Picked up a Freshie Today

BobPA
3/27/2017 4:03pm
So after 5 years on the 350 I decided to step up to a 2017 450 Katoom. I really loved the 350 but figured it was time for a change....and I could always steal my old mans 350 for old times sake. I guess you cannot "speak with your wallet" on here because the two stroke crowd will have a meltdown....

Got some Neken SFS's triple clamps, hand guards, and a skid plate to install and should be out for a test ride this weekend (still have snow here)

|
JWACK
3/27/2017 4:08pm
Screw the ktm! Nice Comanche!

Jk,congrats on a new scoot!
smoothies862
Fantasy
745th
3/27/2017 4:12pm
don't like you..dont like you 2 green times. 1 orange time and a red time also.Grinning
awesome rides. still haven't rode a modern 450. looks sweet.
mxb2
3/27/2017 4:13pm
Niceeeee,. Congrats,. Ride review soon plz.
ledger
3/27/2017 4:55pm
Congrats, please don't get rid of the wasaki's.

The Shop

Monk
3/27/2017 6:12pm
TPS tool would be first on my list for aftermarket parts/tools followed by a better battery... Something about 2.2ah and 130cca that just doesn't give me comfort when trying to start the bike in less then ideal conditions...
Starcrossed
3/27/2017 6:21pm
Are the batteries still junk on these? Figured they would have fixed that by now, with all the good parts KTM uses. A battery tender is a must have with these bikes.

Congrats Bob...hope you enjoy it!
kaptkaos
3/27/2017 6:24pm
That is a nice bike. Congrats.

If I ever bought a KTM, I would do it up like the TLD with blue seats. They look like 80's Factory Hondas on TV, nothing looks better than the 80's Factory Hondas, and Troy Lee knows it! Thats why he makes his bikes look like them!
BobPA
3/27/2017 6:24pm
JWACK wrote:

Thanks man, I just got her on the road...lots of time in that baby

@Smoothies Thanks for the kind words, Once you ride one you will have to have one, they are just so easy...

@mxb2 Im going to blow the snow off of my trail loop this week and hopefully get it broke in. I am really excited to get this new KTM chassis set up

@ledger I love the old Kawi's, grew up racing them and really love the chassis. Both of them are all freshened up and ready for the year and will be in my stable for a long time.

BobPA
3/27/2017 6:29pm
Monk wrote:
TPS tool would be first on my list for aftermarket parts/tools followed by a better battery... Something about 2.2ah and 130cca that just doesn't give me...
TPS tool would be first on my list for aftermarket parts/tools followed by a better battery... Something about 2.2ah and 130cca that just doesn't give me comfort when trying to start the bike in less then ideal conditions...
I have a Ballistic 8 cell that worked excellent in my 350. I have just been staring at the bike and have not tried the fitment. The stock battery spun it over fine today, about 55 degrees. The the TPS tool something straght from KTM?

@Starcrossed This one seemed OK, But I only started it twice in my driveway.Thanks, I am beyond pumped

@kaptkaos They have the blue Selle Dalla Valle that is really tempting...
Monk
3/27/2017 6:41pm
Monk wrote:
TPS tool would be first on my list for aftermarket parts/tools followed by a better battery... Something about 2.2ah and 130cca that just doesn't give me...
BobPA wrote:
I have a Ballistic 8 cell that worked excellent in my 350. I have just been staring at the bike and have not tried the fitment...
I have a Ballistic 8 cell that worked excellent in my 350. I have just been staring at the bike and have not tried the fitment. The stock battery spun it over fine today, about 55 degrees. The the TPS tool something straght from KTM?

@Starcrossed This one seemed OK, But I only started it twice in my driveway.Thanks, I am beyond pumped

@kaptkaos They have the blue Selle Dalla Valle that is really tempting...
No, tpstool.com was built by a guy over a ThumperTalk. It's a very inexpensive and valuable tool. It's just pigtail that clips in and with a Multi-Meter allows you to adjust the TPS voltage. From the factory the KTMs can be a little inconsistent...Improved starting, faster starting and flame-out prevention are just a few things that can be addressed.

Just Google TPS adjust on the KTM and you'll see a ton of things come up. ThumperTalk has a 600pg long thread regarding pretty much every result of every bike...

