Personal cool stories with pro racers

Boxermann
Edited Date/Time 9/9/2013 7:59am
In 1997 just before thanksgiving i went with my buddies family to glamis.my friend and I were out cruising the dunes during the day and I ceased my 1996 cr 80 expert.i was stuck at the bottom between a couple dunes and nobody stopped to ask if we needed help.

Over the top of one of the dunes appears a group of about a dozen riders.one of them in shift gear riding a kawi scoped out the dunes as if he was going to make a massive leap.im sittin there a kid with a broken mini thinking,is that fro daddy?! the rider goes ahead and makes this awesome dune jump and then rides up to me with a 1 plate on his bike.nobody but Jeff emig came to see if I needed help.i did but was too nervous to say so.i was in shock,it was an awesome day and if somehow emig gets wind of this i just want to say thanks!
|
bh84
Fantasy
1830th
9/6/2013 6:49pm Edited Date/Time 9/6/2013 6:53pm
I've got one

a couple years back I cracked my kneecap and tore my PCL playing hockey (Canada eh?) The doc put me in a leg brace that ran from my thigh to my ankle. 2 days later myself and a few others shipped out to Indy to check out the motorcycle expo. I was crutching around the show for 3 days, so when i saw the O'Gio booth had a couch I made a beeline for it, i didnt really look around until i sat down. I looked up and there are Travis Pastrana and Jeremy Rawle looking at me, Jeremy on crutches and wearing the same brace as me! we sat and talked about how we had gotten ourselves injured and all the various injuries we'd had and the stupid ways we had gotten them, Travis won by a longshot. The coolest thing about it was that Travis and Jeremy had no problem just sitting and shooting the shit with some random kid who had crutched his way into their booth. They just talked to me like a riding buddy. If you didnt know who they were youd never know they were famous by the way they acted. Very cool guys.

It turned out Jeremy was wearing his brace after the Nitro Circus endurocross training clip with Taddy Baluziak. Turns out he was right about his ACL

newmann
9/6/2013 7:22pm
Jimmy Button rode his bicycle all the way from San Diego to my house on the far right side of Texas for my grilled chicken and spaghetti. He's that bad ass.
Jeff K
Fantasy
3743rd
9/6/2013 7:44pm
Last year, My wife and I were at a local sushi joint. Dean Wilson and a couple buddies sat down at the bar next to us. My wife is a teacher and had a student who races and was sidelined with a broken leg. Dean autographed a napkin to the kid and wrote a nice note to him. We're fans for life.
Renner153
Fantasy
3578th
9/6/2013 7:47pm
I rode jet skis with Kyle Chisholm last weekend.

The Shop

Wes782
9/6/2013 8:21pm
My Dad had Travis Pastrana on one of his flights, so he asked one of his flight attendants to give him a note asking if he would come talk to him once they landed. I had a big race that night so my Dad called me and said someone wanted to talk to me. Travis got on the phone and after some convincing me that it was him told me good luck and be safe.
Motoxtombo
9/6/2013 9:02pm
Back in 2001 I was at the KTM dealer meeting in Pennsylvania,at dinner time everyone was getting seated at the tables,our table was one of the few with a couple open seats when Scot Harden from KTM came over and asked if anyone was sitting in the open seats,We said no and then Scot yelled across the room "Hey Grant,there are a couple seats over here" He was yelling to Grant Langston,So Grant and his girlfriend came and sat with us,It was pretty cool,he was so friendly to everyone.

It was a couple days after the Binghamton race where he and Brownie had a couple bar banging episodes,I asked Grant what happened with him and Brown,he said Brown ran him wide a couple times so he just returned the favor. Later on they had a video presentation featuring Grant a lot of the time,it was cool watching the video with Grant sitting a couple seats away from me. I asked him if it was weird watching himself on the big screen,he said it took a while to get used to it.

I've talked to Grant a few times since then when I was at the races taking photos,he away's treats me and most people like old friends,I'm sure he doesn't remember our dinner together at the KTM meeting. lol
rrjr
9/6/2013 9:29pm
When my son was 6 we were racing and practicing a lot at Perris Raceway. Somehow (I can't remember how)after a race we ended up at Mike Metzger's shop. He came up to my son and asked him about how his race went that day. Then he asked him who his favorite rider was. My son answers "Travis Pastrana" I almost died. Mike just smiles at me and then tells my son that Travis is his favorite rider too. He gave my son a hat that he had worn that he had done some of his art work on and an autographed copy of his playstation video game that had just came out.
RexBackman
9/6/2013 10:13pm
Touring the Seattle Children's Hospital oncology ICU ward with RC, Chad, IT9, and Heath Voss for MX for Children a few years ago. Champions all...
9/6/2013 10:39pm
I've seen Grant Langston in person twice; each time I witnessed him take a pee.

This has to be statistically significant.

Does anyone know if he has a bladder problem or something?
AZ35
Fantasy
544th
9/6/2013 11:01pm Edited Date/Time 9/7/2013 9:07am
Emig and Stephenson. Burger King for lunch, and Pizza Hut delivery (to the hotel room) for dinner, on race day. Denny's Dad was a great guy too.

Just a Denver MT Ultracross event before they were major stars (88 I think), but pretty funny to look back on how casual things were back then. They went 1-2 at the race though, so even fast food did not slow them down.

Either 95 or 96, MC was "dating" a girl we all hung around at that time. I recall it was a 3 day weekend, maybe Redbud, he won both motos that weekend and flew into Phoenix for his girl of the moment. We knew MC was coming, so we had a little party at the house (ok, we had parties pretty much every night regardless).

He was the most laid back and cool person, he was just one of the regular crew hanging out. Everyone just casual, a couple of times he sat down on a couch and after a while would get up for a beer. He would always ask me and the others nearby if they wanted another, and would quickly return with another round for all. He won a national hours earlier, and now is just bullshitting and passing out beers like one of the guys.

Playing late 80's video ice racing games (Atari?) with Troy Blake (RIP) at my apartment. Me and my roommates would battle on that ancient TV video game for hours on a 12" TV screen in my room. Troy would get so pissed that we would kick his ass. Such a talent, he owned 81/82 minicycle racing.
9/6/2013 11:20pm
In 2001 I worked for a guy named Eddie who owned Cycle Concepts in MD. That summer he was helping out privateer Ryan Clark at some of the east coast Nationals. I was able to tag along for Mt Morris and Budds creek. I was only eighteen at the time so it was awesome hanging out in the pits, having access all around the tracks and helping out with Ryans bike. The highlight was getting into the Racer X party at Chick N Bones in Morgantown and not getting carded. Needless to say I took advantage and got hammered.
Dparra3
9/6/2013 11:25pm Edited Date/Time 9/6/2013 11:26pm
I have a few actually. It was a few years back at X Games. This was around the time that Macgrath had his one off race so he was there promoting his McGrath invitational race. At the end of the day he was getting ready to leave the back stage area (At this point they wouldnt allow people to wander the moto pits but snuck our way in) and had to get a picture with the King. Totally nice guy, chatted up for a few minutes, took a few pictures and got in his truck and left home.

Also, oddly enough, at X games a few years bike i ran into Ronnie "Kung Fu" Fiest. The guy had his arm taped up from taking a beating trying to do 360s but crashing time and time again. I always thought the guy was a bro and would act like many of the other mulisha guys i had seen before (you know the drill, too cool for skool! ANARCHY). Came up to him as he was walking back from the medical center and was honestly one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Now, maybe it was the pain killers he may have had (because he took a beating trying 360 after 360) but they guy shook our hands and possed with us and had a nice chat. Kung Fu Fiest is A ok in my book.

