Perscription MX Goggles (SPY) - Worth it?

Spagina767
9/1/2020 3:20pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2020 10:07pm
I have been tying with the idea of trying these out. My vision isn't terrible - 20/30, with an astigmatism - but it is bad enough that I squint and dislike driving at night... especially in the rain and somewhere I am not familiar with.

I tried out prescription glasses once and it was whole new world. I shortly after lost them, imagine that. But, i remember thinking how nice it would be to see ruts, rocks, etc. Anyway, has anyone ever used them? At a hefty price tag, i'm just wondering if its worth it... leaning towards yes, but want some feedback.

|
Munson'd
Fantasy
1022nd
9/1/2020 4:06pm
I’ve heard mixed reviews about the prescription goggles since the lens is so far from your face it can make things look distorted and shitty.

I’m a glasses wearer and I just wear them under some 100% goggles. That is a hell of a price tag for those especially if you scratch up your lens or something in the first few rides.
OLDMOTO
9/1/2020 4:28pm
Spagina767 wrote:
I have been tying with the idea of trying these out. My vision isn't terrible - 20/30, with an astigmatism - but it is bad enough...
I have been tying with the idea of trying these out. My vision isn't terrible - 20/30, with an astigmatism - but it is bad enough that I squint and dislike driving at night... especially in the rain and somewhere I am not familiar with.

I tried out prescription glasses once and it was whole new world. I shortly after lost them, imagine that. But, i remember thinking how nice it would be to see ruts, rocks, etc. Anyway, has anyone ever used them? At a hefty price tag, i'm just wondering if its worth it... leaning towards yes, but want some feedback.

I'm 64 years old and my vision started getting bad over the last few years. I'm having a harder time seeing detail in the track.

I bought a set of these same prescription lenses from Goggles and More in Florida. It was about $110.00. I received a package from China with the lenses. I think the ones you're looking at are the same ones from the same source in China.

They don't work very well. I couldn't ride with mine. The problem is that the lense is designed like regular eye glass lenses which are positioned very close to your eyes in a conventional set of frames. When these lenses are snapped in to the Goggle against the back of the Goggle lense they are much farther from your eyes. The geometry is all wrong and the lense doesn't align with your eyes properly. You can't focus correctly and you have no depth perception. They aren't designed and ground properly.

There is a company named Pro Vue in the Midwest that has been doing this specifically for motocross for many years. The make their own proprietary lenses in house. I have spoken to two guys that have Pro Vue lenses and both people stated that they worked great. I just got a new prescription and ordered new glasses. After I'm sure they are correct, I'm going to order new goggles and lens from Pro Vue.

You should get your eyes examined first and get a up to date prescription. Its very important to get them to note down on the prescription the distance between your eyes and their indivdual position from center. Go to the Pro Vue website and read all their information before you do anything.
9/1/2020 4:36pm
i got a pair for moto & snowboarding and i can't say enough good things about them.

i don't know if it's the curvature or what, but the first 5 minutes of my first 2-3 rides was really disorienting and perception was all off…was glad to just be ripping around an open field. since then, they've been great. my eyes no longer have to adjust at all.

i can't really speak to fogging yet. that was the main reason i got them—my glasses or goggles would always be fogged previously. but i've never worn these goggles without them, and got a new helmet at the same time. needless to say, they only fog if i'm in the humid garage and clear up soon as i get pull out.
9/1/2020 4:37pm
Munson'd wrote:
I’ve heard mixed reviews about the prescription goggles since the lens is so far from your face it can make things look distorted and shitty. I’m...
I’ve heard mixed reviews about the prescription goggles since the lens is so far from your face it can make things look distorted and shitty.

I’m a glasses wearer and I just wear them under some 100% goggles. That is a hell of a price tag for those especially if you scratch up your lens or something in the first few rides.
this was actually my combo prior, some otg 100% with prescription glasses under. had an awful time with it.

The Shop

DJS721
9/1/2020 4:51pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2020 5:50am
I have had the same issues, and it got to the point with my vision that lenses are the only solution (astigmatism and prism requirement)

RX Goggles and Pro Vue - I cannot say enough how well these have worked and solved my issues. I have clear track vision, not much fogging (no more than when I wore contacts), and totally saved my ability to ride. I huge gain for me

Its not that much money, and well worth the investment
9/1/2020 4:52pm
yeah i don't get the money comment—i'd pay 10x to be able to ride more safely.

i'll have to look at pro-vue. i was under the impression they were the same system as OP.
racin mason
9/1/2020 5:19pm
I bought the pro-vue googles and liked them so much that I bought a second pair.
mtl
9/1/2020 9:21pm
Contact lenses?
Spagina767
9/2/2020 5:22am
mtl wrote:
Contact lenses?
I have 20/30 with an astigmatism. I've tried contact lenses at least five times,with the results not seeming to be good enough for me to deal with using contact lenses. If glasses fix my issues 100%, then in comparison I feel that I only yield 20% better vision with contacts... not enough for me to deal with it... but that's just my experience.
Spagina767
9/2/2020 5:24am
yeah i don't get the money comment—i'd pay 10x to be able to ride more safely. i'll have to look at pro-vue. i was under the...
yeah i don't get the money comment—i'd pay 10x to be able to ride more safely.

i'll have to look at pro-vue. i was under the impression they were the same system as OP.
You're absolutely right. I've never rode with anything corrective so I have no basis to judge from. The price isn't terrible if it works - I was simply trying to make sure that they didn't suck so bad that I use them once or twice, can't stand it and then shelf them. If that would have been the consensus (which, it doesn't seem that way) then I would have been apprehensive to spend the loot.
Spagina767
9/2/2020 5:25am
Munson'd wrote:
I’ve heard mixed reviews about the prescription goggles since the lens is so far from your face it can make things look distorted and shitty. I’m...

The insert goes inside the lens, not outside. So if the lens gets scratched, you just replace the lens. Now, if you scratch them on the inside - that's a different story.
Spagina767
9/2/2020 5:29am
Spagina767 wrote:
I have been tying with the idea of trying these out. My vision isn't terrible - 20/30, with an astigmatism - but it is bad enough...

OLDMOTO wrote:
I'm 64 years old and my vision started getting bad over the last few years. I'm having a harder time seeing detail in the track. I...
I'm 64 years old and my vision started getting bad over the last few years. I'm having a harder time seeing detail in the track.

I bought a set of these same prescription lenses from Goggles and More in Florida. It was about $110.00. I received a package from China with the lenses. I think the ones you're looking at are the same ones from the same source in China.

They don't work very well. I couldn't ride with mine. The problem is that the lense is designed like regular eye glass lenses which are positioned very close to your eyes in a conventional set of frames. When these lenses are snapped in to the Goggle against the back of the Goggle lense they are much farther from your eyes. The geometry is all wrong and the lense doesn't align with your eyes properly. You can't focus correctly and you have no depth perception. They aren't designed and ground properly.

There is a company named Pro Vue in the Midwest that has been doing this specifically for motocross for many years. The make their own proprietary lenses in house. I have spoken to two guys that have Pro Vue lenses and both people stated that they worked great. I just got a new prescription and ordered new glasses. After I'm sure they are correct, I'm going to order new goggles and lens from Pro Vue.

You should get your eyes examined first and get a up to date prescription. Its very important to get them to note down on the prescription the distance between your eyes and their indivdual position from center. Go to the Pro Vue website and read all their information before you do anything.
Awesome, excellent info. Thanks so much. I actually just got my new prescription yesterday - I posted this 20 minutes after getting home from the eye doctor. I will follow your advice and look into pro vue.

Spy uses "sportrx" as their insert provider.
Spagina767
9/2/2020 5:42am
i got a pair for moto & snowboarding and i can't say enough good things about them. i don't know if it's the curvature or what...
i got a pair for moto & snowboarding and i can't say enough good things about them.

i don't know if it's the curvature or what, but the first 5 minutes of my first 2-3 rides was really disorienting and perception was all off…was glad to just be ripping around an open field. since then, they've been great. my eyes no longer have to adjust at all.

i can't really speak to fogging yet. that was the main reason i got them—my glasses or goggles would always be fogged previously. but i've never worn these goggles without them, and got a new helmet at the same time. needless to say, they only fog if i'm in the humid garage and clear up soon as i get pull out.
What brand do you have? Is it through spy (who uses Sport RX) or is it Pro Vue as the other member mentioned?

Do you switch the corrective lens between the snowboard and moto goggles, or did you buy two corrective kits? My snowboard goggles are much more curved, so I don't know how that will work out.

I am super excited to finally drop the coin to be able to see... I've rode moto for 26 years, and have known for at least the last 10-15 that my distance vision and clarity wasn't amazing but i just dealt with it. The doctor laughed yesterday when i told him my activities, and said that i'd definitely welcome the improved eyesight judging by how poor it is. Whoops!
Munson'd
Fantasy
1022nd
9/2/2020 6:29am
Munson'd wrote:

Spagina767 wrote:
The insert goes inside the lens, not outside. So if the lens gets scratched, you just replace the lens. Now, if you scratch them on the...
The insert goes inside the lens, not outside. So if the lens gets scratched, you just replace the lens. Now, if you scratch them on the inside - that's a different story.
Well shit, that changes everything. So do those prescription lenses kind of just clip into the goggle like a normal lens?
Tuna
9/2/2020 6:32am
I tried the googles and was not a fan. I just use contacts when I ride. Works best for me.
408Jeepster
9/2/2020 7:30am
I’ve tried the SportRX setup and could not use them. I wish someone just made a prescription lens. The sportRX insert clips into the goggle right behind the lens. It made me disoriented and motion sick. I couldn’t do a lap with them on. I tried to modify them so the insert sat close to your face like regular glasses but then I could see the reflection of the insert in the goggle lens and that made me crazy. I just wear my regular glasses and Scott OTG goggles.
Rupert X
9/2/2020 7:41am
Gonna save you about $300 here.... zennioptical.com thank me later.
jeffro503
9/2/2020 7:50am
I was using the Scott Hustles with a prescription insert I got from RX goggle's....and it was probably the best investment I ever made for myself in the past 10 years. What was also great about it , was my insert fits perfectly inside my new Airbrakes as well , after filing off about an 1/8" on the two little posts on the bottom. My eyesight was pretty bad though , and without them , I couldn't make out anything on the ground.
dl117
Fantasy
2546th
9/2/2020 9:03am
I tried contacts and hated them and just dealt with glasses. I got a new pair of glasses for on my Harley and now use them under my goggles, they are a wrap around Oakley with a clear lens and they work better than any others I have tried before.
jeffro503
9/2/2020 9:46am
dl117 wrote:
I tried contacts and hated them and just dealt with glasses. I got a new pair of glasses for on my Harley and now use them...
I tried contacts and hated them and just dealt with glasses. I got a new pair of glasses for on my Harley and now use them under my goggles, they are a wrap around Oakley with a clear lens and they work better than any others I have tried before.
I had issues with my contacts as well. Mostly when I rode , but also at my work. I deal with a lot of dust , and it would find it's way underneath. The day I stopped where my contacts when riding was a day I was riding a section up at Mtn View MX. The back section after you clear the huge mountain jump into the valley and head back up towards the stands , you are 4th gear pinned. I hit a bad breaking bump / rut at the bottom , my contacts were dry , I must of blinked hard , and one blew off my eye and stuck to my goggle lens. The other rolled up on my eye....totally blind , 4th gear veering off into the weeds. That was it for me wearing contacts!
moto711
9/2/2020 9:50am
Are these directly from SPY? If so they are made by SportsRX. Which is what I have. I have been running the goggle inserts for the last 3-4 years and love them. The first time you run them they are a little funky but once my eyes adjusted I dont notice it anymore. For a guy that cant wear contacts and used to run glasses under my goggles this is a lifesaver!
Only downfall is if your in a mud race and you have to pull your goggles off you are kinda in the dark.

Check out Sportrx.com cause they can do the goggle inserts for a lot of different brands Oakley, Scott, 100%, Spy, ETC.
OLDMOTO
9/2/2020 10:57am
Its very important to have a very current prescription and to have them note the distance of the pupils from each other. I forgot the technical term for it. But without that precise measurement the lens won't work properly. Having someone hold a ruler in front of your eyes and guessing the distance of the pupils won't work. Get the eye doctor to do it.
From my experience I think the key is that the lenses are specifically designed for the increased distance from the eye when placed against the goggle lens. Lenses have to be positioned and shaped differently in this application. My eye doctor explained that the ones I purchased were just the prescription for use in standard frames and not adjusted for the increased distance and width of the goggle lens. The eyes cannot focus correctly as the eyes don't align to the lense properly.
I made the mistake of not getting references for a experienced reliable lense provider. As I stated in an earlier post two people recommended Pro-Vue and stated to me that they had excellent results. Im going to give them a try.

jbrownmxr
9/2/2020 1:18pm
I started with the Scott over the glasses rout, then pro-vue, and finally goggle Rx. That was 30 years ago.

Pto Vue is a good product, goggle rx is better. The
inserts that Rx uses is sturdier, and re-useable. And if you change goggle type you’ll get a credit towards a different insert.

The problem with all these systems is the same. You’ve 4 surfaces in front of your eye. The front of lens you can wipe off or add tear off, the back of the lens, and the front and back of the Rx lens. For a desert guy this is a REAL problem. You’ve got to stop and clean whole set up to see. In addition sweating in cold weather can cause fogging. I’ve tried all sorts of crazy things to rectify this. Seems to me getting Lasix would be easier.

Having said all that I wouldn’t ride without them, they work perfectly 90% of the time. And when I have to pull over to sort them it gives me time to catch my breath.

I recommend Goggle Rx. It’s a better product.
cfox109
Fantasy
1748th
9/2/2020 1:53pm
I got the sport rx last week. I tried them out doing some DH mountain biking and I felt better without them. I wore them for a long time before my first ride but never got adjusted to them. They are too far from your face and cause a zooming effect like others have said. The prescription and everything is perfect when you move the lenses close to your face but in the goggles they are too far away and don't account for that distance.
9/2/2020 10:07pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2020 10:14pm
Spagina767 wrote:
What brand do you have? Is it through spy (who uses Sport RX) or is it Pro Vue as the other member mentioned? Do you switch...
What brand do you have? Is it through spy (who uses Sport RX) or is it Pro Vue as the other member mentioned?

Do you switch the corrective lens between the snowboard and moto goggles, or did you buy two corrective kits? My snowboard goggles are much more curved, so I don't know how that will work out.

I am super excited to finally drop the coin to be able to see... I've rode moto for 26 years, and have known for at least the last 10-15 that my distance vision and clarity wasn't amazing but i just dealt with it. The doctor laughed yesterday when i told him my activities, and said that i'd definitely welcome the improved eyesight judging by how poor it is. Whoops!
sport rx in some oakleys (both snow and mx—i wanted to be able to share the insert).

had a great experience with their customer service too. my snowboard goggles arrived with a scratch on the lens. i let them know, and there was a miscommunication on their end, and they sent me another prescription insert. let them know i appreciated it but that my lens was still scratched—so they let me keep the extra insert, and refunded me 90 bucks or something so i could buy a new goggle lens since they don't sell just lenses as a separate item.

all this was right at peak covid, to boot.

to make this even more confusing, i actually bought 3 goggles—a moto and snowboard they said could take the same insert, and a moto i wanted more but they said it wouldn't work. it was a tight fit, but the same insert actually worked fine in both the moto goggle i wanted and the snow. so because of their aforementioned mistake, i don't even need to swap them—have one for each.
Munson'd
Fantasy
1022nd
9/3/2020 11:08am
I have a lazy eye so my glasses have a prism to prevent double vision so contacts are out of the question.

My glasses fit under 100% Acurri just fine and I can see great....until I start sweating balls and the sweat builds up on my glasses. I probably just need to ride faster, but it can be hard in tight single track.

Post a reply to: Perscription MX Goggles (SPY) - Worth it?

The Latest