As for the stock battery, my main concern is the small capacity. At 2.2ah just isn't alot and the XCF battery (though larger @ 4.0ah) isnt much better. In a situation where you might have to crank the bike a few times the stock battery doesnt allow much on the table. The Ballistic units are good and with my Yamaha FX I used the Anti-Gravity XPS series which is no bigger then a sandwich, has 6.0ah and 180cca. On my XCF I use a Anti-Gravity unit which 9.0ah and 220cca and a larger stator simply because I run big lights on the bike. For me, it's just added insurance when it comes to being off in the bush, maybe not a concern on the track but you might feel different. At least the information is there for you now...
adamdf
3/27/2017 7:41pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2017 7:43pm
To the OP:

1. You bought an amazing bike!!
2. Yes I own one too and love mine.
3. Dont worry about the battery. Remember its a light weight high performance battery. Follow the correct technique, there are videos on youtube on how to start these 16/17 KTMs the right way. I had trouble the first time i rode mine because I held the start buton and killed it. What you need to do is hold down the Start button for 5 seconds and then release for 15-130 seconds (this lets the battery warm up), try again, and if it does not fire up then use the Yellow knob, and try it again - works every time, and by the way the yellow knob is only required when the engine is cold.
4. Enjoy it!

Not sure your weight but i'm 160lbs without gear, i've tested the forks at 157PSI(factory recommended), 154PSI, and 150PSI, I liked 150 the best. For guys my weight the stock settings are definitely on the stiff side.

Power wise - I like Map 1 for consistency, although I will be trying 1 tooth more on the rear so that I can pull 3rd a bit better in the corners, I think that will be the ticket.

Hope some of this helps!
mxb2
3/27/2017 8:16pm
JWACK wrote:

BobPA wrote:
Thanks man, I just got her on the road...lots of time in that baby @Smoothies Thanks for the kind words, Once you ride one you will...

@Smoothies Thanks for the kind words, Once you ride one you will have to have one, they are just so easy...

@mxb2 Im going to blow the snow off of my trail loop this week and hopefully get it broke in. I am really excited to get this new KTM chassis set up

@ledger I love the old Kawi's, grew up racing them and really love the chassis. Both of them are all freshened up and ready for the year and will be in my stable for a long time.

Sick man,. Keep us posted, I have 16.5 fe 450,great bike, added p3 cf skid plate, wc holeshot device, stiffer rear wp spring, Mika bars, 150sx air filter screenless cage. Removed akro insert, good fuel. Great bike. Fast,slim,light.
eeazye
3/27/2017 9:33pm
JWACK wrote:

BobPA wrote:
Thanks man, I just got her on the road...lots of time in that baby @Smoothies Thanks for the kind words, Once you ride one you will...

I had a 91 Comanche Pioneer, long bed 5spd 4WD. I miss that truck almost daily. Yours is a beaut!!
BobPA
3/28/2017 5:36am
adamdf wrote:
To the OP: 1. You bought an amazing bike!! 2. Yes I own one too and love mine. 3. Dont worry about the battery. Remember its...
To the OP:

1. You bought an amazing bike!!
2. Yes I own one too and love mine.
3. Dont worry about the battery. Remember its a light weight high performance battery. Follow the correct technique, there are videos on youtube on how to start these 16/17 KTMs the right way. I had trouble the first time i rode mine because I held the start buton and killed it. What you need to do is hold down the Start button for 5 seconds and then release for 15-130 seconds (this lets the battery warm up), try again, and if it does not fire up then use the Yellow knob, and try it again - works every time, and by the way the yellow knob is only required when the engine is cold.
4. Enjoy it!

Not sure your weight but i'm 160lbs without gear, i've tested the forks at 157PSI(factory recommended), 154PSI, and 150PSI, I liked 150 the best. For guys my weight the stock settings are definitely on the stiff side.

Power wise - I like Map 1 for consistency, although I will be trying 1 tooth more on the rear so that I can pull 3rd a bit better in the corners, I think that will be the ticket.

Hope some of this helps!
Thanks for the setup tips. The only thing that has me a bit nervous is the air forks...but I am sure I'll get them figured out
mxb2
3/28/2017 6:29am
X2, on the stating procedure video,. No need for a different battery, follow that method and it will fire right up, imo. I wdnt mess with the TPS, if you want better throttle response ,remap,slip on and some good fuel. The WP air forks are good. Get the correct rear spring rate for rear, set sag. Balance bike out, Ride it.
3/28/2017 6:33am
Don't sweat the smoker club. Every time you buy you're speaking with your wallet, and it seems like your wallet speaks just fine!