Still though...nothing stands out more for me than Travis Pastrana. What can you say about that guy? At X games that year he blew out his knee and limped out of the Arena. We walk back hours after the event and there was Travis, siting with a huge ice pack on his blown out knee. The whole time he was apologizing to his fans for not giving a better show. He should of been long gone, but instead he sat for hours signing autographs and talking with whoever made their way to his pit area. Class act.
VET176
9/7/2013 12:44am
Cool stories guys! Keep them coming. Cool
40Plus_922mx
9/7/2013 1:50am
I was ridng a private track up El Toro road towards Cooks Corner with a buddy of mine. I think it was owned by Baldwin Brothers. Anyway my buddy was a local pro. He was taking a break at the truck as I was rolling 50% of the track and squiding out on the rest when two guys show up with a small box van and unload. None other than The Dr and The Beast! While I was still out on the track Damon asks my bro "who's the spode?" And that's how I got my original nickname I used for years playing mcm and mcm2 on The Zone.

I was a huge Bradshaw fan and was completely starstruck when I got back to the truck. He started talking to me as I urinated myself a little. He was telling me to tell my bro to hold it on and don't let off ever this prejump and then he'd clear the table clean. Sure enough it worked.

Damon and Doug proceeded to put on an incredible show clearing quads etc. Then they focused on a big bowl turn. They backed up and pinned I towards the apex of the berm and launched about 40ft high and 100 feet accross a buge boulder wash flat landing the other side.

That was a great day. Had to be around 90/91
C.Worthy
9/7/2013 2:35am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2013 2:39am
Back in November I was riding at Milestone during a week day. I have a younger sibling and it was his birthday the day I was at the track. Millsaps was there testing and I decided to go over to his truck and talk to him and see if he'd wish my younger brother a happy birthday via video recording on an iphone since I went solo and didn't have my bro with me. He was more than happy to do it which was rad, we also talked about him testing at milestone instead of the suzuki test track and all the politics with that. That's not the cool part though.

The cool part was my family members had gone to see him in the pits during the A2 supercross race and told them my story about the birthday deal 2 months back and he completely remembered and even remembered my younger brothers name without even meeting him! He said "Oh you must be Ryder." To have Davi know who he was without ever meeting him definitely shocked my bro. Not only did that make my younger brothers day but it made my family a HUGE supporter and fan of Millsaps. The guy is just super down to earth and real good with his fans. Class act for sure.
blusmbl
9/7/2013 6:06am
Dparra3 wrote:
I have a few actually. It was a few years back at X Games. This was around the time that Macgrath had his one off race...
I have a few actually. It was a few years back at X Games. This was around the time that Macgrath had his one off race so he was there promoting his McGrath invitational race. At the end of the day he was getting ready to leave the back stage area (At this point they wouldnt allow people to wander the moto pits but snuck our way in) and had to get a picture with the King. Totally nice guy, chatted up for a few minutes, took a few pictures and got in his truck and left home.

Also, oddly enough, at X games a few years bike i ran into Ronnie "Kung Fu" Fiest. The guy had his arm taped up from taking a beating trying to do 360s but crashing time and time again. I always thought the guy was a bro and would act like many of the other mulisha guys i had seen before (you know the drill, too cool for skool! ANARCHY). Came up to him as he was walking back from the medical center and was honestly one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Now, maybe it was the pain killers he may have had (because he took a beating trying 360 after 360) but they guy shook our hands and possed with us and had a nice chat. Kung Fu Fiest is A ok in my book.

