Penalized Riders and inconsistant penalties

I'm curious how penalties and fines are determined. Craig destroys Martin and Martin is out for minimum 2 races. Reed holds up a rider for approx. 8 seconds and was given a more severe penalty. Would Craig have been given more if Martin was in a championship hunt? I'm sure there is more examples.
|
4rings
4/5/2017 6:53pm
Depends what Christmas and birthday gift you provide John Gallagher
kiwifan
4/5/2017 6:57pm
I'm curious how penalties and fines are determined. Craig destroys Martin and Martin is out for minimum 2 races. Reed holds up a rider for approx...
I'm curious how penalties and fines are determined. Craig destroys Martin and Martin is out for minimum 2 races. Reed holds up a rider for approx. 8 seconds and was given a more severe penalty. Would Craig have been given more if Martin was in a championship hunt? I'm sure there is more examples.
Difference is Reed broke the blue flags rules (for much longer than 8 seconds by the way), Craig did not break a rule just made a very aggressive pass...it is that black and white.
wfo4ever
4/5/2017 7:20pm Edited Date/Time 4/5/2017 7:21pm
It is known as the "AMA", they can and will screw up anything. It is time to give them the boot, they are not good for our sport or anything else to do with motorcycles. They suck and it has been this way for years.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
4/5/2017 7:23pm Edited Date/Time 4/5/2017 7:26pm
1) Has the guy partied in Temecula?

2) Is he into wife swapping in the pits?

3) Are his sprocket bolts tight?

The Shop

speed_racer
Fantasy
2007th
4/5/2017 7:37pm
Example:

Anderson slaps Friese and get cut for a race.
Tickle slaps Barcia and gets a hug.
yzf842
4/5/2017 11:23pm
Or because dungey is the golden pony boy who's supposed to retire as the champ. Fuck Ralph Shaheen is going to be so annoying this week
bobojim
4/6/2017 12:28am
yzf842 wrote:
Or because dungey is the golden pony boy who's supposed to retire as the champ. Fuck Ralph Shaheen is going to be so annoying this week
Take your hate elsewhere.

To the OP, Reed was docked the same points as if he was black flagged in the race - which is what should have happened. Fines are discretionary as best I can tell. The rule book has specific guidelines they try to follow. Read the rule book first I would suggest.

But there is still big variations and things that at the very least seem unfair or disproportionate. Happens in any sport though.... try women's golf recently.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
4/6/2017 12:38am
You need to remember that Reed also got DQed for taking Carnard out on purpose after Trey being Trey took both himself and Reed out. So that is why I bet they went after him this time. I had no problem when Reed punted Carnard because he had it coming but to screw up a championship contender because he called you immature kind of proved Dungeys point.
ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
4/6/2017 10:11am
Also the difference between penalizing Dungey by relegating his position for the red cross flag violation, which was a split second transgression with a flag barely visible vs Reed's multiple viewings of the Official BluCru flag over a nearly 3 minute period.

At least the inconsistency is consistent.

This is an area that really needs to be improved IMO. Professional officiating should mean consistent disciplinary actions.
dkg
4/6/2017 10:27am
ACBraap wrote:
Also the difference between penalizing Dungey by relegating his position for the red cross flag violation, which was a split second transgression with a flag barely...
Also the difference between penalizing Dungey by relegating his position for the red cross flag violation, which was a split second transgression with a flag barely visible vs Reed's multiple viewings of the Official BluCru flag over a nearly 3 minute period.

At least the inconsistency is consistent.

This is an area that really needs to be improved IMO. Professional officiating should mean consistent disciplinary actions.
Agreed. I raised some of the issues I see with officiating in another thread, however, I think because that thread was in the process of going off the rails any real discussion didn't occur. These are:

Under the present method, I don't believe the race director has the capacity to observe and enforce the rules. Frankly, no one person would have that ability. Lets just take the Reed situation, (I am giving the benefit of the doubt here) perhaps he sees ignoring the flags on one part of the track, his attention is then drawn to another part of the track, later he sees Reed again in front of Dunge, well there are many circumstances that can lead to that occurring, and, unless he monitors Reed and Dunge continuously, he might not even interpret events as a violation or he might see it as a minor infraction simply because he isn't able to follow everything at once.

Also, the Race Director because of all the other duties has much more involvement with the teams, riders, etc. This Involvement can and probably does lead to inconsistent application. For instance, one particular rider could behave like an ass earlier in the day and then have a violation. Another rider could have behaved much better in the day prior to a violation. Although both violations are the same, the reaction of any one individual will be a tendency to treat the two individuals differently.

I think the enforcement of rules and race monitoring should be spread amongst multiple observers and those observers should be isolated from other aspects of managing the event or teams that could influence enforcement.
ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
4/6/2017 10:36am
dkg wrote:
Agreed. I raised some of the issues I see with officiating in another thread, however, I think because that thread was in the process of going...
Agreed. I raised some of the issues I see with officiating in another thread, however, I think because that thread was in the process of going off the rails any real discussion didn't occur. These are:

Under the present method, I don't believe the race director has the capacity to observe and enforce the rules. Frankly, no one person would have that ability. Lets just take the Reed situation, (I am giving the benefit of the doubt here) perhaps he sees ignoring the flags on one part of the track, his attention is then drawn to another part of the track, later he sees Reed again in front of Dunge, well there are many circumstances that can lead to that occurring, and, unless he monitors Reed and Dunge continuously, he might not even interpret events as a violation or he might see it as a minor infraction simply because he isn't able to follow everything at once.

Also, the Race Director because of all the other duties has much more involvement with the teams, riders, etc. This Involvement can and probably does lead to inconsistent application. For instance, one particular rider could behave like an ass earlier in the day and then have a violation. Another rider could have behaved much better in the day prior to a violation. Although both violations are the same, the reaction of any one individual will be a tendency to treat the two individuals differently.

I think the enforcement of rules and race monitoring should be spread amongst multiple observers and those observers should be isolated from other aspects of managing the event or teams that could influence enforcement.
Completely agree. And, while to us fans, it was evident that a black flag should have been thrown during the race, most of the time I think a better process would be to review tape, talk to people, and issue penalties after the race. The current process isn't working well at all.

Post a reply to: Penalized Riders and inconsistant penalties

The Latest