Have fun on the new bike!
mmain62
3/28/2017 6:40am
Awesome I am jealous. Congrats
Flip109
3/28/2017 6:44am
Nice Bikes! You've got the best of every world there. Cool
BobPA
3/28/2017 9:55am
mxb2 wrote:
Sick man,. Keep us posted, I have 16.5 fe 450,great bike, added p3 cf skid plate, wc holeshot device, stiffer rear wp spring, Mika bars, 150sx...
Sick man,. Keep us posted, I have 16.5 fe 450,great bike, added p3 cf skid plate, wc holeshot device, stiffer rear wp spring, Mika bars, 150sx air filter screenless cage. Removed akro insert, good fuel. Great bike. Fast,slim,light.
How much do you weigh? I am about 175 so I think I should be ok with the stock rear spring.

Thanks guys, between the half inch of rain and melting snow here I would be better off with a jet ski this week....
jeffro503
3/28/2017 10:06am
Very , very nice bike Bob! Congrats! Like a few others mentioned.....ride report on what you like / dislike compared to the 350. Would be interesting to hear. Have fun on her.
mxb2
3/28/2017 11:46am
mxb2 wrote:
Sick man,. Keep us posted, I have 16.5 fe 450,great bike, added p3 cf skid plate, wc holeshot device, stiffer rear wp spring, Mika bars, 150sx...
BobPA wrote:
How much do you weigh? I am about 175 so I think I should be ok with the stock rear spring. Thanks guys, between the half...
How much do you weigh? I am about 175 so I think I should be ok with the stock rear spring.

Thanks guys, between the half inch of rain and melting snow here I would be better off with a jet ski this week....
6 2 225,. Stock the 450 is sprung for 190 I believe. You mite be a little light for the stock spring
Worth calling factory connection, they deal WP also now, I went with a stiffer WP rear spring.
BobPA
3/28/2017 7:51pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Very , very nice bike Bob! Congrats! Like a few others mentioned.....ride report on what you like / dislike compared to the 350. Would be interesting...
Very , very nice bike Bob! Congrats! Like a few others mentioned.....ride report on what you like / dislike compared to the 350. Would be interesting to hear. Have fun on her.
Thanks man, I am taking it out this weekend rain or shine for break in...then to a track on April 8th.

@mxb2 the book says it is sprung up to 187lbs and I just weighed myself this morning....181Dry , must have put in that winter weight lol. I'll give factory a call tomorrow, they did nice work on my Kawi's and are always super helpful.
mxb2
3/28/2017 7:56pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Very , very nice bike Bob! Congrats! Like a few others mentioned.....ride report on what you like / dislike compared to the 350. Would be interesting...
BobPA wrote:
Thanks man, I am taking it out this weekend rain or shine for break in...then to a track on April 8th. @mxb2 the book says it...
Thanks man, I am taking it out this weekend rain or shine for break in...then to a track on April 8th.

@mxb2 the book says it is sprung up to 187lbs and I just weighed myself this morning....181Dry , must have put in that winter weight lol. I'll give factory a call tomorrow, they did nice work on my Kawi's and are always super helpful.
You should be pretty good on rear spring rate,,ask fc about their opinion on frt fork air pressure for you. Weight,skill level type of riding,,sag probably 105. Call Rich Rogers at fc. New Hampshire, very helpful good dude. Tell him Billy sent ya,he should be able to give you some more tips. Good luck, keep us posted.
Forty
3/29/2017 10:15am
BobPA wrote:
So after 5 years on the 350 I decided to step up to a 2017 450 Katoom. I really loved the 350 but figured it was...
So after 5 years on the 350 I decided to step up to a 2017 450 Katoom. I really loved the 350 but figured it was time for a change....and I could always steal my old mans 350 for old times sake. I guess you cannot "speak with your wallet" on here because the two stroke crowd will have a meltdown....

Got some Neken SFS's triple clamps, hand guards, and a skid plate to install and should be out for a test ride this weekend (still have snow here)

Nice bike...

I want to jump on the KTM wagon, I've been to the dealer a dozen times, hang out by the bike, want the bike, want to say I bought the bike, and then I walk out. Not sure what the problem is.

Post a reply to: Picked up a Freshie Today

The Latest