies it's one too many, so stay inside and don't breathe the outside air for the next year" to "I'm tired of listening to all these buzz-killing big-city cowards, let's ride." It was only a matter of time, I suppose, but it's happening a lot faster than I thought it would.

|

4/25/2020 6:41 AM

Not every hospital is strained. My friends wife is an ER nurse and currently furloughed because the hospital she works at is practically empty.

|

4/25/2020 7:31 AM

mtndoc_842 wrote:

I'm an ER doc at a major level 1 trauma center, saw 2 patients last shift. It's been the same for over a month. I'm literally twiddling my thumbs on shift.

Remember when Ping was absolutely vilified a couple of weeks ago for even mentioning the hospitals & ER's in his work area were slow?

|

4/25/2020 7:33 AM

VetMX.com wrote:

What treatment is he undergoing? The flu can be quite dangerous to people doing chemotherapy with suppressed immune systems.

My sister has cancer and, thank the lord, has already finished chemo but still has to do other treatments every few weeks. She is at a cancer institute and said people are not showing up for their treatments because they’re scared of getting covid. She told me this last night and it’s crazy to hear. The cancer will kill you. Covid might, especially if you’ve got a suppressed immune system for chemotherapy, but you’d have to get it first. I don’t understand the logic they’re thinking behind that.

I respect the the disease of this virus but this mass hysteria strangling the world fueled by the institution of a story driven media (both sides of the aisle), I believe is much more dangerous.

|

4/25/2020 11:23 AM

This was the advice going round in the UK from one of the MTB magazines. Makes sense to me.

Photo
Photo

|

4/25/2020 12:33 PM

Locally, my hospitals are nowhere close to being busy.... Last weekend was my first weekend riding again and I will continue as long as my local med system is Not overwhelmed....

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord