Picked up a 2018 TC250

Related:
Create New Tag

1/23/2018 12:29 PM

So I been riding Honda 450 4strokes for the last 10+ years and decided I wanted to go back to my roots of the good ole 2 strokes. I been eyeing up the TC250 and 250SX since they did the redesign in 2017. I found a good deal on a used 2018 TC250 with only 8 hours. Has a PC pipe combo and JD Jet kit on it too. I am pretty excited to get this thing on the track and test it out but have to wait a bit longer up here in PA. I did take it for a very short run down the road in 2nd gear when I got home and have to say I love it so far. Here are a couple pics of it...not the best of pics...just cell phone pics at night when I got it home.

Photo

Photo

Photo

">TC250 Rev from Steve Bichler on Vimeo.

|

1/23/2018 12:31 PM

You mean you spoke with your wallet.

Congrats. 2 strokes are awesome.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

1/23/2018 12:33 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

You mean you spoke with your wallet.

Congrats. 2 strokes are awesome.

I was going to put "Spoke to my wallet" but didnt know if that was lame now. I am a lil old school I guess.

|

1/23/2018 12:38 PM

I clicked the link to watch you pick the bike up. I am disappointed. I have the '18 SX version, super fun bike and you are going to love it.

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

1/23/2018 12:42 PM

If you speak to your wallet you have bigger issues lol.

Why was the guy getting rid of the bike? I mean 8 hours is nothing. His loss, your gain.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

1/23/2018 12:49 PM

Have fun with that. I just traded mine in last weekend - I bought it in November. It's a fun bike to ride and a challenging bike to race. I had FMF pipe and jetting updates on mine as well. I also grew up on 2Ts, did 450s for a while, then raced a 125 in 2017 just for fun. I thought the TC would be "double the fun" of a 125 but I just couldn't gel with that bike. Usually I can tell within two laps if I'm going to get along with a bike or not.
I'm now the happy owner of a 17 YZ250f, and I felt comfortable from the get go. Feel like a bit of a sellout, but for me racing has to be about what I can do the best laps on. I still have two stroke vintage bikes.
Sorry to be a downer, I'm still a bit disappointed this bike didn't work out for me, because I really wanted it to! Hopefully you will have a better fit!

|

1/23/2018 12:55 PM

Congrat's on the new Bike. Hope I can find a low hour / nearly new used one myself in a couple months. If not I'll buy a brand new one. Fell in love with the 125 , so a 250 is like a no brainer for me.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

1/23/2018 12:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/23/2018 12:58 PM

mark_swart wrote:

Have fun with that. I just traded mine in last weekend - I bought it in November. It's a fun bike to ride and a challenging bike to race. I had FMF pipe and jetting updates on mine as well. I also grew up on 2Ts, did 450s for a while, then raced a 125 in 2017 just for fun. I thought the TC would be "double the fun" of a 125 but I just couldn't gel with that bike. Usually I can tell within two laps if I'm going to get along with a bike or not.
I'm now the happy owner of a 17 YZ250f, and I felt comfortable from the get go. Feel like a bit of a sellout, but for me racing has to be about what I can do the best laps on. I still have two stroke vintage bikes.
Sorry to be a downer, I'm still a bit disappointed this bike didn't work out for me, because I really wanted it to! Hopefully you will have a better fit!

Well I have a similar concern. Over the years I adapted to the style of riding for a 450 4 stroke (lazy). Like when I enter turns, and whatnot. I would put my 450 in 3rd a lot and lug it around...use the engine to brake...keep smooth on the throttle to keep speed up etc. I recall years back I had to adapt to that....now I wonder if I will be able to go back to the more "aggressive" style of riding a 2 stroke.

|

1/23/2018 1:13 PM

Bike is Sexy. Measure out a 2x4 to stick in your forks.

|

1/23/2018 1:22 PM

Sweet bike! Have fun!

|

#1
KX125

1/23/2018 1:22 PM

jeffro503 wrote:

Congrat's on the new Bike. Hope I can find a low hour / nearly new used one myself in a couple months. If not I'll buy a brand new one. Fell in love with the 125 , so a 250 is like a no brainer for me.

Jeffro mine will be on the floor up at Ride Motorsports in Woodinville soon, great shape if that's what you are looking for!

|

1/23/2018 1:29 PM

Damn this post and the other one haha.. i wanna leace the 4 stroke world and get a 2 stroke . These look so good. Congrats on the bike

|

1/23/2018 1:34 PM

bics56 wrote:

Well I have a similar concern. Over the years I adapted to the style of riding for a 450 4 stroke (lazy). Like when I enter turns, and whatnot. I would put my 450 in 3rd a lot and lug it around...use the engine to brake...keep smooth on the throttle to keep speed up etc. I recall years back I had to adapt to that....now I wonder if I will be able to go back to the more "aggressive" style of riding a 2 stroke.

The gnarly pipe is supposed to really boost low end. I had the fatty and it helped, but more would have been better. Also you will get a lot of advice on powervalve, but 1.5 is the magic number. Anything else moves the powervalve opening and basically creates a dead spot, followed by a lump in the torque curve. There is a dyno chart explaining this floating around out there.
As a 45 year old Vet. B, rider I also liked the green spring at 1.5. It has a 500 rpm longer opening duration. This bikes biggest problem is breadth of usable power. With stock gearing and pipe, it was even worse.
If you search on here, some guys are experimenting with slides and jetting and seem to be making progress as well. I ended up with a 37.5 pilot, but I did it at the same time as the fatty pipe so it's hard to say what really made the difference. I feel like they dropped the ball, this bike really should have had more torque and more usable power from the factory.

|

1/23/2018 1:41 PM

mark_swart wrote:

The gnarly pipe is supposed to really boost low end. I had the fatty and it helped, but more would have been better. Also you will get a lot of advice on powervalve, but 1.5 is the magic number. Anything else moves the powervalve opening and basically creates a dead spot, followed by a lump in the torque curve. There is a dyno chart explaining this floating around out there.
As a 45 year old Vet. B, rider I also liked the green spring at 1.5. It has a 500 rpm longer opening duration. This bikes biggest problem is breadth of usable power. With stock gearing and pipe, it was even worse.
If you search on here, some guys are experimenting with slides and jetting and seem to be making progress as well. I ended up with a 37.5 pilot, but I did it at the same time as the fatty pipe so it's hard to say what really made the difference. I feel like they dropped the ball, this bike really should have had more torque and more usable power from the factory.

I think we've got the jetting pretty much spot on in the jetting thread going on here now. I agree on the 1.5 on the power valve, but I'm using the stock spring so far. Dropping to a 49T rear really helped a lot with the bike. I think the power and torque part is perfect, I feel the problem is the transmission gearing to really use the power and torque the way it should be used.

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

1/23/2018 1:42 PM

jeffro503 wrote:

Congrat's on the new Bike. Hope I can find a low hour / nearly new used one myself in a couple months. If not I'll buy a brand new one. Fell in love with the 125 , so a 250 is like a no brainer for me.

mark_swart wrote:

Jeffro mine will be on the floor up at Ride Motorsports in Woodinville soon, great shape if that's what you are looking for!

Mark , how many hours did you put on yours? Did you do anything with the reeds or the head? Seems the squish is milled for a very mellow power output. Needed to be around 0.45 thousands from what Slipdog and quite a few others mentioned. Those two things and JD jetting kit seemed to really improve the bike from stock. This is for track riding though....most woods guys don't mess with the head.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

1/23/2018 1:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/23/2018 1:45 PM

Sick! I had posted that bike in the Bazzar a day after I saw it on Craigs. Glad it went to someone here! I have a 17 TC250, you will love that bike.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/For-Sale-Bazaar,26/2018-TC250-8-6-Hours-6500,1331384

|

1/23/2018 2:00 PM

Photo

Congrats on the bike man you're going to love it. I just installed a fmf power core and factory pipe on my 17' but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

|

1/23/2018 3:40 PM

jeffro503 wrote:

Mark , how many hours did you put on yours? Did you do anything with the reeds or the head? Seems the squish is milled for a very mellow power output. Needed to be around 0.45 thousands from what Slipdog and quite a few others mentioned. Those two things and JD jetting kit seemed to really improve the bike from stock. This is for track riding though....most woods guys don't mess with the head.

I put five hours on it at three different tracks: two practices and two races. No changes to reeds or head, went to a 49T rear sprocket, FMF pipe, and ended up with the green spring at 1.5 in, yellow wasn't bad.

But that's what soured me the more I found myself tinkering with it... I drop $6K + on a bike, and now I have to start a science experiment to try and get it to run like a 250 and not a big 125?!? I am fine with tailoring suspension, but things like squish and jetting and compensating for bad gear ratios (feels like a 125 tranny) shouldn't be something the consumer has to fix at that price point, just to make it ride-able.

I also feel like MXAs review of this bike wasn't very critical or thorough - maybe because they were just happy it was a redesigned two stroke in 2017.

Maybe they'll get the power dialed when they switch to EFI.


|

1/23/2018 4:47 PM

mark_swart wrote:

Jeffro mine will be on the floor up at Ride Motorsports in Woodinville soon, great shape if that's what you are looking for!

jeffro503 wrote:

Mark , how many hours did you put on yours? Did you do anything with the reeds or the head? Seems the squish is milled for a very mellow power output. Needed to be around 0.45 thousands from what Slipdog and quite a few others mentioned. Those two things and JD jetting kit seemed to really improve the bike from stock. This is for track riding though....most woods guys don't mess with the head.

mark_swart wrote:

I put five hours on it at three different tracks: two practices and two races. No changes to reeds or head, went to a 49T rear sprocket, FMF pipe, and ended up with the green spring at 1.5 in, yellow wasn't bad.

But that's what soured me the more I found myself tinkering with it... I drop $6K + on a bike, and now I have to start a science experiment to try and get it to run like a 250 and not a big 125?!? I am fine with tailoring suspension, but things like squish and jetting and compensating for bad gear ratios (feels like a 125 tranny) shouldn't be something the consumer has to fix at that price point, just to make it ride-able.

I also feel like MXAs review of this bike wasn't very critical or thorough - maybe because they were just happy it was a redesigned two stroke in 2017.

Maybe they'll get the power dialed when they switch to EFI.


Well Mark....if you get a chance , send me a PM. I won't be in the market for one for a good month or two , as I'm just now getting busy with work. But if she's only got 5 hours on it , I would definitely be interested. I'm going to pick one up either way , and if I buy used , at least it could be from someone I kinda know on here. I was going in on buying one , knowing first hand what I need to do to one , being the reeds , head and jetting , and I'm ok with that. Your's is a 17' correct?

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

1/23/2018 5:04 PM

alexk417 wrote:

Sick! I had posted that bike in the Bazzar a day after I saw it on Craigs. Glad it went to someone here! I have a 17 TC250, you will love that bike.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/For-Sale-Bazaar,26/2018-TC250-8-6-Hours-6500,1331384

Yep that is it. Cool guy very legit to deal with...I ended up getting it for 6k and he was nice enough to meet me and take 2 hours off my 6 hour trip. Very happy so far

|

1/23/2018 5:22 PM

I forgot to add...he included a 49 tooth sprocket he tried out but said it seemed to leave a deadspot. I think I will ride as is with the stock 50 tooth before I decide to give it a try.

|

1/23/2018 5:29 PM

mark_swart wrote:

Have fun with that. I just traded mine in last weekend - I bought it in November. It's a fun bike to ride and a challenging bike to race. I had FMF pipe and jetting updates on mine as well. I also grew up on 2Ts, did 450s for a while, then raced a 125 in 2017 just for fun. I thought the TC would be "double the fun" of a 125 but I just couldn't gel with that bike. Usually I can tell within two laps if I'm going to get along with a bike or not.
I'm now the happy owner of a 17 YZ250f, and I felt comfortable from the get go. Feel like a bit of a sellout, but for me racing has to be about what I can do the best laps on. I still have two stroke vintage bikes.
Sorry to be a downer, I'm still a bit disappointed this bike didn't work out for me, because I really wanted it to! Hopefully you will have a better fit!

bics56 wrote:

Well I have a similar concern. Over the years I adapted to the style of riding for a 450 4 stroke (lazy). Like when I enter turns, and whatnot. I would put my 450 in 3rd a lot and lug it around...use the engine to brake...keep smooth on the throttle to keep speed up etc. I recall years back I had to adapt to that....now I wonder if I will be able to go back to the more "aggressive" style of riding a 2 stroke.

I have an 18 250 sx with about 16.0hrs now. You have to make a full commitment to relearn how to ride a 2t again. You will be working harder to go as fast as you did on your 450, no doubt about it. Go leaner on pilot, richer on main, drop 1 tooth on rear sprocket. When you ride it....don't think rainbows & unicorns...think...seek and destroy ....start working out now, the first few hrs on it will leave you mentally & physically drained...with a big ass smile on your face...

|

1/23/2018 7:57 PM

jeffro503 wrote:

Well Mark....if you get a chance , send me a PM. I won't be in the market for one for a good month or two , as I'm just now getting busy with work. But if she's only got 5 hours on it , I would definitely be interested. I'm going to pick one up either way , and if I buy used , at least it could be from someone I kinda know on here. I was going in on buying one , knowing first hand what I need to do to one , being the reeds , head and jetting , and I'm ok with that. Your's is a 17' correct?

Oh I've already traded it in - Ride Motorsports in Woodinville.

|

1/23/2018 11:32 PM

mark_swart wrote:

Have fun with that. I just traded mine in last weekend - I bought it in November. It's a fun bike to ride and a challenging bike to race. I had FMF pipe and jetting updates on mine as well. I also grew up on 2Ts, did 450s for a while, then raced a 125 in 2017 just for fun. I thought the TC would be "double the fun" of a 125 but I just couldn't gel with that bike. Usually I can tell within two laps if I'm going to get along with a bike or not.
I'm now the happy owner of a 17 YZ250f, and I felt comfortable from the get go. Feel like a bit of a sellout, but for me racing has to be about what I can do the best laps on. I still have two stroke vintage bikes.
Sorry to be a downer, I'm still a bit disappointed this bike didn't work out for me, because I really wanted it to! Hopefully you will have a better fit!

With a post like that .... you need to have a time-out.... go stand in the corner for 20mins!!

Traitor

tongue laughing laughing laughing laughing

|

1/24/2018 6:58 AM

I picked my 18 250sx last friday.. can't wait this snocross season to end because i really wanna go to ride my sx!

|

1/24/2018 7:00 AM

lol, KTM and Husky are going to sell out of their two strokes in about another week just on Vital.

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

1/24/2018 9:13 AM

mark_swart wrote:

I put five hours on it at three different tracks: two practices and two races. No changes to reeds or head, went to a 49T rear sprocket, FMF pipe, and ended up with the green spring at 1.5 in, yellow wasn't bad.

But that's what soured me the more I found myself tinkering with it... I drop $6K + on a bike, and now I have to start a science experiment to try and get it to run like a 250 and not a big 125?!? I am fine with tailoring suspension, but things like squish and jetting and compensating for bad gear ratios (feels like a 125 tranny) shouldn't be something the consumer has to fix at that price point, just to make it ride-able.

I also feel like MXAs review of this bike wasn't very critical or thorough - maybe because they were just happy it was a redesigned two stroke in 2017.

Maybe they'll get the power dialed when they switch to EFI.


jeffro503 wrote:

Well Mark....if you get a chance , send me a PM. I won't be in the market for one for a good month or two , as I'm just now getting busy with work. But if she's only got 5 hours on it , I would definitely be interested. I'm going to pick one up either way , and if I buy used , at least it could be from someone I kinda know on here. I was going in on buying one , knowing first hand what I need to do to one , being the reeds , head and jetting , and I'm ok with that. Your's is a 17' correct?

mark_swart wrote:

Oh I've already traded it in - Ride Motorsports in Woodinville.

Ah damn ok. I didn't know you were getting rid of that quickly. I'm about 2 months out before I can pick one up. It'll most likely be a new one , but if I find a clean used 17' or even an 18' I may go that route. Thanks Mark.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

1/24/2018 9:28 AM

Lightning78 wrote:

With a post like that .... you need to have a time-out.... go stand in the corner for 20mins!!

Traitor

tongue laughing laughing laughing laughing

But I said "with all due respect" lol.

OP I do apologize for the negativity, bikes are like women, some of them we get along with some of them we can't stand, and it all depends on our own preferences. I do hope she's "the right girl for you" and that you have a lot of fun! And if this bike was a girl.... she'd definitely be the one doing shots and dancing on the bar, not the one picking up the kids in the minivan!!

|

1/24/2018 9:34 AM

mark_swart wrote:

Have fun with that. I just traded mine in last weekend - I bought it in November. It's a fun bike to ride and a challenging bike to race. I had FMF pipe and jetting updates on mine as well. I also grew up on 2Ts, did 450s for a while, then raced a 125 in 2017 just for fun. I thought the TC would be "double the fun" of a 125 but I just couldn't gel with that bike. Usually I can tell within two laps if I'm going to get along with a bike or not.
I'm now the happy owner of a 17 YZ250f, and I felt comfortable from the get go. Feel like a bit of a sellout, but for me racing has to be about what I can do the best laps on. I still have two stroke vintage bikes.
Sorry to be a downer, I'm still a bit disappointed this bike didn't work out for me, because I really wanted it to! Hopefully you will have a better fit!

Lightning78 wrote:

With a post like that .... you need to have a time-out.... go stand in the corner for 20mins!!

Traitor

tongue laughing laughing laughing laughing

mark_swart wrote:

But I said "with all due respect" lol.

OP I do apologize for the negativity, bikes are like women, some of them we get along with some of them we can't stand, and it all depends on our own preferences. I do hope she's "the right girl for you" and that you have a lot of fun! And if this bike was a girl.... she'd definitely be the one doing shots and dancing on the bar, not the one picking up the kids in the minivan!!

Maybe so but they're all fun to ride wink

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

1/24/2018 10:40 AM

Nice score brotha ! I have a 17 TC250 and love it. Came off a 14 before that and then a 14 FC450 and I can say that I gel with it better then anything I've owned. Bone stock right now. Leaned the clip position out put the 18 jetting in it. I want a little more snap so I'm gonna take that 14t sprocket off and put a 13 on it. I ride a lot of small or ax style technical stuff. On my list of thing to do, PC factory sound r304r silencer , keihn 36mm pwk with domino throttle housing +cable and v force 4 reedcage. Also when u do a top end check squish and clean up the porting a little. Just easy stuff. The bolt on modifications will make this this mild manered smooth tractable 17 motor run a little more like the previous generation motor which was a real arm stretcher but with added benefit of the counter balancer to numb the vibrations. Best of both worlds. I know quite a few of have gotten the mikuni's to work well but just from riding bikes back to back with both carbs I feel like the mikuni guzzles fuel compared to the keihn. Overall these bikes make riding a 2 stroke easier and just need a few tweaks. Good luck !

Photo

|