People out there with RAM Promasters?

Cygrace74
Looking at a diesel 2500 tomorrow with 90,000 miles. Wasn’t even considering one and been looking for a transit until this great deal came up. Any cons to the pro master or big longevity issues. Would be my first diesel as well
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
12/9/2018 3:07pm
I have the gas and love the size. Mine is at 10,000 miles. If it’s the right price, why not?
Cygrace74
12/9/2018 3:53pm
16,900 for the diesel with 90,000 I think is a decent deal for a high roof.
Idaho747
12/9/2018 4:04pm
Anything diesel is awesome... Until it breaks. Parts are twice as much and if you don't do it yourself hourly rate is insane. Always run good clean fuel and oil. Cetane nbers in diesel bounce around like crazy from tank to tank so run a good fuel addative.
Muche important in diesel than gas. But the engine itself will last much longer. Than a gas and have much less stress on it.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
12/9/2018 4:16pm
While I've read good about the diesel engine, the transmission behind it is different than the gas and is supposedly a pile of $h!t. Doing a couple quick searches on the diesel promaster turned up some nightmare threads on them, plenty lemon lawed. Seems like the gas one is a better choice on the Promaster...this coming from someone who grew up with diesels only and currently has one, ha.

The Shop

Idaho747
12/9/2018 4:21pm
ML512 wrote:
While I've read good about the diesel engine, the transmission behind it is different than the gas and is supposedly a pile of $h!t. Doing a...
While I've read good about the diesel engine, the transmission behind it is different than the gas and is supposedly a pile of $h!t. Doing a couple quick searches on the diesel promaster turned up some nightmare threads on them, plenty lemon lawed. Seems like the gas one is a better choice on the Promaster...this coming from someone who grew up with diesels only and currently has one, ha.
Agreed. The auto trans had always been dodges shortcoming. Int the pi kups they got better with the AISIN trans but still not great. Not sure what they put in the promaster but see if you can do some trans tuning on it and it should help quite a bit.
Cygrace74
12/9/2018 5:11pm
ML512 wrote:
While I've read good about the diesel engine, the transmission behind it is different than the gas and is supposedly a pile of $h!t. Doing a...
Just started reading and saw the same thing, bummer for it being a good deal. Looks like the hunt for a Transit continues
Do_Work
12/9/2018 7:46pm
I heard it's pretty funny seeing a promaster towing a trailer trying to turn at the same time.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
12/9/2018 8:01pm
Do_Work wrote:
I heard it's pretty funny seeing a promaster towing a trailer trying to turn at the same time.
Why, because that have a bad turning radius?
49weasel
12/9/2018 8:07pm
ML512 wrote:
Cygrace74 wrote:
Just started reading and saw the same thing, bummer for it being a good deal. Looks like the hunt for a Transit continues
I had a nightmare of a time with my Transit. Bought it brand new and on the second day at 413 miles the engine took a shit. Constant issues with the doors.
Owned it 5 months and it was in the shop for 8 weeks.
RickyRoss519
Fantasy
2351st
12/9/2018 8:46pm Edited Date/Time 12/9/2018 8:46pm
Im interested in the promaster city. Seen a fella here with 2 bikes packed inSmile plus it looks to be a good commuter.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
12/9/2018 10:19pm
Do_Work wrote:
Markee wrote:
Why, because that have a bad turning radius?
It's because they're front wheel drive. The more you load them down the worse physics gets for driving them.
cody41
12/10/2018 5:11am
ML512 wrote:
Cygrace74 wrote:
49weasel wrote:
I had a nightmare of a time with my Transit. Bought it brand new and on the second day at 413 miles the engine took a...
I had a nightmare of a time with my Transit. Bought it brand new and on the second day at 413 miles the engine took a shit. Constant issues with the doors.
My buddy has the diesel transit and has nothing but problems as well.
Timo_2824
12/10/2018 5:17am
49weasel wrote:
I had a nightmare of a time with my Transit. Bought it brand new and on the second day at 413 miles the engine took a...
We bought 2 short height long wheelbase Transits with the 3.5 Ecoboost engines for work, both are at ~15,000 miles with no issues at all. We we're buying pickups after they quit making the Econoline's because the Transit was more expensive, but it's going to be the only thing we buy from now on. I do wish they had the 5.0 v8 as an option though.
billyp330
12/10/2018 5:51am
49weasel wrote:
Timo_2824 wrote:
We bought 2 short height long wheelbase Transits with the 3.5 Ecoboost engines for work, both are at ~15,000 miles with no issues at all. We...
We bought 2 short height long wheelbase Transits with the 3.5 Ecoboost engines for work, both are at ~15,000 miles with no issues at all. We we're buying pickups after they quit making the Econoline's because the Transit was more expensive, but it's going to be the only thing we buy from now on. I do wish they had the 5.0 v8 as an option though.
My dad has a 09 e350 with the 5.4 in it. Love that thing. Has over 240,000 miles and still rungs strong. My old man hauls lumber for amish and they love 5.4 e350s. They swear they never get less then 300,000 miles out of them. The high roof of the transit sure would be nice though. We have been looking at em for a bit but we were told the Mercedes Sprinters are the best overall as they are still built on a truck chassis were as the transit and promasters are not. I haven't actually looked at them myself though to verify that.
Spooner
12/10/2018 6:21am
I've not heard much good about the Promasters unfortunately. The Alpinestars guys got diesel Transits and the guy that rides with me the most has about 145k on it and its been pretty good. Recently he had some exhaust filter issues but otherwise its been pretty solid. I have a 20015 Transit Connect with 155k on it and its been bulletproof so far. Hell I'm still on the original brake pads haha! I am starting to think about what to get next though and I am thinking hard about going to the short/low roof Transit but I'd go either 3.7 or ecoboost. I wish they had the 2.7 ecoboost available just to get a little better mileage as that's the main hang up I'm having with going to the full size transit.
ob
12/10/2018 8:08am
They stopped selling the diesel promaster for a reason. Those euro diesels suck with the US emissions systems. That's why I bought a gasser. Lots cheaper, faster, more reliable.

Post a reply to: People out there with RAM Promasters?

The Latest