Still though...nothing stands out more for me than Travis Pastrana. What can you say about that guy? At X games that year he blew out his knee and limped out of the Arena. We walk back hours after the event and there was Travis, siting with a huge ice pack on his blown out knee. The whole time he was apologizing to his fans for not giving a better show. He should of been long gone, but instead he sat for hours signing autographs and talking with whoever made their way to his pit area. Class act.
There was somebody else on this forum that thought Ronnie Faisst was a "bro" too, and months later ended up sitting next to him on a flight. His experience mirrored yours, Ronnie is a genuinely cool, respectful dude.
Tumblin
9/7/2013 6:43am
I slept in RV's bed and not just any night, but the night he won his first SX Main.
I would have rolled over for him but he prefered his Coach....or I should say Motorhome! before you Vitards go all viral.
9/7/2013 8:59am
I was in an elevator coming down from the Press Box at the STL SX in 2003. Travis was talking to me and my buddy mxMike Bell(rip), and as we walked around a corner that was next to a general fan access area, these girls were crying when they saw Travis, like a girl would cry at the Beatles. He was highly embarrassed!
Steiny
9/7/2013 9:18am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2013 9:21am
I wheelied a FZR 750 at 100 mph with Kyle Lewis on the back screaming like a new born baby down Royal Ave.

I Ebrakes a RX7 at 90 with Johhny O'mara in the passenger seat.
Preston412
9/7/2013 9:35am
At a local race a couple years ago, Mike Alessi asked my step son when he went over to get his autograph if he wanted to sit down and hang out at his rig and meet every one. Plus Tony Alessi went to the starting gate for every 50cc and 65cc race and talk to each rider for a second.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
9/7/2013 10:12am
Steiny wrote:
I wheelied a FZR 750 at 100 mph with Kyle Lewis on the back screaming like a new born baby down Royal Ave. I Ebrakes a...
I wheelied a FZR 750 at 100 mph with Kyle Lewis on the back screaming like a new born baby down Royal Ave.

Some crazy shit went down at that house on Royal ave. Those were some interesting days...
Matthes
9/7/2013 10:15am
I hung out with Tim Ferry a couple of times. Guy was so cool.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
9/7/2013 10:34am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2013 10:37am
My sister and I got about every racer in the pits autograph at Daytona in 86 while staying in my uncles RV who was wrenching for a streetbiker at the time. Spent the whole week sitting on Wardy's, Oshow Hannah and Glovers bikes like I owned the place at 12 years old.
I lived in a house on an island owned by the manager of Pantera, GNR sound guy and singer of BioHazard. The bands stayed with us on vacation and they even left a 911 in garage next to my 250 to share while they partied. Very crazy days.
Boxermann
9/7/2013 12:21pm
Matthes wrote:
I hung out with Tim Ferry a couple of times. Guy was so cool.
Big fan of the show and think its awesome you give us a look inside the sport we love but Steve your bromance with ferry is out of control sometimes.lol
Steiny
9/7/2013 1:06pm Edited Date/Time 9/7/2013 1:08pm
Steiny wrote:
I wheelied a FZR 750 at 100 mph with Kyle Lewis on the back screaming like a new born baby down Royal Ave. I Ebrakes a...

avidchimp wrote:
Some crazy shit went down at that house on Royal ave. Those were some interesting days...
For sure, and the same could be said for the other house on Royal occupied by the Hansen family.

Personally, I think just about every rider that grew up in Simi in that time period was just a bit loonier then most and had a closet full of skeletons.
hammertime
9/7/2013 3:59pm
i used to be best buddies with too trick al dyck...the one guy that schooled ross rollerball pederson!!!!!
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2410th
9/7/2013 4:58pm
I was fortunate enough to be Robbie Marshalls mechanic one weekend at Jolly Woohoo Roger MX park. I was in Massachusetts, visiting a girl and He, his Mom, me and a Buddy rode up to the race in their conversion van with a huge water tank under the rear passenger bench. He won all his motos on his Kawi 80, then he lined up with the 125 class on his 80 and led half a lap before he was black flagged.....He's a great kid, I enjoyed every minute.WoohooWoohooWoohooWoohoo
MX Culture
9/7/2013 5:03pm
Renner153 wrote:
I rode jet skis with Kyle Chisholm last weekend.
I hung out with Ricky Renner at Loretta's
zippy895
9/7/2013 5:14pm
I twittered Steve Mathis and he answered me! once.
zippy895
9/7/2013 5:16pm
he's not a pro racer,but he knows a few.

Post a reply to: Personal cool stories with pro racers

The Latest